XVII

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Tao." Suho called out as he saw the younger brother stomp into his room. It has been days and obviously, this yellow haired guy has been acting a lot different. He smiled at rare times and was not acting like himself. He wasn't that Tao that they all knew. He was just not the same guy anymore.

"What is it, gege?" Tao asked in a soft voice.

"Where's Kris-hyung? He should've been home minutes ago!" Xiumin whined as he sat lazily on the couch, just between Chen and Lay. "It's making me worry."

"He's been late for some time!" Chanyeol sighed.

"He must be with Minjee. Again." Tao softly answered as he refused to raise his head a bit more. "As usual. Don't you guys get used to it yet?"

"We are, but hey, we still worry for our fellow brothers." Baekhyun said as he leaned on the couch. "You know how hyung tends to get lost in time tracking!"

"Exactly what Baekhyun said." Chen nodded. "Is something wrong? Most often times, you're the one to first to worry, Tao. It seems like even a bit, you don't care!"

"... I just don't anymore." Tao sighed as he plopped down beside Lay and D.O. "It's tiring, you know."

"Are you sick, Tao?" Lay questioned as he placed his palm above Tao's forehead and tried to feel his temperature. "You're acting rather weird today. Are you okay?"

"Of course I am." Tao nodded and swatted the older's hand away. "Don't be silly, Lay-gege. I barely get sick! I might be fragile, but I am completely resistant over sicknesses."

"We know that." Lay smiled as he heard the door open, revealing a tall, golden-brown headed man. "Ah, Kris-gege is back!" he smiled and looked at the leader. "Welcome back, hyung!" everyone said, all except Tao, who refused to even look at the taller guy. His presence made something in him burn. It made his fury rise.

"Hey, I brought some things for everyone." Kris said, smiling. "I bought a few things you guys like along the way. Here." he said, distributing several things to his younger and to his two older brothers.

"Woah! Kris, you didn't have to!" Luhan smiled as he received his part. "You're too kind."

"Oh, this is exactly what I wanted!" Xiumin cried in joy. "Thanks, bro!"

"Hyung! You're great!" Baekhyun smiled and held his part. "Thank you!"

Upon seeing his closest youngest brother unnaturally quiet, Kris slowly approached his brother and knelt beside him. "Tao? Are you okay?" he worriedly asked. "Yes." Tao palely answered, refusing to look at his older brother even. "I am."

"Oh, good. Here, I brought you a little something." Kris smiled and gave Tao his part. "I hope you like it though, I know it's your favorite." he smiled.

"... I don't want it." Tao softly said, audible to everyone and that even made all perk up and have their eyes wide open.

"Tao, are you sick?" Luhan gasped.

"You never say no to Kris-hyung's gifts!" Chen cried along with Baekhyun and Chanyeol, not believing the younger's actions and words. "Exactly!" Chen nodded.

"I don't want it." Tao repeated, this time, standing up and having his head hung low. "I repeat, I don't like it. I don't want it." he said louder.

"Tao, respect." Suho said.

"... Why, hyung? He doesn't resepct me at all." Tao glared as he pointed at Kris, who was greatly dumbfounded by the younger's actions. "Tao!" D.O cried out.

"What?" Tao growled.

"Tao, what's gotten into you? Are you fighting your wolf side again? Are you deprived of meals?" Kris worriedly questioned. "Full moon's nearly here, we can eat some meat if you want as soon as it arriv-"

"I said I am darn okay!" Tao cried. "Just leave me alone!" he said before stomping off to his room hurriedly and slamming the door shut. Everyone was fazed by the way their"fragile brother" acted. He never shouts at his older brothers.

Especially to Kris. He respects Kris the most, and he owes a lot to him! Why in earth would he act like that? "He's just hungry, that's all. He's been eating little amount of meat these days." Xiumin worriedly said.

"He's dieting? But he's already so thin!" Luhan cried.

"Not dieting, more like perishing himself." Lay frowned. "And it's bad for his health. He'll loose strength and everything if he doesn't eat well."

"Exactly." everyone nodded.

Unknown to them, D.O has been observing Tao's actions. Lay had told the incident when he broke that picture of Tao and Kris days ago and it was a horrible sign of conflicts between siblings. It was a bad, bad sign. Since then, the two looked out for the yellow headed boy's actions, and as expected, that "sign" came true. Tao grew further and further away from his closest older brother, Kris. According to Xiumin, it was because he stole his identity and everything.

... That he was jealous of Kris being close with the girl he loves, and that is Kang Minjee.

Jealousy was thought to never have been existing within them. They vowed that they'll never feel that but it seems they cannot keep that up. Speaking honestly, all of them ARE liking Minjee more than a friend, except D.O and probably, the youngests too, who are completely unaware what the word "love" even means.

Everyone sees Minjee more than a simple girl to protect. It was nothing to deny. It was a fact, an enormous fact that Tao is quite blind of.

"Lay-hyung." D.O softly cried out as he saw Lay come his way. "I'm worried for Tao. Very worried."

"... Me too, Kyungsoo." Lay nodded. "We should do something fast. NOW."

"What? Tell the others the reason of his actions? Kris-hyung will think it's nonsense and childish! It might make the situation worse!"

"Calm down, Kyungsoo. We'll think of something. We can ask Xiumin-gege to approach him maybe and give him advice."

"... That can work."

"Meanwhile, let Kris-gege do his own part of the play. He has to keep on protecting the beauty or the wolves will come and devour her once the full moon shines!"

"... When is the full moon anyway?"

"... Tomorrow." Lay answered softly as he looked at the calendar. "It's terribly dangerous for Tao to keep his fury up once the yellow moon shows up! It'll make him loose control and let out his beast carelessly! If so, he might even hurt us and Minjee!"

"Now, that is dangerous, hyung." D.O nodded. "As far as I know, his beast is-"

"Dangerous. Terribly destructive, I know."

"... But not as much as Xiumin-hyung's!"

"Right. Now, we must hurry and fix this nonsense! Call Xiumin-gege and we'll have a little talk about this and fix Tao's situation fast!"

"Right on it, hyung!"

With that, D.O got Xiumin's attention within minutes and the three began to discuss things over. Kris went off again to guard Minjee in school as usual. Who knows, there might be wolves lurking in the school grounds too! It's dangerous for Minjee, and she's merely a weak human, who has no defenses for beasts!

The left brothers continued to grow more and more worried for Tao's relationship with Kris. If that kid gets his fury kept up until tomorrow, it's an enormous problem!

 

 

 

 

"Tao? Can I come in?" Xiumin asked as he knocked on Tao's room's door. "Sure." Tao faintly answered, but completely audible for Xiumin. Carefully and slowly, Xiumin opened the door and peeked at the sulking brother. His aura was down. "Can we talk, brother?"

"What about? If this is about Kris-gege, I'd rather say-"

"It's not about Kris." Xiumin cuts. "It's about you, Zitao."

"What about me?" Tao asked, his face expression showing how confused and worried he is. "Is something wrong about me? Did I cause problems unconsciously again, gege?"

"No, but if you don't lighten up, you will." Xiumin sighed. "Look, I know it's hard for you to see Kris and Minjee together, but understand that he's only doing that to protect the girl you dragged into this mess. She is your responsibility but Kris decided to take that for you since he knows that you cannot protect her yet."

"Yet? What do you mean, gege?" Tao questioned.

"You're fragile, Tao. You're still weak despite knowing a few fighting moves and stances, and I know that you are capable of defense and offense moves."

"... So, why can't I protect her instead? Do you know how much it hurts that the girl you like is around your brother's arms, the brother who pretends to be you?"

"Maybe not the second part, but the first part, we all know that."

"... For real?"

"Yes. I don't know if you're just naive but all of us likes Minjee, except D.O I think. We see her more than a girl to protect nor a friend nor as a little sister. We see her as something more, and of course, not as a prey." Xiumin smiled.

"You like her too, gege?"

"... Slight, but I tend to ignore it instead." the older smiled. "My point here is that despite liking the girl, you should understand well. He's doing this for a reason."

"You always say that! Suho-gege always says that but I just can't... take it anymore!" Tao cried. "The way he hugs her, holds her, smiles at her and places kisses on her forehead! It drives me nuts and-"

"Tao, calm down."

"But, gege-!"

"Tao, tomorrow, you must remove the anger burning in you."

"... Why?"

"Full moon. Tomorrow is a full moon. If you loose control and let your beast out, it'll be a big ruckus! Who knows what you might do? Remember that time I had that experience?"

"Yes, gege. You were... frightening. I barely even recognized you!" Tao shivered. "It's a horrible memory I want to forget. It's horrible. The way you made Chen-gege bleed nearly to death and choke Chanyeol-gege to death was just-"

"Alright, alright, stop right there." Xiumin pouted. "It's the past, let's move on. You get my idea though, right?"

"... I guess."

"Good. Now, go and make up with Kris now. Go and follow him to Minjee's school and say sorry."

"... Xiumin-gege-"

"No but's. Now."

"... Later."

"Why later?"

"I need time to reflect and think. I'll apologize when I can, but I promise, I'll do it today."

"Make sure of that, okay, Zitao?" Xiumin grinned and ruffled the younger's hair. "If I see that you've done your promises, I promise to go out with you in the city and buy you a Gucci bag!"

"Really?"

"Really!"

"Woah, thanks, gege!" Tao smiled brightly as he watched his older brother walk out the room. His eyes slowly closed as he fell down the bed, reflecting on himself and his deeds as what he told to Xiumin earlier. His thoughts flowed back and he drifted off to his reveries.

Outside, Xiumin leaned on the wall, those painful memories flowing back to him when he unleashed his beast accidentally. He nearly killed his beloved brother, Chen, back then. It was painful. "Xiumin!" Luhan called beside him. "Oh, Lu, what's wrong?" Xiumin asked.

"Did you talk to Tao already? How is he?" Luhan worriedly asked."Is he alright?"

"He's fine and will be fine." Xiumin smiled. "Where are the others?"

"In the living room." answered.

"Xiumin-hyung!" D.O called out with Lay walking down beside him. "How'd it go?"

"Going according to plan. Tell the others that we're going out once three o' clock in the afternoon strikes." Xiumin commanded as he faced Lay. "Yixing, go along with Suho and follow Kris. Track them down and pull them to the designated place."

"Understood." Lay nodded and ran towards Suho. Xiumin simply stood there outside before he fell on his knees, clutching his chest yet again.

"Xiumin-gege?" Lay called out as he knelt down. "Are you okay?"

"... Yes." Xiumin smiled and took a breath before standing up. "I'm alright. Come along, we'll go."

"Okay." Lay and D.O nodded and followed the older brother off. With a brilliant plan to go, EXO could only wait and try to hope that it would succeed.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ring!

"Kris-oppa?" Minjee blinked as she saw the familiar face standing beneath the crowd in front of her. It was him yet again. That golden-brown haired guy standing tall among the others, waving and smiling at him. That face would always stand out for Minjee. "Hey!" she waved and ran towards him.

"Hey." Kris smiled. "How's your day today? Well?"

"Mhm! It was okay." Minjee smiled brightly. "Shall we wait for Sehun and Kai too? We can go home all together if that's alright."

"Sure. That's alright." Kris nodded and stood beside Minjee, walking out of the school campus, out in the campus. Together, they waited, even holding hands with the taller guy. A few classmates walked out of the campus and literally melted by the presence of Kris. He's the perfect guy for any girl, and Minjee knew that.

"Woah, I never knew a guy this perfect would hit on you, Minjee!" one of her female classmates cried out as they hesitated to approach her. "It's just so, unexpected!"

"You're too lucky to have him as your boyfriend!"

"Why you of all girls though? You ain't anything special, Minjee!"

"Yeah! Hey, cute guy, there're lots of fishes in the sea, why this boring nerd of all people?"

Kris found those words offensive but seeing Minjee completely unaffected, he simply glared at the girls. He said no words, he didn't even move an inch, his eyes were enough to speak. Everyone flinched in fear and darted away, surprising Minjee. Kris looked back worridedly at Minjee. "Aren't you hurt at all?" Kris asked as he eyed the younger.

"... I deal with those teases everyday. I think I am used to it already." Minjee said, trying to smile faintly despite the pain. "I mean, I think people's perspective over me is just someone boring and... nerdy."

"But you're a beautiful girl, they are judging you because of your intelligence, and that's clading your true persona. Why not be someone who's just beautiful."

"... Oppa." Minjee sighed, eyeing her "wolf". "My grades is what I only go. I have to make a living soon, right after this college thing. I want to help my brother and my mom. I want to be someone helpful and not a burden. At least... that's the only thing I got. That's the only thing I can use to repay this family I have that adopted me years ago."

"But it pains you."

"Even if it kills me, I am not stopping." she smiled and giggled. "I'm gonna be successful. That's my goal."

Kris smiled secretely and nodded. He loved Minjee's confidence and determination. It's not that typical anymore for girls. Especially with girls. Some would just crumble and brush off their dreams and just follow their wants. Minjee? No, she's even willing to make a sacrifice!

"Kris-hyung!" Suho called out, running down the streets, heading towards Kris and Minjee. Surprised, Kris walks toward the black-haired man and glared at him instead of a warm welcome.

"Suho! Why are you here? Who's watching the kids?" Kris glared. "You're the one assigned to watch out for everyone while I am out. That's what the co-leader does, darn it! Go back to our place, now!"

"Gege, calm down! We've got reasons." Lay said calmly after he waves at Minjee, who was just standing still at one side behind them. "Xiumin-gege instructed us to fetch you and Minjee."

"Why on earth would he instruct you with such?" Kris questioned.

"We don't know." the younger answered. "Suho will wait for Sehun and Kai. For the meantime, you, me and Minjee should get going. Now."

"... Fine." Kris nodded and gestured Minjee to follow her. The three then walked off as Suho stayed still outside the gate, waiting for his younger brothers to be dismissed from classes.

Unknown to them, the third person came along, dressed in dull colored clothes as per usual. His hair was kept down by a gray beanie and with hopes of both seeing Minjee and apologizing to Kris, he walked down the streets just to see Suho waiting outside the gate. "Suho-gege, what're you doing here?" Tao asked in surprise as he saw the older brother. "Are you up for appointments this day?"

"Ah, no. I'm just waiting for Sehun and Kai." Suho answered. "What are you doing here by the way, Zitao?"

"... I'm apologizing to Kris-gege and seeing Minjee. I guess I should really tell the truth to her. I've made up my mind completely." Tao smiled brightly.

"Really? That's... great!" Suho laughed. "But there's one problem."

"What might that be?"

"... Um, the two have gone ahead already. I think they're going to the park or something. I'm not sure."

"... They're together? Again?"

"Yes."

That's the last straw. "Okay. See you then." Tao nodded and darted off once again. If he holds her hand yet again, I'm refusing to apologize. That duizhang has pissed me long enough already! Long enough I say! With that, Tao hurries and runs off, hoping that he can locate Minjee and Kris' location, totally clueless what fate has in store.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Are they on it?" Baekhyun asked as he faced Xiumin before turning his eyes to Chanyeol.

"Think so. Lay-hyung does move fast, and Suho-hyung too." Chanyeol nodded. "I'm sure they're okay now. Is everyone set though?"

"Yes." D.O answered. "Has anyone seen where Luhan-hyung, Xiumin-hyung and Chen-hyung gone to?"

"We're right here." Luhan called out, waving his hand slightly.

"Where's Xiumin-hyung and Chen?" Chanyeol asked.

"Here." Chen said, raising his hand as Xiumin swallowed he placed in his mouth before putting another object back to his pocket. "Are you okay now, hyung?"

"Yes. No worries, Jongdae." Xiumin brightly smiled. "Come on, let's get going."

"Okay!"

"May the anger vanish before the cursed yellow moon shines." Xiumin softly chanted as they walked out of the house.