Omma

Without You

 

= Shin Aegi =

 

I was sitting at one of the table while reading a magazine about patisserie. I was looking for ideas for new cakes from the magazine, either for the decoration or for the cake. I was taking a short break while waiting for my cakes to be done actually.

 

Then, I heard the door bell ringing. I quickly looked up as I stood up ready to say the greeting when I saw a familiar figure came in.

 

"Gikwang?"

 

Gikwang smiled as I mentioned his name. He smiled in the way that made my heart fluttered.

 

“What are you doing here?” I asked as he walked approaching me.

 

"Noona, do you have a time?"

 

I nodded. "Just a short break because I'm baking.” Then I gestured for him to sit on the chair across of me. Gikwang understood and sat there. I sat again to my seat. “What's the matter?"

 

Gikwang leaned forward as he supported his body on the table with his elbows. "I need your help."

 

"For?"

 

"Baking a cake."

 

I frowned. "Why?"

 

"My mom will have her birthday soon."

 

I gasped as I remembered. Lee Omoni would have her birthday soon. She was always good at me even treat me as her own kid. She was the one that I came to when my period first came. Surely, I couldn’t come to Appa about it, right?

 

I discussed many things about girl’ stuffs with her. Basically, she had become my second mom. I never knew my own mother since she had died while I was still a baby and Appa was the one who raised me up. So I owed Lee Omoni a lot. And I felt a little bit guilty for forgetting her birthday.

 

"I forgot about that." I told him as I grinned apologetically.

 

Gikwang just smiled. "So will you help, Noona?"

 

I quickly nodded. "Of course, of course. I will help."

 

His smile went wider. "Thank you, noona."

 

"But tell me what kind of cake that Omoni will like." I asked him.

 

Gikwang went silent as if he was thinking. "Hmm... I don't have any ideas."

 

I tried to remember. But then, something came to my mind. "Ah, Omoni likes fruits, right? Probably I can make her fruits cake. It’s a mixture between sweet, sour and nice. It’s rich in flavors. I’m sure Omoni will like the cake."

 

Gikwang smiled again. "Ah, fruits cake will be good."

 

 

 

= Lee Gikwang =

 

I was looking for an idea of what I should give for my mother’s birthday while walking around on the shopping district. She would have her birthday soon and I had no idea of what I should give her. I wanted to give her something special, but I didn’t know what.

 

At that moment, I passed the café where Aegi noona worked. I stopped and turned to see. I was thinking probably if I was lucky, I would find her.

 

But yes, I found her.

 

She was sitting on the table near the window while reading magazine. I didn’t know why she was slacking around like that but I was glad that she seemed to have her free time. But it seemed like she didn’t notice my presence yet.

 

But then, an idea popped up on my mind.

 

A cake!

 

Omma always made a cake for my birthday or for Aboji or my little brother’s birthday. But she never had cakes for her own birthday. So I was thinking to have one for her. And Aegi noona was a perfect person to come to for the cake. So I went to the door and walked in to the café.

 

I saw Aegi noona stood up as she diverted her gaze from the magazine to me. I guessed she wanted to greet me before she realized that it was me who came to the store.

 

“Gikwang?” She seemed to confuse with my presence there.

 

I just smiled at her then walked toward her.

 

“What are you doing here?” She asked as I walked and stopped in the front of her.

 

I looked at her. As usual, Noona looked beautiful. And with thin layer of natural make up on her face, she looked more beautiful. "Noona, do you have a time?"

 

She nodded. "Just a short break because I'm baking.”

 

Then she made a gesture to ask me to sit on the chair across of her. I understood and sat there. She sat again on the seat where she sat earlier.

 

“What's the matter?"

 

I leaned forward and put my hands on the table. "I need your help." I didn’t know whether she remembered or not.

 

She tilted her head to the side. "For?"

 

"Baking a cake."

 

I frowned. "Why?"

 

"My mom will have her birthday soon."

 

It seemed that she had forgotten my mother’s birthday until I mentioned it to her. She gasped in realization. "I forgot about that." She said as she grinned apologetically.

 

I just smiled. No wonder if she was forgot. She had lived far from us for some years.

 

"So will you help, Noona?"

 

She quickly nodded. "Of course, of course. I will help."

 

My smile went wider. "Thank you, noona."

 

“But tell me what kind of cake that Omoni will like."

 

Now I was confused by her question. I never saw Omoni eating cakes before. Even if I ever watched her, I didn’t remember what kind of cakes that she took. "Hmm... I don't have any ideas." I told noona.

 

Then Noona went silent. It seemed that she was trying to remember or to find a good cake for my mom. She was frowning and pouting her lips as she thought. But her frown and pout disappeared as something came to my mind. I smiled slightly as I watched her. It was her habit that she often did when she had something that she thought of. Her face became brighter and she looked back at me.

 

"Ah, Omoni likes fruits, right? Probably I can make her fruits cake. It’s a mixture between sweet, sour and nice. It’s rich in flavors. I’m sure Omoni will like the cake."

 

At that time, I noticed that Noona’s face became brighter as she explained. Her eyes became sparkling and she seemed to be happy. Noona really loved to bake cakes. A smile slipped to my lips as I saw her.

 

"Ah, fruits cake will be good."

 

She smiled widely. “Then I’ll make her a fruit cake. It’s for this Sunday, right?”

 

I nodded.

 

“Then I’ll prepare it for you.” She said as she closed the magazine on the front of her. She stood up from the chair as she asked, “Do you want to take a cake or something? It’s on me.”

 

But then, I grabbed her hand as I was not finished with my speech yet. She stopped and looked at me with her rounded eyes and confused look.

 

“And on that day, can you come to our house too?” I asked her.

 

She tilted her head again. Aish, she’s really cute when she did that.

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m sure Omma wants to see you again.”

 

She seemed to realize it. “Ah, right.” Then she smiled. “Okay then. I’ll come to your house with the cake.”

 

I smiled to hear that. “I will invite the Hyungs, Yoseob and Dongwoon too.” I told her as I released her hand.

 

She nodded eagerly.

 

“Aegi-ssi.”

 

Her co-worker called her and made her to look at the counter.

 

“Your cake.”

 

Aegi noona nodded. “Thank you.” She told her co-worker then turned to see me again. “Sorry. I need to go now.”

 

“It’s fine.” I told her then stood up. “I also need to go now. I just stop by to tell you about it.”

 

“Ah.” I didn’t know why but she seemed a little bit disappointed. “Okay then.” She nodded. “Be careful on your way, okay.”

 

“But…” I took out my mobile phone from my pocket. “Can I know your number, Noona?”

 

“Huh?”

 

“You changed your number, right? When you moved out, we couldn’t reach you since you changed your number. So, can I know your new number? So I can contact you easier.”

 

She nodded. “Sure.” She said as she fished out her phone from her pants’ pocket.

 

I put her number and saved it to my phonebook. Surely the Hyungs, Yoseob and Dongwoon would kill me for having Noona’s number before them. But at least it would make me easier to call her and discussed our plan for my mom’s birthday later. And as I input her number, I couldn't wait to see my mom’s face when she saw Aegi noona.

 

Omma, your daughter had become prettier.

 

---

 

Another update~ Hehehe~

Ah, yeah, Aegi had lost her mother since she was a baby and her only family was her father that had died. Well, more about Aegi's family will come up later~ I won't discuss about her now~ just see~ ^^)v

For all the readers, thank you for subscribing and reading this fic~ commenting would be nice~ but to see that my subscribers and view counts increased, it's making me glad too~ I hope you will enjoy the story. To the silent readers, thank you so much to take a look on the fic and read it~ I really do appreciate it, seriously~