22

Snowing in the summer

“This is not the matter of whether your job can feed us anymore. Its dad Seong, what about those fees? What about him? It’s not going to work out with our minumum pay. I’m worried about dad too. We can’t just leave him there alone. How are we going to tell SoAh?” you heard your older brother said.

Why are they so serious? Tell me what? Is there… anything wrong? Did anything happened to dad? You hope not.


You closed the door behind you which caused JunSeo and SeongJun to stop their conversation almost immediately. They didn’t know you overheard their conversation.

“Oh hey pumpkin, done with studying?” SeongJun said in a fake happy tone which anyone could detect easily. Playing along with him, you pretended you didn’t sense anything odd.

“Nah, just getting some water” you walked past them and went in to the kitchen. You notice them giving each other glances as if hinting each other to never mention anything in front of you. “Is there anything wrong oppa?” You came back out of the kitchen.

“Nope, no, nothing’s wrong pumpkin.”

“If there isn’t anything then I’m going back to study” You took your cup with you, heading towards your room before JunSeo spoke.

“Don’t stay up too late bum, sleep early, you need more rest. Don’t tire yourself out alright?”

“Got it, oppa, you guys sleep early too. Goodnight” Biding them goodnight, you went back to your room to ‘study’ but you were just going back to your room so they can continue their conversation while you stood in front of your door and eavesdrop their conversation.

Seongjun’s gaze followed you back to your room, hearing you close the door behind you, he continued what they had left off before you came out.


They had no idea you were listening to the whole of their conversation. You were shocked and despaired after hearing their conversation.

You didn’t know your dad was having such a hard time.

It turns out that apart from the usual electrician he is, he was taking up odd jobs in the construction site occasionally when they needed help with moving of heavy objects. You didn’t understand why he did that, he’s old, yet he’s doing all these, all because of you. You wanted to attend college, so he had to work extra hard to be able to give you the life you wanted. Not to mention, everything that your brothers had done for you. Wasting their youth away working to provide you with the best that they can. While all you were, was a ball of trouble to them, disobeying them and giving them headaches.

What shocked you wasn’t only the part that he took odd jobs, but the part that he collapsed the day before yesterday. You were numbed after hearing that and slide down the door with your back against it. Not only that, he’s hospital fee was a problem to the Min brothers because the hospital refused to give a ward to your father without the medical fee deposit paid. That was the only part you heard before they decided to stop and to continue the next day.

As for you, you couldn’t sleep the whole night. Part of you wanted to prompt your brothers about it but part of you wanted to hear them tell you about it themselves. You were sure they didn’t want you to know because they didn’t want you to worry but no, they are your family. You couldn’t just standby and pretend that nothing has happened. You flipped and your bed but you still couldn’t get it out of your head.

The next day, you woke up earlier than usual, you made breakfast for your brothers quietly and went back to prepare for school. You were having bad feeling, but you couldn’t figure out what it is. It feels as if a heavy weight was placed on your heart and it felt heavy that it was suffocating you. You felt like screaming it out would make it better, ignoring all those feelings, you continue with your daily routine.

Your brothers woke up, dressed up and ready to head to work but their expression was different from every other day, it was gloomy. You figure out that it was probably because of your dad. You were eagerly waiting for them to tell you but they were just silently munching on their bread.

“Oppa! Whats with the mood? Did you guys fight?” You feigned an ignorant and talked to them normally.

“No, we are good. Right Hyung?” SeongJun said carefully. You could see he was trying hard not to spill the beans.

“Yeah SoAh, eat faster, you are going to be late for class” You glanced at the clock and cocked up your eyebrow, you were definitely earlier than usual by half an hour, and you were sure you are not going to be late.

“Aniyo oppa, I’m early”

“Oh” Junseo replied simply after checking the clock.

“Oppa deul, is there anything I don’t know? You guys seems out of place” You asked, hoping they would tell you.

“We are just sleepy, but by the way SoAh, appa won’t be coming home for the next few weeks” JunSeo stated, you saw from the corner of your eyes, you saw SeongJun staring at JunSeo with wide eyes as if saying what the hell are you doing?!

“Why?” *are they finally telling me?* you thought

“He’s busy with work” So they are still not telling you. You slumped down in your seat, munching on your bread as well.


Preparing to leave the house, you were contemplating whether to bring up the topic or not because the weight on your heart is getting heavier. You felt uncomfortable, as if something is going to happen.

“Still not leaving yet?” SeongJun came out with his shoe, looking at you.

“Yeah, I’m going.” receiving an ‘one second’, you paused on your step before making a decision on asking him.

“Oppa” You started, catching SeongJun’s attention, he turned his head from his shoe to you.

“Yes SoAh?”

“Something happened right?”

“Huh?... N-NO, nothing happened, let's go to school SoAh” he denied, avoiding your gaze and went back wearing his shoe. He was fumbling with his shoelaces as if wanting to get away from you as fast as possible.

“One, I could feel the tension in the morning. Two, You called me by my name instead of pumpkin, and three” you took in a deep breath, “I overhead you and JunSeo oppa’s conversation yesterday night.”

“SoAh ya” Once again, SeongJun returned your gaze. “It’s…its nothing big, you don’t have to worry”

“So Appa is nothing big to you? I don’t have to wo-“ you were cut off by your eldest brother’s voice

“SEONG AH! APPA IS IN A CRIT- “JunSeo came to a halt, surprised to see you still hasn’t left for school yet. You saw his worried expression and softened a little though you were quite disappointed at them for not telling you anything.

“So…Soah? You haven’t…. left for school yet?”

“What happened to appa?” you ignore his question and spoke in a stoic voice.


You forget about school and were rushing to the hospital with your brothers on cab. They told you about your father’s incident during work and that was sent to the hospital a few days ago. As expected, they didn’t want to scare or worry you, so they didn’t mention anything to you.

“But still oppa, I am part of the family too, and it’s appa! I have to know! I can’t believe you guys didn’t want to tell me about it. If I didn’t overhear your conversation last night, and didn’t pester SeongJun oppa this morning, how long are you guys going to keep it from me?” You kept nagging them on the way there, JunSeo knew he was wrong for keeping it from you and accepted your blame on him, but SeongJun being SeongJun, he kept retorting you.

You were getting annoyed at him but decided to let it go. You were panicking inside even if anyone can’t see, you were hoping that nothing will happen to your dad. Your dad was your everything apart from your brothers. You were closest to your mom than anyone else, but ever since your mom passed away, you felt like your whole world fell apart, you were devastated, and you almost gave up everything that you were doing. Your dad tried his hardest to get you out of your darkness as well as your brothers, they played a big part in helping you stand on your two feet again. You were very thankful for them, although your dad was almost never at home due to his work, you still misses him a lot. Even a blind man could see the effort he had put in for this house, he sacrifices his time to work all day for his kids. You couldn’t ask for a better father. You wished for him to be okay. You want him to be okay. 


Minutes felt like hours before you reached the Wang hospital. You ran, without waiting for your brothers, towards the emergency ward. You were too anxious to figure out where you were going until JunSeo caught up with you and he grabbed your arm to stop you. SeongJun was standing behind JunSeo looking at you.

“Calm down sis, dad will be alright. Now, come with me.” Like a big brother, he held onto your hand and led you towards the right direction with SeongJun following closely behind the two of you. You were walking in fast pace, almost running towards the emergency unit.

You bumped onto your brother’s back when he stopped abruptly. You followed his gaze towards one of the wards.

There you saw your dad, almost forgetting to breathe, your eyes widened. You swung away your brother’s hand and brisk straight towards your dad.

He was lying unconsciously on the bed, a white bandage wrapping around his forehead and parts of his limbs, as well as needles on his wrist. You were trembling, his lips were pale. You didn’t think he would be in such a bad condition. All you thought was that he was sent to the hospital and was able to discharge with only a few bandages. This was not the condition you imagine him to be in.

“SoAh ya” JunSeo called out, and side hugged you.

“You knew all along that appa was in such a bad shape? And you didn’t tell me.” You whispered with much pain, you were in too much shock to cry but your lips were trembling, your head begun to spin but you ignored it.

“I’m sorry SoAh” JunSeo didn’t want to say much because he knows how hurt you are. They were told not to let you experience too much shock in case you faint again, that’s why they didn’t want to let you know in the first place but nobody expected you to overhear their conversation. SeongJun let out a sigh as he looked at his father as well as his siblings. He walked forward to the bed.

“Appa, did you see how sad we are? I know you can’t bear to see your precious daughter cry, so please wake up.”

At the moment, your dad’s doctor walked in. In order not to disturb other patients, he called your brothers out to talk but you insisted on following. You want to know what happened to your dad. Your brothers had no other choice but to let you follow.

“His injuries on the body is not a major problem, we have stitched it up and the wounds would heal in a few days’ time. But the plank hit him hard on the head which is the cause of his unconsciousness. There is a blood clot in his head, but we are not able to operate on him when he has been unconscious since the day he’s brought in. It’s dangerous. So we might have to wait until he’s awake before we can determine if the operation can be carried out.” The doctor explained.

You were just silently listening to everything they were talking about as your heart got heavier and heavier.

“When will my father wake up?” SeongJun asked.

“It depends on his will. We had done everything we could to replace the operation in order to keep him alive. As for now, we will have to wait.” With that, the doctor bowed and left.

The nurse from the counter approached JunSeo before we entered the room.

“Excuse me sir, you father has been staying in our hospital for the past few days, the hospital policy stated that the patient must pay a deposit before they can continue to receive treatment here. So I’m afraid you have to pay before we can allow your father to continue to receive treatment in the hospital.”

“I understand” JunSeo said before following the nurse towards to counter.

SeongJun watched as JunSeo left and he approached you.

“Isn’t hospital supposed to help patients, this world is so cruel, oppa” You told your second brother before heading in to stay by your dad’s side. JunSeo returned after a while.

“Is everything okay, hyung?” You heard SeongJun asked JunSeo. JunSeo motioned SeongJun to leave the room and talk. You pretended you didn’t know before walking towards the door and eavesdrop on their conversation, again. You wanted them to just tell you everything so you don’t have to do this.

“I’ve paid the deposit but the hospital fees are a huge sum.” JunSeo took out a paper and showed SeongJun. “I don’t know how we can pay up all these, really.” He sighed and brushed his hair with frustrations.

You went back beside your dad. “Is it my fault that you are like this appa? Seems like it is huh. Oppa doesn’t need to burden you because they have their own income. Did you take up odd jobs to bring me to college?” your tears dropped down as you talk. You couldn’t keep it in any longer, and you cried with your head buried in to the bed. Unknown to you, your brothers were silently watching the scene with their heartbroken.

Never once did they blame you. They will never regret working to raise you up even if they have to spend their whole life working their off. They never thought raising you was a chore.


“Why aren’t you with SoAh today, Bambam?” Yugyeom asked casually

“I don’t know where is she, I didn’t see her the whole morning.” BamBam replied with a sad expression.

They were hanging out in their lounge before the others decided to join them. Jackson ran in and jumped on to the sofa while Mark and YoungJae casually took a seat on the chair. JR and JB went straight to the dance studio and practiced dance together.

“It’s so boring in school without any entertainment, dam!” Jackson exclaimed. By ‘entertainment’, he meant people whom he can bully.

“Then go out and have some fun yourself Jackson” YoungJae replied him with his monotone that irks Jackson the most.

“ADDING ON TO MY MISFORTUNE, I AM ASKED TO GO TO THE HOSPITAL” Jackson grumbled.

“Your dad said so?” Mark spoke up.

“Who else, I’m leaving now, see you guys tomorrow” Jackson made a crying face before he left.