Part Four

China Doll

Time heals all wounds, or so people say, but sometimes wounds can never heal no matter how much time has passed.

 

 

 

Daehyun’s eyes slowly fluttered as his blurry vision suddenly came into view. He looked around the unfamiliar room covered in cheap blue wallpaper and gasped a little as he saw a mop of dark cherry red hair lying beside him on the bed.

The figure stirred in his sleep and looked up at Daehyun with wide doe eyes.

“You’re awake. How are you feeling?” Youngjae asked quietly.

“Am I- Am I dead?” Daehyun whispered to the younger.

“No. I saved you before Dasom did any permanent damage. Why didn’t you fight back, Daehyun? Why did you just let her hurt you? You could have stopped her!” Youngjae shouted as tears began to roll down his fair cheeks.

“It was my…punishment for what I did to you,” Daehyun replied so softly that Youngjae could barely make out what he had said.

“You’re an idiot Jung Daehyun. A complete fool and an idiot, to say the least. I forgave you for what you did a long time ago, Daehyun. I let go of the past and moved on with my life. I’m happy where I am now. Why can’t you do the same?” Youngjae questioned as he looked at Daehyun with tears in his eyes.

“How can I be happy when I don’t have you in my life, Youngjae? You’re my brother, and I’ve loved you for years. You were the only good thing in my life, and when I thought I lost you because of what I did, then I couldn’t live with myself anymore.” Daehyun said softly as his eyes started to well up.

Youngjae had never seen Daehyun cry before, and he hated seeing him like this. His heart grew heavy as he brushed his thumb along Daehyun’s bruised cheek to wipe away the stray tear that rolled down.

“I think you should go back to your home after they release you from the hospital,” Youngjae whispered as he felt Daehyun take his hand in his and look deeply into his eyes.

“Come with me then. We can start over. Mother and father will be happy to know that you are alive.” Daehyun stated as he felt Youngjae gently caress his cheek.

“I can’t, Daehyun,” Youngjae replied.

“Why not? If this is about what I did to you, then I’m so sorry, Youngjae. I’m so sorry for what I did.” Daehyun mumbled as he shook his head, and the tears started to flow again.

“I know you are, Daehyun. I see that now. I can’t go back with you because the brother you once knew no longer exists. Jung Youngjae died three years ago in that car crash. Your brother is dead, Daehyun.” Youngjae said as Daehyun widened his eyes.

“What did you do, Youngjae?” Daehyun asked in shock.

“I did what I had to do. It’s better this way.” Youngjae replied sadly.

“Better for who? For you or me?” Daehyun hissed as he felt his anger build up inside of him.

“For the both of us,” Youngjae stated.

“Why? You’re my brother, and I love you.” Daehyun whispered.

“I did this because of your love. I have a confession to make myself Daehyun.” Youngjae whispered back as he leaned in closer towards Daehyun.

“What’s that?” Daehyun whispered as he felt the younger's hot breath danced across his bruised skin.

“I love you too, Daehyun,” Youngjae spoke softly as tears rolled down his cheeks.

Youngjae closed his eyes and lightly pressed his lips against Daehyun’s. A goodbye kiss is always the hardest, and he couldn’t stop the tears that fell as he felt Daehyun kiss him back.

Both hearts were beating rapidly and yet in sync as Youngjae slowly pulled away from the elder with a flushed face. His thumb traced along Daehyun’s bottom lip as he wiped away his tears with his other hand.

“I love you, Daehyun, but this is goodbye. Please don’t come looking for me. I’m happy where I am now. I’m sorry, but you and I can’t be together, Daehyun. It just doesn’t work that way. You and I come from two very different worlds, and I was never meant to exist in yours.” Youngjae said as he placed a gentle kiss on Daehyun’s forehead and quickly walked away, ignoring the shouts of his name coming from the elder's scarlet-colored lips.

 

 

 

Youngjae stepped out of the hospital and wiped away his final tears as he watched Yongguk walk up next to him with a sad look on his face.

“You sure you did the right thing, kid?” Yongguk asked as he placed a hand on Youngjae’s shoulder.

“No, but I know what I’m doing. If he really loves me, then he’ll come back for me, and when he does, I’ll be waiting for him.” Youngjae replied as he looked up to the sky with a smile on his face.

“And if he does come back for you?” Yongguk questioned as he raised a brow.

“Then I’ll follow him to the ends of the Earth. I’m in love with him, and I always have been. He and I were never meant to be brothers. I’m just hoping he realizes that and figures it out soon.” Youngjae sighed.

“Right. Didn’t you say your parents planned things out between you two?” Yongguk asked in curiosity.

“Yes. Our parents wanted to find someone that Daehyun would want to spend the rest of his life with. It’s funny how fate works. I wanted nothing more than to be loved, and Daehyun wanted to find someone he could love. What a fine pair we both make. I’ll have to thank our parents for helping us find each other one day.” Youngjae murmured as he let out a soft chuckle.

“So why all the theatrics then? Why not just run away with Daehyun right now and start a new life together and be happy for the rest of your lives?”

“Because Daehyun is still trying to figure out who he really is and what he really wants. I don’t want him to make mistakes and regret anything. I will gladly wait for him for as long as it takes. I will never give up on him.”

“Then I won’t stand in your way. Your mind seems to be made up. I’m here for you if you ever need help.” Yongguk said softly as he shoved his hands in his pockets and began to walk away.

Youngjae wanted Daehyun back. He wanted the real Daehyun back. The Daehyun that he had fallen in love with had shown him nothing but kindness, that was also brave and always stood up for what he believed in.

Youngjae would stop at nothing until he got his brother back.

I will never give up on my brother.


A/N: I apologize if this story is making anyone depressed. There will be happiness for DaeJae, but we have to get through all of the bad times to get to the good times. Any guesses on what will happen now? Let's keep our eyes on Daehyun....and maybe even Zelo...perhaps? Possibly Yongguk and Himchan, but of course, we can't forget about Youngjae, Bom, and Jongup. Comments and subscribers are always welcome here. Thank you so much to those of you that have been commenting, subscribing and to those of you that have voted up this story as well. Thank you!!!!! ^_^