Chapter 14

Paradise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Mom, you promised I’ll have pancakes today! I got up early and finished my breakfast!” Dahye exclaimed while stuffing the last piece of her food.


“Yes, princess. Here it is~” she set the plates full of chocolate chip pancakes. Smoke was still oozing from the food and made the daughter salivate and crave for it.


“You seem so excited for your first day.” Chen asked his daughter who was busy eating to listen to him. “Slow down on the sweets, it’s not healthy.”


“I know dad. It’s not every day I get to eat it.” She beamed and Chen shook his head for her stubbornness.


“Are your things ready?” Hyemin asked and the kid nodded enthusiastically.  “Schools here are not so different from China, I know you’ll get along with your classmates well.”


“I hope so mom. So far, kids had been nice to me.”


“That’s good.” Chen spoke proudly.


Their neighbors were quite intimidated by their daughter when they first moved in but in just a few minutes, she was already actively chatting and playing with them. Not only kids were fond of her but the adults as well. In a good thirty minutes, the family was already in front of her new school and students were making their usual noise, excited for the year ahead of them. Their free days before her first day of classes was also filled with memories of family bonding, while touring their daughter to her homeland. They even thought Dahye would be bored and homesick but experienced the opposite.


“I’ll be going~”


“Wait for me. We still have to look for your teacher.” Hyemin struggled with her seatbelt.


“It’s okay, mom, I can manage. There are other students here that I can ask anyway.”


“Are you sure?”


“Yes, mom. You can just have a date with dad or something. Enjoy your day. Bye~” she giggled and did her usual showing affections before jumping out of the car. She even winked at Chen, in which the father winked back at her.


“Why are you winking at each other?” Hyemin asked for she felt like the two were keeping a secret from her. Chen chuckled and started the engine of the car once again, and they travelled back home.


“Because we both know we were just joking around…but then a date is an awesome idea.”


“Where will you take me then?”


“Anywhere you want, honey.”


“Well, I’d actually like to visit your paradise. I miss roaming around all over Seoul with you…”


“Just Seoul? We can go back to Jeju for the whole day and Dahye wouldn’t even notice.”


“You’re so mean!” she exclaimed and slapped her husband’s arm.


“My paradise it is, then…” Chen chuckled and drove quickly to his favorite place. Hyemin watched and listened to him singing and humming along at the songs on the radio. He would even playfully look at her and sing emotionally as if he was serenading her even though the songs were awkward and not love songs at all.


“Here we are!” he exclaimed and excitedly jumped off the car.


“This is just like the first we met. Except that it’s daytime.”


“I have to admit, the first time I saw you, I know you’ll fall in love with me.”


“Wow!! You’re confidence really amaze me my dear husband!” Hyemin scoffed playfully as she helped in setting up the back of his truck and lied down with him soon after.


“But you did fall in love with me.” Chen groaned, putting his arm at the back of his head and let his wife rest her body on top of his.


“And I am still falling, just so you know.” Hyemin pecked his lips and Chen welcomed in return. “Are you sleepy?” she asked for he had his eyes closed and eye bags are visible underneath his eyes. “We can just rest here.”


“I’m sorry, I’ve been too concentrate don work that I sometimes neglect you and Dahye.”


“We understand how important your work is but you never neglected us. Just rest for a while, okay?” she kissed his forehead and then his cheek.

Please log in to read the full chapter