Bonus chapter : the overprotective father

Paradise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Mom, can I ask you a favor?” Dahye sheepishly asked her mother as she helped her with the dishes.


“What is it honey?”


“Mom, you know Junmyeon right?”


“Your suitor? What about him?”


“He asked me out on a date. It’s just that we want to try going out without dad watching us. He might be scared of dad already.”


“You should ask your dad since I have no problem with it.”


“Thanks mom, but can you help me with dad?”


“No worries.” Hyemin held her daughter’s hand and lead her to their room where Chen was working. “Hi honey. Dahye wants to ask you something.”


“Mom…” Dahye grumbled while trying to get support from her mother. “Uh, dad, Junmyeon invited me to go out on Saturday.”


Chen suddenly looked up to her with slit-like eyes. If ever he had daggers every time she’d look at her, Dahye could’ve been dead at that moment. The young lady felt scared but the good thing was she had her mother right beside her that would dodge everything that her father says to her.


“You mean date?” Dahye nodded sheepishly. “No.”


“But dad, just for once? Please? Mom already let me go with him, why can’t you?”


“You let your daughter go out with that kid?” Chen glared at his wife and just like Dahye, she suddenly became scared of her husband’s attitude. “This is unbelievable. No one is going out.”


“Dad, please. I will just hang out with my friends, there’s nothing wrong with that. Just trust me, we won’t do anything wrong.”


“If you want to hang out with your friends then do it here. I already let that man come in this house to court you, what else does he want?”


“To get to know me more without being scared of you.” Dahye frowned and left the room, obviously being hurt and disappointed that her father doesn’t trust her enough to let her go out. Before she had gone out the room, Hyemin saw her wipe her tears and heard her sniff, making her felt bad not to be strong enough to defend her to her husband.


“Why did you let her go with that kid?” Chen scolded her.


“Because I trust Junmyeon and most especially I trust our daughter.” Hyemin calmly told him. “Honey, I think you should go easy on Dahye just a bit.”


“You don’t understand—”


“I totally understand honey but it doesn’t mean we’ll have to lock her up in this house. Dahye’s at the age that she should be socializing. As Dahye has told you, they’re going out as a group that’s why I let her. She’s doing well in school, it’s not her exam period so I really don’t see the reason why not to let her go and she deserves a little freedom.”


“But it’s dangerous outside, I just don’t want her to get hurt.”


“No one does honey, but trying to take her away from the dangers of reality is as bad, don’t you think?”


Hyemin had a point and he had been missing that ever since Dahye started being interested in guys. He simply didn’t want Dahye to experience all the things he had gone through when he was her age, but taking her away from reality, as Hyemin said was just as bad. If he keep her away from all those things outside their world, Dahye might think everything’s perfect especially when nothing is perfect. At least he trusts her to learn if she ever does something wrong.


“Fine, but she got a curfew.” Chen sighed in defeat.


“Why are you telling me? Go tell your daughter!” Hyemin scolded him.


“Uhm, do I really have to?” Hyemin was already the one who’s glaring at him and crossing her arms. “Fine, fine.” Chen put his hands up in defeat and went to his daughter’s room, making Hyemin grin and squeal silently.


Chen simply didn’t realize that Dahye had been suffering from his over protectiveness and his temper didn’t help him as well. He knocked on her daughter’s room but no one answered and all he could hear was her sniffs and sobs.


“Dahye, can I come in? You don’t have a choice anyway…” Chen even tried to light things up but once he entered the room, she was lying on the bed, her back was facing against him making him realize that she clearly didn’t want to talk to him at the moment. But no one and nothing can stop him though… “Princess, do you really want to go to that…date?” he almost choked at his last word.


“I wouldn’t have asked you if I didn’t.” Dahye retorted and Chen wanted to slap his forehead right at that moment.


“Of course…” he mumbled. “Would it mean the whole world to you if I didn’t let you go out?”


“Not really but I’ll be grateful for it…dad, if you’re trying to convince on why should I not go with Junmyeon it’s okay, I get it.”


“The reason why I’m here is because I am letting you go out with Junmyeon.”


“Stop joking dad.”


“I am not.” Dahye jolted up her bed and looked at her father with puffy puppy eyes. “If you really want to go, then fine, but I have two conditions. You should

Please log in to read the full chapter