VI

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Birds chirping.

Warm sunlight.

The cool, morning breeze.

And the dews on the leaves outside her room.

A perfect yet typical morning for Minjee. Her eyes were still slightly heavy but she had to rise up for some reason. After fixing her hair into a neat ponytail, Minjee was sent running to the kitchen, just to see how empty the room was. She blinked and crossed her arms, looking into a particular room in front of her. Hesitating no more, she hurried and ran there, turning the doorknob and opening the door carefully. A lump under the olive green blanket was seen and the curtains were all closed. Minjee smiled and walked towards the bed, carefully and silently sneaking in before she removes the blanket.

Underneath was her innocent-looking older brother, peacefully traveling in his own dreamland. She smiled on how different her brother looked in his slumber. He was so defenless that when she sends either a kick or a punch, she knows her brother would be too sleepy to even return the attack. So, instead of the typical shouting and hitting, Minjee headed to the curtains and opened them, sending her once sleeping brother, jolting up once the light entered his room.

"Kang Minjee! What's wrong with you?!" Haewon cried in annoyance as he clad himself with his blanket, head to toe.

"Oh, come on! It's morning, get your lazy up!" Minjee sighed, tucking her hair behind her ears and heading back to Haewon's bed. She shook her brother gently and when he refused to get up, Minjee forcefully removed the blanket and made Haewon flinch and curl up into a fetus position. She mentally squealed by the cuteness her brother gained but annoyance as well when he refused to get up. "Lim Haewon, get your off the bed already!"

"You're not mom." he mumbled.

"Mom or not, I am the lady in the house and I say, get up!"

"Lady? Oh, I'm sorry, I see you as nothing but a kid." Haewon teased, opening his left eye slightly. Minjee flinched and finally, literally pulled her brother out of the bed, making them fall down on the floor together. "Ouch! I was just joking!" Haewon whined.

"Your fault, idiot." Minjee winked and headed to the kitchen. "Oppa! I'm hungry!"

"Go cook something you can eat then! I ain't your maid."

"Yes, but you're the only one in this place who can cook." Minjee laughed.

"Ugh, I hate it when you're right!" Haewon growled and stood up, heading to the kitchen with his black hair still messed up and his clothes, well, not fixed. His bed wasn't even fixed when he came out! It was just a mess and Minjee needs to deal with this every single day. The disadvantages when you're quite the only lassie in the house and you're stuck with an irresponsible man!

Oh, how her reveries of a perfect older brother were big! Too bad her "brother" is nothing like the brother of her dreams. Well, at least he's earning a living, she smiled. Soon, she noticed the time the wall clock showed. She nodded and headed to her room, and came out covered in nothing but a pink towel as she headed to the bathroom.

A few minutes passed and she came out, whole body drenched in water. Her black hair had some drips of water falling down as she walked barefooted to her room. "Still like a little kid. Don't you feel ashamed of walking around with nothing but a towel wrapped around you in front of a guy?" Haewon asked.

"Oh please, you're my brother for goodness' sake!" Minjee growled as she rolled her eyes.

"Correction, step brother. We're only related because of Wonwoo."

"That's dad for you."

"Whatever. I don't see him as a dad though." Haewon chuckled and resumed his cooking. Minjee just let out a faint laugh and headed to her room. Once inside, her smiles vanished. Haewon never really valued their dad due to the leaving he did to his mother before starting a new family, which by any chances was Minjee's. She understood him since, who won't be mad at their own father leaving their mom for another woman? If she was to be in the same situation, she'd take a grudge to her dad for life and probably, never forgive him. Some points in life, she did think of the same deed her father did and sometimes, it made her furious of her own father. How can he do such thing?

Ah, men. She never understood their logic.

She simply looked at the family picture she has, quietly placed on her desk. She smiled by the sight of how happy her biological parents seemed in the picture. She then turned her eyes to the family that raised her, which was consisting of her, Haewon and her step mom. They were like her old family, and they had the same smiles. They were happy. Despite being a step daughter, she never felt like it. Her "mom" saw her as a daughter of her own. She loved it.

Breaking her fantasies, Minjee clad her slim body with a white, buttoned blouse and wore black pants. She clad her blouse with a cream colored vest and neatly fixed it. A white belt held her pants fixed around her waist. She headed to her desk and grabbed a somewhat nametag and carefully pinned it on the left side of her vest. Afterwards, she dried her black hair with a hair dryer and combed it until it was neat. She placed a adorable chocolate brown colored head band and gave her face some light pats of powder and blush on. She lined her eyelids with a light color of eyeliner and her lips with a glittery pink lip gloss. Afterwards, she smiled as she saw her petite reflection on the mirror before heading off. She grabbed a small black shoulder bag and headed out her room.

Passing by the kitchen, she hurried and grabbed a toast of bread and applied some jam on it. Afterwards, she hugged her brother from behind, who was still cooking, and placed a light kiss on his cheek. "I'll be going now, oppa. Lock the house before going off to work, okay?" Minjee reminded and smiled.

"I will. Be careful on your way and good luck with your work." Haewon smiled and patted his younger sister's head. "I'll make some of your favorite dish later!"

"Kimpab? You're the best!" Minjee giggled and gave her older sibling a tight bear hug. Afterwards, she ran out of the house and went off to work. Her black hair flew with the gentle blow of the wind as she ran down the streets of Seoul, her lips curled up into a bright smile. Oh, how excited was she to meet another typical day.

 

"Good morning!" Minjee greeted as she pushed the transparent door open, greeting her the view of her fellow workmates. To be honest, despite being a busy college student, Minjee still has to help her brother earn a living, and that's by taking a part time job in one of Seoul's famous small cafe. The theme greatly expressed how much of a perfect place for ladies, like her, who seek for a relaxing time, is! She was glad into working there and the fellow waitresses and waiters were friendly. Some of them were younger and some of them were older than her. Despite that, they were all very friendly and fun to be with. Every day of work was always enjoyable for Minjee.

After taking her bag down to the employee's room, Minjee began to move and work. She grabbed a cute light orange notebook and pen and went onto some customers, taking down some of their unique orders. Nothing really interested her with this but it was kind of soothing and enjoyable. The customers were kind and polite, especially the ladies! The men? Well, she can say that they're typical ones. Sometimes, some would playfully wink at her and talk to them, but Minjee simply shrugged it off and kept her head on the game.

She did have some work to do.

"Another batch of winkers, eh, Minjee?" one of the waitresses, Sooyoung, asked with a smile. "Ugh, you don't even have any idea, eonnie!" Minjee sighed as she grabbed a tray filled of delicious pastries and eye-catching drinks. She didn't have time to waste and she hurried and gave the orders to their rightful owners.

"Welcome, sir!" Sooyoung greeted, making Minjee turn around at the door. She saw some guy, face covered by a black and white cap with the word "FUKK" on it, and she nearly read it wrong! How embarrassing was it. This newly arrived guy stood quite tall and his build was well. He wore some pale yellow and black colored clothings and what attracted Minjee was her fashion. Wow, this guy had some high standards with fashion, must be a fashionista.

"Minjee! Please take care of the new customer on table seven." one of the older waiters, Jaemin, ordered. Yes, Minjee is quite used to Jaemin's bossy attitude since he is the manager's son and he probably inherited such nasty attitude. Minjee faked a smiled and nodded obediently but once she faced Sooyoung, she wrinkled her face and made funny faces, making Sooyoung laugh softly. "What are you standing there for? Move!" Jaemin shouted, making Minjee flinch and do so. Shock crossed her whole being and made her hurriedly move.

"Good day, sir. May I take your order?" Minjee softly said, her honey-like voice echoing throughout the man's ears. He flinched and looked up at her, removing his cap. Once Minjee had a better view of his face, she had her eyes bursting open. Her jaw fell as she saw the familiar pale yellow hair and that same face. "Huang Zitao?" she literally cried out, attracting customers' attention.

"Kang Minjee!" Jaemin cried out. "Keep your darn voice down!"

"R-right! Sorry!" she laughed, but not for long as she averted her attention to Tao. "Are you following me perhaps?!"

"Me? No." Tao said, blinking innocently. "It might just be a coincidence that I stopped here. What are you doing here anyway?" he asked, tilting his head.

"I darn work here, genius." she glared.

"Oh. Now I know." Tao smiled sweetly, and as much as she hated to admit it, it sent Minjee's wee little heart fluttering and butterflies began fluttering around inside her stomach. She wanted to avert her eyes away, but she can't and just blushed bright red. "Oh, something wrong with you? You're red." Tao uttered. Yeah. It's your darn face making me red! "Of course I'm fine! Can I take your order to end this madness up?"

Tao smiled and nodded, his cat-like eyes scanning the menu. He then gave his order and thanked politely afterwards. Minjee headed to the counter, flushed bright pink, making her fellow work mates wonder what's gotten into her. Fate, are you for real? Of all places, here in the cafe? Ugh, now I'd surely get tons of scoldings in front of him! Minjee thought as she stomped and placed her back on the ceiling. She watched Tao wait patiently and unexpectedly, smiled at her. It sent her heart beating like crazy! That annoyingly cute face! Stop looknig at me!

Time lapped and Minjee had to take Tao's order to him. She avoided eye contact at all costs and continued working. Afterwards, thankfully and sadly, that annoying Tao left the place and Minjee was left in peace. Nothing distracted her anymore and she continued working but for some reason, that pale-yellow haired guy refused to stop running and bothering her mind. It pissed her off and she can barely focus with things. It ticked her off and finally, ruined her concentration.

Thank goodness her work ended quite earlier than expected. Minjee hurried and went off the cafe, bidding goodbye to everyone and heading off to the streets. The wind blew quite harder than that this morning, but Minjee just brushed it off. She soon saw the sky grew dark and she got worried, digging her hand inside her bag. I swear I placed my umbrella here! Where is it- Alas, the rain finally poured. Astonished by the cold sensation brought by the rain drops, Minjee sought shelter and ran to a nearby bus stop. She knew the buses don't come until an hour more, and she wanted to go home already!

Shivering, Minjee sought for warmth. The wind was too cold and she had nothing but her thin cafe vest to cover her up. She wanted to be home so bad. Curse this horrible temperature! She thought as she wrapped her thin and small hands around her body. She watched the rain drops fall down on the ground drop by drop and she only exhaled on her arms and rubbed them together, granting her the slightest warmth. She soon wandered her eyes to things around her, and saw a particular figure beside her.

Familiar clothing style and the same cap with the word "FUKK" on it. "Tao?" she softly called out, revealed a pair of gleaming black eyes under the cap. Strands of pale yellow colored hair came out of the cap on his head. "Minjee? What are you doing here?" Tao asked as he saw the lady shivering.

"What else. I'm caught in the rain!" she grunted and switched her attention somewhere else. "You?"

"Same. I have no umbrella." Tao laughed and rubbed his nape. "Clumsy me. I should've listened to Lay-gege." he giggled. "Mind if I sit here?"

"Sure." she nodded and looked at him. "Your dialect's different? Are you a foreigner?"

"I can say I'm Chinese." he smiled.

"No wonder. Gege does sound like some Chinese word."

"It's a Chinese honorific for older brothers."

"... Okay." she nodded. The two stayed there, silent. Awkward with each other, not even a single sound excpet the peaceful sound of rain, filled the atmosphere. Tao finally decided to break the silence and avert his cat like eyes to Minjee. "Um..." he began. "How long have you been here?"

"About a half hour." she answered quickly, her eyes glued onto the ground. "Why ask?"

"Just curious." Tao softly replied. "The rain's quite wonderful."

"Please, if you have none to say, just shut it." she said and rolled her eyes around. "I prefer peace and quiet than nonsense blabbering!"

"... You're quite something. Fiesty?"

"Am not. ... Maybe sometimes."

"Interesting. Hey, are you still angry that I kissed you?"

"I was just offended, but I forgive you." she said, smiling faintly. "Sehun and Kai did say you were drunk and you've got low alcohol tolerance and I perfectly understand."

"Thank you for forgiving me. Won't happen again."

"Better not or the next girl you kiss just like that'll kick you in the nuts! Straight!"

"... O-okay." Tao laughed. Noticing that the other was shacking, Tao decided to slowly his jacket and removed the clothing off. He stood up and carefully, wrapped it around Minjee. A smile curled up into Minjee's lips and bowed her head to the pale yellowed haired guy behind her. "Thanks. That's... quite nice of you. I appreciate it." she said.

"I can't sit here all the time seeing a lady shiver in cold." Tao remarked. "Besides, it'll be unmanly of me. Kris-gege taught me good manners were the key to being a real man."

"Yeah, but kissing is not a good manner." Minjee joked. "Kidding, I'm kidding." Tao laughed along and nodded, looking at the rain. "So, you and Sehun and Kai are brothers, eh?"

"Not blood related but, yes, we are. We're twelve brothers." Tao explained. "By age order, it's Xiumin-gege, Luhan-gege, Kris-gege, Suho-gege, Lay-gege, Baekhyun-gege, Chen-gege, Chanyeol-gege, D.O, me, Kai and Sehun, the youngest."

"I see. You are pretty many!" Minjee joked and rolled her eyes playfully. The two spent time talking with each other about this and that, and to begin with, Minjee was blabbering about stuff around her yet she asked Tao not to in the first place. They found themselves deep into each others random stories. Minjee learned how fun it is to be around Tao, and with him just beside her, she slowly learned how to control her heartbeats. They slowed down thankfully and she realized how cute Tao looked now that she can see his face clearly. Now, she can hear his voice clearer than when she was screaming like a crazy lass.

Tao, on the other hand, smiled by the sight how beautiful Minjee grew up into. Seven years did the perfect things for her. How happy was he for Minjee to be so beautiful, and as much as he know, his heart raced quite faster than before. It was much faster and much more... weird. Something felt weird in him, as if there were butterflies in his stomach.

Was he in love?

With his own friend?

His very best friend? The one he vowed to protect? Has he fallen in love with her? Has he?

"Oh, here's the bus." Minjee said and stood up. "Thanks for accompanying me, Tao." she smiled and tucked her hair behind her ears. She held onto her bag's strap and climbed the bus. Once she has sat down, she waved happily to the pale-yellowed cat-eyed man. Tao blinked and slowly curled up a smile onto his lips. Tao read the young lassie mouth to him a sweet "goodbye" before the vehicle drove away.

Once she was gone, Tao sat down again and placed his hat on his head, sure that it'll cover his face. Soon, he heard close footsteps and he raised his cap, just to see some familiar faces in front of him. "There you are. Where have you been?" Sehun asked, his arms crossed on his chest. "We've been looking for you for quite some time."

"You said you'll be home two hours ago!" Kai sighed. "Seriously, where have you been lurking, Tao-hyung?"

"I got you guys worried again, didn't I?" Tao smiled and stood up. "Sorry. Are they pissed off again?"

"Not really. Of course, D.O-hyung is a excemption." Kai laughed before nudging Sehun. "You know how that guy is! Always worrying himself for petty things."

"With Tao-hyung not home two hours ago, who wouldn't get worried? Kris-hyung was even worried!"

"He was?" Tao gasped in astonishment.

"He never said he was." Kai said, cocking an eyebrow at the silver haired man.

"Hey, I can see it written all over his face!" Sehun chuckled softly. "Come on, let's get you home!"

"... Hey." Tao called out.

"What is it?" the two asked in unison.

"I got to see her again. Minjee, I mean. And we talked happily, and it felt-"

"Nice? Yeah, it should." Sehun nodded. "I'm glad you two are getting along with her but please, hyung, don't forget the real reason why you need to be close to her side."

"I won't and will never." Tao nodded in assurance. "I'll always keep such in my mind."

"Good. You know, we cannot bear to loose someone dear to us especially if she's innocent!" Kai added.

"I will, okay? Trust me."

With that, the trio walked off back to their home. Tao had a smile glued on his face and had the face of Minjee smiling stuck in his head. He smiled by the sight of her sweet, sweet smile. Her honey-like voice echoed in his head over and over again. Oh, how he craved for another moment like such.

But along with this, his goal never left his mind. It was carved onto his heart and mind, and is already a part of his soul. It's somewhat like an instinct to him already, and it was assred.

"I'm protecting her." those words echoed in his mind every second as he walked home. It was his vow.

And forever will be.

Even if he falls in love with the person he needs to protect.

"Protect. I need to protect her. Like I did in the first place."