Chapter 16

The listener

 

The next day L.Joe woke up really early. That thing from yesterday kept bothering him. He couldn’t sleep properly all night. It was 5:30 am when L.Joe woke up. He looked at the clock and sighed. He tried to go back to sleep but just couldn’t. L.joe just couldn’t stop thinking about Niel. He was blaming himself now for what happened.

If I just hadn’t fell for him this would of never happened. He thought and looked at Niel, sleeping peacefully. L.joe smiled before walking into the bathroom.

After he washed up and got dressed he left the room. The hallways were empty. It was silent. L.joe was the only one wondering around. He went outside and sat under the tree, where they all usually sit.

This is where I first met Niel. He smiled at that thought. Getting lost in his thoughts, L.Joe soon fell asleep under the tree.

~~

“Hey hyung, wake up” someone poked L.Joe's cheek. L.Joe slowly opened his eyes. The light from the sun hit his eyes.

“Oh hey… Changjo, Ricky” greeted L.Joe.

“Why are you sleeping here hyung?” asked Ricky.

“I um couldn’t sleep all night… so I somehow ended up here” he chuckled at his answer.

Ricky and Changjo smiled and sat next to him. “Are you okay?” asked Changjo.

“I don’t know, can you please explain me what happened last night?”

The two boys looked at each other and nodded. “Yeah…”

“I want to know everything. First who are you two, then that creepy Eric dude, what was wrong with Niel? And who was that guy from yesterday? Do you know my father? I-is he alive?” L.joe started asking a lot of questions.

“Okay slow down” said Changjo. “We’ll tell you everything”

“We’re actually you’re… cousins”

“What?” L.Joe asked shocked.

“Sorry for not telling you” pouted Ricky. L.joe sighed and then gave them a sign to continue.

“Eric is our uncle. He has powers too, just like us. Um Ricky can mind- control and I can hear what people are talking from a long distance. Our mother was killed when we were 6 years old… they kidnapped us then and tried to take our powers and…they did. Uncle Eric was the one who saved us. Since then we started living with him.”

“Wait, what happened to your powers?”

“It’s kind of complicated…”

“Just tell me”

“Okay… these powers that we have are passing on generations. Your father had powers, our mother and um…uncle Eric. So of course their kinds have them too. The powers that we have belong to the guys who kidnapped us. It was long time ago when their powers were taken away from our people. Now they want their powers back, but they can’t have them forever cause the powers are somehow attached to us. And when they take them away couple of days later they come back. As you know, that happened to you. “ said Changjo.

“There’s only one way to get their powers back without them coming back to us” continued Ricky. “There’s this drink, when you drink it all your powers go away”

“That’s why you told me not to kiss Niel yesterday?” asked L.Joe.

“No, luckily they still haven’t found that drink. There was poison on Niel’s lips” replied Changjo. L.Joe gasped but remained silent.

“They used Ricky’s power on Niel but yours was more powerful and you brought Niel back” smiled Changjo.

“I didn’t even know I had that kind of power” mumbled L.Joe. “H-how did that man know about it?”

“Um… I don’t know” Changjo bit his bottom lip. “B-but don’t worry. He’s one of us” he smiled.

“What about my father?”

“We don’t know where he is. He suddenly disappeared… But we know why he left you” said Ricky.

“W-why?” L.Joe was about to cry.

“He left you because he was scared that you and your mother might get hurt. Just like you’re scared that Niel might get hurt. He left so those men can’t find you. At first they didn’t know that your dad had a son with powers. But as you see they found out about you and now they’re after you” sighed Changjo.

“Oh my god…”

“H-hey don’t cry hyung. Uncle Eric is protecting you with his power. They can’t recognize you as long as you’re not that far away from him.”

“How do you mean?” L.Joe sobbed.

“Well… every time they see you, they see a different person. They have picture of you but they can’t find you cause uncle Eric is using his power.”

“Wow… and all this time I thought he was the bad guy. I thought that he’s going to kill me” L.joe looked down.

“Why did you think that?” chuckled Ricky.

“Cause every time I’m close to him I feel strange and I can’t read his mind. Plus I found pictures of me and my friends on his pc.”

“You went through his pc?” sighed Changjo.

“I had to~” whined L.joe. “I was s-scared” his voice cracked.

“Well you don’t have to be now. You have us and uncle Eric, plus the principal and some other guys”

“The principal?” L.joe was confused.

“Yeah, he’s the boss” chuckled Ricky.

“Wow who would of thought” chuckled L.Joe. “Wait… I didn’t asked you one question”

“What is it?”

“Why me? Why do I have this one more power while you guys don’t?”

“Cause of your grandfather. Let’s just say he wanted to have more powers” chuckled Changjo.

“Your father had two powers too, just like you. Back then when he left you, they were after him cause he was the most powerful and now since he’s missing you’re the one they want. You are the only one who has two powers and you’re the most powerful now among us” explained Changjo.

“O…kay” L.Joe was surprised. “But what if I want to give them my powers?”

“Then you’ll betray us” said Ricky coldly.

“Why do you want to give them your powers?” asked Changjo.

“Cause I can’t take them anymore. I can’t think for myself. There’s only other people’s thought in my head. Do you know how hard it was so realize I liked Niel? I couldn’t think! It’s just too much” sighed L.Joe.

“Oh… well you have to learn how to control your powers and if you want to give them away you won’t get back alive” said Changjo.

L.joe gulped. “H-how do I control them?”

“You can’t learn that in one day” chuckled Ricky. “One step at a time”

L.joe nodded. "Thank you for explaning it to me"