143

My Brother, My Lover

 

[A month later]
 
"______, wake up."
"Miss, please wake up. You need to prepare now."
"Jagiya, wake up." Someone whispered.
 
"Mmm...who called me ja-"
"Good morning!" I was about to stretch out when someone pulled my cheeks and well, we all know who that someone is.
"It's too early, oppa." I rubbed my eyes.
"Today's the big day!"
"I know, but it's not our big day. It's omma's and appa's."
"Aish, just hurry up! I'll be waiting!" He winked before closing the door.
 
I can't believe I endured 30 consecutive days with this routine. Maybe because deep inside I actually like it? I smiled to myself.
 
One of the maids assisted me on wearing my dress and getting my makeup done. You might be wondering what this so called big day is. Well, this is omma and appa's wedding day. I don't get it. Why is oppa so excited about...this?
 
There are so many things that I don't understand about today. One, I look as stunning as a bride. I mean, I'm just the maid of honor but they bought the fanciest dress I have ever seen. No, it's like a gown actually.
 
Two, like I said, oppa is so excited about today. It's not like something else will happen, right? It's their wedding day, not MINE.
 
"Where's my princess?"
"Appa!" I hugged appa. "This is it! The day you've been waiting for!"
"Well, yeah. Thanks dear."
 
Huh? Why aren't you that happy? Is there something wrong? Is there something going on that everybody knows and I don't?
 
"Wait here for you oppa, he will come to fetch you. I'll go see your om-"
"Appa! Don't you know that it's bad luck to see your bride before the wedding starts?" I scolded him.
"Aish, okay okay. I'll just go to the church immediately."
"That's more like it."
 
I kissed appa goodby and waited for oppa patiently. It didn't take so long before he came in. He wore a white suit that matched my dress like he promised and that sweet welcoming smile I fell in love with over and over again.
 
"Are you ready to go, princess? You look stunning."
"I'm afraid omma's dress isn't better than mine." I joked.
"It's not a big deal. Come on, the chauffeur is waiting."
 
I held his arm and we slowly walked our way to the car. We got inside and oppa gestured for the chauffeur to start the car.
 
"Oppa, what are you thinking?"
"I think today makes me excited, nervous and happy at the same time." He smiled a genuine smile.
"Jinja? It's not that bad."
"You only know half of it." He whispered.
"What?"
"Oh, nothing. Appa has a surprise for omma, that's all... and I can't wait for it.."
"Is that so?"
"Are we gonna fight about this again? Come on, don't be so down the dumps."
"Mm." I forced a smile.
 
Today is the day I feared. It's fast approaching. The day I feared that would kill all my hope. Omma, I don't think it's possible anymore. Did you make up that whole future thing just so I would choose to live? You're so unfair!
 
We arrived and stood where we should stand. The music started to play and the giant door opened, revealing everything to the social media. Yup, this will be broadcasted all over the country. The Park Group chairman will marry a hallyu star's mother.
 
We walked down the isle until we reached our positions and waited patiently for the bride. As soon as everyone was done, it revealed the beautiful bride with her magnificent bouquet and the man I love next to her. Appa looked at her like how he looked at omma before and I wanted to cry tears of joy but I guess it's still too early.
 
As soon as omma reached appa, appa asked for a microphone which oppa gave immediately. What is this all about? I've seen lots of weddings. This is not how it works. What's happening?
 
"Family, friends and guests. Last month, our daughter got involved in a car accident and we are going to thank God forever for sending her back to us."
 
Huh? What's going on? Why am I the only one shocked about this?
 
"During that painful experience, we discovered something we never expected." Appa glanced at omma with a smile.
 
"We discovered two throbbing hearts that hid secretly and patiently, blossoming each other with their everlasting love."
 
"We thought that as their elders, we should be the ones to give them a chance and not them sacrificing their love story for us."
 
"My daughter, Park _______, please join us here."
 
What on earth is happening?! Why is appa and omma saying this... in front of all the media. H-how did they know?
 
"______! ______! _____!"
 
I looked around as everybody cheered. I tried to search for oppa around the whole room but he's out of sight. Please, oppa. Help me. I need you right now. I have no idea what's going on.
 
As one lonely tear escaped my eyes, the pleasant sound of a violin filled my ears. I turned around and there at the back was Kyu-oppa with the piano.
 
I faced the isle and there stood the most handsome man in my life. All eyes were on him and I can't believe what's happening. Am I dreaming?
 
Henry oppa walked towards me step by step, never missing a single note. A sweet alluring smile spread across his handsome face and the song finished. So this is why he was so excited.
 
All the cameras were broadcasting everything but oppa stood there without fear. H-how did appa know? Am I really the only one who doesn't know about this.
 
"There is a phrase in a famous song saying, 'Only know you love her when you let her go' and now, I'm promising to never let you go ever again."
 
"They say that love we cannot have is the one that hurts the deepest, feels the strongest and lasts the longest."
 
"We have been tested by fate for many times and we faced all those challenges alone. We've had many adventures together that no one else knows about and this time I'm ready to tell them."
 
"It doesn't have to be now and with you, it doesn't matter when, where or how. I just want to make sure that you will be mine. So Park ______, will you be a dear and marry me?"
 
"Yes!"
 
Everyone behind us cheered and oppa attacked me with a hug and held me in his arms like there was gonna be no tomorrow.
 
"How about omma and appa?" I whispered.
"I don't know but I only know one thing."
"Huh?"
"I want to kiss you right now." He smirked.
"Oppa an-"
"From now on, you should call me jagiya." And with that he pulled me in for a kiss.
 
"I want everyone to know that she's my girl!" He shouted.
"Yaaaaah, oppa!"
"What did I tell you?"
"J-jagiya..." I blushed.
"That's my girl." Oppa patted my head.
 
Looking back, it was a long journey. He went from being my hero to being my brother, and now, my lover. He healed my wounded heart and fit pieces to mend it.
 
He stood with me through thick and thin, ups and downs and even when I couldn't see him. Again and again, without failure, he chased for me even at the place that seemed impossible to reach.
 
Everything he said was true. Although we had a love we shouldn't have, we fought for it and made it possible. At times, it hurt the deepest and at times our love felt the strongest but we proved that just like Romeo and Juliet's, this is the love that lasts the longest.
 
We still have a lot to see and a lot to learn, but I look forward to the day when we get older and everyone will call me Mrs. Lau. History will remember that my brother became my lover.
 
Fin.