Chapter 1

Paradise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

“Darling, are you ready? Your father is already waiting outside.”


“Yes, mom.” Hyemin answered grumpily as she put on her last piece of accessory. Straightening her dress and gathering up her courage, she finally took a deep breath and walked out of her room.


That night would be the beginning of her new life…her engagement. It wasn’t even a huge party that she could enjoy or at least make less everything else awkward, but it was just an intimate dinner between their parents and her fiancé that she has never even met. It was arranged between two business centered families, and for once, she just wished she was never born in that family. The only thing she knows was her fiancé and his family was they were Koreans as well but they were based in China and they were very influential. Her family wanted to expand their company in China and the other wanted to expand in Korea, and making their children husband and wife is the best plane they could ever think of.


“How fortunate…out of all the rich families and businessmen in Korea, why us? Why me?” Hyemin mumbled.


“What is it darling?”


“Nothing, mom.”


“Hyemin,  please be nice to your fiancé. This is the only thing we will ask from you.” Her father told her when they finally arrived at the restaurant.


“Even if it means taking away my freedom?” she scoffed.


“Hyemin, darling…” her mom tried to stop her but she had already cut the woman off.


“Don’t worry mom, I will still be nice.” Hyemin replied. She agrees that her parents really had not asked anything and even gave her all the freedom in the world, but forcing her to marry someone that she doesn’t even know is another thing. She hated the plan. She felt like being sold-off in an auction. Despite all that, she can’t be mean to a person for no reason. She even thought that maybe, she could even convince her fiancé to just call-off the whole wedding.


“Good evening!” A pair of middle-aged couple greeted them and another young man was with them, who bowed politely with a smile. He wasn’t as dashing or ugly but he still had a certain charm that made her heart soften a bit…his endearing smile. He may be charming but it did not mean she would fall for him at that instant. “This is our son, Jongdae.”


“You can just call me Chen.” He introduced himself and bowed politely to the elders again until he reached for Hyemin’s hand. His smile never faded and he wasn’t even flirty at all.


“Hyemin.” She simply replied and reached for his hand.


“Darling, go sit with Chen.” Her mother nudged her but Chen had already pulled a chair for her to sit on. Hyemin slyly smiled and accepted it.


The parents quickly started talking about their business and plans in the future as soon as they have taken their seats. They never even talked about the wedding between the two which left them in an awkward silence. There are some times that they would tease their children but the younger would just shyly smile and avoid looking at each other.


Chen, however, was butting in occasionally between their conversation and Hyemin felt so out of place and alone. Chen did talk to her but it was all about the food and nothing personal yet. Chen could feel that Hyemin wasn’t really interested in him so he just let her be.


In the middle of the dinner, Hyemin cannot take anymore and wanted to get out of the scene.


“I’ll just go to the ladies.” Hyemin politely said and left. When she spoke, only Chen paid attention on her and somewhat got worried and wanted to know what’s wrong with his fiancé. Fortunately for her, there was a garden at the restaurant that she could kill time until her parents will decide to leave.


After a few minutes, Chen realized that his fiancé was already gone for too long and excused himself as well to look for Hyemin.


“I really believe our children will get along well.”


“I agree. They’re a match made in heaven.”


“By the way it looks, they’re going to be fond of each other and before we know it, we already have grandchildren.”


“They’re too young for that, they should enjoy each other’s company first. But oh well, I wouldn’t really mind.”


Chen smiled as he left their table while hearing their parents talk but he was also being burdened by their expectations. By their age, they should enjoy their youth first before they even get married but it will all stop when the day of their wedding comes. His face lit up even more when he finally saw Hyemin pacing around the garden.


“Hi. My name is Kim Jongdae, but you can just call me Chen.” He crept behind her before he greeted her with such enthusiasm. He wanted to surprise her with his sudden presence and he definitely succeeded.


“What are you doing?” Hyemin aske

Please log in to read the full chapter