Extra 13 - Christmas

Detention

 

a/n: Happy Holiday Everyone!!!!!!!!! So, hope you like this extra... because... I tried u_u; I haven't proofread this yet.. I will tho!

 

 

 

 

 

“Junmyeon… I really think that you should—”

 

“Do you want the small tree or the big tree?” Minseok didn’t even get to finish his sentence before Junmyeon cut him. It was about two weeks before Christmas and they were in the middle of shopping for a Christmas tree and decorations because they (Junmyeon, actually), decided to put up a Christmas tree at Minseok’s apartment. Minseok never put a Christmas tree before, so they need to buy everything, from the tree, the lights and other decorations to hang, it was a lot of work for two, but it was fun. Fun, if only they didn’t have different idea for what to do on Christmas.

 

Minseok exhaled loudly, “That one,” he said with rather defeated voice as he pointed at a medium sized white tree that slightly taller than him. “Junmyeon, are you really going to—”

 

“White or yellow?” Junmyeon cut again as he lifted two boxes of Christmas light for Minseok to choose.

 

Minseok whined slightly before answering, “Yellow.” He then followed Junmyeon around the store for some (read: a lot of) other decorations, range from some shiny bulb ornaments, cute little deer, to miniature candy cane and snowman. Minseok wouldn’t lie, he was excited about the holiday, he always thought that holidays were for those with family and loved ones, but since he had none, he didn’t really cared about them before. But since he had Junmyeon, for the first time in his life, he felt excited as the holiday season came. He no longer felt lonely when he saw couples did their holiday shopping, or sad when he walked pass a store and saw people buying gifts for their families and friends, he didn’t even flinch when he heard people making plans for New Year and what not. However, there was one thing that bugged him, “Junmyeon, are you sure about—”

 

“What do you want for the top of your tree?”

 

Guessed he needed to wait to talk about it, “The star.”

 

=======

 

They were in the middle of decorating their tree, and Minseok was trying to untangled the Christmas light (that somehow became even more tangled than before) as he watched Junmyeon hanging various ornament on the tree. There was something bugging his mind, Junmyeon insisted that he would spent the Christmas with him instead of going home. Of course he would be happy to spend the holiday with his boyfriend, even more, because it was his first ever celebrating holiday. But he thought Junmyeon should at least go home and celebrates it with his family for a day or two, especially because ever since they started dating, Junmyeon never once visited his family’s house. He wouldn’t mind that, he would understand if Junmyeon wanted to go home for few days, but for some reason Junmyeon was being extra persistent that he would stay with him.

 

Minseok put the lights down and hesitantly walking towards Junmyeon as he fiddled with the hem of his long sleeved t-shirt. “Junmyeon, are you sure you don’t want to go home for Christmas?” He asked carefully.

 

Junmyeon looked down at the snow shaped ornament in his hand, he looked like he was thinking about something, before finally hung the ornament to one of the tree’s twig and turned towards Minseok. He stared at his boyfriend for a few long seconds and reaching out to at Minseok’s cold cheek, “Do you want me to tell you something about Christmas in my family?” He asked.

 

Minseok was taken aback at the question, because Junmyeon never really talked about his family. He knew things about Junmyeon’s family, like, he knew that Junmyeon was the only child (pretty interesting because all of them, Luhan, Yixing, Junmyeon and himself are the only child), he knew that his parents didn’t live together, he knew his dad was a head of a big hospital and his mom owned some restaurants, he even knew some of his cousins’ name (Junmyeon also showed him photos), and some other things. But he never really knew details about Junmyeon’s family, like the reason why his parents didn’t live together, and he never asked too, because he thought, Junmyeon would tell him when he’s ready to. So, he was surprised when Junmyeon asked him like that. “Christmas in your family?” He asked back instead.

 

“Yeah, Christmas in my family.” Junmyeon smiled lovingly. He actually felt kind of unfair towards Minseok, because Minseok had told him everything about his life, but there are things he hadn’t tell Minseok yet. Maybe that was the time to tell Minseok about his family, so he pulled Minseok to the couch and sit cross legged facing each other with their knees touched.

 

“What do you want to tell me?” Minseok asked when Junmyeon was just playing with his fingers and not saying anything, not even looking at him.

 

Junmyeon took a deep breath and exhaled loudly to calm himself, feeling small in front of Minseok for taking so long to talk about that, on the other hand, Minseok bravely told him every painful memories he ever had. He still remember that night vividly, probably three weeks into their relationship, when Minseok told him every details of his life, including the detail of that night when he had to run to save his life. He still remember, he felt like his heart was ripped out of his ribcage to see the painful look on Minseok’s face as the younger kept going with his story with a shaky voice and tears streaming down his pale cheek. But then, there he was, unsure about what to tell to Minseok about that big part of his life.

 

He looked up from their hands to see this worried look on Minseok’s face, and at that moment he couldn’t help to think that he was indeed being unfair towards him. He was so blessed to have Minseok in his life, the boy was so understanding and selfless, never asked for anything more than what he gave him. And even though he already gave him everything and anything he could give, he still felt like he was hiding something.

 

“It was when I was thirteen,” Junmyeon finally started. “It was… three days before Christmas, I believe,” he continued slowly, and Minseok just listened patiently, “I remember I woke up in the middle of the night, and I felt thirsty, so I walked downstairs to get some drinks from the kitchen. To go to the kitchen, I had to walk pass the living room where the Christmas tree was. My dad paid people to put up the Christmas tree, because there would be a lot of guests coming to our house, so the tree had to look perfect. The tree was pretty indeed,” he paused to get the image of that night, and continued when he finally got it, “It was huge, maybe twice my height that time, with a lot of gold and silver ornaments, so I stopped there to look at it.” He paused again to catch a deep breath, “And then I heard my parents were fighting in the library.”

 

Minseok’s expression turned into a sad one, and Junmyeon didn’t understand, because compared to what Minseok had been through, what he had been through was pretty easy. Was that because Minseok felt sad for him? What did he do in his previous life to be blessed with someone like Minseok in his current life?

 

Junmyeon felt Minseok’s thumb rubbing the back of his hand as an encouragement, so he went on, “I didn’t exactly remember what they said to each other, but that night, I found out that my mom cheated on my dad with one of the doctor at my dad’s hospital. Both of them were not home that Christmas that year, and mom moved out of the house on New Year’s Eve. Since then, that house… never felt like a home anymore. I always come to that house during holidays, hoping that maybe even just one of them would be there, but my dad was always away and mom never came either. I mean— I know that they love me as their son, but they just—The reason why they didn’t divorced was because of the business, because they don’t want to split the business and cut the profits. So, there are times when I wondered, which one is more important for them, being my parents or being business partner.”

 

Minseok looked like he was ready to burst into tears anytime, and his grip on Junmyeon’s hand became tighter.

 

Junmyeon reached out to cup Minseok’s cheek and smiled at him, “But now, I have you. I finally found someone to come home to, somewhere that I feel like I belong to. So please, can we—can we just celebrate this holiday together? It’s not that I hate my parents, I’ll send them my holiday present, but that house is not a home anymore. My home is here, with you. You told me that I should be home for Christmas, so that’s why I stay.”

 

Minseok was speechless, all of this time, he thought he was the only one who finally found a place that he could call as a home, not only a building with a roof and wall that would covers him from outside world, but a place where he could keep his heart safe. He was about to cry, and not because he was sad. There was a lot of feeling he couldn’t point his fingers on, but he was sure he wasn’t sad. So many things happened in the last few months. In such a short time, he found himself having someone who loved him unconditionally even with all of the ugly side of his life, he found someone he loved, he didn’t even know he could actually fall in love, he even had two goldfishes and then decorating a Christmas tree. Few months before, the only wish he had was for his nightmare to go away, but then, he had the life he didn’t even dare to dream of. So, for Junmyeon to tell him that he found a home in him, maybe, he thought, just maybe, he was not the only one who was so lucky in that room.

 

Minseok then returned Junmyeon’s smile with an understanding one, and nodded before pulling Junmyeon into a slow and sweet kiss, like every other kisses they shared. “Don’t you think we need more Christmas lights?” He asked suddenly when they pulled apart.

 

“We definitely need more,” Junmyeon agreed, “Let’s buy more and we can eat dinner after then, you choose the restaurant.”

 

Minseok jumped out of the couch with a new excitement, “Let’s go then!”

 

==========

 

“We can put a Christmas tree on your apartment too, it’s fun to put one.” Minseok babbled when Junmyeon helped him to put a scarf around his neck, before they off for more Christmas shopping and dinner.

 

“Sure, we can buy another tree for my place,” Junmyeon replied as he tighten the scarf around Minseok’s neck up to his nose, which, apparently too tight because Minseok mumbled ‘Can’t breath!’ under the scarf and he had to apologize right away.

 

“And I want to buy presents for Luhan and Yixing too!” Minseok who finally could breathe properly, continued as he put on his gloves.

 

“Alright… alright…” Junmyeon chuckled, “We’ll buy presents for them too. Ready?”

 

Minseok’s smile was hidden behind his scarf, but Junmyeon still could tell from how his eyes smiled at him, “Ready!”

 

Minseok still need to consult to Luhan about what present he should give to Junmyeon later on, and there are some presents left on Junmyeon’s list that he wanted to buy for Minseok. The Christmas came closer and closer and there are so many things they wanted to do, but they could be at ease, because by the end of the day, they would be together for the holiday. And nothing is more important than that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Junmyeon woke up to an empty bed beside him. It was pretty unusual, because Minseok rarely woke up earlier than him, and even if he did woke up before him, he would either wake him up or just stayed in bed until he wake up too. He glanced at the clock on Minseok's night stand that read 7.30am and decided to look for his boyfriend after rubbing the sleepiness out of his eyes on Minseok's pillow that still had the trace of Minseok's scent. It was really quite when he opened the bedroom door, but he could smell the subtle smell of coffee, a sign that Minseok just brew some, because Minseok couldn't really function without them. He walked slowly towards the living room, to find a really beautiful view.

 

It was just happened that Minseok was wearing a white sweater and a pair of white sweatpants, his hair was dark brown under the sunlight that was seeping lazily trough the big window, he looked painfully beautiful. The boy was sitting at the couch with both his knees pressed to his chest, holding a cup of coffee that was propped between his knees. Junmyeon smiled at the choice of mug, it was the newest one out of the many of their couple mugs that they bought a while ago when they went shopping for Christmas tree, a red mug with reindeer print on it, Junmyeon had the green one. Minseok was staring at the Christmas tree that he and Junmyeon built, it was a white tree with dominant silver ornaments Minseok choose himself, the light was , making the tree looked even more beautiful, but not as beautiful as the one who was staring at it, at least to Junmyeon.

 

"Good morning!" Junmyeon greeted, making the younger shifted his attention from the tree to him instead.

 

The smile on Minseok's face grew wider, "Good morning." He greeted back, and waited for Junmyeon to come closer to him.

 

Once close enough, Junmyeon bent down to plant a kiss to Minseok's cheek and took a seat beside him, which the younger responded by scooted closer and rested his head on Junmyeon's shoulder.

 

"Isn't that pretty?" Minseok asked, referring to the Christmas tree.

 

"Yeah, very pretty indeed," Junmyeon answered, but his eyes were not on the tree, but at the head on his shoulder instead. "Minseok..." He called out.

 

"Yeah?" Minseok lifted his head from Junmyeon's shoulder to look at him.

 

Junmyen gave a loving smile before before lowering his head to capture Minseok's lips in a sweet kiss in contrast with the bitter coffee Minseok just drank, "Merry Christmas." He whispered when he pulled away.

 

"Merry Christmas." Minseok replied with an ear to ear smile. He was so happy.

 

They were so happy.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

a/n: As usual, comments are welcomed~