Chapter 8

Paradise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“There are a lot of small islands surrounding the place where the ship sunk. It wouldn’t be that easy to find them.” The coastguards warn Chen when he insisted that they have to hurry up and find his wife. “Besides, you’re wife is not the only one missing, there are hundreds of people out there.”


Chen ruffled his hair in guilt and frustration. Guilt for being selfish trying to command everyone to find his wife, but frustration for the rescuers weren’t even working as fast as possible.


“You already said there are still a lot of people out there, then why don’t you work faster?!” He roared at them but only got scoffs from the officers.


“Sir, it wouldn’t be that easy but we’re already doing everything we can.”


Chen was silenced. The last chance he could get is from Hyemin’s family. They were already mourning but he knows one person who wouldn’t really give up.


“Mr. Choi, I really think we should go out there ourselves.” Chen pleaded to his wife’s father. He said the same thing to his father but the man refused to get help. Hyemin’s father is the only person he knows who have more connections that can rescue Hyemin and maybe other survivors.


“That’s what I’m also thinking son. I really can’t just sit around all day and wait for news to come.”


“Then let’s do it.” The older man nodded and started calling for his contacts. The hell with the protocol, they need to find Hyemin.


Other people might see his eagerness to find Hyemin as a tactical move to earn more in the business industry but it was always more than that. When it comes to Hyemin, he’ll prioritize her over everything else. Chen ignored the comments, especially from the people who knew they were married due to business, and focused on their rescue mission.

 

 

 

 

Hyemin shivered at the cold breeze that was hitting her skin but the warmth beside her was making her comfortable.


“So cold…” She mumbled breathily while snuggling deeper into the warmth. She never thought and never realized that she was actually cuddling with Baekhyun until she felt sand under her feet and a hand rubbing her to minimize her coldness. She did not dare to move anymore for the situation entered her mind already.


Slowly, she looked up to see Baekhyun’s face so close to her and finally, his hand stopped moving. Soft snores emit from him and she sighed in relief, using at as a sign to get off of him. The sun was about to come up as well and they will need another set of food to have for the whole day. It was already the time for her to stop emoting and start moving to survive.


She can finally understand how Baekhyun was so exhausted the day before…it wasn’t so easy to gather something edible in an unknown place. Fishing wasn’t that easy either but Baekhyun managed to catch two fishes, unlike her who can’t even catch a glimpse.


“Let’s just say I’ll stick with climbing trees…” she sighed when she thought she was just wasting time trying to catch fish. At least she found trees easier to please than those fishes which looked like taunting her for swimming around her fish.


“Hyemin!! Minnie!!” she heard Baekhyun calling for her from afar. “MINNIE!!”


“Baek! Up here!!” she waved with a smile on her face for she just got a big fruit that they can share. Baekhyun looked up but missed her for a moment. “A little on the left…There!”


“What are you doing there?! Get down here!!”


“Isn’t it obvious?! I’m getting food.”


“I said get down there, let me climb up there!”


“I can manage!” she beamed but then her face suddenly changed when a soft crack was heard.


“Not that branch! Hyemin!”


She suddenly screamed when the branch broke causing her to be unbalanced and fall from the tree. She saw her life flashed before her and prepared for her death. But then all those thoughts vanished when a pair of arms caught her and their bodies softly land on the ground. The impact lessened but Baekhyun was groaning under her.


“Are you okay?” she worriedly asked withering in pain. “I-I-I’m sorry…” she stuttered upon realizing their awkward position.


“I think I have a broken rib.” Baekhyun whined but they both know how much he always exaggerates pain. She helped him get up and saw their food that she got was destroyed.


“I am not that heavy to give you broken ribs—Our food is squished.” She pouted when the fruit was smashed under Baekhyun.


“Don’t mind that…We can just gather more over there.” Baekhyun pointed deeper into the forest and fortunately, Hyemin was already starting to be more cooperative. She saw vegetables on the way while Baekhyun was the one climbing up the trees. They also found fresh water in the middle of the jungle and they didn’t have to worry about being dehydrated.


“Why can’t meat just grow on trees?” she sighed seeing all the leaves in her hands.


“Maybe because nature is already telling you to diet.” Baekhyun snickered but then his grin vanished when a handful of the vegetables flew on his face. The girl rolled her eyes and continued to pick up the vegetables she can see.


Baekhyun wondered how she changed her attitude in just overnight. First she was sulking then next she’s already happy, skipping like she had endless energy. But on the bright side, it was easier for he didn’t really have to do all the work. Then, he suddenly remembe

Please log in to read the full chapter