Act 25

1 + 1 = 3

 

 

Seunghyun sip his warm cup of coffee by the veranda, taking a sip at a time. The memory flash by, a moment in the rain that crushes everything, the small world that he built crumbles so easily. He takes a deep breath letting it go. It’s all in the past, he reminded himself.

          “Why did you leave me?” he directed the question without looking at her.

          “Do I have to explain?” she replies with a question.

Seunghyun grab her wrist, “How many time do you have to crush and break me Eunhye, aren’t you satisfied!” he raise his voice.

          “I ask you for a year, no questions ask, and I will not interfere with your life and so does you,” she is not afraid to look at him in the eyes, as much as he glare to her, then he disappointingly let go of her.

Eunhye look into the swirling of her coffee, “It doesn’t really matter anymore” she let the warm coffee linger before gulping it down.

          “Why did you come back Eunhye, you successfully throw me, keeping me away from Nana for years. Why now”

Eunhye ignore his ramble, she continue to drink her coffee in silent, not even caring to look at Seunghyun.

Seunghyun let out a laugh, “What are you really doing Eunhye, making a family for Nana, letting her to be close with me. Giving her the father figure and completing her small family. What going to happen after a year?” he pause and look to her, she seem unbothered. “You’re going to tear the family apart just like that”

          “If I have to, I’m going to do anything even if I have to make her hate you” she gives him the glare. Seunghyun stand so quickly that the chair drop to the floor as he grab her, “Don’t you dare do that!” Eunhye in shock that she drop her mug and luckily it falls on her lap. “Of course, there is much more civilize way to do that, we’ll end it peacefully” she push his hand from her shoulder.

Seunghyun back away from Eunhye, he turns his back from her while holding the anger in. He probably has crossed the line, their promise.

Eunhye let out a sigh, she pick her mug and leave him alone, “see you at dinner”, Eunhye get into the room to change and when she leave their bedroom, Seunghyun make his way inside their bedroom, they walk separate ways.

Eunhye headed downstairs, she stops midway and looks at their shared bedroom. Eunhye wonder for a second but she quickly make her way towards her workroom, completing her task quietly.

Later that evening, he finish working in his office upstairs, he decide to go get something to eat, noticing no one at kitchen, he check on Eunhye in her workroom. Eunhye was sleeping on her worktable. He stares from the door. “Eunhye, you’re too secretive. But you have always been like that, what are you hiding from me?” he walk toward her and he cover her with blanket, Seunghyun decide to sit and stare her, and fall asleep while doing that.

          Eunhye wake up in shock, “Oh no!” she look at Seunghyun wiping his face, seem like he also woken when Eunhye scream.

          “It’s late, I should prepare for dinner, why didn’t you wake me up?”

Seunghyun stand and does some light warm-up, his body hurt from sleeping in sitting position. “You look tired”

Not sure how to reply, she say thanks and quickly goes to the kitchen. Seunghyun clean a bit, wash his face to freshen up and he sit at the counter looking at Eunhye preparing for dinner.

He stand and headed behind the counter, “Hey, let me tie your hair” he does her ponytail as she continue to clean up the vegies, he smile when Eunhye froze as his finger grace her neck when he tying her hair.

          “Thanks” she mumble. Seunghyun continue to help out.

          “Nana coming back late today?” he checks the time.

Eunhye nod, “Yeah, I think so” Eunhye kind of remember that Nana tell her last night about coming late.

          “Kids these days are so busy huh?”

          “Luckily she didn’t follow our footstep, she enjoy studying”

Seunghyun laugh hearing that, “Lucky” they continue to chat about Nana future, Seunghyun doesn’t want her to follow his footstep, he can’t stand looking at other actor kissing his daughter, while bickering they decide whatever Nana want to do, they will support her.

They finally finish preparing, “Should I call Nana and ask if she already on the way home, so we can eat dinner together?”

Seunghyun agree and quickly dialed his daughter, but strangely they heard a ringtone nearby. They look at each other.

          “Nana schoolbag” Eunhye take out her phone. Nana bag was in the hallway by the door.

Seunghyun face whiten, “Hey, did she forget her bag this morning”, Eunhye shake her head, she definitely remember Nana was wearing her bag.

          “Did… did she heard us talking”

Eunhye shake her head repeatedly, “I don’t know…        I don’t know” Eunhye ran to Nana bedroom, both of them check the room, the backyard and front yard, but there is no sign of Nana.

          “I’m going to Nana school and will look around there” Seunghyun quickly grab his stuff and the car key, “Call Moon Ssem, inform me if you know anything” he rush outside.

Eunhye frantically calling Moon Ssem and Nana friend but no one answer her call, she stumble with her car key but she manage to drove to Lizzy house.

          “She already leaves early today, she said she is not feeling well” Lizzy told Eunhye, “is she okay, do you need help Nana Eomma”

Eunhye pat Lizzy hair, “It’s okay, thanks dear, I’ll call you if I need anything”, she tries not to let Lizzy be worried.

Lizzy nod her head, “I will call our classmate and ask”, Eunhye smile and she quickly headed back to her car, and then she had a call from Moon Shiyoung.

          “Ssem, is Nana with you?” she ask without saying hello.

          “No, I sent her earlier, and see that she went inside before I head back, did something happen”, Eunhye gaps in shock and worried, her mind jumble into haywire.

          “Ssem, I got another call I need to answer, I’ll call you back later” she hang-up and answer Seunghyun whose waiting on the line.

          “Oppa, she’s not with her friends, Ssem called and she said Nana was sent home earlier, Oppa….”. Eunhye gaps for air, she already cried her eye out.

          “Nana is smart, she won’t do anything reckless. Okay… okay, it’s okay”, Seunghyun keep repeating his word like a chant. “Take a breath, calm down”, he won’t be able to think properly if they didn’t calm down.

          “First lets regroup, wait for me to come back home, I’ll be back soon”, Seunghyun assured her.

Eunhye take a long deep breath and let it go slowly, “Okay” she put her phone down, while she was driving back, it’s raining. She tries to calm herself, “Nana is okay, even if she heard us…”, she doesn’t really know how can she fix that, but what matters now that Nana is found, she needed to find her.

 

She remembers that recently they like to walk at the park near their resident, and deep inside the park there is a pond and a gazebo. The rain suddenly started pouring like crazy, there are thunder and lightning shining her way towards the gazebo, she runs not caring about anything else, she falls once when she slide on a foliage, but she quickly regain her posture and continue running. She was already drenched but she can see the gazebo, she light up hoping that Nana was there.

          “Nana!”, she saw Nana crunching down on the floor while she cover her ear.

Nana notice her and she quickly run towards her, “Eomma, I’m sorry” she is crying in her embrace.

Eunhye try to catch on her breath, “Are you okay”

          “Eomma, I’m sorry, I was thinking and when I notice its already raining and there lightning and thunder and…and its getting dark”

          “You’re okay, thank goodness” she pat her back to calm her down, Nana was trembling.

          “Eomma, let’s stay with Appa okay, let’s not separate”, she tell her quickly of what she decided.

Eunhye take a good look at her daughter, her eyes were puffy from crying, her body was trembling too, “Okay”, Eunhye answer he with a smile, she hold Nana cheeks lightly but she suddenly lost her conscious. “Eomma!!” she heard Nana faint shriek.

 

I’m sorry Nana.