Extra 28 - Proud

Detention
  1. a/n: YOOOO! I'm alive! Life's but I'm alive!

first, check out my canon xiuho oneshot titled Choker if you haven't xD

anyway, it's been more than 2 months since i update this fic!

so, sorry if this one seems.... weird (?)

very oring for sure! but, new year, new Minseok xD

it's supposed to be a new year chapter, but i'm suuuuuper late!

well, enjoy!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Junmyeon sighed at the sight of Minseok's flipflop at his doorstep. He had a very long and tiring day, and somehow seeing Minseok's flipflop just gave him a sense of being home. He threw his keys to the small table where he also put a framed picture of Minseok and himself, put his bag down, took off his coat and threw it on top of his bag. "Baby, I'm home!" He greeted.

 

Minseok took out his earphone and jumped out of Junmyeon's bed, where he spent about an hour watching random videos while waiting for his man. He happily stormed out of the bedroom to greet the older male. "Welcome home!" He greeted back even before he could see Junmyeon.

 

In the living room, Minseok found Junmyeon standing there with open arms where he just jumped right in for a hug. He missed Junmyeon, he always missed Junmyeon when he couldn't see him. His smile flattered when he pulled away and saw Junmyeon's face. Junmyeon was smiling at him, but it was different, it wasn't like the other smiles Junmyeon usually flashed at him, something was off. "What's wrong?" He asked in concern.

 

Of course he would realize, Junmyeon thought to himself, Minseok wasn't blind, and he was his boyfriend, of course he could tell when something was not right. But the problem was, it's not that he didn't want to tell Miseok about what was wrong, but he really didn't have anything to tell. It was just that time when he felt so overwhelmed by work and school and felt like anything he did was just not good enough. "Nothing," He said, hoping that Minseok would buy it, "I'm just really tired."

 

Minseok reached up, cupping Junmyeon's cheek with his cold hand and brushes his thumb over Junmyeon's cheek, he wanted to ask more, but decided to keep his questions to himself. "Do you want some tea?" He asked instead.

 

There was a rush of love and affection flooding Junmyeon’s heart, his boyfriend was just so precious, so he dipped and nudged Minseok’s cold cheek with his nose, “Sure, I would love to have a cup of tea,” And he thought that Minseok would eventually forget about his worry. “And I’m actually kind of lazy to cook, we can just order something for dinner, alright?”

 

“What do you want to eat?” Minseok asked back with a tilt of his head.

 

“Anything will do,” Junmyeon answered as he stepped back, “I’ll just gonna get a shower.” And with that, he walked towards his bathroom to re-fresh himself as Minseok watched his back with worried look until he disappeared behind the door.

 

===========

 

“I ordered Chinese Food for dinner,” Minseok said when he heard Junmyeon walked closer, “And the tea is ready!” He turned his body around just as Junmyeon pulled one chair to sit on.

 

“Thank you, Baby,” Junmyeon said with a smile after Minseok put the warm beverages in front of him.

 

Minseok walked around Junmyeon’s chair and stood behind his back before lowered himself and circled his arms around Junmyeon’s shoulder, cheek pressed to the side of Junmyeons head. He couldn’t do that, he couldn’t just ignore his worry. “What’s wrong?” He whispered softly. “I probably can’t help you with anything, but I’m a good listener.”

 

Junmyeon smiled, even though Minseok couldn’t see it, he felt so silly for underestimating Minseok’s love for him. He pulled Minseok to his lap, “But I really am just tired,” He really have nothing else to tell and he could still see doubt on Minseok’s face. “Make me feel better then,” He said and tilted his chin asking for a kiss.

 

Finally a smile appeared on Minseok’s face and he took no time to grant Junmyeon’s wish. But it was only a few second before Junmyeon pulled back, making him confused as to what he did wrong. “What?” He asked.

 

“I just remember something,” Junmyeon answered, “I got an invitation to a year end event from school, it was for the scholarship holders and people from the institution, the professors, donators, staffs… Anyway, we are allowed to bring family… or partners, since my family obviously wont come, and I want to bring you anyway, do you want to come with me?” He saw Minseok chewing his bottom lip, “I know, you are not very comfortable around strangers in formal event especially around old people, so it’s okay if you don’t want to come. But, if it helps, Jinki hyung will be there too, and he’ll bring Kibum with him, since his parent’s are on the cruise.”

 

Minseok was thinking, it was true that he didn’t really comfortable being in a formal event, especially around a lot of old men, like what he thought it would be at that coming event. But he also thought that that was the time for him to proper himself and try to be good enough for Junmyeon, by being his boyfriend and his support instead of a burden all the time. Beside, Junmyeon told him that Kibum and Jinki would be there too, so, “It’s alright, I’ll go with you.” He said with a smile.

 

Junmyeon squinted his eyes, playfully, “You are not agreeing just because I told you Jinki hyung will be there, are you?” He asked jokingly, because Minseok was so interested in Jinki. Well, he knew that Minseok didn’t like Jinki like that, but he would be lying if he said he didn’t feel a tiny bit jealous.

 

“Well…” Minseok said with equally playful smile and hugged Junmyeon around his shoulder and giggling on his ear.

 

“It’s formal event though, we need to get you a suit.”

 

“Ugh!” Minseok grunted and buried his face on Jumyeon’s neck. He loathed suit.

 

==========

 

The event was pretty much like what Minseok had expected. It was formal, a lot of hand shake, a lot of talking, a lot of forced smiles, and he also had to keep in his mind not to give away about his age or school to strangers. At least he had Junmyeon by his side, and to be honest, the food there was really good too.

 

It was probably about twenty minutes before the event started when Minseok heard Junmyeon was greeted by a familiar voice that also made him turned his head towards the owner of the voice and he suddenly became shy when he saw who that was. He already told Jumyeon that he really liked Jinki, of course, Junmyeon understood what he meant when he said that, not like he liked him as a man. Maybe as a brother, because Jinki just looked so mature and protective in a brotherly way, but, what did he know? He never had any brother before.

 

When Jinki and Kibum walked closer, Minseok started to hug Junmyeon’s arm and tried to hide half part of himself behind Junmyeon’s shoulder, like a kid when they were about to be introduced to their parents’ friends. “What’s wrong?” Junmyeon asked with an amused smile, while Minseok just mumbled a short “Nothing,” as an answer.

 

“Hi Minseok!” Jinki finally greeted, “Nice to meet you again!”

 

“H-Hi.. Hyung..” If people who didn’t know them saw how Minseok acted that time, they probably thought that Minseok had a crush on Jinki.

 

Kibum tilted his head, trying to get a better look on Minseok, “What’s wrong, dear?” He asked, a bit concerned. He had heard a lot about Minseok from Junmyeon, and he thought that probably, they made Minseok felt uncomfortable around them.

 

“He’s just shy,” Junmyeon answered for Minseok.

 

Kibum felt relieved and cooed, “Awwh… We will get a long just fine!”

 

They talked for a few minutes, and Minseok eventually be able to respond to the conversation, and to his own pleasant surprise, he actually enjoyed being there, well, at least if he ignore all of the other strangers in that room anyway.

 

“Oh, I think it’s gonna start about now,” Jinki said, when he saw someone whom he recognized as a university staff walked to a low stage that was prepared for the event. “Take Minseok with you, Kibum.” He continued, and patted Kibum’s lower back.

 

The event organizers prepared separate seats arrangement for the scholarship holders and for their families (or partners), so Kibum and Minseok had to take a seat few rows behind Jinki and Junmyeon. As much as he hated to be separated from Junmyeon, he was relieved that he at least had Kibum to accompany him through out the event. The last part of the event was actually an award ceremony kind of thing, where they gave a certificate and a small plaque for the best scholarship holder that year. Jinki won the award, and somehow, Minseok also felt happy for him too.

 

“You must be so proud of him,” Minseok whispered on Kibum’s ear when Jinki gave his speech in front of the audience.

 

Kibum turned his head to face Minseok with a smile, “Yeah, I’m so proud of him,” He said and paused, “But, aren’t you too?” He asked Minseok back. “Aren’t you proud of Junmyeon too?” He asked when Minseok gave him a questioning look.

 

For a split second, Minseok gave himself a time to think about Kibum’s question. He always sees Junmyeon as an amazing man. Junmyeon had a full time job, after then, he went to night classes, and on top of that, Junmyeon also taking care of him twenty four seven. Other than a few times Junmyeon said he was tired, which, very few compared to the amount of things he was responsible of, Junmyeon never really complained about anything. There was this one time when he took a nap in Junmyeon’s office after school, and just before he closed his eyes, he saw Junmyeon was working on his desk, and at that time, he thought to himself of what an amazing person Junmyeon was, and yes, he was proud of him. “I do,” He said and turned his head to find Junmyeon, “I’m proud of him too.”

 

“Have you ever told him that?” Kibum asked again with softer voice, and he took Minseok’s silence as a ‘no’. “Don’t you think he’s too hard on himself sometimes?” He asked again, and finally Minseok gave a small nod as a respond. He took a breath before talking some more, “He’s always like that since he was young, it was because he wanted some recognition from his parents at first, but his parents were too busy to notice. And now, it’s became a habit it seems.” Kibum could see Minseok became quite and looked like the younger was trying to digest his words, so he continued, “He just wanted that one ‘good job’ and pat in the back from his parents, but, everything he did was invisible to them, so now, even if other people told him how good he is, he would never believe that.” He then grabbed Minseok hand and gave it a light squeeze and that made Minseok looked at him straight in the eye, “I’m not saying that you have to praise him all time, just,” he paused a little, smiled softly and continued, “try to tell him what’s in your mind, about what you think of him. I know it’s probably hard at first, but, it’s just Junmyeon, isn’t it? You can always tell him everything.”

 

By the end of that event, when he saw Junmyeon was approaching him, all the image of what Junmyeon had done for him flashing in Minseok’s head. And when Junmyeon kissed his forehead before he took him home, he grew a new determination in his heart and mind. It was time for him to be that person who can lift Junmyeon up, just like what Junmyeon did for him all the time.

 

===========

 

“Jinki hyung is so great, isn’t he?” Junmyeon said mindlessly when he was washing the dishes after a midnight snack, while Minseok making some hot chocolate for both of them.

 

Minseok stopped stirring the hot liquid and looking at Junmyeon’s back, while his boyfriend kept talking.

 

“Jinki hyung is so smart, he’s always at the top of every class he took, and all professors always love his papers. I can’t even get jealous of him, he deserve all the praise and awards.” Even when he said he was not jealous, Junmyeon did sound a bit jealous, even though it was not in negative way.

 

Minseok put down the spoon in his hand and walked behind Junmyeon before hugging him from behind just right when Junmyeon put away the last plate to the drying rack. He circled his arms around Junmyeon’s middle and buried his face on Junmyeon’s shoulder. But it was only lasted for a few second, because he had something to say to Junmyeon. So, he released the hug and turned Junmyeon around so he could see his eyes. “I’m so proud of you,” He whispered as he cupped Junmyeon’s face between his hands and smiled.

 

Junmyeon was take aback by what he hear, confusion was written all over his face and his eyes were all over Minseok’s face, trying to find a trace of joking sign, but he found nothing but a genuine smile, and sparkly eyes that were looking at him in a way that made him feel special. “What?” He whispered back.

 

“I’m so proud of you, Junmyeon.” Minseok repeated what he said.

 

So, he heard thing right, Junmyeon thought. “But, why?” He asked again.

 

Minseok rested his palms at the back of Junmyeon’s neck, “Why not? You had done a lot,” He started, it was not as hard as he thought, “You have a full time job, you go to classes at night, and doing great at that too. And on top of that, you take care of me days and night, twenty four seven, which sounds like you have three jobs at once. We both know I’m not the easiest person to be with, but look at me now, you always told me that you are proud of me, but do you know that any progress I made, it was all because of you?” He talked in low voice, so soft, almost like a whisper, “You, my love, no one can do that better than you. And yes, I’m so proud of you, and everything you have done for me, for us, for this relationship.”

 

He wasn’t sure why, but Junmyeon could feel a lump in his throat, after listening to Minseok’s word. There were a lot of feeling in his chest, he didn’t even know how to explain them, but one thing for sure, he felt relieved and happy. It was almost like he finally got something that he didn’t even realized he was so craving for. “You’re proud of me?” He asked one more time, just to make sure and he saw Minseok nodded his head. “Thank you,” He exhaled, he could feel some moist in his eyes. A long time a go, he wanted his parents to say those words to him, so he tried his best to do well in school and in anything he did, but his parents just never acknowledge any of his effort, so he eventually had it in him that he was just not good enough. But then, when he heard the words from Minseok, the person that mattered the most to him, it was just so overwhelming in the best way possible.

 

Didn’t want to make the situation became too tearful-ly, Minseok lifted himself and gave Junmyeon a sweet kiss, that, unfortunately, didn’t last long, because they could hear the sound of fireworks blasted from outside. Minseok pulled away and gave a big grin to Junmyeon and pulled him along to see the fireworks from the window in Junmyeon’s living room. It was amazing that they could see the fireworks from their tiny apartment. They wasn’t sure whether if they weren’t paying attention before, or it was the first that happened in their humble neighborhood.

 

“Happy new year!” Junmyeon said to Minseok’s ear, as he hugged his tiny boyfriend from behind.

 

Minseok turned his head and pecked Junmyeon’s cheek, “Happy new year!”

 

“Promise me that you’ll still with me by next year,” Junmyeon whispered.

 

“As long as you allowed me to stay, I’ll stay. If you don’t, then I’ll beg to stay,” Minseok whispered back.

 

==========

 

“What did you do the last new year tho?” Minseok asked after he comfortably snuggled in Junmyeon’s arms. They spent the first two hours of 2016 in bed, watching random videos while drinking hot chocolate, playing tug of war with the blanket, sharing little kisses, and playing a tickle war. It was perfect.

 

 

“Here, alone, probably sleeping.” Junmyeon answered sleepily.

 

“Me too,” Minseok said and let out a little giggle. It was amusing to think that just last year, how different the situation was for them.

 

Junmyeon couldn’t help but to feel stupid, “Sorry, I didn’t date you earlier.” He said, half joking, half serious.

 

“You have to love me forever as a punishment then,” Minseok whispered to Junmyeon’s throat.

 

“I’ll gladly take my punishment.”

 

 

 

a/n: I'm super late but, Happy New Year! :D