Rewind .

You're Different

(NANA'S POV)

It was 17 years ago. When my daughter was taken away from me. 

"NO! MY BABY! I WANT MY BABY!" I yelled. I held down on the table where I gave birth to her. I only got to hold her once.

"MS. LEE! PLEASE CALM DOWN!" one of the doctors yelled.

"MY BABY! I NEED MY BABY!" I yelled. I started to cry uncontrollably. I was living in a nightmare. "JINYOUNG! YOU WON'T GET AWAY WITH THIS!"

After a couple of hours of yelling and trying to fight the doctors, I calmed down by some medicine they injected into me. I woke up on a hospital bed normally. Jinyoung was sitting next to my bed and look at me with sorrowful eyes.

" YOU!" I yelled at him.

"Nana... Once I'm ready to be a father, I'll get Minri back," Jinyoung said.

"THIS ISN'T YOUR DECISION!"

"She's already on her way to America. I'm sorry," he said.

That was when I lost all hope that I'll ever see Minri again. When I left the hospital, I packed up my things and left Jinyoung without looking back. I went to a store and purchased many cans of beer and started drinking heavily. That was when my alcohol addiction started. Out of anger and complete depression.

Two years passed. I was living with my parents but they kicked me out because they couldn't stand the stench of beer all through the house. I didn't have a job or friend to run to. So I started to sell my body. But let me tell you, it's real dangerous.

"So $100 just for thirty minutes?" a man asked.

"Yup. You give me the cash first and then I'll do what you want," I told him.

He pulled out a knife, "How about for free? You see, I haven't had my wet for so long and I'm sure as hell I won't pay for it!"

I gulped in fear. I didn't know what to do. That was when he showed up.

"Leave her alone, you ungrateful scum," Mark yelled. 

"Oh? Are you here to save this hoe?" He pointed his knife towards Mark, "Looks like you just lost."

Mark laughed, "Do you actually think I'll be stupid enough to roam around this area without something to protect me?" He reached in his pants and pulled out a gun. "Looks like YOU'RE the one who just lost."

"Oh !" the man said. He dropped his knife and ran away.

Mark walked towards me and made sure I wasn't hurt. He took me into his car and started driving. "So tell me why you're selling your body."

"Because I have no job. I need to raise money so I can get myself an apartment," I said.

"You shouldn't sell your body to get money. You'll get a deadly disease like AIDS. And things like what happened earlier will happen. If you continue this and THAT happens again, I won't be there to save you."

"Then I guess I have to buy a gun."

Mark smirked at my comment, "You're a very tough and independent woman. Something tells me you were never like this."

"I wasn't," I lowered my head. 

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I looked out the window, "My child was taken away from me right after I gave birth to her. It was because that , JINYOUNG wasn't ready to be a father." I grounded my teeth together out of anger.

"That wasn't his choice to take your baby away from you. You were the one who took all the pain and risked your life to give birth. Not him," Mark said. His words hit me like a bullet straight through my heart.

"You understand..."

"Of course I do... My child was taken away from me because his mother couldn't live with me," Mark confessed.

"Why was that?"

"Because I chose to always get high with friends. She had a good reason to leave me. She didn't want Namji to become a pothead like me. But in your case, your man is no man. He's a coward and can't hold responsibility for his own child," Mark preached.

"He sent her to two close friends of his to America. There's no way I can get ahold of her ever," I said.

"Hey, where do you live?" he asked.

"The streets of course. I need to save up for a house."

"You can live with me. It's not the best house and neighborhood in the world but it's affordable."

"Really? Are you sure?"

He chuckled, "Yes I'm sure." He looked at me and smiled at me.

A couple after moving into Mark's house, we started dating. Then I got pregnant with Geeyin. Mark was very excited to have his first baby.

"I'm going to have a beautiful baby with my beautiful wife," Mark said.

"W-What..? We aren't married," I told him.

Then he got on one knee and my covered my mouth. "Nana, I have to take responsibility for our beautiful soon-to-be born child. I want to care for you and our baby. Would you marry me?" Mark asked.

I started crying in joy. "YES!" I said. Mark's smile and joy were all so genuine. 

Mark stood up, put the engagement ring on my finger and hugged me. "I love you so much."

"I love you too," I said. 

Then Mark kneeled on the floor and started rubbing my belly. "Hi baby~ I'm your daddy! I'm so excited to raise you. Either your a boy or girl, I'll love you forever," Mark said.

I started laughing. "I know he/she will love you forever also," I told Mark. He smiled and kissed me. I felt I was in a dream. I was so happy.

Then news came to me when I was in labor at the hospital. It was only one day before I was going to give birth to Geeyin.

"Ms. Lee, your fiancé won't be coming to assist you on your birth," Doctor Im said.

"W-WHAT?! I NEED HIM THE MOST RIGHT NOW AND HE CHOOSES TO NOT COME?!" I yelled.

"It wasn't a choice..."

I look at her confused, "What do you mean?"

"Earlier today he came into the hospital. He didn't just casually come into the hospital, but came in on a stretcher."

"So, what are you trying to tell me?"

Doctor Im took a deep breath, "Your fiancé is dead."

I froze. It felt like I was paralyzed. Unknowingly a tear fell from my eye. My heart started to hurt. 

"I'm so sorry," she said.

"H-How did this happen?"

"He was shot from a drive by shooting."

I started crying uncontrollably then I started feeling the baby trying to come out. "THE BABY! IT'S COMING!"

Hours passed and I finally gave birth to Geeyin. When I held her, she looked just like her dad. "You look so beautiful, Geeyin."

When Geeyin was five, that was when I started my old ways again. Drinking alcohol and selling my body. I left Geeyin all alone in the house all day and sometimes all night. Geeyin started leaving the house at age 10. She started getting in trouble and almost went to juvenile.

I slapped her as hard as I can, "WHY DID YOU STEAL WHEN WE HAVE MONEY?!"

"BECAUSE I DON'T WANT YOUR DIRTY MONEY!" she yelled.

"THAT DIRTY MONEY HELPS US TO LIVE! TO HAVE A ROOF OVER OUR HEADS! TO HAVE FOOD ON OUR PLATES! CLOTHES TO WEAR! A BED TO SLEEP IN AT NIGHT! DO YOU WANT THE DIRTY MONEY OR TO LIVE ON THE STREETS CAUSE I'LL BE GLADLY TO LET YOU MOVE OUT AT THE AGE OF 10!" I yelled back. Geeyin became silent. "Living on the streets is hard. That's why I started doing the things I'm doing now."

"Where's daddy?" Geeyin whispered. I hugged her.

"Daddy is dead," I told her truthfully. 

"Figured. He's never here."

"If he was, he would always make time for you. He was so excited to have you. He would always talk to you while you were in my belly. He told you all the things you two would do when you finally came out. He loved you so much," I told her. "And no matter what you do and how I treat you, I will always love you. I can't lose you too."

----------

Took me all night to write this. Hope you like it!