35

Snowing in the summer

The next day, SoAh still did not mention anything about her illness and prepared to go to the flower shop to help out.

As usual, Mark would fetch her off work and Halmoni would comment on how handsome and sweet he was. What was different then? Normally, SoAh would smile proudly and hung on to Mark’s hand, but today, she was feeling so heavy hearted to even smile.

“Hey what’s with that long face?”

“I am just tired Mark” SoAh replied him while putting her head on his shoulder.

“Want me to piggyback you babygirl?” SoAh shook her head, “It’s alright, it’s not that far”

They were holding hands and walking under the dark blue sky which was filled with stars that night. It would’ve been romantic if it wasn’t for the witch that appeared right in front of their eyes with a number of Guards around her.

“M-mom! why are you here?” upon hearing that, SoAh shot up from Mark’s shoulder.

“Mrs Tuan” She politely greeted.

“Get away from Mark.” She said without any filter, glaring straight at SoAh.

“Mom!” Mark held tightly onto SoAh’s hand and pulled her behind him.

“Didn’t you hear mom? get off my brother” Joy came out from the black car. SoAh haven’t see her from almost 2 months ever since that incident, but Joy seems different. She had darker eye liner, permed her hair and was dressing lesser than usual. She looked like she was trying hard to be a rebel, but SoAh could see through her. 

“Joy? Yah Joy Tuan! Where did you go? You know how worried I was?”

“Oh really Mark Tuan? How cute, my brother is worried about me.”

“what the hell happened to you Joy Tuan” he scanned his sister from head to toe, showing displeased about her appearance.

“Don’t talk to your sister this way Mark!”

“What mom?” Mark switch his gaze from his sister to his mother. “did you tracked us? How did you know we were here?”

“You don’t have to know that, you just have to know that you are to leave her.”

“Never mom, can’t you see I really love SoAh? CAN YOU STOP FORCING US!” Mark shouted which made Joy laugh. Mark shot a look at Joy.

“You know if you listen to me I wouldn’t have told mum about how SoAh treated me. Then maybe, just maybe you guys would have a tiny weeny bit of chance together” she mocked.

“What did you tell mum?!” Mark was raging, after that incident, Mark knew how Joy could act and manipulate people believe in her.

“I just told her the truth”

“We all know that’s not the truth Joy Tuan. I will NEVER break up with Mark. Never.” SoAh came out from Mark back and retorted. Mark was proud of her. None of his ex would’ve the courage to talk back to his mom, he didn’t even expect her to do so.

*SLAP*

“MOM!” Mark shouted at his mum and pulled SoAh behind him again. Joy was just smirking, crossing her hands.

“You don’t ever talk to your sister this way. You knew what that beggar did to Joy yet you still date her”

“You only listen to JOY, who she likes, who she dislikes. What about me mum? I like SoAh. No scratch that, I love her. Why don’t you just let me be with her. You don’t know what Joy did. You can’t just listen to her and break us up.”

“Even without her words, I would still stop you from seeing this beggar.”

“No can do and please respect my girlfriend, she has a name and she is not a beggar.”

His mom turned to SoAh instead after finding no point in talking to Mark. “If you really love mark, then let him go. He will have a better future with the daughters of those big companies. Don't we all know why you seduced Mark in the first place? I will give you what you want and in return, you will leave him. ” This was the worst sentence that had come out of Mrs Tuan’s mouth, yet, it was so true. So true that it hurts. Who is she to say that she wants to be with Mark. Like what Mark’s mom had said, she has the money and ability to help their company, while SoAh? She has nothing but two brothers and a pathetic part time job that earns her less than a thousand a month. She was nothing other than an orphan. She was nothing compared to her. She was just a sick patient whom was just counting down for her death. SoAh kept quiet.

“MOM!” Mark sighed, “Forget it. SoAh, you ready for a run?”

Before she had the time to react, Mark already pulled her in another direction and started running away, away from his mom.

Joy did not go back to school and Mark hadn’t went home since that day. He has been spending his time at the hang out place. He had told them about what happen when they kept questioning about him not going home. They thought he and SoAh quarrelled but they didn’t expect Joy to return in such manner. Mark thought Joy was too much but he couldn’t do anything. He knew if he were to scold Joy, his mom would definitely side her and they would find a way so sabotage SoAh and he didn’t want that. SoAh hasn't brought up in the topic about that day to anyone, she has been quiet about it. 

While her brothers are kept in the dark about all these happening to their sister, Mark was thinking of plans to stop everything.


A week after that incident, SoAh had called Mark out for a walk. Mark rushed out hoping to fetch SoAh before she leaves the house. He had been like this, he always wanted to fetch SoAh anywhere and everywhere because he hadn’t let his guard down and he will never forget what BAP did to her. Got7 did try to find BAP but they vanished ever since that incident. They never had a chance to revenge for SoAh and BamBam. He was afraid they will come back anytime and get her. He was so paranoid but he didn’t let anyone know about it. He didn’t want to alarm SoAh.

SoAh was wearing a weary expression. Mark noticed it but he pushed it aside. If SoAh wants to tell him, she would. SoAh led him to a direction of the river, on their way there, he did try to cheer SoAh up and she did try her best to push away those heavy feelings and smile for him. She had decided to break up with him before it’s too late. She was left with 2 months, and 2 months from now, she would be a burden to Mark. If they were to break up now, at least Mark wouldn’t know anything and that at least, he will be happier, the pain would’ve stopped by then. Mark doesn’t deserve to be with someone Like her, he deserved much more, she thought. During this one whole week, SoAh thought a lot, she thought about all the possibilities of being with Mark, she even thought that miracles might happen and all her illness would disappear. But all those thoughts didn't encourage her to keep up the relationship with Mark.

She wanted to settle everything one by one before it's too late. Firstly, of course her relationship with Mark. She reminded herself not to waver, she told herself she can’t be selfish, and it’s time to let him go. There were times when she decided to give up on that thought but looking at Mark’s photo on her phone, she couldn’t help but cry.

“Let’s breakup, Mark.” The both of them stopped at a river and took a walk there when SoAh stopped.

“W-What?” Mark’s heart stopped, thought he heard wrongly, he hoped he heard wrongly. It came too abrupt for him.

“I can’t take it anymore, I am tired of everything. Being with you only make my life more stressful. It shouldn’t be this way, love shouldn’t be this way. When two person get together, it should make each other feel better, not stress. I know you’re stressed too because of me. So, let’s end everything here before we both regret.” She wanted to cry but she kept it in. She made her decision to break up with Mark so she won’t break up his family, and he won’t have to suffer when her time comes. Breaking down now will stop her from the initial plan to break up with Mark and she can’t risk that. Her heart hurts but there’s nothing she can do. Who is she to be with Mark?

“Is that all a joke? What did I do wrong? Tell me huh, or did my mum do anything to you again? You know you don’t have to listen to her. You said no matter what happens, you will not break up with me. Do you remember that? Have you regretted being with me? Because I did not and will never regret being with you. So Ah, I have so much in my mind. I want to be with you. I am even planning for the right time to move out from that house. Can you wait a little bit more for me? Just a little while more.” he paused and held on to SoAh’s hands, her heart melted at the moment, she had difficulties keeping her face straight, her wanted to break into tears, hug him and tell him she’s sorry, and that all these are lies. her heart is wavering. "Please?" He begged.

“I have never loved you, all those was a lie. Our relationship is a lie, Mark.”

He looked into the eyes that gazed at back him lovingly. “How do you want me to believe that you have never loved me with this look in your eyes that you are giving me? Is it because of me? Because of my mum? Because what she said to you that night? You know I don’t care about all those and I am serious when I said I love you. you are the only one I want to spend my whole life with. SoAh…please…” the way he begs her, was killing her inside out. 

“Mark, listen. It wasn’t your fault nor your mum’s, it was mine okay. I have never loved you.”

“THEN WHY THE HELL DID YOU AGREE TO BE MY GIRLFRIEND! WHY THE HELL DID YOU GIVE ME FALSE HOPE. WHY DID YOU TELL MY MOM YOU WILL NEVER BREAK UP WITH ME?!” He shouted in her face with tears streaming down him now red face, holding onto her shoulders and shaking her vigorously making her head turn. It makes her heart shattered in to million pieces, she wanted to kiss him and tell him everything was fake. She wanted to back down and tell him how much she loves him but she can’t be so selfish. She has to think about his future. Breaking up with him now is better than him getting hurt when she is not there anymore for him.

“I GOT WITH YOU BECAUSE OF MONEY! ARE YOU HAPPY NOW? ALL OF THOSE ARE JUST FOR SHOWS.” She took in a deep breath. 

“It’s all lies, I don’t believe you,” Mark shook his head furiously, “It can’t be because I confessed to you first it c –”

“Why not? I rejected Joy and your mom offer of money was just a show to make you believe me. If you didn’t confess to me first, I would’ve confessed to you first. I’ve always wanted to get revenge on you, your sister and Got7 for treating me like trash. I hate rich kids like you, if I got close to you, I will be able to get back at you this way. I did it for money, because I have accepted your mum's offer. I knew this day will come. If I agree to break up with you, she will give me $1 000 000 in return. I agreed. That’s killing two birds with one stone. You confessing to me first was just an additional bonus for me.” Her heart hurts, but she continued anyway, “I will use this money and go overseas, so don’t bother looking for me” *what a bad excuse* she thought.

“Who says you will make my life miserable this way?” His face looked serious,

“w-wh- *Slap*” SoAh’s eyes widened, and she stood glued to the ground, her lips parted out of shock and horror, she look up at the person who slapped her, couldn’t believe that it was Mark. This wasn't in her plan. Holding onto her reddened cheeks, tears threatening to fall but she held it in, blinking away those tears. *It’s going to be over soon Soah, Just a little bit more*

“Know what? Do whatever you want. I hope you won’t regret.” He said expressionless and turned to walk away.

After he’s no longer in sight, SoAh broke down, her tear streamed down your reddened cheeks and she cried her heart out. She held onto her broken heart. It hurts, it ing hurt a lot that she had no strength left in her to stand up. She slides down on to the hard, cold concrete floor, keeping her knees tucked in and buried her face in her arms and cry. *At least it’s over, it’s over. Please find yourself a better partner and live happily Mark. *