CHAPTER 15: MEMORY

MASTER'S DOLL

LEO’s POV

 

 

About days after the incident, words gone abrupt that Rosie was involved in an accident during training, causing her broken leg and earned her a hit to the head, which led her to get some rest in the hospital. Luckily enough, her comeback stage was finished even though because of the accident, she missed their last goodbye stage.

 

The company set everything to look like she really did had an accident because she fell from a staircase, and hit her head until she temporarily unable to remember. But our company professionally kept the facts away from the media, and the netizen’s attention were focused more on how my company should treat their idols better.

 

 

What actually happened was way worse than that.

 

 

Doctor Seo contacted me, and told me that Rosie had been assigned as a special patient to a famous psychiatrist in the hospital, and was receiving therapies already during the week. They said her progress was good, that she could finally fall asleep comfortably at night, with less tremors and fatigueness.

The psychiatrist did the routine therapy and evaluation while telling her to have a deep, comfortable sleep every few hours, and also forbid her to return to her normal dance practice room, where the accident happened.

 

The problem is, the psychiatrist who handled Rosie’s case spoke differently from Doctor Seo, as he forbade me from meeting Rosie at all. He contacted me and gave me updates on Rosie’s condition every once in a while, but the frequency of that update came less and less as time went, leaving me frustrated at everything. Doctor Seo also refused to update me on anything about Rosie’s memory, only limiting the updates on her physical status, and, at the end of every phone call, assured me that she will be fine.

 

What worried me more was the fact that even staffs of our company didn’t talk about Rosie at all.

 

The last update that came was about one week ago, from Doctor Seo. She said that even to call me she had to hide and making that phonecall in private.

 

 

“I’m sorry I can’t reach you as usual, Taekwoon-ssi. Things got.. complicated here. Your company forbade us to state anything about Rosie to anyone to ensure her wellbeing.”

“But I’m her--!”

“Yes, yes, I know. That’s why I call you now. You’ve got to know the hardships I had to face just to make this call.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Well..” she sighed through the phone, “Rosie’s stitches are all dried and fixed. She took her medication well. She’s more stable now, even though she still can’t move too much.”

“Then?”

“I know you’d say that..”

“Please, doctor. Why can’t I see her? Just... in a distance, you know, yet close to her—“

“I told you, Doctor Shin said your presence would be a burden to him.”

“What...?”

Doctor Seo sighed again. “Doctor Shin had told me... that my previous presumption, about your presence would help Rosie gaining back her memories, was wrong.”

“W..What do you mean...?”I didn’t realize, but my fist had went zero degrees, and balled against the wall.

“Rosie...” Doctor Seo paused. “Rosie showed a significant progress, but the result are... reversed. I swore I couldn’t say anything else anymore.”

“What do you mean?! Please, doctor, don’t make this hard on me—“

“I have said what I could!” Doctor Seo cut me short. “In summary, just.. please, Taekwoon-ssi, for your own sanity, for your own good, don’t go and see Rosie until I cleared the path. Do you hear me?”

My phone almost slipped through my finger.

I couldn’t reply.

“Taekwoon-ssi... just please, don’t show your frustration on camera. Rosie always watched you, that’s what I could say now, even though... her thoughts works differently now. So please, be happy. She will be fine.”

 

But after that one phone call, Doctor Seo stopped contacting me. The doctors gave me exactly zero updates regarding her condition. The company reps also remained silent everytime I tried to ask them.

 

I started to think that something might happen to Rosie that the company didn’t want me to know.

 

I tried to act as usual, letting myself looser than before, to let out some steam, because honestly I couldn’t even concentrate at anything, until at some point after our concert tour, I refuse to take up any job at all. All I could think about was Rosie.

 

 

“She’s always watching you, even though her thoughts works differently now...”

 

 

More days passed, yet still I got no update on Rosie’s condition. Everytime I tried to go to the hospital, my manager caught me and forbid me. Even Doctor Seo rejected my calls, and neglected my texts. Things went weirder, as even no one in the company talked about her. I still had no chance to see her group mates as they were also very busy preparing their next album, which was planned to be a full studio album.

 

I honestly was at the lowest point of my life. Even our group’s anniversary was not as exciting for me. My mind was constantly distracted.

 

 

Yes, I laughed.

But it was all because Doctor Seo said that Rosie always watched me.

Her mind.. worked differently?

I honestly didn’t even get what that mean.

 

 

“Hyung, eat,” Sanghyuk casually stuffed a hot dog into my mouth.

I munched absentmindedly.

 

We were at the waiting room for a joint concert in the middle of the year. Everyone was preparing for our performance, except for Hakyeon, who fell asleep next to me. Our turn was about 15 minutes from now, and Sanghyuk woke Hakyeon up as our stage coordinator hushed us out of the room.

“Is it our turn now?” Hongbin asked the stage coordinator.

“Nope. Bangtan is performing right now. After them CALIGULA would be up, followed by EXID, and you guys perform after them,” the stage coordinator noona read her rundown list.

 

 

My heart skipped a beat.

 

 

“CALIGULA..? Are they...?”

“Full-team, five minutes slot, yes,” she said.

 

 

Full team...?

What the... Rosie..?

 

 

Suddenly the coordinators asked us to get out and be on stand-by position near the stage.

 

“Okay, let’s go guys!” Hakyeon shouted, and pulled my arm to gather with the other members, forming our usual cheering formation. After that, we walked out of our waiting room.

 

I couldn’t control my emotions, even when my groupmates were especially cheerful. With loud cheerings, laughter and chatter, we went out of the waiting room into the corridor.

 

“Ya, focus a little, come on,” Hakyeon put his arm around my shoulder as we walked through the corridor.

 

I nodded.

 

 

 

But just as we walked to the gates, four girls dressed in strong, metallic-red costumes crossed our path, bowed in respect towards us.

 

Four girls, dressed in a strong-concepted metallic silver and red as vixens...

 

Lee Jihae..

Ryu Gain..

Shim Eunhee...

And...

 

“Rosie...?” I whispered.

 

 

They bowed to us, greeted us politely while walking, but only as needed as they were rushed by their manager.

 

“Rosie...” I muttered.

 

 

But Rosie didn’t even look at me, nor smiled at all. She walked straight forward, her hair flowing around her just as if the wind danced with her every lock.

 

She didn’t seem like the Rosie that I knew.

 

Adrenaline rushed in me.

I need to know. After all this time... she was healed already...?

 

“ROSIE!”

 

I strongly turned my body and grabbed her upper arm, stopping her, pulling her towards me.

 

Her wavy, shoulder-long brown hair danced behind her as she finally faced me.

 

 

I held my breath.

 

 

It was her.

She really was beautiful.

Breathtakingly beautiful... more than the usual.

I could tell that she lost more than a few pounds, now that her cheekbones prodded clearly.

 

 

But her eyes....

 

She glared at me, frowning in some sort of... shock, and cold, freezing rage.

Like I annoyed her, like I was just a... bug, an insect that happened to pass by and annoy her.

 

 

“Rosie..?” I hesitantly called her name, again and again, just to check that this wasn’t a dream.

 

She stood quiet for a couple of seconds, until finally, her lips moved.

 

Go away.

 

 

Rosie roughly pulled her arm away from my grasp, and while shooting me her last glare from the side of her eyes, she turned and walked away from me, in pure annoyance.

 

 

Everything felt like it ran on slow motion mode. I could only stood there, at the spot she left me behind, watching her walking away coldly.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'M SO SORRY

I KILLED THE MOOD, I KNOW.

But...

I'm gonna tease you guys tonite ;)