Chapter 6

The listener

 

“Who exactly are you?” Niel asked confused. “This is creeping me out” he went towards the door to leave the room.

“Niel wait” L.Joe quickly stood up and grabbed Niel’s hand. Niel turned around and stared at his roommate. “I… can’t really explain” started L.Joe. “You’ll think I’m crazy just like others think…” he looked down.

“Huh? Let me guess you can hear other people’s thoughts” Niel joked.

“That’s… kind of true”

“Yeah right” Niel rolled his eyes and left the room. What’s up with this guy? I’ve known him for one year and he never acted like this before… he’s weird

“I’m sorry” mumbled L.Joe and sighed.

When Niel left, Cap walked in the room. He noticed L.Joe sitting on his bed, looking depressed.

“Hey… what’s wrong?” Cap sat next to him.

“Niel thinks I’m crazy and now he’ll probably tell the other students” said L.Joe “He knows…”

“What? H-how?“ panicked Cap.

“Nevermind how! You need to get him back. He won’t talk to me”

“And why do you think he’ll talk to me?” Cap raised his brow.

“Believe me, he’ll talk to you”

“Well okay… I’ll go find him” Cap stood up and left the room.

When Niel left the room he went outside to clear his head. He never suspected L.Joe for anything and now this. All of a sudden he became weird for Niel. Hearing people’s thoughts, year right he thought and sat under the tree. Niel closed his eyes and tried to forget about his crazy roommate until someone interrupted him.

“Hey” said someone, causing Niel to open his eyes.

“C-cap hyung” he quickly stood up.

“Look I know what you’re thinking, I was like you the first time I found out about it too, but look at me and L.Joe now! We’re still best friends and I believe him. He’s not crazy and if you give him a chance to explain, you’ll believe him too. I’m sorry you had to find about this but… we actually need you right now!” said Cap and started to drag Niel with him.

“Woah wait!” Niel stopped him. “I can’t go”

“I’m not taking no for an answer” Cap took Niel in his hands and headed towards his and L.Joe’s shared room.

“Put me down!” yelled Niel.

“No! just give him a chance! He’s your roommate and a friend after all” yelled Cap back. Niel shut up and soon he was brought in his room by Cap. They both entered and saw L.Joe sitting on his bed.

“Niel I’m sorry” he stood up and walked towards his roommate.

“U-um… it’s fine” said Niel awkwardly and looked down. “So… y-you can hear people’s thoughts… and mine?”

“Yes…” L.Joe nodded slowly.

“Everything?” Niel gasped.

“Sadly yes… and don’t worry I didn’t tell him anything”

“You didn’t?” smiled Niel. “Thank you… “

“What are you talking about?” suddenly asked Cap clueless.

“Nothing” blushed Niel embarrassed. L.joe chuckled but soon his smile disappeared when he thought of that teacher from before.

“Hyung” he turned to Cap. “We have to break in principal’s office”

“Finally you agreed, what happened?”  Cap smirked.

“I just can’t wait for that guy…we’re going now”

“Wait! You’re breaking in?” asked Niel surprised.

“Yeah and you’re coming with us!” Cap grabbed Niel’s hand and dragged him out of the room .L.joe followed.

“No no~ no, I can’t, no way! I don’t want to get in trouble because of you two! NO” he tried to escape from Cap’s grasp.

“We won’t!” said L.Joe

“And plus we have him! “ Cap pointed at L.Joe. “He’ll tell us when someone is coming so we can hide” he smiled.

That smile thought Niel.

“Not now Niel” L.Joe shook his head.

“Huh?” he looked at him confused. “Oh my god I totally forgot about you…    um…”Niel started to blush and sighed. “Let’s go…”

They quietly went in the principal’s office. It was already 7 pm and he wasn’t in his office at that time.

“This is not a good idea! You guys didn’t even tell me why are we here” Niel started to panic.

“We’ll tell you later just keep looking for Eric’s file”

“Eric’s file? Who’s Eric? The math teacher?” chuckled Niel.

“Yes” replied Cap as he was going through some files.

“What about him?” gasped Niel.

“We’ll tell you later” L.Joe rolled his eyes and continued looking for the file. He suddenly gasped when he found it. “I found it” he said. Cap and Niel quickly came  beside him. L.Joe opened the file and saw… “Nothing?” he raised a brow. “it’s really… empty, not even a birth date…only a name” he said. He closed the file nervously and something fell from it.

“Wait what’s this?” Niel picked the paper up and handed it to L.joe. L.Joe took it and gasped. It was a picture.

“hey… isn’t that …you?” Cap pointed at the little boy in the picture.

“Yeah…and my mom” L.joe stared at the picture. Some tears fell down on his cheeks. Niel noticed it and got worried.

Why would he have a picture of me and my mother…I bet he killed my dad. He didn’t left us…He’s after me now thought L.Joe. Dad what should I do?

Aish I forgot to lock the room.

“Someone is coming” said L.joe and quickly hid behind the curtains. Niel and Cap hid under the table. A janitor walked in and looked around the room. He went to the table, near Cap and Niel, he took the keys and left the office. But he locked the room. The three boys came out from their hiding places and looked at each other worried.

“What not?” Niel hit Cap’s arm.

“I don’t know” Cap rolled his eyes. “We can… jump from the window” he pointed to the window.

“We’re on the forth floor” yelled Niel and hit his arm again.

“It’s not that high!” said Cap and went towards the window. “Woah! We’re gonna die” he started to fake cry.

“Guys there’s a fire escape over there” said L.Joe coldly.

“Really? YES we’re saved” Niel started to cheer and quickly opened the window. He left first and Cap followed. L.Joe was still staring at the photo. He placed the picture in his pocket and left the office.

~~

“What?” Niel titled his head in confusion.

“Aish L.joe you can’t explain anything nicely” sighed Cap. “Look… when he was 5 or 6 I don’t know, his father left him and his mother. L.Joe listened weird voices every day but he didn’t understand it. His mother left him too a year later cause she gone crazy living with him. She thought that L.Joe was crazy because he always knew what she was thinking. Only his grandparents understood him cause their son, L.joe's father, has the same power. So he grew up with them and now he's here, in Seoul, with us.”

“oh… I’m sorry” Niel looked at L.Joe. “But what about Eric?”

“Well L.Joe thinks that there’s something bad about him…and now we found a picture of him in his file and the file was empty… so he’s probably up to something” sighed Cap.

“A-and what are we going to do?” gasped Niel.

“We can’t do anything really” said L.Joe. “Dad said that he’ll be with me the whole time” he then forced a smile. 

 

That’s true

“Huh? What did you mean by that Niel?” L.Joe looked at him puzzled.

“By what? I didn’t say anything”

“Then if it wasn’t you…” L.Joe got confused. “Who was it?” he gasped and stood up. L.joe ran towards the door. He opened it and walked outside in the hallway. He looked around but no one was there. “What’s going on? Dad?”

You can’t see me son at least not right now...