You, My Everything 2

My Brother, My Lover

It's already been a week and ______ is still in coma. Whenever I don't have schedule, I'd look after her until I find another gig.

 

Appa and omma try to convince me to go home but my conscience won't let me. How can I possibly sleep well when I know any minute now she can die? How can I eat well when she's not waking up?

 

"Hyung, aren't you gonna pay a visit?"

"Not this time, Henry. I have loads of work to do. I'll pay a visit soon, promise."

"Mm...arrasso."

"Speaking of visit, are you in the hospital right now?"

"Mmm."

"Did you catch some sleep?"

"Mmm."

"Aish, Henry! Answer me!"

"I'm okay, hyung."

"Take care of yourself too. You don't want to be sitting next to ______ in the hospital on your own hospital bed."

"Mmm."

"I have to go now, take care of your health, algesso?"

"Thanks for your time, hyung." I hung up.

 

I held ______'s hand and whispered a silent message. I tried to refrain from sleeping but my eyelids betrayed me. I woke up to the loud banging knocks from outside.

 

"Come in!"

"Henry, why are you still here? Didn't I tell you to catch some sleep at home?"

"It's alright, appa. I just woke up from a nap, actually."

"I do hope she wakes up already." Appa grabbed a chair and sat next to me in front of ______.

"Have you decided yet, appa?"

"I don't know what to do, Henry. I'm afraid she'll never wake up again."

"Oh.."

"What do you have in mind, son?"

"Well, I think we should give it a try."

"What?"

"Appa, I know this is hard for everybody but I think that we should take action rather than just waiting."

"Bwoh? Why do you think so?"

"I have a feeling that we're not the ones waiting for her, but rather she's the one waiting for us."

"Tell me, Henry. What do you think about ______?"

 

I swallowed my saliva. What am I going to say? Should I tell him the truth or should I just lie?

 

"For me...." My voice became very shaky. "______ is....our angel."

"Our angel?"

"She makes me happy when I'm sad. Her smile brightens the whole house. Her laugh is music to my ears."

"..." Appa listened to every word that escaped my mouth carefully, examining my face at the same time.
"She makes our family united. She saved me from my misery. She changed our lives."
 

"I do agree with you."

"Appa, this is our one last chance to save her. There's no assurance but she saved us before too."

"..."

"If this doesn't succeed, you can blame me. But at the very least, we can say we tried something. We can say we hoped. We tried."

"Tell me, Henry. What has ______ done for you?"

"You and I are alike, appa. We don't want to lose her. After days of sulking inside my room, I realized that everything my hyung said is right. She's a tough girl. She never gave up on us, shall we give up on her too?" Appa didnt look at me with a hint of sadness in his eyes, "I know you love your daughter appa," I took a deep breath "-but I love my sister too." 

"Of course you do, Henry. We all love our families."

"Aniyo, appa. I love her the way you love omma. I look at her the way you look at omma. I treat her the way you treat omma."

"..." Appa was left speechless. He looked at me in surprise.

"That day, we fought about something and that something is her dream, the dream every woman dreams of, a wedding." I fought my tears back. "Since your marriage was getting nearer, she was losing hope. I never thought she would still want....you know, that. Once you marry, we would stay right where we are and what we are till we die. She couldn't accept it."

 

I tried to hold back the tears longer, but couldn't. I can't care about what appa says right now, but this is the truth. This is what's really happening between me and ______.

 

"We parted ways during that night at Jeju and I blame myself for it. If I didn't leave her that night, she wouldn't be here right now. If I followed her, I could've been able to do something to prevent this from happening. I'm sorry appa...it's...it's all my fault."

 "I understand, son."

"You do?" I lifted my head up.

"You can never dictate love, son. It's not blind, it's wild. It explores the deepest ocean, the darkest cave or even the highest mountain but you can't tell it to stop. The more you hide it, the more it explodes like fireworks."