Divorce

Without You

There were ten people waiting on outside of the ICU room. They were all dressed on fine dresses and suits. But all of them wore the same expression. The expression of solemn and worried.

 

The woman who sat beside an old man gave him a hug. She put her head on her father's shoulder. The man beside her seemed to encourage them.

 

On the other side, there were six people sitting there. One of them was a girl wearing a wedding dress with a suit on her shoulder. She was biting her lip, looking at the young man who paced back and fro on the middle of the room.

 

One young man on white tuxedo was paced back and fro anxiously. Sometime he stopped and looked at the ICU door before he started to walk back and fro again. He looked so worried. In his heart, he was praying that nothing had happened.

 

But none of them were speaking.

 

And then, the ICU door was opened and the doctor came out. The old man and his daughter quickly stood up as the doctor came at them. The young man in white tuxedo walked closer too. Six friends of him stood up and came to his side.

 

"Doctor, how's my wife?"

 

The doctor seemed in grief. He dropped his gaze and became silent for a moment. Then he looked up.

 

"I'm so sorry to tell you that your wife is on the last stage of her pancreatic cancer."

 

The woman gasped in disbelieve as she held her stomach. She stumbled to the back and her husband quickly embraced her.

 

"No, it's impossible. My mom..." The young man in white tuxedo said but then stopped. He realized that his mother looked skinner and so tired lately. But he didn't think that was because of the cancer.

 

"I'm so sorry." The doctor said again.

 

The girl on the wedding dress took her newly husband's hand and held it.

 

"Is there any possibilities that my wife would heal?" The old man asked.

 

The doctor shook his head griefingly. "I'm so sorry. There's nothing that we can do. At this rate, Mrs. Yoon only has a month or two maximum to live." He said.

 

"Can we see her?" The young man on white tuxedo asked.

 

The doctor looked at the seven young people.

 

"Which one of you is Shin Aegi?"

 

The girl in wedding dress looked at the doctor and stepped forward. "I am Shin Aegi."

 

"Mrs. Yoon wants to talk with you first."

 

"Ah." She looked understand and bowed slightly. "Thank you very much."

 

“But the rest of you can wait inside.”

 

The old man bowed. “Thank you.”

 

 

= Shin Aegi =

 

As I walked in to the ICU room with everyone, I felt kinda guilty toward Doojoon, Doori onnie and also Aboji since Omoni asked me to see her first. Yoseob, Hyunseung, Dongwoon, Gikwang and Junhyung decided to return to the church to take care of the rest on the behalf of us.

 

The nurse guided us to the room where Omoni got her treatment. Doojoon, Aboji, Doori onnie and her husband stopped before the door. When I walked into the room, I saw Omoni lay on the bed with all cables and IV drops on her. She looked weak but conscious. She smiled as I came in.

 

“Come here, Aegi.” She mouthed weakly as she stretched her hand to me.

 

I came toward her and took her hand. I gave her my smile. “How do you feel, Omoni?” I asked her softly.

 

She just smiled. “I’m better.” She said. Then her eyes went to the window where her family was waiting. The she looked as if she was concerned about something. She looked back at me. “I’m sorry and thank you for keeping my condition from my family. It must be hard for you to keep it from Doojoon since he is your best friend.”

 

I smiled.

 

“And I’m so sorry that I will make your life harder with Doojoon now.” She smiled again.

 

I chuckled slightly to hear that. “It’s fine, Omoni. He has become my best friend long before we’re married.”

 

“Aegi.” She called my name softly.

 

“Yes?”

 

“Please take care of my son. I trusted him in to your care.”

 

When Omoni said those words, I felt that my tears started to build up on my eyes. But since I was afraid that I would make Omoni became sad, I tried to hold back.

 

“I’ll take care of Doojoon. You don’t have to worry about him, Omoni. I promise you.” I leaned forward and gave a kiss on her cheek. “Now, Aboji, Onnie and Doojoon must be wanted to see you.”

 

She nodded. “But I need to speak with Doojoon first.”

 

“I’ll call him for you.” I told her then walked out.

 

Doori onnie and Aboji seemed to look as if they were waiting to be called when I opened the door.

 

“Doojoon.” I called as I held the door. “Omoni wants to speak with you.”

 

Doojoon quickly moved forward and came in. I closed the door and just looked at him. Doojoon was talking with Omoni. They were talking with soft voices. But I saw Doojoon took a look at me, so I assumed that they were talking about me. I dropped my gaze. But then…

 

“Aegi.”

 

I heard Doojoon called my name. I looked up and saw that he wanted me to come closer. So I walked toward them.

 

“Yes, Omoni?”

 

Omoni held my hand as her other hand held Doojoon’s hand. “I want you two to come back home. Today is your wedding day and both of you must be tired.” She said. “So rest today.” She looked at Doojoon. “Don’t be stubborn. You’re not alone now. You have a wife to take care of.”

 

Doojoon smiled. “Alright, Omma.”

 

“Then go now.” She said then let my hand go and patted Doojoon’s hand. “I’ll still manage. So don’t be too worried about me.”

 

“I’ll back again later.” Doojoon said as he stood up from the bed and kissed his mother’s forehead. “See you later, Omma.”

 

Omoni just smiled and looked at me. “Be careful, both of you.”

 

“See you, Omoni.”

 

 

= Yoon Doojoon =

 

I drove my car in silent. Aegi was sitting beside me and didn’t speak either. But at that moment, I really appreciated that she didn’t speak at all since I had many thoughts on my mind.

 

Earlier, I just found out that Aegi actually knew about my mom’s disease. But since Omma asked her not to tell anything about her condition to us, Aegi had to keep it as a secret. Actually, a part of me felt betrayed by Aegi with the fact that she kept silence about my mom’s condition and for my mom since she kept her condition as a secret from us. But then, I also thought that it must have been hard for Aegi or my mom to act as if everything was fine around us. And there was something else…

 

I took a quick look at Aegi. She was looking outside and seemed to think about something. She rested her elbow on the window sill and propped her chin on her palm. I smiled to see her.

 

“Aegi.”

 

She turned her head to see me. “Huh?”

 

“I’m so sorry.” I looked at her.

 

She looked confused and tilted her head. “For what?”

 

“Omma asked you to keep her condition as a secret, right?”

 

She seemed to understand. “Ah…”

 

“It must be hard for you.”

 

She moved to lower her hand and straightened her position. “I’m fine with it actually.” She said then dropped her gaze. “But I’m just worried about you, Onnie and Aboji.”

 

I smiled because of her words. I really appreciated the fact that she cared about me and that she went so far to the point that she had agreed to marry me. But somehow, after I knew the fact that she knew about my mom’s condition, I couldn’t help but to think that she had agreed about our marriage because of my mom’s condition.

 

I had never known the real reason on why she had agreed to marry me on the first place. She loved Junhyung yet she chose to marry me. And she never told me about her feeling too. So I made the conclusions that she just married me because she wanted to please my mom.

 

Of course it broke my heart and made me feeling betrayed. But still, I appreciated her. She was my best friend and I cared about her.

 

Not only as a best friend, but also as a woman that I loved.

 

And, there was one thing that I could do to put all these messes to the end.

 

“Aegi.”

 

“Humm?”

 

I stopped my car on the parking lot of the church. I cleared out my throat and looked at Aegi.

 

“Let’s divorce after everything is done.”

 

---

Update~

And so sorry for a long break~ well, I know it's not too long actually... but I'm kinda confused on how to write this chapter. So I hope the chapter is good enough.

And... bad news... that my workload at my office is increasing since one of my co-worker got terminated suddenly and the organization structure changed, making me to be the personal assistant for the General Manager plus managing 3 - 5 managers *not included the Division Head*. So, I guess I won't be able to update so rapidly as I used to do. I'm so sorry about that >___<

But I'll try my best to keep on updating this fic and also the other fics that I have.

For all the readers, thank you for subscribing and reading this fic~ commenting would be nice~ but to see that my subscribers and view counts increased, it's making me glad too~ To the silent readers, thank you so much to take a look on the fic and read it~ I really do appreciate it, seriously~

Enjoy the story, everyone~ ^^

And hello to new subscribers~ 52 subscribers~ 1974 views for 35 Chapters plus 154 comments. Wuah~ I love you all~ \(^o^)/ You're never failed to make me flail with your comments. Thank you so much~ ^3^ ~<3