IX

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ring!

Ah, the bright mother sun ruled the skies finally. Dawn has came and morning started. Birds chirped sweetly and the light brush of the early morning wind made the blooming flowers and green leaves dance. The sun lit the once dead city with its life-filled rays. The warmth woke everyone slowly, one by one.

Well, in this case, this family had not the sun waking them up. Instead, the loud ringing of the alarms and this loud booming voice echoing throughout the building. It was kind of irritating, and yet, none wanted to get up yet. It was an early Monday morning, a day they all despised! "Wake up, sleepy heads, school awaits!" D.O said, gently shaking Sehun and Kai up, who had themselves buried under that one layer of blanket. "You'll be late if you don't get up, Sehun! Kai!"

"Five more minutes, hyung." Sehun grumbled as he buried his face under the pillow. Kai simply rolled over. D.O then crossed his arms and was forced to avert his attention at Sehun. He knew how this silver haired boy is easy to wake up. "Come on, if you wake up, I'll tell Luhan-hyung to hang fetch you later at home."

Silence.

"If you wake up now, I'll tell Luhan-hyung to treat you for bubble tea!" D.O bribed.

Silence. D.O twitched his left eye and sat beside Sehun. "If you don't wake up, I'm telling you to Luhan-hyung! On how bad you've been at school and all the other secrets you said to me before! You don't want him mad don't yo-"

"I was kidding, okay? I'm up!" Sehun cried as he jumped up. D.O smiled and ruffled his silver colored hair before getting up. "Get ready for school. I'll make breakfast after I wake this lazy Jongin up." he said, and Sehun obeyed quickly, hurrying to wash up. He then averted to Kai, who looked as innocent as an infant in his sleep. "Jongin~ Jongin, wake up, you lazy ." D.O gently called out, tapping Kai's shoulder.

Oh, how cute his favorite younger brother is. He was totally different in his sleep than when he is out there, wide awake. He looked so defenseless, which was kind of ironic since he always looked so ready and has his guard on all the time! "Kai. Wake up. School's waiting." D.O said softly, but that only made Kai hit him lightly on his thigh and roll over. D.O snapped and stood up. He walked to the end of the bed and pulled Kai by his feet, yelling, "Kim Jongin, get your off the bed this instant or I'm seriously pulling you off the bed!"

"Gah! Hyung! Calm down! I'm up!" Kai shouted as he gripped on the bed railings. Once D.O let go, Kai let out a sigh and scratched his bed hair before jumping off the bed and heading to the washroom to wash up was well. When he was down, he headed to his room yet again and prepare his uniform. Soon does he find out that Sehun had woken up earlier than him and he was heading to the bathroom already. "Oh Sehun! Me first!" Kai yelled.

"First come, first served, Jongin~" Sehun winked and locked the washroom. Thus, Kai was left there, sulking.

A couple of minutes lapped and the two were done taking a morning shower. The youngsters were dressed in their black school pants and their white school uniforms with the black school vest over it of course. Their hair were still kind of wet, but yes, they ignored that fact. "Breakfast's served." D.O said and handed to them a  plateful of pancakes. Sehun and Kai smiled and happily thanked D.O before eating them up.

Soon, they saw Tao wobble to the kitchen, scratching his head and yawning. "Good morning, Tao." D.O greeted.

"G'morning." the squinty eyed, pale headed guy yawned before falling on the chair and dozing off again. D.O simply sighed and once he noticed that Kai and Sehun were done, he grabbed their plates and piled them over the sink. He instructed them to brush their teeth, which they automatically obeyed. He then tried waking Tao up when he heard Kai's voice from the door.

"Hyung! We'll be going now!" Kai cried as he grabbed the doorknob.

"Be careful! Have a wonderful day!" D.O said.

"We will!" the two said in unison before darting off to school. D.O smiled and averted his attention back to the sleeping Tao. "You know, Zitao, it's rude to sleep on the dining table." D.O sighed.

"I'm sleepy." Tao grumbled.

"Then sleep on a bed, darn it!" D.O cried and shook his head before walking to the sink and wetting his hands. Afterwards, he grabbed the back of Tao's shirt, lifting his head up. Playfully, he ran his wet hands on Tao's face, making the other fellow jolt by the cold sensation. "D.O!" Tao growled.

"Well, at least you're awake. Help me wake the other members up." D.O smirked and gestured Tao to follow him. Tao simply groaned and lazily walked behind D.O, still yawning. Their first targets were the the beagle trio, namely Chen, Chanyeol and Baekhyun, and with them was Lay, who share a room with them. D.O gently called out their names, but seeing it was ineffective, he squinted his eyes and stomped to the curtains.

"Kyungsoo, wait a minute!" Tao softly said, which D.O heard luckily. "What?" D.O asked, turning around to the pale-yellow haired guy. "Is something the matter?"

"Him." Tao said and pointed at Lay, who just woke up and is now stretching. He saw D.O just beside his bed and happily waved at him and greeted, "Good morning!"

"Good morning too, hyung. Now, cover your eyes okay?" D.O sweetly smiled.

"Oh, why in earth would I?"

"Trust me, gege, it'll be for the best." Tao smiled and covered his eyes. Lay innocently blinked and nodded, covering his eyes with his blanket. Once he saw this, D.O hurried and opened the curtains, letting the blinding flash of the morning rays enter the room in a second. This time, he heard surprised cries and figures jolting up in surprise. "What's your problem, D.O?!" Chanyeol yelled as he squinted his eyes.

"Turn the lights off!" Chen pleaded as he covered his eyes quickly to avoid getting blinded by the light.

"Quit it, Do Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun growled as he glared at the big-eyed younger brother. "Please! Every single morning? Seriously?"

"Good morning! Glad you three are awake!" D.O innocently smiled as Lay jumped off his bed and headed beside Tao before going to the washroom. "Now, get your butts moving, three beagle musketeers!" D.O chuckled before exiting their room, just to hear mumbles on how the three were annoyed by the typical wake up routine. They wobbled to the washroom to have themselves washed up.

Meanwhile, Tao and D.O slowly peeked inside the forbidden room. The room of the eldest brothers. Kris, Luhan, Xiumin and Suho slept there peacefully, the atmosphere frightening and heavy. This is what most of them hated, but with this as his daily routine, D.O learned how to get used to this. As for Tao, he doesn't really fear things about his brothers. He doesn't even understand why his brothers were too afraid of Kris! Well, he is the most caring one in the family...

It's just not that obvious.

"You aren't scared, right?" D.O worriedly asked as he looked at Tao.

"Not even a bit. Are you?"

"Nope. Just making sure you aren't."

"Why would I?" Tao snickered.

"This is exactly why you're the perfect partner with waking up the others!" D.O laughed and opened the door slightly. "Aw, am I? What about Kai?" Tao playfully asked, making D.O blush a faint pink shade.

"Shush! You'll make me squeal!" D.O glared as he and the pale-yellow haired man entered the dimly lit room. Silently, the two snuck into the room and gently shook Luhan and Xiumin awake. Thankfully, compared to the others, it was far much easier to wake the eldest brothers than the "beagle trio"! Luhan even looked adorable when he yawned like an innocent child, his black-colored doe-eyed eyes blinking innocently. Xiumin? Eh, he was cute awake and asleep!

Next was Suho. Thankfully, Tao and D.O were someone he'd never hate to see once he wake up. If it were to be some guys like the troublemaker younger brothers he have, it'll start a rather angry day for him. Oh well.

"Okay, time to wake up the dragon." D.O sighed and pointed at Kris.

"Seriously? You'll die if you do so!" Luhan cried as he hid under his bedsheets. "He'll scare the living lights outta you! For real!"

"I tried waking him up and it was a nightmare!" Xiumin shivered.

"You freaking pulled his leg by force, who wouldn't be furious of such?" Suho sighed and headed off their room. "Well, good luck with the dragon you two." he smiled and playfully winked. Luhan and Xiumin followed soon, scampering off the room. D.O then looked at Kris, whose face was covered by his golden-brown colored hair. "You first." he said as e looked at Tao.

"Eh? Why me?" Tao blinked.

"You are most likely the only person he wouldn't snap onto once you wake him up!" D.O cried softly. "Besides, I can feel those other men out there have rumbling stomachs already."

"But D.O-!"

"What?"

"... At least stay here for a while!" Tao pouted cutely that none of them can refuse. D.O rolled his eyes and leaned on the doorway, his arms crossed. "Fine. Hurry up!" D.O said. Tao nodded obediently and poked Kris's shoulder timidly. He was nervous due to the things his older brothers had uttered! Seeing Kris roll after he poked him, Tao began to nudge him softly. "Gege? Gege, it's time to wake up." Tao whispered softly.

"Nrgh... leave me alone." Kris mumbled and rolled over. "Come on, quit being stubborn, gege." Tao frowned as he kept nudging and later on, shaking Kris stronger. "Come on, Kris-gege, please? Get up!" he cried.

"No. Get off."

"Now, gege! Or else-! Gah!" Tao cried as he felt two arms wrap around his neck. "Kris-gege-! Hey! D.O! Help!" and with that split second, Kris's arms found its way around Tao and hurriedly pulled the younger down beside him. "Just shut up and sleep, will you Zitao?" Kris mumbled before snoozing off again.

"D.O! Goodness- Do Kyungsoo! Help me here!" Tao wailed.

"Oh look at you two! How cute! I should go off and prepare the meals!" D.O laughed and hopped off, just to hear Tao calling his name over and over again as he hopped further more.

 

 

 

 

"Thank you for the food!" everyone said as they began to eat breakfast. They were too happy, eating like any typical family. They chatted random stuff about this and that. They even teased each other slightly while eating. Ah, such a wonderful family. "Look who finally decided to wake up!" Chen smiled upon seeing their leader wobble down the kitchen hall with his bed hair.

"Good morning!" Lay greeted. "I heard from a little bird that you had Tao as your personal teddy bear this morning, eh?"

"Shut up, Yixing." Kris yawned and sat down on his chair. Tao, meanwhile, sat on his own place and began eating. "How was waking the dragon, eh, Zitao?" Chanyeol playfully asked.

"Rub that smirk off your face, gege. If you address being cuddled to death as frightening, then waking Kris-gege is scary to wake up!" Tao moaned as he lazily shoved his food in his mouth. "It's worse than frightening, it's traumatizing!"

"Aw, poor baby Tao got scared!" Baekhyun smiled.

"Hey, quit it you!" Suho sighed as he patted Baekhyun's back. "You'll send him crying again later if you pursue those teases!"

"You know how much a cry baby Tao is!" Chen whispered.

"Now, now. Eat before talking!" D.O sighed. Everyone nodded obediently and began eating, thus, putting the whole place into silence. Afterwards, they went on to do their own business. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were busy being engrossed to their television series. Chen and Xiumin were too busy doing some bonding time like playing games and such. Lay and Suho? Busy cleaning. D.O and Luhan were busy washing the plates clean and cleaning the kitchen. Kris read some books in his dimly lit room while Tao simply sat there.

"Bored." Tao sighed, completely audible to everyone.

"Look, if that's an indirect way of making us pity you and another way to tell us to buy you another Gucci bag, forget it." Suho said. "We're broke because of you all!"

"Exactly. And basically, it's the youngest's line's fault!" Baekhyun cried.

"Oh come on! Another bag wouldn't hurt!" Tao pleaded.

"That's what you say always!" Luhan cried from the kitchen, obviously listening to their conversation. "It's always another bag and another bag!"

"I don't think I hear those complains when Sehun asks for another bubble tea everytime, Luhan-gege." Tao snickered.

"I-it's different! He's my... favorite younger brother so deal with it!" Luhan blushed greatly as he stuttered before returning to his job of washing the dishes.

"You know, why not ask Kris-gege? You're his favorite younger brother so he'd obviously not be able to resist you!" Lay smiled as he patted the younger's head. "Go on."

"At least you understand me, Lay-gege." Tao smiled and dashed to the leader's room. Once there, he knocked politely on Kris's room's door before quietly sneaking in. "Gege?" he called out softly. "Can I ask you something?"

"Come in." Kris said, not even bothering to remove his eyes from the book. Tao obliged and entered, sitting on the end of his bed. "Um..." Tao faltered.

"Spit it out, Tao. I'm busy." Kris sighed, rolling his eyes before dropping his book and glaring at the younger. "I really am busy, you know."

"I'm bored. Can you accompany out in the sqare?" Tao pleaded with twinkling eeys. "Pretty please? I badly want to go out again! It's boring out here!"

"Sheesh, you should know better who to ask out within our family when going out. You know how busy I am, I must stick with the whole family." Kris sighed deeply. "Why not ask the other guys who spend time in front of televisions like Chanyeol or Baekhyun? Or maybe Xiumin-gege or Luhan-gege?"

"I feel much better around you!" Tao pouted.

"Why? Because I buy you those Gucci bags?" Kris smirked.

"... Yes?" Tao giggled. "But with that aside, I just enjoy more around you. That's honest!"

"Of course that's honest. If it were to be a lie, I would've sensed it in your aura and read it in your eyes." Kris smiled and ruffled the younger's head. "Sorry, but gege can't accompany you yet again today. You know how dangerous it would be to leave them unattended."

"I understand. I'll go off alone again, will that be it?" Tao asked, just to be answered by Kris's nod. "Very well. I'll be going now and will be back along with Sehun and Kai."

"Be safe, brother." Kris said as Tao exits his room. He reverted his attention back again to his book and began reading again and as for Tao, he hurriedly changed his clothes and grabbed his beanie before setting off. "Gege! I'll be back along with Sehun and Kai later!"

"Hey, Tao!" Lay called out from the living room.

"Yes, gege?"

"Buy these things for me, will you?" he said and threw a piece of folded paper to him. He obediently nodded and smiled before placing the said paper on his pocket before darting off to who-knows-where. It's kind of his persona, something comaparable with the flow of water. He just goes wherever he desires.

Typical ingredients, I see. As expected of Lay-gege. He worries for the slightest of things! Tao sighed as he scanned the paper Lay had given to him. He then headed to the said shop he often buys stuff but after being randomly struck by boresome, he refused to go further and simply brushes off the task, walking off no where as usual. He knew that it was still quite early so he might as well just hang around somewhere.

Sometimes, this young man would go above buildings and sleep there! Sometimes, being easy to piss he is, he gets fights, which became quite rare for him since he met Minjee. Oh well.

He wanted somewhere new this time.

Somewhere that brings no troubles, somewhere he can peacefully walk around.

That's it! He smiled and snapped his fingers before jolting up. He then retraced his paths and ran back, the destination popping up in his head. Tao's smile was visibly bright yet again. He began to race his running pace and ignoring the exhaustion, he kept running back.

He knew that he shouldn't wander off to places, but with his rebellious side quite high, he often disobeys his older brothers. He patienly waited for a bus and rode to somewhere only he knows. The "destination" wasn't quite far so it only took him a few minutes to arrive. He was dropped by a bus station soon and he continued his travel. His free travel, to be exact. The pale-headed guy found himself walking down a quiet alley.

Black roof, black roof... geez, why is every house painted in black?! Aren't these people aware of other colors?! he mentally cried as he saw the same dull color over and over again. He burned inside, until a different color shone among the rest. It was a familiar peach-colored roof, walls painted with a dull cream color. It had silver-colored gates and a mini garden in the front yard. It was a small house, yet it held lots of memories for him.

"Seven years, was it?" he smiled. Tao slowly walked towards the building and smiled as if it was something valuable to him... which was indeed. That small house held so much memories for him and two persons he knew. His heart raced fast as he took heavy steps towards the doorbell. Here goes nothing, he gulped and with shaky hands, rang the doorbell. He waited patiently outside and within minutes, a couple of minutes to be exact, a middle-aged woman greeted him, her black orbed eyes looking at him and his white hair strands quite visible on her head. Her body was glad in a dandelion-patched designed dress. "Yes?" she asked with her soft voice. "How may I help you?"

"Um..." Tao faltered. "A-are you, er, Lim Soonmi?" he asked.

"Why, yes I am, sir. What is it you need?" Soonmi asked.

Its her. It's actually her! Ah, as beautiful as ever! "You're Minjee's mother, right? Kang Minjee's mother?"

Astonishment coarsed the older lady's face. Her eyes widened and parted slightly. Putting her hair back her ears, she looked at the tall man yet again. "Dear, you know my daughter? Are you perhaps a friend of her? A classmate? Who are you? What's your name? Perhaps I might notice you." Soonmi said.

"Ah, um, I'm Tao." he smiled brightly. "I'm Minjee's friend, auntie."

"Ah, her friend I see- wait, your name is Tao?"

"Yes!"

"Oh, memories. My daugther had a friend named Tao too when she was younger. The most gentle and cutest friend ever!" she smiled. "Don't be too shocked but I'm refering to a silver-furred wolf. She loved him greatly and was greatly depressed when he passed away."

"I see. Well, I am her childhood friend too!" Tao smiled. Please recognize me, auntie. It's me. "Don't you recall?"

"... No. I never knew my little Minjee had a friend like you, most importantly, I know all her childhood friends!"

"You do know me."

Silence. "No, son, I don't know nor recognize you. I'm sorry." Soonmi frowned. Tao's smile vanished as he looked down. "I see. It's okay. I'm Huang Zitao. I simply payed a visit here in case you still recalled me, but it seems... yeah, it's okay, auntie." Tao slowly smiled.

"I see."

A little chat of how Minjee was doing was what the two talked about. The kind Soonmi let Tao inside her house and to Tao's surprise, Soonmi lived alone. With her children busy studying and working, living their own lives, she had to endure the loneliness. She wouldn't want to be a burden now, right?

Tao, meanwhile, asked for permission to tour around the house. He saw that same room he and Minjee used to sleep seven years ago. Nothing changed. The same furnitures, the same pictures, same colors, same toys. Everything was the same. He even saw pictures of little Minjee and him. Ah, how happy was he.

Seven years. Seven solid years. I missed this place badly. Tao thought as he looked around his first home. It had that same aura wrapping its place. He wanted to cry in joy, but he had to hold back or his identity will be busted by someone who can't even notice who he is.

 

 

 

6:10 p.m.

"Noona!" Sehun cried, hugging Minjee upon seeing the older female walking towards him. Out of surprise, Minjee let out a gasp and looked at the silver-haired guy, trembling beside her. "Sehun? What's wrong?" she worriedly asked, just before Kai ran towards her, grabbed her shoulders and hid behind her. "Okay, what's going here?" she cried.

Suddenly, two seemingly faculty members came sprinting to her, shouting the two's names. "Oh Sehun! Kim Jongin! Come back this instant!" one of the teachers cried loudly and as soon as he spots the two clinging onto Minjee, they decide to simmer down. "Ms. Kang, I suppose these are allies of yours?" he asked.

"Um, yes?" she nodded. "What happened? Did they do anything?"

"Yes! They got into a fight with the other class twice this day and it caused a big ruckus! They even made their class a big mess!" one of the teachers said. "They need to pay for it!"

"Woah, woah, calm down. I'm sure they didn't mean it." Minjee said. "We never did!" the two cried in unison while hiding from the teachers for their dear life! "We never did!" they continuously cried. "Shush, calm down you two. Noona will take care of this." Minjee smiled.

"Oh, are you their sister then? Another non blood relative?" one of the teachers questions.

"What? No. They just see me as their noona, that's all." Minjee said.

"I'm their real sibling." Tao said out of the blue as he entered the school campus. "I'm one of their older brother, what's going on here?" he asked, and upon his sight, Kai and Sehun sprinted behind him and blabbered everything. The older simply blinked and looked at Minjee, confused. After a few explaining, Tao nodded and protected his siblings.

"I'm sure they never meant it, sir. These two are too innocent." Tao said.

"Nonsense! They are our school's most popular troublemakers, Mr. Huang! They need to get the consequences!"

"Understand them, please. They're just kids." Tao pleaded with his cute eyes. A few minutes passed and finally, they got everything clear and headed home. Along with that, the two never escaped punishment and the next day, they're going to meet detention of 50 minutes. Oh well, at least that's a light punishment!

As usual, the three walked Minjee to her home before they headed to theirs. "That reminds me! I've gotta buy some things for Lay-gege!" Tao cried as he reached for the same folded paper in his pocket. "Good timing, I'm craving for bubble tea. Can we buy one, hyung? I'll use my own money." Sehun whined.

"Sure. Come on!" Tao said and ran off with the other three. Hurrying, they bought and did all things necessary. They ran the errands and bought Sehun's bubble tea, and bought Kai some snacks for he was starving. They hurried back home, as told by their older brothers.

"We're back!" Kai cried, panting. He saw how worried everyone was and nearly jolted when D.O ran towards him, examining his sweaty face and patting his shoulder. "Gracious, we all were worried! It's still dangerous to roam around at this time." D.O stated out.

"I know. Because of the cases?" Kai asked.

"Of course, what else?" Chen sighed. "It's a dark day for us. We don't even get freedom at the only time we can be free!"

"It'll end soon." Suho said.

"And when is soon?" Xiumin asked.

"Soon. Just soon."

Everyone then sat there, quiet, as Kai and Sehun dressed up. Tao gave the things Lay instructed him to buy to Lay himself before sitting beside Suho and Baekhyun. Looking around, he asked. "Where's Kris-gege?"

"In the same place." Chanyeol sighed. "As if something changes."

"He's always there." Baekhyun nodded.

"Always busy." D.O added.

"Please, he's the leader. He's always busy to watch out for his family. For his brothers. For us." Xiumin explained. "Anyways, he'll come out soon."

Tao let out a sigh and brought his right arm on his eyes as he lay his head on the back of the sofa. He was tired, too tired. It was always the same ol' same. Nothing changes, and now? Things got worse.

Day pains them, and so does night.

They have to endure being locked up for now, and see the world through the windows alone.

"It's nothing to be pained of as long as we're together." Kris said as he popped out of no where, a book on his hand. He garnered everyone's eyes and his brothers were obviously shocked to see him out of his room.

"You're not supposed to be out of your god-damn room until dinner! Are you sick?" Luhan mockingly questioned.

"Shut it, Lu." Kris sighed. "I can sense how much you're agonizing of loosing your freedom at night, but hey, it's better than getting killed out there, right?"

"We could agree with that part." Lay nodded. "And besides, it would pain you more to loose a brother than us, right?"

"Correct. You all are my responsibilty." Kris nodded. "I hope you understand."

"We do." all of them said in unison, smiles on their faces... "Hey, what'd we miss?" Sehun asked as he walked out of his room with Kai. As if it was his first time seeing this, everyone was there. "Hey, this calls for a celebration!" Kai clapped.

"For what?" Suho asked.

"The twelve of us are in the same room together!" Sehun smiled. "Most often times, one is missing."

"That would be me, yes?" Kris smirked, just to be answered by a nod. "Well then, let's have those once in a blue moon brotherly moments, eh?"

"Yup!"

Meh, who cares if we loose freedom? Tao secretly smiled. As long as were a family, that's enough. It's enough to be twelve alone.