39

Snowing in the summer

“Markie Markie!” SoAh was at her locker when she overheard YooJin calling out for Mark, and she was holding on to his arms. She felt weak looking at their intimacy, and resisted the urge to storm up and tell that girl that Mark is hers.

“Yah! Mark!” they stopped a good distance for SoAh to notice their interaction but because there are too many students in the crowd, they aren’t able to spot SoAh. It was so crowded, but in Soah's view, they seem to have a spotlight on them or rather on him, that she could always spot him so easily.

so she was the girl Mark is going out with now? Look at her, she’s so much better than Min SoAh” SoAh overheard those gossips and decided to ignore, she just wanted to collect her books faster and head back to the class, avoiding those gossips and crowd, most importantly, avoid Mark. She was busying with her things when gasp coming from the crowd stopped her action. She regretted being a curious turtle and turned the way. Her books dropped from her hand to the ground. Her broken heart was still and for a moment, she only felt numbness. Her mind went blank, so did her heart as she swallowed hard as if something was blocking , she felt difficulty in her breathing.

Looking at the scene of Mark kissing another girl, her hand turned in to fists, her finger dug into her palm until she felt them bleed. But the pain was nothing compared to how she felt looking at them together. The pain she felt was like being trapped alone in the darkest bottomless pit, with a sword piercing through her already aching heart. The broken heart was silent; it can’t be seen but the blood bleeds inside.

Her breathing got faster. She wanted to turn away but her body refuses to listen to her. She kept staring at the scene. Mark didn’t push her away.

She couldn’t hear anything else. She couldn't think about anything else but that, but she doesn't have the power to stop him now.

“Yes, you guys are right, we are getting married next month!” That YooJin girl announced. Even GOT7 who were at the scene got a shock even when they knew it beforehand. They didn’t expect their childhood friend to announce like this, in front of everyone else. They were searching for the particular girl, to see if she was aware of the scene, because they hope she was not present at the scene.

Next month…I may or may not be around. At least, you will still be happy.

SoAh thought sadly before leaving the scene. Tears surrounded her eyes, never had she felt so broken. Like her world has collapsed, she was torn apart. She dragged herself to the back of the school as she sat at the bleacher alone, silence engulfed her. The scene of them kissing, the fact that Mark did not push her away, made her wonder if Mark had really loved her. It was in girls, for overly thinking. She thought back when she saw him with Dayul. Was he playing with her all along? Was he ever serious with her?

She closed and open her eyes. She didn’t felt like going to class anymore. She didn’t felt like staying in school today. Her attendance doesn’t matter anyway, considering that she believed she will leaving the school in few weeks’ time. She did tell BamBam about her condition but she never tell him she was going to leave everyone, she decided not to because it will only make it harder to leave.

She walked out of the school not caring if anyone is going to stop her. She headed straight to the flower shop and helped out the whole day there before returning home. Halmoni did ask her why she didn’t attend school, she just shrugged it off by saying it was a home learning day. At least, she had a great time there.


“Seriously Mark Tuan?  You just let YooJin kiss you like this? In front of everyone? What if SoAh was there?” Jackson have been nagging Mark since that incident that afternoon. Mark was getting frustrated with his friends. It was SoAh that broke up with him, not the other way round, so why was he the one getting blamed. He was hurting the most, he thought, he was also heartbroken, he felt that as if everything he had believed in was demolished, like a flame had burnt through it. He was too, ripped apart, as much as SoAh.

“So what if she’s there Jackson, so what? She was the one that threw me away, did you forget?” Mark exaggerated his tone with his hands action.

“You too believe that she still loves you right Mark, maybe she did really has her own reason”

“What reason is so important that she has to break up with me? That a few days prior, she told me that she loves me. What reason is it that she couldn’t tell me? That she has to lie to me that she got together with me because of money? Maybe she did really get together with me because of money.” 

“I can’t communicate with you, you two are the same, stubborn kids.” Jackson said while shaking his head, turning to walk away but stopped when he heard Mark shouted.

“ARRRG! I WANT TO KNOW THE REASON TOO! YOU KNOW EACH TIME YOU MENTION HER, I FELT LIKE PART OF ME WAS TORN APART.” Mark held onto his head and cry, “I LOVE HER, I REALLY DO! IT ING HURT SO MUCH. I...Just wish you all could stop talking about her...” 

Jackson sighed before walking back to his brother and embrace him.

“I hated myself for not pushing YooJin away, but I felt nothing, really. I just hope when SoAh sees that scene, she will regret. I don’t want to marry YooJin, but I have no choice. Part of me thought it was great that SoAh decided to leave me so I don’t have to hurt her when I am forced to marry YooJin, but part of me was afraid, I don’t know what to do… I hate SoAh, I don’t know what I will do if whatever she said is true…”

“Mark, if whatever she said is true, then I will help you to get rid her.”


On the Saturday morning, BamBam stopped by SoAh house, he had planned to bring SoAh out because he was aware that her brothers would be out working and she would be left alone.

“Oh BamBam? Why are you here?” SeongJun opened the door when he was met with a casually dressed BamBam.

“Hyung, if you don’t mind, I am going to bring SoAh out”

“Yeah, but you are too early, she’s still on bed. It’s a good thing though, me and hyung is going to work. At least we know that she’s not alone, even when she’s getting better.” BamBam was happy to hear that SoAh was getting better, but he was concerned. Was she really getting better? Or was she getting better at hiding her emotions and feelings.

“It’s alright hyung, I will wait for her” SeongJun brought BamBam in and said he will wake SoAh up. BamBam rejected saying she needed more rest but SeongJun just didn’t want her to sleep in for too long. In actual fact, he just wants to disturb his sister. JunSeo came out to see BamBam and greeted him like he was used to the fact of BamBam appearing at his house.

“SoAh~~~~ Wakey wakey.” SeongJun sung when he has yet to even step in to the room. SoAh was a light sleeper, she tossed and turned but did not attempt to even wake up. SeongJun slapped his sister’s thigh, “Yah piggy! BamBam is here, wake up now” SeongJun proceeded to tickle his sister but was replied by a series of groaning.

“URG! Enough oppa!” she whined, frustrated. “I got it I got it! I am going to wake up, go away” she kicked her brother down her bed. She reluctantly pulled herself up and went to the toilet to wash up.

“Why are you here so early BamBam” SoAh questioned while tying her hair.

“Prepare yourself SoAh, I want to bring you out” SoAh didn’t ask anymore and just went back to the bathroom to wash up, and get changed.

“I know we’ve said this too many times but BamBam, please make sure she’s okay. Takecare of her alright.” JunSeo nagged.

“Don’t worry hyung”


“Yah BamBam!!! Wait for me!” BamBam brought SoAh to the theme park, but unexpectedly, SoAh was enjoying, while BamBam was shrieking every seconds. He didn’t think that SoAh would be so excited to try out every ride. Once BamBam was let out of the ride, he stumbled far away from it as quickly as possible, followed by SoAh strolling behind, laughing at him. Especially when they were queueing for T-express, BamBam’s expression was what kept the long queueing time interesting.

“you brought me here but you couldn’t wait to leave here already” SoAh commented, still laughing at BamBam’s misfortune.

“I didn’t think you have the guts to do all these, man, those were crazy. No no, it’s murderous.” His foolish description made SoAh cracked up again.

“Alright, let’s leave, we can have early dinner together”

“You sure you had enough? We were barely here for 2 hours”

“Barely 2 hours, but you are barely alive, let’s go” SoAh rushes BamBam out of the themed park and they strolled to the nearest Pojangmacha as SoAh was craving for some street food.

“You sure can eat a lot” BamBam’s mouth was agape while watching SoAh eat.

“No more burden now, of course I can eat so much” BamBam knew what she meant but decided to ignore.

“Eat slowly, no one is snatching it away from you!” BamBam took away the fishcake stick on SoAh’s hand and put it into his own mouth. Gaining a disapprove look from SoAh.

They were laughing at each other’s joke when they heard familiar voices behind them.

“Yah! Eat your own food stop taking mine!”

“Yours looks nicer”

They could clearly hear the couple behind them. The guy’s voice was what caught their attention, it was so familiar, too familiar for Soah's liking. BamBam knew the voice of the female, he had heard it since young, how could he not recognise it. He didn’t want to, because he knew who was it.

He tried distracting SoAh but it was too late, she had already turned her attention to the couple. It was almost as if it was a natural reflection of hers to react to his voice.

“SoAh…”

She let out a small smile. “It’s alright let’s just continue eating, then go” That was what she wished to do, but her wish was never grant.

“Oh look, who’s that!” Mark said sarcastically.

“Oh BamBam oppa!” YooJin excitedly, running forward to hug BamBam, when she released, she spotted the unfamiliar girl beside her oppa.

“This is? Mark you know her too?” that question hit SoAh hard, what will Mark answer, she wondered.

“Her? Of course, why would I not know. She's someone very popular in MJT ”

“Was it the beggar girl that Joy told me?” SoAh had no idea what was Mark getting at but this YooJin girl doesn't seem to give a dam about SoAh. She seemed to have heard a lot from the way she spoke. 

“Yeah, like a dangerous lowest grade beggar.” Mark smirked. SoAh face fell. YooJin was laughing. “What the hell Mark? I am sorry, I shouldn’t be judging you when I don't know you. Oppa likes to joke a lot, please don't blame him.” Is she even sorry? Did she really not get it, or was she laughing because Mark actually told her about their story. And Oppa? Why is she calling him Oppa. Even SoAh hasn't even got the chance to call him Oppa.  

Mark went up to SoAh, and leaned into her ears. She could hear her heart skipped a beat. “Shouldn’t you be gone with your money? Or are you still here so you can pull your trick on BamBam as well?”

SoAh walked away, fists tightly clenched, without saying anything.

“Hyung, that’s too much for calling her a beggar” BamBam warned his hyung before chasing after SoAh.

SoAh’s leg moved faster than she could think. “SoAh, stop” she ignored, instead, she increased her pace. “SoAh!” BamBam was closing the gap, but was careful enough to judge whether she needed her own space, only when she stopped, BamBam ran up to her. He held onto her face.

“Go away” she hit away his palm, he looked at her, confused, “I am just a Low graded woman like he said, I am here so I can get your wealth as well, so get lost now before you regret like he does” Her heart was thumping so hard that she thought she was out of breath as she felt her world spinning, she would've fallen if not far BamBam holding on to her shoulder.

“SoAh, what are you talking about. You explained to me why you did all these. I promised to keep the secret for you, so don’t push me away alright.” SoAh looked away, “SoAh, please. Since I knew it, I won’t just leave now, I will help you through it”

They aren’t aware that Mark could still see their interactions. He was jealous, and angry.

“I’m tired” SoAh rubbed her face and walked towards the opposite direction that she came from. She had no idea where she was walking to, she was just focusing on not fainting on the street, When she came across the road, she crossed without a second look at the traffic light that’s turning red. A black car was coming towards her at a full speed horning at her, gaining all the unnecessary attention from the passer-by on the street, including Mark whom was now running towards her. she was frozen on the spot, her eyes wide. She felt as if everything around her stopped, except for the car that was coming towards her. She wanted to run, but she felt numb, as the vehicle gets closer, she could feel herself getting frightened.

“MIN SO AH” She could hear BamBam shouting at her to move away while running towards her. Her mind was so clotted that she couldn’t figure how to control her limbs to move. She gave up on the thoughts of escaping, she just closed her eyes, waiting for the impact. 

A moment of silence before she felt nothing other than a pair of strong arms on her waist and one on her head shielding her, forcefully sweeping her away from the road. Both SoAh and her saviour fell on the hard ground, he opened her eyes to find herself once again mesmerised by that pair of beautiful eyes staring back at her. BamBam rushed to her side immediately, still in daze wondering how could someone actually run that fast? His question was quickly answered... Someone so in loved could...

“Mark…” she managed to mumbled out of shock.

Mark stood up leaving SoAh sitting on the floor, he dusted off the dust on this pants, not even meeting her eyes. “OPPA! ARE YOU OKAY?! Oh my gosh I was so shock” “Yeah I’m alright” was all Mark replied before leaving the scene without even saying anything to SoAh. Tears once again filled SoAh’s eyes as she watched the guy she loves, leaving with another girl stuck at his side. Not even caring if she was alright.

“Min SoAh! Are you alright?” BamBam immediately squatted down to her height and grabbed her shoulder, slamming her towards himself and hugged her tight. “You scared me”

“I am alright BamBam, can you let go, I can’t breathe” He realised what he was doing and let go immediately, standing up, he put out his hands for SoAh to grab.

She grabbed onto BamBam’s hand to stand up but fell back down when she felt a sharp pain on her ankle, that’s when she final realised she was in a very awkward position and her leg was under her. BamBam stood in front of her and motioned her to get up on his back. Without any other choices, she got on his back.

On the way back home, she was silently crying on his back, he could feel it but kept silent about it, even when his shirt was stained with her tears. That was the least he could do for her. He shouldn’t have brought her out today, he thought. She was mentally and physically hurt. 


The next day in school, she had hoped that she didn’t attend it. She was trying hard to keep to herself but Mark just didn’t want to leave her alone. He had to appear at her locker area, with YooJin. Jackson who was just passing by saw the disappointment in SoAh’s eyes and decided to rub it in. He approached Mark on purpose and bumped him ‘accidentally’ causing the distance between Mark and YooJin to shorten so her could see that expression on SoAh’s face.

“Opps, sorry not sorry” Jackson mocked before he decided to stop beside SoAh locker which made her look up. Mark was just finding his friend crazy before walking off to the opposite direction from the two of them.

“What do you want Wang Jackson”

“ooooh fierce.” Jackson brush his finger along SoAh’s cheek which made her hair stand. She looked at him weirdly.

“What are you –“

“If you don’t want Mark, do you want to date me? You know I am y and I have a lot of money. Isn’t that what you like?” Jackson whispered in to SoAh ears which made her tense up. It was an insult to her but that’s what she is to him right now. It was her own fault, who can she blame. She clenched her fist tight to hold in her anger. She was Glad that it was only Jackson that is behaving this way, other Got7 members were still nice to her but kept their interaction minimal, or rather, she kept her interaction with them to the minimal except for BamBam. She was the one who were trying to avoid them as much as possible to their dismay.

“You Bast-“ Before SoAh could curse at Jackson, he alrd pinned her on the locker with her back harshly collided with the locker. She hissed as her back came in contact with the protruding locks on the lockers. Jackson had his hand grabbing on to SoAh’s neck, which reminded on the night while she was going home from the market. The same pair of murderous eyes. She  grew weak.

“I told you not to mess with Mark.” He tightened his grip making SoAh struggling for breath. Her eyes reddened. She didn’t do anything to defend herself from Jackson and just let him do whatever. She was only relieved when Jackson threw her on the ground, she had the chance to breathe. Droplet of tears drip down from her face that she quickly wipes it away. 

she has tried her very best to avoid Jackson the whole day. She's scared of him.


A few days after that incident

“Min SoAh!” SoAh stopped at the familiar voice calling out for her. Jackson stopped beside her, panting hard, making her step back in defence. She trembled slightly and Jackson could see that but he pushed away the guilt growing inside him.

“Mark… mark”

“What about him?” SoAh was worried but she hid her expression well, she tried to look nonchalant about it, but it did not fool Jackson.

“You need to save him SoAh, they are beating him up!” SoAh’s mouth agape, taking in the shock.

No…. “ I don’t care if he’s getting beat up wang Jackson, if even you guys can’t solve then what’s the point of me being there” She attempted to walk away but was held on to the arms by Jackson as she let out a surprised gasped, Jackson let go immediately in surprise. He kept composure.

“It was because of you! because you broke up with him. They were ganging up on him, laughing at him for being dumped by you! the others are not in school, I can’t deal with them!”

“if you can’t deal with them how do you expect me to?!” Still not believing in him.

“I just need you to pretend that you did not dump him, that you and him are still together.”

“no”

“Are you that heartless? Even when you guys break up, shouldn’t you at least help him? Just once, min so ah”