Act 11

1 + 1 = 3

           

           “Eomma” Nana wake without her mother by her side, it’s not that she never sleep on her own, but for awhile her mother has been together with her, she get use getting babied by her mother.

There is no sound from the bathroom, so Nana decided to go look for her mother outside.

            “Eomma” she called for her. There is no replay. The home is quite in the morning. She walk to the kitchen, “Eomma, are you there?”

Nana look around, “Eomma not here” the kitchen feel cool. Nana takes the chair because the counter is far from her reach, she help to prepare the hot water. She filled the heater with water then turn on the switch.

There is no one at the living room too, she wonders if she can go upstairs. Slowly she climbs upstairs.

            “Good morning Appa” she knocks on the door a few times. Nana has become the alarm for Seunghyun since her mother had been asking to wake up her father. First she has been hesitant but now she gotten use to it.

The door is unlock, Seunghyun open the door, “Morning Nana, Eomma is inside” he open the door.

            “Oh… Nana wonders where Eomma is”

            “Let her sleep, she overwork herself last night” Seunghyun close the door and then the father and daughter walk downstairs.

            “Nana go and clean up first, I’ll make something for breakfast” Seunghyun push her to her bedroom.

            “Can Appa make it?”

Seunghyun laugh, “Don’t underestimate your Appa dear, I’ll make something”

‘Well, I’ll try and make something work’ Seunghyun thought to himself.

Seunghyun wonder looking in the fridge, “Something easy, easy, easy” he take some egg and sausage, “Well scramble egg and sausage is it”

It’s like war in the kitchen, Seunghyun nearly burn the food he makes, but he manages to finish it anyway.

He giggles with a wicked face, “How wills this taste” he bravely serve in on the table.

            “At least the juice will taste good”

The father and daughter finally sit for their breakfast.

            “Nana, let’s start eating”

Seunghyun look at her nervously as she started to taste the food her prepared.

Nana catch her father looking as she munch on her food, “Appa, its a little burn”

            “Sorry, don’t eat the burn part” and he move forward to push a scrap away the burn part.

Nana giggle, “Its okay Appa, the first food you made for me and I’m thankful. I’ll eat it” she smiles widely to her father.

Seunghyun smile back unknowingly, so this is the feeling of having family of your own. Everything she does calm him down.

After their short breakfast, Nana helps her father to clean up the messy kitchen.

Seunghyun take another cup of coffee to the living room, he concentrate to the news on the paper. Nana come out from the bedroom with a few books in hand, she sit on the floor while looking at some of the book.

Seunghyun peek from the paper, looking at Nana focusing on a book, he smile again. He folded the paper back and put it aside. He notices the sketch book among the books.

            “Nana, can I look at this?” he grabs and shows the sketch book to her.

Nana look for a second, “Yes Appa, you can”

Seunghyun open the cover of the sketch book, the first drawing are Eunhye holding a baby. He froze in his seat. His finger runs on the drawing. Eunhye is very young at that time, when she had Nana. The original photo is clipped at the back, he take the picture and look at it closely.

He read the writing under the photo, “The day you’re born” he look at Nana. It’s been a long time, from a little baby she has grown up.

He flip the paper, looking at other drawing, much of them are scenery.

            “Nana, do you like it here. Living here” he asks out of the blue.

Nana stop reading the word on her book, without much thought she answer in instant, “I don’t like it”

            “I can’t even play outside” Nana told him.

Seunghyun look around and for 9 years old, there is nothing to play with in the house and his toy collection won’t be much help either.

            “Tell me how it before… the place where you live with Eomma”

Nana smile to him, “Wait a minute Appa” she run to the room and come out soon too. She shown him the photo album, “This is Nana, Eomma, Halmeoni and Harabeoji” it’s a photo of them taken after Nana kindergarten graduation.

Nana show him the photo taken around their village, it’s a place far from the town surrounded by nature. This is where Nana grown up.

Nana point to the picture, “Eomma in her workroom, Eomma will spend most of her time here, drawing, sewing and sometime sleeping too”

Nana keeps on talking and telling her father everything about the picture.

            “Nana, you don’t talk about your friends” he notice Nana doesn’t tell a word about her school life.

            “I’m not close to anyone” Nana close the album

Without saying anything more Nana takes the photo album to the bedroom, she put it away in one of the drawer.

Since Halmeoni and Harabeoji pass away, the villagers started to gossip about them. Her friends ignore her, saying that her mother a because she bears a child without a father. Nana doesn’t really understand it at first because she’s 7 years old that time.

Nana wipe the tears that stream down from her eye, being secluded by her friends really hurt her feeling. But, now she’s starting over and she had a person to called Appa.

Nana smile and clean her face before going out from the bedroom.

            “Nana, you don’t have stomach-ache right?” Seunghyun rush down from his room, his going out soon.

            “No Appa, I’m okay” Nana smile.

Seunghyun smile back, “Appa going to work, maybe I’ll be late” he kisses her on the head.

            “I’ll be going” he stands at the door. Another pat on Nana head before he leave the house.

Did Appa kiss my head, Nana touch her head in confusion. She ended smiling to herself. Nana takes her step upstairs. She opens the balcony door. The chilling breeze rushes in, but the sunlight hit her skin make her feel a little bit of warmness.

Nana end up climbing on Seunghyun bed, she check on her mother, she put her hand on Eunhye forehead, “Not hot” she mumble. Seunghyun bed feels cosy and before she know it she fall asleep too.

Half an hour after that Eunhye open her eye lightly. She gets out from the bed and ties her hair into a bun. She feels glad that she not wakens with Seunghyun by her side, because things might be awkward.

Eunhye kisses her daughter, “Morning, morning, morning”

            “Eomma” she pushes her away. Eunhye giggle happily and attack her with kisses.

            “Its not even morning Eomma” Nana pucker her cute lips.

Eunhye laugh as she checks the time, “Ah! I overslept!” it nearing 2 pm.

            “Sorry. Sorry” Eunhye pull her daughter up and out from the bed. Nana helps to make Seunghyun bed and when Eunhye is satisfies they finally leave the room.

It’s finally the first day of school, Seunghyun drive both of them to school.

            “Be well dear” Eunhye kiss her daughter.

            “Make friends okay” Seunghyun reminded her and he kisses her head.

            “Okay” Nana kisses them back. She jumps out from the car.

            “Is it okay to go alone?” Eunhye ask again.

            “Yes Eomma, I’ll be fine. I’ll see you later” she quickly runs away into the school.

Eunhye and Seunghyun exchange glance.

            “She’ll be fine, let’s go” Seunghyun close the window on Eunhye side.

            “Yes, okay” Eunhye turn her attention to the road, they were driving quietly. Seunghyun turn once in a while to check on her. They have been acting silent when Nana is not around looking at them.

Seunghyun sigh out, he continue to drive safely home.

            Nana looks around, looking for an empty seat in the class where few are still vacant, so she picks the seat at the front. The others are looking at her curiously and start whispering.

She let her long black hair cover her face while she listens for the music through the earphone. No one dare to greet her then they leave to the morning assembly.

            “Hey!” someone pat her shoulder. Nana takes out her earphone.

            “Why?” she ask to the girl standing in front of her.

            “My name is Rania” she smiles and her cheek turn chubbier, “Nice to meet you”

A girl come running into the class, she throw her bag on the table. “Yah Rania. Hurry up! We’re going to be late for the first assembly!” she run to get Rania, and then she notice the long black hair girl.

            “Oh! Are you new? My name Lizzy! Come! Let’s go!” she laughs as she drags both Nana and Rania to the building next door.

The three of them are standing at the end of the row.

            “Phew! We made it” Lizzy wipe the sweat on her forehead.

            “You’re late” Rania say to her while looking all mad.

            “Almost Rania, almost… there are different” she fan with her hand.

            “Barely”

            “Hey! Both of you be quiet” a teacher come and hit the book on Lizzy head.

            “Ouch! But, she also…” Lizzy point to Rania, but she ignore and focus her gaze to the front.

The teacher walks away.

            “Rania, you’re so dead!” Lizzy glare a laser at Rania.

Nana find both of them funny and she laugh. Rania and Lizzy try to stop her from laughing.

            “Hey! Be quiet, we are going to be yell” Lizzy try to cover Nana mouth.

            “The three of you, principal office after this” the teacher come back and told on them. Finally they stand still and focus with the principal talks.

            “By the way, what is your name?” Rania turn her head and whisper to her, but it’s loud enough to be heard by Lizzy.

            “It’s Nana” she tells both of them.

The three of them giggle silently, for some reason they feel that they can be great friends.

            Seunghyun come back home again after going out for awhile, while they were having lunch silently, Seunghyun keep on checking the expression on Eunhye face.

            “What are you looking at? the food is not to your taste?” Eunhye ask coldly without looking at him.

            “No, its okay” he stop talking and then he continue, “I need to talk about something”

Eunhye finally turn to see his face, “After this, finish the food first” then she continues to finish her food.

They move to the balcony, sitting at the sofa facing each other. Seunghyun put a car key on the table. “This is the car key. I don’t think I can fetch Nana everyday”

Eunhye look at the car key and Seunghyun face back and forth, “Okay I understand, but once in a while please spend some times for Nana”

            “Yeah, I’ve made my promise right, I’ll keep it”

Like stranger they fall back into silent, Eunhye doesn’t look at Seunghyun again.

            “Eunhye, is there something bothering you” He can’t help it, he had to ask.

Eunhye shake her head.

            “Help me here would you Eunhye. You’re the one asking for my help and what now, why are you making this harder for me?”

            “What do you mean and it’s better for us to be like this right? You don’t even like me, and why are you making it harder for both of us”

Seunghyun look at her with disbelieve in his eye, “Come here” he pull her away from the balcony because they cannot fight there so openly, people might notice.

            “Let me go” she tries to pull away from Seunghyun grip.

He give her the stare, Eunhye pause her movement.

            “Please, I won’t know if you don’t tell and it can’t work while you’re behaving like this” he says softly, as if his whispering to her.

            “That woman… you’re girl… girlfriend” she hesitant with her word. She grabs the end of his sweeter.

            “Are you serious about her” she wanted to kick herself for boldly asking that question.

            “Why do you want to know?” he smiles playfully, the stare soften.

Eunhye quickly fall into panic, what should she answer him? She doesn’t like the fact that he had someone in his life now. Then what? She wanted to be the only one in his life? Ah! No!

            “Eunhye, don’t bother about my personal life. I’ll keep my promises if that you’re worried sick about. I’ll make the family for Nana”

Eunhye stare back into his eye, “Okay, I’ll keep your words” she let go of her hold and quickly make a dash to the stairs.

The tears fall slowly as she escape down the stairs, without turning back to see Seunghyun, she get into the bedroom and lock the door then she fall on the carpeted floor and the tears burst out heavily.

She was silly to be hoping for something else. For wanting something more, she has been crazy about him since the first time she see him. The ten years distances don’t make the memory or feeling fade away, because she was pretty much crazy in love for the man, for Choi Seunghyun.

            “I’m so stupid” she said between her sobs. “Please make it stop” she rubs her eye trying to stop the overflowing tears from falling.

            “It’s… not… fair” and she cries some more.