Chapter 19

Paradise
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

“Hyemin? Are you still there?” Chen asked and all she could do was stifle a sob. She managed to hum but she can’t stop her tears from falling already. She was hurt but she can’t do anything to move either, and her hormones weren’t helping for being so emotional at her stage. She didn’t have the courage to get down and confront them and can only continue to sob quietly.


“A-a-are you crying? What’s wrong?”


“There’s nothing wrong, I just miss you already, that’s all.”


“Are you sure?”


“Yeah, I might be interrupting you. I’ll call again later.”


“Alright. Take care of yourself, okay?”


“Yes.” She stayed quiet for a while, and suddenly spoke when Chen had bid goodbye. “Chen, I love you.”


He chuckled, “I love you too. I’ll be home in a couple of hours.” She hummed again and finally cut the call. She saw Chen kept his phone immediately and started talking to the woman as if their call did not even happen.


Should she believe him? She clearly saw and heard him lie but she wanted to believe there was a good and acceptable reason why Chen would keep things from him. Was she the one he was talking to over the phone? She wanted to know who the woman is but for the meantime, she had to dig further and plan thoroughly.


“Mom, were you crying?” It was the first question that Dahye asked her mother as soon as she opened the car door. Her eyes were obviously red and puffy and it can’t be hidden to her inquisitive daughter.


“It’s just the onions, and the smoke from the restaurant, don’t worry about it.”


“Are you sure mom? You’ve never been affected like that before.” Hyemin nodded and helped her daughter settle down at the back seat. Hyemin just wanted to keep quiet and not involve Dahye until the issue had been settled.


“Can I get a hug?” Hyemin suddenly asked her daughter and the girl furrowed her eyebrows but still complied anyway.


“Mom, there is something wrong…” Dahye sounded worried but it won’t make her mother spill the beans.


“It’s nothing…I just miss dad. Don’t you?”


“I do, is that the reason why you cried?” Dahye smiled and Hyemin slyly nodded. “He’s going to be home later so let’s not be sad. Little Bear will cry too.”


“Okay, mom won’t cry anymore. Let’s go home~” she kissed her daughter’s forehead and drove her daughter back home.


Hyemin wanted to stay behind and just help Dahye with her home works, but she was still upset with Chen. Stressing out too much won’t work and it wouldn’t solve anything if she had a conversation with him while still being angry. Getting back to work, she ignored all other things for a while and let off the steam.


“Just go ahead, I’ll take care of this.” She told her staff while she was putting her utensils in order.


“But ma’am, it’s already late, and we don’t want to leave you alone.”


“I’m okay, see? This is the last piece and I’m going to close the doors already, and go home.”


“Okay ma’am. See you tomorrow.” The workers bowed and left the restaurant quietly. Everything was already too quiet and she can only hear her own breathing. It was supposed to be a usual tiring day, but it was all doubled after what she saw. Chen was with another woman and instead of being in a seminar, he was with her. Instead of telling her that he was already in Seoul, he lied.


“Is there anyone here?” the bell rang and a man came inside the restaurant.


“We’re already closed.” She stated calmly as she got out from the kitchen and saw her ex standing right in front of her. “Oh, Baekhyun?”


“The sign is still ‘open’ so I thought…never mind, I’ll just leave already. Sorry.” He scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. He thought he could’ve a good late dinner but it was already too late. Maybe he would just have to find another restaurant to eat.


“I must have forgotten.” She slapped her forehead. “But wait, do

Please log in to read the full chapter