XIV

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Days had quite passed quicker than expected. Things greatly changed in Minjee's perspective since the truth unveiled itself days ago. And something told her that those changes were actually good. Sure, she didn't have any "girl" friends, but she has twelve guy friends ready to be by her side and protect. She's got Xiumin, Luhan, Suho, Lay, Baekhyun, Chen, Chanyeol, D.O, Tao, Sehun and Kai.

And of course, her wolf, Kris.

She has gotten a lot closer to the whole EXO. She and Xiumin were like in a little sister-big brother relationship. Luhan always treated her like a little princess, and always compliments her beauty, though in her perspective, Luhan is more beautiful that she is. Suho always looks out for her, like a caring guy he is!

Lay, meanwhile, always sticks beside her, worrying over little things about her. He loves being close to her and loves chatting with her. Baekhyun, Chanyeol and Chen were the funny ones. They always made funny stories and jokes and told them everyday to Minjee, and there was no day that Minjee didn't laugh. D.O was the mother, right? He always cared for his brothers like they are his son, and same goes with Minjee. He never saw Minjee as a same-age ally but as a daughter-like figure.

Sehun and Kai are the playful ones, and rather, the most childish, but not as childish as the beagle trio. They loved being close to their dear noona as well, and always plays with her.

Tao and Minjee's relationship is steady. They remained friends at all costs, and despite being the real wolf of Minjee, he began to understand why their leader does this. He is greatly aware of his fragile self, and he understands that. Come to think of it, he can't protect Minjee that great yet. YET.

Meanwhile, Kris and Minjee? Ah, they're like couples! That's the summary, "like couples but aren't couples".

And today was a bright Saturday.

"Minjee! Are you done yet? You've been in there for a total of solid twenty minutes! Hurry!" Haewon cried as he continued banging on Minjee's door. It was a bright day, the perfect day! Days like this come quite very rare! Very rare. "Kang Minjee-!"

"Geez, I'm done! Calm yourself down!" Minjee cried as she opened the door and made her brother fall on the floor flat. "Ever heard of the word patience, oppa?"

"You could've warned we that you were opening your darn door!" Haewon yelled as he slowly got up. He saw how his sister simply smiled and giggled cutely. He scanned how his dear younger sister looked beautiful as ever. Her black hair was combed neatly and a petite pink ribbon was clipped on the right side of her head. Her upper body was clad in a long sleeved, white blouse and a black blazer paired up just to make it a bit fashionable. Her lower body wore black skinny jeans and her feet were clad in a pair of black doll shoes. Ah, how beautiful she is.

"Ah, you've got a little something on your cheek, sis." Haewon said as he spotted a small dirt on his sister's face.

"Where?" Minjee asked as she tried removing the dirt. "I can't get it, can I?"

"Ugh, let me do it!" Haewon sighed and rubbed a part of her marshmallow-like cheeks clean. "There! Done, you lil' kid." Haewon laughed as he playfully swung his arm on his sister's shoulder. "Let's go?"

"Sure, as long as you keep your promise that it'll be your treat!" Minjee giggled as she held her brother's hand. She received a nod from her sibling as they walked off the house. The whole building was then locked and together, they walked down the lively streets of Seoul. When was the last time we had quality times like this? Minjee smiled as she walked with Haewon.

To be honest, with the small four years they share, and being half siblings they are without any resemblance of each other, it's normal to be mistaken as them being a young couple, like boyfriend and girlfriend. It doesn't really bug her, but it does for Haewon.

When was the last time they had these moments? Ah, right, two years ago, was it? She missed those times Haewon would fetch her from school when she was in highschool then treat her out for some snacks and bubble tea! Those times when Haewon would playfully carry her on his back and together, they ran down the streets of Seoul, playing with her all day despite the heavy loads of work.

Now that both of them are quite grown ups, they barely get any times together. Those times they would play around and have great funny sibling times come quite rarely now. It's frustrating.

"So, where do we go first?" Minjee asked as she turned to look at her taller brother.

"Hm, where does little Minjee want to go first?" Haewon questioned, smiling.

"Eh! I asked first-! And I'm not little." she pouted as she hit her brother's shoulder lightly. "And being the one to ask first, you answer, darn it."

"Hm, how about we go to the bookstore?"

"That's boring!"

"Exactly why I'm asking you where to go since whatever I suggest, it turns out boring to you." he smiled, ruffling his sister's hair. "So, let me ask again, where do you want to go?"

"Hm, ice cream shop!" she smiled and pulled her brother along. "Let's go, oppa!"

"Alright, I'm just right behind you." Haewon smiled. Together, the two headed to the nearest ice cream shop, skipping inside and getting a table for two. "Stay here. I'll order what ever you want! What flavor do you want? Vanilla or chocoloate?" Haewon questioned as he pulled out his wallet.

"I'd like to try something new." Minjee smiled. "Strawberry perhaps?"

"Hey, I thought you hated strawberry?"

"I just said I'd like to try somethign new."

"... Okay, but I'm not finishing it in case you can't."

"Okay!"

Minutes passed and Haewon came back with the things he ordered. The two enjoyed each other's company and they hurried off to their other destinations. In no time, they finished eating  and they walked off again. The two now headed to no where particular, simply enjoying the precious moment together. The walks were definitely meaningful enough. It was the best. "Oppa~" Minjee called out cutely.

"Yeah?"

"Where do we go now?"

"Hm, no idea. Park?"

"Sure! Haven't gone there for quite some time already! Let's go there." Minjee smiled and held her brother's hand. To be quite frank, they have gone to the park when they were kids, along with their mother. Minjee can easily recall how her brother used to teach her how to ride bikes until she actually grew tired of it. She recalled how Haewon would pick her up whenever she tripped and cry. Those sibling times they used to share was exactly heart melting.

Hours passed and the two continued walking down Seoul together. The two were having such a great time telling stories about this and that they often weren't able of sharing at times. The two loved it.

... for now.

"Ah, hold on, Minjee." Haewon said as he heard his phone ring. He hurried and answered it, making Minjee simply stop on her tracks and simply watch her brother nod and say "yes sir" and everything. Her smile slowly faded as she gets ideas what was going to happen next. She knew what'll happen... "Yes sir, yes... of course. Okay. Yes, sir. I'll waste no time." the words ended the call.

"What was that?" Minjee asked, her face not bubbly but serious. "Work?"

"Yeah. I think we've got to hold our sibling bonding moment day for now, my boss just told me there's paper works to be done for today. Quick."

"I thought you finished yours already?"

"I did, but the one assigned in those paper works is like a brother to me! He's sick with pneumonia and I've gotta cover for him. You understand that, right, sis?"

"... Yes." Yeah, right. Perfectly, oppa. "So, shall we go?" she smiled faintly and tugged her brother along. Honestly speaking, Minjee once visited her brother's company when she was like, seventeen maybe? She can't recall. She can only remember that her brother's comapny is enormous and definitely, prestigious! It's fancy.

It wasn't that far to be honest. Within a few couple of minutes, they were there. The two entered the building and there, suit-cladded men were walking here and there. It's been quite some time, and she doesn't even recognize a face! "Mr. Lim!" a voice called out that made Minjee literally jolt up and hide behind her taller brother.

"Oh, hey there, Donghyun!" Haewon greeted. "And what's with that name? You never called me Mr. Lim!"

"Eh, you know that I'm just kidding- oh, hey! Who's that behind you?" Donghyun questioned, obviously pointing at Minjee. "Heck, wait! Is she your-"

"Don't say it." Haewon sighed. "She's, yeah, she is."

"Holy , I never knew Lim Haewon has a darn girlfriend!"

"Yeah, I have- wait, what? No! She's not my darn girlfriend! Can't you see the resemblance, dude?!" Haewon yelled as he pulled Minjee beside him, his hands grabbing her shoulders. "Can't you see?!"

"... Nah."

"Darn it, we're siblings! Tell him about it, Minjee!"

"W-what am I supposed to do, oppa?!" Minjee cried as she turned to look at her older brother.

"Tell him what relationship we have!"

"ME?! Why don't you? You've got a darn mouth to y'know!"

"I- sheesh, fine!" Haewon sighed. "Donghyun, this is my younger sister, Kang Minjee. She's twenty years old, currently in her first year of college."

"Sister? Kang Minjee? Dude, are you kidding?" Donghyun chuckled. "You two don't even share the same surname, how in earth can you be siblings, eh? Some sorcery or something?"

"We're step siblings. We share the same dad." Haewon answered softly, making Minjee look at him worriedly. She knew how much Haewon hated saying that they're step siblings and not full siblings, like any other people out there sharing the same mom and dad. She knew that he hated it.

"Ah, I see. No wonder." Donghyun nodded. "By the way, the boss wants to see you quick. Hyunsu's really sick and he might not come to work for some time!"

"I see that. Poor guy, he always gets sick."

"I pity him. Anyways, I'm definitely okay with having extra jobs. That means bigger salary, right? And I'm also doing this for Hyunsu!"

"Aw. Hey, Minjee." Donghyun called out, averting his eyes to the shorter girl. "You are sure lucky for having Haewon here as your brother! But... I think if he needs to work now, you've got to, um-"

"Go off? I know." Minjee smiled before tapping her brother's arm. "See you, oppa. Next time, okay? Promise me!"

"Yeah. I promise." Haewon smiled faintly as he watched her sister walk off alone, out to the streets of Seoul. His smile vanished as he watched his sister disappear completely in the horizon. He felt guilty and agonized. "What's wrong?" Donghyun questioned as he patted Haewon's back.

"Oh, nothing." Haewon sighed. "Come on, where are the papers?"

"Ah, in his office desk. Come on, let's go." Deep inside, Haewon was not okay. He was worried for Minjee. "Oppa, we're gonna have a fun day tomorrow, right?" "Definitely, and nothing's going to come in between!"

"Sorry, Minjee." Haewon sighed as he looked back again to nothing before proceeding into working.

 

 

 

 

 

"... Curse that darn company!" Minjee cursed softly as she kicked threw pebbles to the pond she sat nearby. After being driven out of her brother's company, she found herself in the park her brother and her went to lately. She wasn't furious or annoyed, she was mainly disappointed.

"I thought nothing will interfere, eh, oppa?" Minjee sighed as she threw the last pebble into the water. She buried her head in her arms, sighing deeper than ever. She was lost in a trance until she felt someone tap behind her. "Haewon-oppa?" she smiled, thinking it was her beloved brother. To her surprise and disappointment, it wasn't.

"Chen-oppa? What are you doing here?" Minjee asked as she saw a familiar face behind her. It was no other than one of the beagle trio, Kim "Chen" Jongdae.

"What else. I'm looking out for you." Chen smiled.

"Wha..? Wait! You've been following me this whole time?"

"Definitely. You're someone to protect, remember? Therefore, we've gotta look out for you!"

"In broad daylight? What might happen to me this time?"

"You never know what might happen! Wolves like us can roam around freely in day and night, you know. We're not nocturnal or something."

"Even still, you- wait, did you say 'we'?" Minjee blinked, just to be answered by a nod. She gulped hardly. "Er, how many exactly are you following me for today?"

"... Three?"

"... Not all of you though, right?"

"Yes."

"Good. Where are the others, oppa?"

"Eh, hiding somewhere. You've got to find them." Chen winked as he pointed in a nearby tree. "That's a hint, go find the second guradian."

"Xiumin-oppa, get your outta there already." Minjee laughed as she saw an arm behind the trunk of the tree. To her expectations, it was that chubby-cheeks guy she always felt happy to be with. She never hesitated to use that tongue of hers the was she used it with Haewon. Xiumin was like a big brother to her... despite looking a lot younger than she is!

"You're good at this game, aren't you?" Xiumin laughed, petting the younger's head.

Soon she heard the bushes nearby rustle. She smiled and walked towards the plant and sighed, still smiling. Her hands slowly put the twigs and the leaves in one side, revealing a rather colored hair strand within. "Luhan-oppa, seriously? In a bush?" she laughed as a set of doe-like eyes met hers. Luhan, clad in a rather fancy clothing, smiled back.

"She's great in this game!" Luhan smiled.

"Are there anyone else to look for?" Minjee giggled, just to be answered by a "no" body language. She smiled and looked at the three older men standing beside and in front of her before she looked down and had her smile vanish. "Sad, aren't we?" Chen frowned as he placed his hand on Minjee's shoulder.

"Not really..." Minjee mumbled.

"Understand your brother. He's doing this for some reason." Luhan adviced, still smiling faintly. "Maybe he's doing those extra works for something good. You know, to-"

"Support me and my education as well as our lives. Yes, I know that." Minjee sighed. "He told that to me since he began working in that company. Sure, that company gives rather high salary but... isn't that enough?"

"Earning money isn't that easy these days, Minjee." Xiumin said calmly.

"But all I ask for is a time with my oppa. We barely get any time together since he started working. If ever he comes home early or when I am still awake, we don't get to talk about our days any longer. He's always so tired, busy or stressed the heck out!"

The three frowned by the sorrow Minjee had within. Behind those smiles and that strong aura of hers, she was hurting. Hurting and craving for some quality time with her beloved "step brother". She only wished for that.

"And I thought growing up would be fun. It's not. It's hell." those words stabbed the three as if they were arrows shot to them by hunters. It made them bleed inside more when they caught a glimpse of Minjee's eyes beginning to tear up.

"Hey, it's okay." Xiumin smiled as he pulled out a handkerchief from his pocket. "Here, tears don't suit a beautiful lady like you, Minjee."

"I know." Minjee giggled as she wiped the tears which escaped earlier from her eyes. "I know they don't suit me."

"So, how about this, why don't we accompany you in this little stroll of yours instead." Chen suggested, taking the young lass by the hand. It made the young female smile ear to ear and giggle softly before nodding. "Sure, oppa."

"Where to?" he asked.

"Anywhere!"

"Bookstore?" Luhan suggested, obviously not capable of containing his laughter.

"Oppa!"

"I'm kidding. Let's see... we can go drop by our place again, does that sound cool?"

"... Eh."

"Lu, she can get bored in the house too with us." Xiumin smiled, shaking his head. "Let's go somewhere Minjee here can enjoy truly. Let's see... how about we go to the karaoke? The four of us can have some singing time!"

"I love singing!" Minjee clapped as she linked her arms with Xiumin. "Let's go, oppa!"

"Sure!" the three nodded.

"Hey, I'm not singing high notes, right?" Xiumin gulped.

"Why not? You've got, like, a totally high voice! You're voice's like a tenor or something!" Chen cried, hitting Xiumin lightly on his arm.

"Is not! Yours is higher!"

"You defeated me in that high note battle we came up with two days ago! You defeated me and Baekhyun!"

"Fine, fine. I'm singing those darn high notes." Xiumin sighed, making everyone laugh. The four then hurried and ran down the streets of Seoul, smiling and laughing. Minjee forgot her worries. With these four along, she saw her brother. She saw her brother in them. She felt that warm feeling around her belove brother through EXO. They were like brothers to her too.

... Except D.O who acts like a mother to her.

"Oh, look! Here we are!" Chen smiled and pointed to a building with a flashing banner on top. Wasting no time, the group headed inside and began a unforgettable day of bonding together!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Crash!

"Haewon! You okay, dude?" Donghyun worriedly asked as he heard the sound of shattering glass throughout the hall. Haewon was on his knees, coughing vigurously. His hand was clutched on his chest and the yellow mug he was holding lately was shattered into pieces a few inches away from him.

"Hae, take it easy." Donghyun sighed. "You're stressing yourself."

"I'm okay, Donghyun. I just chocked on my saliva." Haewon breathed as he thumped his chest. "I really am okay, trust me. It's nothing but a little cough and chocking."

"You're not telling the truth, man. I know you, and what's happening to you, so take it easy before things gets worse."

Silence.

"Do this for that sister of yours, Lim Haewon." Donghyun sighed as he helped the fallen male up again to his feet. Haewon sighed and smiled, nodding.

"Fine, but only because you mentioned Minjee."


 

Hey!

Oh my goodness, I would like to thank you guys!

You guys are totally amazeballs! 15 chappies and there we have it...

 

5 UPVOTES AND 39 SUBSCRIBERS!!! AKJSDHKGJASGKAHSLGJASGKJS

 

I LUV YOU GUYS!!!! ;u;

 

 

Especially to vaniberry! jahgasg you gurl are great! THANK YOU FOR SUBSCRIBING AND COMMENTING ALL THE TIME. I really appreciate it, gurl ;u; ILY <3