XVI

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Noona!" Sehun called out as he ran towards Minjee, who was actually being prettier day by day. None of EXO knew if her hair was really shinier or they were feeling that "love" thing towards the young lass. Her eyes sparkled whenever their eyes met hers. Her smiles were brighter than ever. The breeze blew on her hair gently, and she looked more beautiful than anyone! She looked like a perfect girl any male would fall for.

She was a true angel that has fallen in the ground. That's for sure.

Or maybe, it was an effect of some sort of emotion she was beginning to feel. Something called... infatuation maybe? Or maybe, simply plain joy any person feels.

"Oh, Sehun!" Minjee waved happily upon seeing the silver headed junior. "I was looking for you actually, where've you been?" she asked, still smiling brightly. And cutely. "Is something the matter?"

"Oh, I cleaned our classroom for this day. Have you seen Kai?"

"Eh? I thought he's with you!"

"... He wasn't, noona. He came out of the class earlier than me!"

"He what-?!"

"Guys, chill!" a familiar voice cried as a pair of hands covered Minjee's eyes before sliding down to her shoulder, pulling the senior for a tight hug. "I just grabbed something! No big deal!" Kai laughd, his arms wrapped around Minjee. "Did I worry you that much, eh, noona? Sehunnie?"

"Positively, you did!" Minjee pouted as she pinched Kai's soft cheeks. "Why, you-!"

"Ah! Noona! Quit it!" Kai laughed loudly, holding his noona's hands. "Quit it!"

"Fine, fine." Minjee giggled as she removed her hands from Kai's cheeks and patted the younger's shoulders. "So, you said you grabbed something? What might that something be, hm?"

"Nothing important." Kai winked as he nudged Sehun. "Anyways, can you come with us for a while? We'd want to take you somewhere, noona!"

"... You're not taking me to an alley again and frame me with someone, right?" Minjee smirked, crossing her arms after brushing strands of her hair to the back of her ear. "I nearly died in worry!"

"Nope. We're not doing that again, noona." Sehun smiled honestly, convincing Minjee truly. "Alright, I trust you guys. Just make sure you are taking me somewhere good or I'll-!"

"You'll...?"

"I'll haunt you in your dreams if ever I die in worry!"

"Eh! You're not dying!"

"... I know, I'm just kidding... obviously." the female laughed quite softly as she was taken by the hand by the two boys, leading her to no where in particualr Minjee knows. The three headed to the hidden places of Seoul, well, will.

"Hey, where are we exactly going, you two?" Minjee pouted as she was continued to be dragged down the streets by the two. "Oh Sehun! Kim Jongin! I demand an answer."

"Just be a little more patient, we're almost there!" Kai grinned and held the older girl's hand while walking down with Sehun. Curiousity crossed throughout Minjee's mind and all she can ever wonder is where they were actually heading to. She was that type of girl to get curious that easy. She wondered where they were going, and she hated being curious over things! That's most likely the third thing she hated in the world!

"Please, can you just tell noona where we're going?" Minjee pouted more as she lazily walked with the boys. "Please, it's driving me crazy for real!"

"Just a bit more~" Sehun hummed as he smiled back at Minjee.

"Sehunnie, please-?"

"We're here!" the two giggled in unison. Minjee lit up a bit and found themselves in front of a fancy looking cafe. Minjee smiled by the atmosphere inside as they walked in. "Whoa! Why are we here, hm? You're treating me?"

"Hm, not exactly." Kai winked as he lead Minjee to a table for two. "We want you to stay here for quite some time, can you do that, Minjee-noona?"

"Alone?"

"Well, yes. For now."

"What?! No! You yourselves said that I cannot be alone at times like this! You included me in this madness so you're responsible for my safety! Who knows when there comes to attack me that are well known as ferocious wol-"

"Not so loud, noona!" Sehun cried and quickly shut the black haired lassie within a second. "Please, not in public at least!"

"... Oh, my bad." Minjee giggled cutely. "So, am I to wait here for some time until someone arrives and begins a conversation with me, hm?"

"... Hm, most likely."

"... Fair enough. But if that someone doesn't come within five minutes, I'm outta here!" she pouted. "I hate being left alone. It's like on of my fears."

"Understood. That someone will be here exactly in five minutes." Kai smiled, crossing his heart. "Promise!"

"Well, see you!" Sehun waved and hurried out the cafe with Kai, leaving Minjee all alone. Slowly, Minjee grew bored and had nothing to do. Nothing around her interested her to be honest. She was just there, dazed. She waited.

And waited.

AND WAITED.

"Four minutes, twenty seconds." she sighed as her eyes followed the second hand of the wall clock. "A few more seconds and I'm totally out of here!"

And so, that was followed.

"Five."

"Four"

"Three."

"Two..."

"...One. Yup, I'm out of here." she sighed and stood up, sweeping her hair back to her ears and brushing her shoulder bag on her shoulders. Step by step, she reached the door within a few footsteps. Sighing, she reached for the door and pushed it open when a figure stood in front of her.

"Sorry, did I got you waiting?" Tao smiled as he faced the shorter girl. Minjee gasped and shook her head, smiling. "Huang Zitao, what took you so long?" Minjee laughed softly, shaking her head before crossing her arms on her chest. "You got me slowly worried there!"

"Well, you don't spend little times on our fashion now, do we?" Tao laughed before ruffling the younger's hair.

"Can't argue with that." Minjee giggled as she playfully swatted Tao's hand off her head. "So, where do you take me, yellow headed dude?" she playfully laughed.

"Hm, take my hand and you'll know." Tao smiled and giggled, offering his hand to Minjee. "Let's go?"

"Sure!" Minjee giggled and laced her fingers with Tao's. "As long as it's something I'd really enjoy, make sure of that!"

"Of course. You'd love this place!"

"How much?"

"... Hm, eleven over ten maybe?"

"Close enough. Let's go wherever you're taking me!"

"Sure!" Tao nodded and pulled the female along with him, smiling and laughing together. To wherever they were heading, Minjee and began to run down the streets of Seoul. Unknown where they are heading to, Minjee simply gripped on the other's hand tightly and ran along, smiling brighter than ever. For some reason, she feels something similar to when she is around that safest person she knows has existed. She feels secured and light, as if she was just being craddled by the wind.

Her hand on Tao's big, soft hands were somewhat soothing. The smile glued on the other's face made her heart beat unusually fast. Was she still in love with Tao?

... Maybe.

"Where are we exactly going, eh?" Minjee pouted as she continued following the yellow headed male. "I'm growing impatient here!"

"Just wait!" Tao laughed and continued running. A few turns and runs more, the two arrived somewhere that made Minjee more curious. They arrived on a bridge, and there was nothing but the dull colored water and some boats, and the ripples of the water made everything more boring. "Tao... I don't get the idea why you brought me here." Minjee sighed as she turned around to look at Tao.

"You see, I used to go here with a friend of mine." Tao smiled as he refused to let go of Minjee's hand. "I thought of the same thing you did until I saw the real thing this place wields."

"Huh? And what might that be?"

"Just wait. Patience is a virtue." he winked, making Minjee shake her head and smile. "Fine, fine, but how much longer, hm, Huang Zitao?"

"Stop calling me by my full name." Tao laughed, playfully flicking the female's forehead. "It might take a while, but it's worth the wait. While waiting, want to talk about things?"

"... Sure. I'm not really that talker type, but I'd love to!" she giggled cutely, making Tao's wolf heart skip a beat. It was really pretty of her to giggle that way. Why, even her smiles make him go nuts sometimes! Outside, he might seem a bit cool and carefree but inside...

... He's like a madman bathing in Minjee's beauty.

"Keep it together." Tao sighed.

"Said something?"

"Eh-!? N-no, nothing." the male blushed, making Minjee tilt her head before smiling faintly as the two began to talk about random things.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Hours passed and the sun began to set, and further more, the sun finally took its rest and the moon shone in its former place, stars twinkling brightly above the inky sky. The breeze began to be colder and colder, and that made Minjee shiver as the wind touched her skin. Noticing it, Tao hurried and wrapped his jacket around the female's small body. That smile she carved on her face made Tao smile back and flush into a light shade of pink.

She was just as beautiful as she was with the sun shining bright on her fair face.

Words came out of their lips every now and then and they were never left with anything to talk about. It was unbelievable but yes, not even a second passed without them talking about this and that. They had fun just by being with each other this moment, under the star-filled sky. It was kind of the best moment for Minjee and Tao.

So far.

"So, how long have you been residing here in Seoul?" she questioned as she eyed Tao.

"Since I was ten." Tao smiled. "Or, wait, was it when I was eight? I don't know actually, but I was nothing but a small pup."

"Really? That's kind of a long time already! In those times, was EXO already existing?"

"Hm, well, yes. Kind of."

"Kind of?"

"Well, we never really started as a whole twelve-membered pack."

"Really?"

"Yes. When I got into this pack, we were, um, six? Seven? Five?"

"Really?"

"Yeah. Sehun and Kai were kind of really young when Kris-gege adopted them."

"Oh, no wonder! They act really clingy with you guys!"

"... I don't see the connection there, Minjee."

"Neither do I. I'm saying nonsense."

"Yeah! You are!" Tao laughed and buried his head under his arms as he leaned on the bridge railings. He slowly raised his head up when Minjee talked again. "The stars are unnaturally twinkling bright tonight!" Minjee smiled as she looked up. "It's beautiful!"

"It sure is." Tao nodded. "I used to go here with her at these nights too, nothing seemed to have changed."

"Her...? Well, why don't you go here with her anymore?"

"... She has somebody already, and I feel I'd be a burden." Tao smiled before sighing, his smile slowly vanishing afterwards. "She seems to be happy anyway."

"But still!"

"... I'll give it a try some time."

"Promise?"

"Mhm."

"Good!" Minjee giggled and placed her head on Tao's shoulder. Tao simply blushed lightly and smiled from ear to ear. It made him happy that Minjee was just like that, her head on his shoulder and holding his hand. It was all that he ever asked for. "Minjee." he softly called out.

"Hm?"

"I've... got something for you." Tao smiled.

"Really? What is it?" Minjee smiled excitedly as she looked at Tao with those sparkling eyes.

"Close your eyes first!"

"Eh, why so?"

"Just do it! It'll be worth the shot anyway." Tao winked, making Minjee nod and obediently close her eyes. "Put your hands out." he softly said, which Minjee complied with. He smiled and dugged deep in his jeans' pocket. His right hand was closed and he placed that same hand on top of Minjee's open palms. Something fell down his once closed hand down to Minjee's palms.

"You can open them now." Tao smiled, which Minjee obeyed and slowly, her eyes opened. Her eyes traveled down to her palms, just to find a small, pink ribbon placed softly on her small palms.

"Tao... this is-"

"It's a ribbon. I know." Tao smiled playfully. "You like it?"

"Are you kidding me? I've been wanting this kind of ribbon since I was eleven! I never got this since my oh-so good brother always promises with zero actions done!" Minjee pouted as she smiled. "I never thought I'd get these! These were-"

"Gone years ago. I know." Tao smiled.

"Then... how'd you get this?"

"I made it, duh."

"You... what?"

"I made it myself. I took a picture of it years back and made one."

"For me?"

"Yup."

"... How did you even know that we'll meet one time in the future?"

"Hunches?"

"... You-!" Minjee smiled and hugged the taller guy tightly. "Thank you! I appreciate it well!" Minjee smiled. "The honor's all mine, mistress." he smiled and whispered softly.

"Did you call me mistress?" Minjee blinked, confused.

"Uh, no. No, I didn't." Tao laughed. Ugh, nearly got me there! "Must be my imagination then!" Minjee laughed. "Y-yeah." Tao nodded. It wasn't, Minjee. It wasn't.

"Hey, I'll just go get something, okay? Wait here." Tao smiled, ruffling the shorter girl's hair. "Wait here, I'll be really, really quick. I promise."

"Okay." Minjee nodded timidly. "Be quick."

"I will." the male nodded and dashed off quickly, disappearing within seconds from Minjee's sight. As promised, Tao moved as fast as he can. Well, it didn't even take him a total of minutes when he came, darting off back at Minjee's place of waiting. He was looking forward into telling the truth to her already, and it needed some convincing too. From himself, of course. It wasn't easy, but he successfully convinced himself.

Alas, he saw that dreadful sight.

"Minjee! I told you to not stay out at this late time!" Kris, EXO's leader, said, as he spotted the lonely Minjee standing alone beside the bridge railings. "You know how dangerous it is, right?"

"I am with someone, oppa. Don't worry."

"Who might that be?"

"Tao!" Minjee smiled brightly. "He just had to get something really quick, and I understand that."

"Ugh, that Tao! He must know better not to leave you alone at all costs! It's too dangerous to leave you alone here. What if other packs suddenly come out and attack you and devour you?" Kris sighed in frustration as he pulled Minjee for a hug. "I can't bear to loose you, Kang Minjee. Never."

"... Oppa, I'm okay. He must be back a few more minutes later." Minjee said and hugged Kris back.

"Yes, he must. For the meantime, we must head you home immediately. I don't want you out at this time anymore, Minjee. I'm taking you home now."

"But, oppa, Tao might look for me and get worried!" Minjee debated.

"Minjee, I'll explain to Tao further more. If not, I'll send one of the brothers to fetch him and explain things. Don't worry." Kris smiled and held the female's small hands. That made Tao, who was secretly observing them, burn in jealousy and anger. He hated it.

"Oh! Look, oppa!" Minjee cried in joy as she saw the water falling from the bridge light up in different colors. It was really beautiful, and Minjee smiled by its beauty. "It's wonderful!" Minjee asked as she faced Kris.

"It is." Kris nodded. "Brings back memories." he smiled and pulled Minjee closer to him.

This is all wrong. Tao growled as his eyes began to glow scarlet yet again in anger. He was the one to be with Minjee, whose arm was around Minjee's shoulder and watching that wonderful scenery! It was supposed to be him!

"If only I didn't leave. If only I stayed." Tao teared up as his eyes began to glow brighter and his fangs, sharper. Tears slipped down his eyes in agony and anger. "... If only Kris-gege didn't arrive! That should've been me!"

Why can't you notice, Minjee? He's not me. Here I am! I'm just here!

Notice me, please.

He's not your darn wolf, I am! I'm your Tao! I'm that wolf that stayed by your side! I was that wolf who was forced to put up a fake death to protect you!

... That was all me.

"That was all me!" Tao howled as he sprinted away, tears rolling down his cheeks.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

CRASH!

"Hyung! What happened?" Kai cried as he sprinted from the living room to Kris' room where D.O was, standing and dazed, and slightly trembling.

"D.O-hyung, what happened?" he asked again, patting the other's shoulder lightly. "Are you okay, hyung?"

"I heard some glass shatter. What was that?" Suho asked as Luhan and Sehun came about later more. "Something wrong, Kyungsoo?"

"... Why's that picture shattered, hyung?" Sehun asked as he faced D.O, then Luhan. "Is D.O-hyung alright, Luhan-hyung?"

"No idea. Kyungsoo?" Luhan called out.

"Uh... I'm fine. I'm fine." D.O smiled. "Sehun, get me some dustpan and broom. I'll clean this place up immediately before Kris-hyung returns."

"Alright." Sehun nodded and dashed off with Luhan. Suho, assuring D.O was okay, went off and reverted back to that normal brother looking out for any troubles his brothers might do. Kai stayed with D.O and tended the wound his brother had gained from the sharp glass.

"Be careful next time." Kai sighed and cleansed the wound. "You worry me!"

"... Sorry." D.O blushed. "I'll be a lot more careful next time, Jongin. Don't worry."

"Good."

Outside, Lay watched silently.

The picture shatted.

"This is bad." Lay muttered as he peeked in the corner.

It was Kris and Tao's photo. Together.

"Bad sign. Please, I hope I'm wrong." Lay sighed and walked off.