Act 13

1 + 1 = 3

 

It’s the last day of school, tomorrow the summer holidays will start, Eunhye put her head down on the table, she try to doze off but her classmate chats disturb her.

                “Yah! Get home already!” Eunhye scream shock them, feeling irritated they quicken and started leaving the class. Eunhye the oddball, she never talk to anyone in class, she glare anyone trying to be friendly with her and sometime she yells when they annoyed her and at last they just decided to outcast her and Eunhye accept it happily.

Eunhye rest her head back on the table, the sound of insect singing slowly taking Eunhye to dreamland.

Two young man walk to Eunhye class, they are average in height but they are definitely not your ordinary middle school student, they are the passionate hip hop warrior and their walk are full of swag.

                “Eunhye-ah” Jiyong come into the class from the back door noticing Eunhye still in her seat, head down on the table too.

Jiyong sit on the table beside Eunhye table and Youngbae sit on the chair in front of hers.

                “Eunhye” Youngbae call her again.

No reaction what so ever.

                “She’s sleeping right?” Jiyong make a guess.

Youngbae brush her bangs, those eyes are close shut and he hears her snoring lightly.

                “Our little girl are sleeping” Youngbae smirk at the end of his word.

Jiyong shake his head, “Eunhye-ah” he shakes her body.

Eunhye startled and quickly wake up, “Yah! Leave me alone!” she yells.

                “Oi there, sleepyhead” Youngbae pinch her cheeks.

Eunhye blinks her eye, seeing the two guy with her a cheeky smile appears, “Its hurt Youngbae-ah, let me go”

                “Let’s go home” Jiyong jump down from the table, the other slowly follows as they walk to the back gate, while they were talking about their summer vacation plan, Eunhye stop by the gate and she look back at the stairs as she was hoping to catch a glimpse of Seunghyun, it’s been awhile since they meet and the last time Seunghyun warn her to stay away from him.

                “Eunhye!” the boys notice Eunhye still stand inside the school.

She heard them, and quickly she run out from the gate and join her friends.

They promise to meet in a week after the boys finish their summer classes, Eunhye wave her hand as they take separate ways to their home.

 

                 Eunhye slows her step, she opens the gate and climbs the stair, the garden greets her happily and the summer flowers are shining so brightly with vibrant colour. The gardener really takes good care of the garden. She feels irritated and sick to look at the garden and quickly she walks inside.

                “Eunhye, come here” her auntie call her from the living room, she come back down from the stair and walk straight to living room.

                “Yes Auntie”

She examines Eunhye from her hair to her foot, “Try that on” she point the dress lying on the coffee table. Eunhye grab the black mini dress and quickly she go into one of the room downstairs and change into it.

                “Perfect, the dress fit you perfectly and they won’t say that we hit you. Aren’t they insane, who would dare to lay a finger on the heir of Yoon Fashion and Textile?” she look at Eunhye, “We’ve been taking such good care of her, look at her growing up blooming fit like a princess, aren’t her” she look at Eunhye, waiting for her answer and Eunhye quickly nod her head.

                “Auntie, can I have your permission to go out with my friends this summer holiday” Eunhye check for her expression and she’s not glaring to Eunhye as she use too.

                “I’ll think about it later”

                “O-okay”

                “This is all because of you, be grateful that we are taking care of you, it’s all your fault that we have to use our hand to teach you”

Eunhye stand still quietly, she stare at her feet while thinking if she could just be buried down deep into earth.

                “What are you doing sitting there, Hurry up and go change and I don’t want you to spoil the dress”

Eunhye ran back and change back into her school uniform. She hangs the dress and she quickly feel like she wanted to vomit, as much as like the beautiful garden covering all the things happening inside the house, the dress in like a cover for her too.

                “Quickly and prepare for tea” she order her around as she likes.

                “Okay, I’ll be down right after I change” Eunhye run to her room.

Before going to bed, Eunhye apply the healing cream on her body it’s quicken the skin repairing. You won’t notice any bruise on her skin now, it work likes magic. Eunhye look at the mirror, she has to look perfect for the event.

 

                  Every summer and winter the Yoon Family Corporation would hold a dinner, they brag about their achievement, showing what they got and a perfect time for the young’s to mingle too. Eunhye follow around and show good attitude but as she grow older she learn more things.

Eunhye check her appearance, the black mini dress hug her tiny body and she got a new haircut, a bob cut. The black dress emphasis the diamond necklace she’s wearing. All eye fall on her as she walk inside the ballroom.

Eunhye excuse herself politely, she take some food and chat when they approach keeping it short and simple and not to be rude to them and quickly she move to other place, she manage to slip to the washroom when she cannot hold it anymore.

                “Don’t you see her flirting with the boys? She’s so full of herself”

Eunhye heard a group of girl chattering in the washroom.

                “She’s not that pretty compare to you”

                “Of course, just because she’s the heir of that big companies everyone trying to be nice with her”

Eunhye snicker, are they talking about her. She’s just a mere doll that will be thrown out when she’s not needed, is it to be jealous off?

Eunhye slam the door open, they shut their mouth quietly.

                “Oh, you’re in there?” the girl with the red dress asks her.

Eunhye look at her with a smile, she wash her hand and leave the washroom.

                “Did she know we’re talking about her?”

Eunhye sigh, they don’t know a single thing about her except for what they wanted to show them. Eunhye quickly change her gloomy look, she smile as she make hey way to the ballroom. She grabs a glass of fruit punch and makes herself belong in the event.

Eunhye notice the girl that badmouthed her earlier, an evil grind appears. She should teach the girl not play with her reputation and Eunhye is not someone you want to mess up with. Smoothly she make her way near her, she’s busy talking with one good looking man.

Eunhye trip on her high heels, she grab onto the good looking man and the water in her glass flush the girl in red dress.

                “Oh my, I’m so sorry” Eunhye smile lovingly to the guy.

                “It’s okay, are you okay?” he asks and forgetting the red dress girl he’s talking with earlier and he still grab onto Eunhye waist.

                “Yah!” the girl in the red dress scream in annoyance.

                “I’m so sorry” Eunhye quickly move next to her and help her to clean up.

                “You…”

 

Eunhye snicker to her and she whisper, “Don’t mess with me”

The girl wanted to slap on Eunhye but her mother quickly hold onto her arm.

                “I’m so sorry Eunhye-shi, forgive my daughter. She’s not feeling well”

She’s smiling with the hint of victory in it, “No, it’s my fault anyway”

                “Hurry up and say sorry to her” her mother pinch the girl in red dress.

They quickly leave the ballroom and now all eyes are on Eunhye again, she froze in awkward. The music started playing and one man quickly comes forward to Eunhye.

                “May I have the honour?” he asks and extent his hand towards Eunhye.

She knows him, she grab hold and they started dancing when its end both of them walks to the balcony for some fresh air.

Eunhye look around, she wonders if there is really any honest relationship. It’s all business matter in the eye of the older. After all they were all just kids, at time they would rebel too. She look at the young man standing next to him, he’s the second heir of Yoon Fashion and Textile if anything happen to her uncle, his family would be the head of the company

                “Everyone pretending”

Yoon Kye Sang catch her word. “And you too”

Eunhye give him the famous death glare, Kye Sang gotten used to it, he replays with a sly smirk.

Yoon Kye Sang, there is some time that blood ties doesn’t meant that you’re a family. When she was seven, she told him that she got beat by her uncle, but Kye Sang give her the disbelieved look and people around talk that she’s such a liar for a little kid. Since then Eunhye doesn’t believe anyone and she stop talking about her getting abuse.

 Eunhye just wish someday when she’s older enough she would run far away. Haven’t she try to run from home before, of cause she did, but in no time they find her and she get beaten really badly and she been threaten to clean her act or thing would be worse.

Eunhye is scared, time flies and she let things happens. She’s numb.

 

                 Eunhye granted the permission for a summer vacation with her friend, on the day they promise Eunhye waited for them at the train station.

                “Is that you Eunhye?” Youngbae approach her.

Eunhye beam a bright smile, “Youngbae!” she giggles.

                “Our girl is all out for the vacation,” Jiyong let out a cheeky smile.

                “This might be our last summer vacation together, so yes! I’ll enjoy myself to the fullest”

Jiyong wrap his arm around Eunhye shoulder, “Well, who knows” he smile and they walk to their waiting platform.

Youngbae fall asleep after they had their breakfast. Jiyong ruffle her short blonde dyed hair.

                “Do I look good?” she ask

Jiyong smirked, “Who are you trying to impress?”

Eunhye let out a small smile, “No one in particular”

                “You’re perfect the way you are” Jiyong wink and a cheeky smile form.

Eunhye elbow his stomach lightly. Jiyong growl then they laughs together.

Eunhye feast her eye with the scenery outside while Jiyong soon fall asleep with Eunhye hand in his. Eunhye look at the two of them, falling asleep so peacefully. They are the reason that life seem easier for Eunhye, when Eunhye with them she step into another world where she can be free. She is just Eunhye in their eye, no more or less.

Finally they reach, Eunhye still half asleep get drag by her friends, as they were walking out from the train station, and someone was waving hand at them. Eunhye notice the big built anywhere, she slap away the sleepiness and beam a happy smile to him. Youngbae and Jiyong who notice her change smile in exchange.

                “Yo Hyung, thanks for picking us up” Jiyong slap his hand with Seunghyun, the bigger young man let out a smile.

Seunghyun is helping out his distant relative in their guest house for the summer vacation. After they settle in their things in their room, the trio races to the nearest beach to play in the sea and enjoying the event by the beach.

The moon is high in the sky, the beach is still alive with the music blaring from the big speakers. Jiyong, Youngbae and Eunhye slip away from the crowd after hours of enjoyment.

They listen to the music from far away, relaxing their body while enjoying their cold drinks. The slow breeze from the sea cold down their sweaty body, slowly their head follow the sway with the rhythm of music, A little bit later they when back to the guest house.

Seunghyun greeted them at the front door, “You guys have a good time?”

The trio nod their head, Eunhye beam out a happy smile.

                “You guys must be tired, sleep well… I see you guys tomorrow”

                “Yeah, good night Hyung” Jiyong drag himself to his room, Youngbae follows. Eunhye stand there silently staring to Seunghyun.

                “Why?” he ask as he put on his slippers.

Eunhye blush and she quickly shake her head, “Nothing, goodnight!” she dash of to her room. Seunghyun smile as he look at her, and he quickly get his work done.

Eunhye is laying on her back, she close her face with the blanket. It’s so not like her to be that embarrassed in front of Seunghyun.

 

Early that morning, before the sun rise, the four of them wait by the beach to watch the sunrise, as the sun rise, the crimson colour evade the sky. Eunhye close her eye and quietly make a wish, a smile form as she look to the three young men standing side by side with her, she wanted it to stay like that forever.

                “Eunhye-ah, let’s go!” Jiyong run to the sea as he pull Eunhye with her, Youngbae grab her and the last thing she know that she’s in the water, the duo were laughing out loud, Eunhye couldn’t help but she helplessly laugh with them as she throw the water to them.

Later that night the four of them spend some time at the amusement park, from the terrifying roller coaster to the lovey dovey love boat, they tried it all.

                “That’s the Haunted House, let’s go!” Jiyong notice the scary place from afar, it’s situated far from the other.

Eunhye felt like she’s been drag by Jiyong, she wonder how can she save herself from this. The thrilling and heart jumping rides doesn’t scare her, but… ghost… well she had second thought. Jiyong smile showing his white teeth, “you’re not afraid right?” he asks.

                “N-no, I’m not, this is Yoon Eunhye” she forces a laugh out.

Jiyong laugh, “Of course you’re, fearless Eunhye” he pat her back.

                “Yeah” Eunhye nod, well… she is not afraid of lots of things, but ghost would be on her scary list.

Jiyong and Youngbae exchange glance and smile as they were reaching their turn. “I’m going with Yongbae!”  Jiyong push Eunhye toward Seunghyun.

                “W-wait”

Jiyong wink and quickly the both of them dash into the haunted house.

                “Well, you’re stuck with me” Seunghyun smile.

Eunhye smile back, “I guess so” quietly both of them enter.

Eunhye follow Seunghyun quietly, she cover from making any sound, she flinch at every sound she heard, looking at Seunghyun back walking quickly leaving her, or does she walk to slowly. She wanted to scream for him to wait for her, and finally she loses it when she feels someone or something touching her shoulder.

                “Arghhhh!!!” she screams at the top of her lungs. She feels the hand wrapping her body, Eunhye struggle to be free, “Let me go, let me go!”

                “It’s me, Seunghyun, Seunghyun” he repeated and then Eunhye cry, “Why did you leave me”

Seunghyun manage to smile, “I’m sorry, can you stand?”

Slowly Eunhye stand on her feet, not letting go of Seunghyun hand.

                “Don’t let go of me, let’s get out of here quickly, okay” Seunghyun hold her close to him. Finally they manage to step out from the place with Eunhye screams manage to make Seunghyun flinch several time.

                “There you are, what taking you so long?” Youngbae ask as soon as he sees them from the exit.

Seunghyun laugh he finally let go of Eunhye, Eunhye was sulking, and she glare at both of her friend.

                “You cried?” Jiyong ask when she notices her teary eye.

Eunhye stomp away, leaving the three of them, Jiyong run following her while the other follow slowly.

                “You’re afraid of ghost right?”

                “No”

                “Yes you are, come on admit it”

                “Shut up Jiyong!”

Jiyong pinch both of her cheek, “You’re crying”

And the tears flow again, she is scared to death and it’s all Jiyong fault.

                “I’m sorry, sorry… I won’t do it again” Jiyong wipe her tears.

                “I don’t like showing my weak side”

Jiyong let out a sigh and he smile, Yongbae smile to him too.

                “It’s okay Eunhye-ah and you’re our girl, our friend… is okay to show any side of you”

Youngbae pat her back lightly, “Okay, come on let go Seunghyun Hyung going to buy us ice-cream”

Hearing the word, “Call” Eunhye and Jiyong quickly agree.

Seunghyun laugh, “I got my pay, so okay… it’s my treat!”

                “Assa!”

 

On the last day of their vacation, the four of them walk around the city sightseeing and some shopping to do, Eunhye enter the accessories shop, she try some hat and she pick out some for her friend too, Seunghyun join her while she was trying on some rings.

                “It’s nice” Seunghyun commented.

                “It’s a couple ring” Eunhye put it back and she pick another ring and she quickly paid it, “The guys are waiting in the café across the street, I’ll go first”

                “Okay, I’ll be quick” Seunghyun smile looking at the rings, he fancy some of it and after a quick pick he dash to the café.

 

               At night after another hour of music eargasm, the festival ended with a fireworks show and they were sitting on the beach far from other people enjoying it.

                “Hey” Eunhye look to Seunghyun sitting on by her side, Seunghyun show the sign that he can’t hear her.

                “Is it okay?” she whisper to his ear, Seunghyun seem taken back her action.

                “What?” he mouthed out the word.

                “I’m talking to you again” she whispers again. Seunghyun replay with a nod.

                “I’m seeing you again” she added. Seunghyun nod again.

Eunhye smile and she kisses his cheek quickly, Seunghyun smile and he slip her hair before he whisper a word to her, “That’s more like Eunhye” the bold and blunt Eunhye, do whatever she like when she want too.

Eunhye look away, hiding her face from Seunghyun, she pat her cheeks repeatedly. Why did she blush so furiously?  Seunghyun can’t hide his smile, he watch her cute action… that Yoon Eunhye for you, a girl with many charm.

 

                The three of them travel back to Seoul after the short vacation they had, Jiyong and Youngbae continue their rehearsal in YG, they are still young and someday the chance will come and they will debut too.

                “Hey Yong” Youngbae pass him a cold water bottle.

He raises one of his eyebrows and takes the bottle from him

                “I thought that you like Eunhye?”

Jiyong gulp down the cold water, he wipe the sweat. “Not in that way, and look… she love Seunghyun to much, you can see right?”

                “Yeah, you’re right… and we are such good friend so it’s better stay that way”

Jiyong nod his head agreeing to Youngbae words. “Yes, let it stay that way” Jiyong stand and continue to practice the dance, he check his move at the mirror. Some things are better left unspoken, Jiyong thought.

 

                Time change quickly when they don’t notice, the year is ending soon. It’s their last year in middle school, Jiyong and Youngbae trying out from a high school in the town it’s easier for them to commute to the company. Eunhye is fine to go to the high school next door, where Seunghyun attend.

Eunhye sit alone under the cherry blossom tree, she finally graduated from the middle school and she barely passes the mark to enter high school.

                “Hey, where is the other?” Seunghyun come after the class ended, the four of them decided to spend the afternoon together for one last time, after this it would be hard for them to hang out.

                “Saying goodbye” Eunhye smile, she offers him to sit beside her.

Seunghyun take out a black box from his backpack, “Well, this might not be the most perfect time, still…” he opened the box and Eunhye look at the content, a pair of ring… and it’s resemble a ring that she try before. Eunhye is speechless, she look at Seunghyun with blank expression.

                “I think that I like you more than I thought I would, I miss you more than I want to and I enjoy having you by my side a lot more that I would have… so” he take out one of the ring and he put the box aside, Seunghyun take her hand and he put the rings on her finger. Eunhye can’t take her eye from him.

                “Be mine” Seunghyun smile looking at the dumb look on her face. Her expression change a little bit late, she finally come to reality that Seunghyun is confessing to her, her cheeks redden.

                “I’m blushing hard right now”

Seunghyun laugh, Eunhye cover her face with her hand. He can’t help but to ruffle her short hair and without saying anything he kiss her hand.

                “You’re t-too much” Eunhye shake with embarrassment.            

                “And you’re blunt, bold, no manner, boyish, strong…” before he could finish his sentence Eunhye smack his arm hard.

                “Yah!” Eunhye scream, what is Seunghyun doing is he confessing or attacking her.

Seunghyun rub his arm, yes… Eunhye is strong, he make a mental note “and loud and very annoying…” Eunhye wanted to give him a piece of her mind but Seunghyun catch her hand quickly.

He looks straight to her eye, “But I’ll cope with all that because you’re mine”

 

                “When are we going?” Youngbae startled the couple, Youngbae smile cheekily to both of them. Seunghyun and Eunhye quickly follow their footsteps leaving the school grounds.

The four of them spend another day together, making memory… something to remember for the rest of their life and a photo is taken to be a proof of the event, Eunhye jolt down the date on the back of the picture. The guys are smiling to her and she smile back… yes… this is one happy day for Yoon Eunhye.

 

 

Eunhye hear a knock on her table, “Earth calling Eunhye, please respond” Jang Nara take a seat.

                “Coming back,” Eunhye giggle.

                “You haven’t move an inch, you don’t even turn a page since hours ago”

 

Eunhye look at her finger, the ring that Seunghyun gave her never leave her finger, she smile looking at Nara.

“Walking down the memory lane?” Nara ask

Eunhye nod lightly and she look back at the booklet they made for the summer collection, “the fashion show is a success, now I can take a little rest”

                “Yeah, thank you for your hard work, better prepare for fall collection too”

                “Don’t worry and I’ll manage till winter collection too” Eunhye close the booklet with satisfied look on her face.

                “Want to go to New York this weekend?”

Eunhye shake her head, “Good luck in getting inspired Nara Unnie, you know I can’t”

                “That’s why fashion designer doesn’t get married to early” Nara laugh.

Eunhye laugh too, she touch the ring on her finger, things might have been better without it, but she won’t change it for anything.

Eunhye step in inside the elevator, Yoon Kye Sang greeted her.

                “Good job”

                “Of course, what did you expect from Yoon Eunhye?”

                “Only the best, well… let’s have dinner together”

Eunhye look at the tall man standing beside her, he look back at her with a warm smile.

                “Would no, thank you… be an okay answer?”

                “Of course not”

The elevator door open, Eunhye take another look at him.

                “Yeah, let’s have dinner together”

Yoon Kye Sang taken back a little by her answer, before this Eunhye rather dies than having to spend time with him.

                “We’re not going?” Eunhye ask when he stand still without an answer.

                “Come on, let’s go”

Eunhye smile, sometimes when you look at a person for what he or she really is… you’ll see wonderful things.

 

                He can take a morning flight tomorrow, but he was too eager to be back to Korea that night.

                “Sajangnim wanted to see you first when you arrive in Korea” Seunghyun manager inform him.

                “Can’t we do it like tomorrow?”

                “No can’t do, he knows that you have landed”

Seunghyun sigh, he gave up, “Okay, take me to YG building”

His body and soul are exhausted, he wanted to be home… he wanted to hug his cute daughter and have some of Eunhye food, he grow fond of Eunhye cooking, but better not to challenge your boss.

They were exchanging look for a while, none of them mutter a word, Seunghyun try to read his expression, but the poker face doesn’t show anything.

                “Both of us are men TOP-ah and we’re getting older by the years”

Seunghyun nod, assuring him that he is listening.

                “I know that you finish your army duty, Big Bang is a big success and a legend too, you’re a good actor and you’re old enough to be married if you want too”

Seunghyun nod again.

                “But still, what I don’t like the most are scandal, it can ruin everything that you built in a blink of an eye”

Seunghyun notice the seriousness in his voice,

Yang Hyun Suk take out and laid several photo on the table, now what he said make more sense for Seunghyun.

A photo of Seunghyun going out with Eunhye and Nana in the mall and several picture of him driving them.

 

                   Seunghyun sigh, he takes a deep breath and let it out heavily. He knows that this day will come but he don’t think it would be this quick.

Seunghyun look at him straight in the eye,          

                   “Sajangnim…”