XIII

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Minjee!" Haewon cried as he saw his younger sister come out of her room, her hair a mess and her eyes still squinted. She was too sleepy to know what has gotten over her older brother as she felt two pairs of arms pull her for a tight bear hug. After one yawn, she blinked multiple times and averted her squinty eyes to Haewon.

"What's with you?" Minjee questioned, blinking a few times. "Are you sick? Fever or something? Why are you freaking hugging me, Lim Haewon?"

"Why I am hugging you?! Kang Minjee, you came home late last night! Where have you been?"

Oh dear, I'm busted. "Um." she blinked. "E-every store ran out of cheese and I had to go to the furthest stores to be able to find one! It was annoying!" she cried out.

"Really now? Then how did you get into your room without me noticing?" Haewon glared.

"Um... ninja moves?" she joked as she rubbed her nape.

"Really? Ninja moves? Minjee, you're not some twelve years old kid anymore! You're twenty for the love of Pete!"

"... Oh! L-look at the time! I'll be late for school!" Minjee cried as she ran to the washroom. "Well, gotta hurry up, right? I don't want to be in the late records in school like what my big brother kept!"

"I-! Sheesh, fine. Just hurry up, the food'll be served soon." Haewon smiled as he shook his head.

"I will!" she laughed and locked the washroom. Minutes passed Minjee finished everything she had to do. She took one refreshing bath, wrapped herself in some neat clothes and has now finished eating breakkfast. Afterwards, she brushed her teeth, combed her hair neat and grabbed her bag. "Oppa! I'll be going now!" she cried.

"Sure! Do well!" Haewon cried.

"Oh, and oppa! Your tie's over here in the couch, don't forget! Fifteen more minutes and you're late for work!"

"Ah, okay! See you later!"

"Okay~"

With that, Minjee was sent running down the streets, her black hair riding along the morning breeze. She had a smile on her face, not only because she expects a wonderful day, but because things had gotten quite good for her. She met her long lost friend, Tao-erm, Kris! That wolf that stayed by her side for three solid years and disappeared the next seven years has now returned! Along with that, everything's so clear now that she doesn't need to wonder about "EXO". She now knows who they are.

She has nothing to fear anymore. A weakling like her is sure to be protected by twelve men, and one of them is her beloved wolf and three trusty friends! She's shielded, and that's most comfortable.

"Noona!" a familiar voice cried as two hands covered Minjee's sense of sight, sending her to jolt up a bit and squeal. "Good morning!"

"W-what? Who is this? Hey!" she cried as she held the hands on her eyes. "Hey! This isn't-!"

"Boo~" Sehun giggled and hugged Minjee from behind. "Good morning, Minjee-noona." he smiled, just to be replied by a sweet smile from Minjee. "Good morning too, Sehun. Oh, and to you too, Kai!"

"So, are we all good?" Kai softly asked, smiling as he scratched his head. "I mean, with all the supernatural things you've learned yesterday night. Aren't you at least... a bit creeped out of us?"

"Psh, I'm not. I would never turn my back on my friends, would I?" Minjee giggled and patted the younger's shoulder. "So, mind if you walk along with your noona today to school?"

"Hey, we attend the same school, so why not?" Kai joked as he felt Minjee link her hands on his. "Then, let's go!" she smiled and nodded, skipping to school as her arm was liked with Kai's and her hand held Sehun's big, soft ones. The three hurried to the school together like any normal day they spend together. It was nothing different to the past days. They're still having a normal day and that's that.

Minjee loved it.

Upon arrival in their school, Minjee headed to her class immediately, but was soon taken a back when Sehun called out for her name loudly. "What's wrong, Sehun?" she asked, a brow slightly raised. "Is there something you'd like to tell me?"

"Yup!" he nodded. "How are you suppose to explain the sudden disappearance of Sulli and Krystal if your teachers ask you?" he questioned, his arms crossed on his chest. "Well, you can't just tell they disappeared like that, there has to be a back up reason, right?"

Sehun was right. There needs to be a reason, and she has to come up with something, quick! "Er... I-I really don't know how'd I tell my professors!" Minjee panicked. "I'm not good with telling lies, you know!"

"Well, we've gotta come up with a reason!" Sehun cried.

"Hey, I've got an idea." Kai smiled and tapped Minjee's arm. "What?" the two asked in unison, a curious look carved in their faces. With that, Kai's brilliant ideas came running down their ears in a form of whisper. It was the perfect reason Minjee could use, completely obvious with how the three smiled. With that covered, the three went on to their own classes. Minjee has the perfect reason to cover Sulli and Krystal's death, though she does think telling lies is bad.

Oh well, this is a white lie, right?

"Good morning, class." the professor greeted as he the class. Everyone greeted back with a lively reply and bowed down in respect. With that finished, the middle-aged man went on to check everyone's attendance. He grabbed a piece of paper and walked down the sides of the students, checking their names once he sees them.

As he passed by Sulli and Krystal's seats, he stopped and paused. "Where's Ms. Choi and Ms. Jung?" he questioned and faced everyone. "Does anyone know?"

"Sir." Minjee called out as she faced the professor. "I know the reason."

"Why are they not present, Ms. Kang?"

"Krystal had some important appointments to do and she had to take an act in the last minute. Her family in America met some serious issues and she had to go back there for a while. She'll return on no specific date, sir." Minjee explained.

"And what about Ms. Choi? Where is she?" the professor asked.

"Went and started living in Mokpo. An important family member just died recently and she just knew about it yesterday. She rushed to Mokpo upon learning the incident that she asked me to tell you the reason for missing classes today and in the future. Same goes with Krystal."

"Oh dear, how sadenning. Send Ms. Choi my condolences. As for Krystal, we hope she and her family gets better."

"I'll tell them your messages soon, sir." Minjee smiled.

"Oh, thank you, Ms. Kang!"

As planned, those excuses worked perfectly. How Minjee admired the way Sehun and Kai comes up with quick ideas in no time! She admired their great tactics, and that was a compliment! It was something she liked about the two. They've got great intelligence, unlike typical kids their age, who only care for love lives and social things. These two were unique, when in fact, they really are. They're not like the others.

And no, not only because they were werewolf teens, but something really different. They were just different, that's it.

The day went smoothly like any typical day. There were zero problems bugging Minjee for today. The day went on with some breaks in the middle of the day, and she happily spent time with Sehun and Kai. She had little chats and a few questions brought by her curious nature, but hey, everyone has them, right? She began to learn more who exactly they were and who exactly EXO is. Minjee learned a lot, on how they grew up, their past, everything. She had everything clear now, and she knew she was in safe hands.

 

 

 

 

The day passed rather quickly. Before she knew it, Minjee was heading back home again, of course, with Kai and Sehun accompanying her. She knew why they always walked with her morning and until the sun begins to set. She knew that she needs to be protected. Minjee was fully aware that humans like her are no match if ever another wolf pack comes out of no where, so, even if they aren't that of a great fighter, having two or more wolves by her side is better.

"Oh, just a second." Minjee said, stopping on her tracks as she felt her phone vibrate. "Hello?"

"Minjee. It's Haewon." Haewon said from the other line.

"Oh, oppa, what's up?" she asked, gesturing the two to hold on. Thankfully, Kai and Sehun, being obedient young fellows, obeyed and paused as their eyes lays down on Minjee.

"I might get home late. About eleven maybe. There's lots of paperwork to do. Oppa might not make it to dinner, sorry, sis." Haewon said in a low tone, as if he was sorry to leave his sister alone.

"Ah, I see. It's okay, oppa. Finish all the work you need to do and make sure you don't stress yourself much, okay?" Minjee smiled, despite being sad that her brother would miss having a dinner with her.

"I promise. Sleep early, understood? No more late dramas."

"Okay."

"Good. Bye."

"Bye."

"What was that, noona?" Kai questioned as he saw Minjee walking again. "Is something wrong? Who did you talk to?"

"My Haewon-oppa. He said he might come home late, so, I'm left alone in our house." she sighed heavily. "Alone."

"What? But, don't you get lonely?" Sehun asked in worry.

"Of course I get lonely. Oppa's the only one I stay with." Minjee pouted. "But it's okay. He's a busy man and not always, he can make it on time. I understand that."

"... If noona wants, she can drop by at our place for a while!" Sehun invited, holding the older's hand tightly. "Only if she wants though, since I think, she'll get lonely if she's alone! I don't want noona lonely!"

"Aw, you're too thoughtful, but won't I be a burden? And plus, I don't think I can catch up to the way your living is." Minjee laughed, rubbing her nape and brushing her hair to the back of her ear. "There are too many-"

"You were never a burden. Plus, you've met everyone, right? You need to get comfortable with the rest too!" Kai smiled. "Not only me, Sehun and Tao can be the only ones you can rely on!"

"Hey, don't forget Kris!" Minjee pouted. With that simple sentence, their smiles slowly vanished, making Minjee wonder. "What's wrong? Did I say something wrong?"

"Oh, nothing." the two answered in unison, despite it being blasphemy. "Let's go!" Kai said, smiling yet again and grabbing Minjee's hand as they dart off. Minjee ran along with the two boys, running to where the two resides. It didn't take a while when they arrived in EXO's residence. It was like any other house existing. It had that typical aura and nothing is "seemingly" different. Amazing, right?

"Hyung! We're home!" Sehun cried as he entered the building.

"We brought someone along too!" Kai added as he removed his shoes along with Minjee. Everyone looked at the two arriving yet again and had grins on their faces when they saw the petite young lassie return. "G-good day." Minjee shyly bowed and smiled. "I hope I don't get a burden. Sehun and Kai here invited me to drop by here for a while since my oppa's coming home late."

"Oh, nothing to worry! You're not a burden, Minjee!" Lay smiled and took her by the hand. "Are you hungry? Would you like something to eat or drink?"

"Ah, no, I'm good." she smiled. "O-oppa."

"Aw, that's something new to hear." Baekhyun snickered. "We're all males here so we often here 'hyung' alone, and not 'oppa'!"

"Really?" Minjee blinked. "Don't you mingle with females? I meant... female humans?" she questioned, just to be answered by the men shaking their heads. "Oh, sorry I asked." she giggled.

"Hey! Minjee, you're here again!" Suho greeted as he closed the book he was reading. "Make yourself at home. Do you need anything-"

"Hyung, Lay-hyung already asked her that question." Chen said, grinning. Suho simply smiled and blushed light pink in embarrassment, making the young lass giggle and find the boys cute. Soon, she saw a familiar, red-headed come out of the kitchen. "Oh, good day, D.O!" she greeted warmly. Come to think of it, D.O isn't as cold as he looked."

"Oh, you dropped by!" D.O smiled shyly.

"Yes. Sehun and Kai invited me along."

"Ah, then make yourself at home!" he smiled. "I'm just preparing dinner."

Minjee smiled by the warm welcome the guys had given her. They weren't those "bad" werewolves she used to read in fairytale stories where they eat you once you fell into their trap! They're just like normal guys disguised in human masks. They had various personalities, and it interested her. She felt the warm and security they emitted. "Oh, Minjee!" Tao smiled as he saw Minjee sitting on the couch.

"Ah, hey there, Tao!" she greeted as she ran towards him, giveing her a light hug. "Um, nice hair style?" she teased, seeing the male's messed up, pale-yellow colored hair.

"Hey, I haven't fixed my hair yet!" Tao smiled. "What brings you here?"

"Oh, just dropping by." she smiled as she walked back to the couch and sat down comfortably. "Haewon-oppa's coming late tonight and some kind hearted gentlemen decided to make me stay here for a while so I wouldn't feel lonely." she smiled, eyeing Sehun and Kai.

"Aw, that's sweet." Tao smiled as he averted his eyes at the youngest ones. "I guess they really are getting along with you, hm?"

"I guess." she smiled. Tao and Minjee shared a lot of stories and chats, but that changed with one question Minjee uttered. "Tao, where's Kris?" she asked, making Tao's smile fade slowly. He thought Minjee had Kris out of her mind already, but, how can he be so idiotic? In her eyes, her wolf is Kris, not him. Tao knew that once Minjee knew her wolf, she'd only have her attention on him. And that lucky guy is Kris. Ah, one sided loves hurt.

"He's-" Tao hesitated, until he heard the door on the hallway slam close, revealing a golden-brown haired man, scratching his head and yawning.

"Kris!" Minjee greeted and jumped up, running to the tall man. Kris had his eyes slightly open and was quite astonished when the young girl hugged him tightly. "Hey!" she greeted.

"Oh, hey." Kris smiled and patted her head. "What brings you here?"

"Just dropping by!" she giggled. "What's with that style? It's gross!"

"Hey, this is my style, deal with it." Kris laughed and playfully kissed Minjee's forehead. To be honest, it made Tao jealous. A LOT. It didn't amused him. It never amused him. Was Kris taking this as an advantage to get Minjee's heart? As soon as he watched Minjee and Kris hang out casually, he felt something in him break and burn.

His fragile, wolf heart. Yes, he is in love with the girl they need to protect, and maybe it was the wolf's hormones to feel too protective of Minjee, but he can never fight their leader. He was beyond his reach. He can only sit there, watch, and be silent, refraining himself from doing something dangerous and reckless.

"I guess you two are getting quite well already!" Chanyeol smiled as he sat beside Minjee and wrapped his long arms around her shoulder. "Hey, did you know you're really a beauty?"

"Oh, thank you. Haewon-oppa tells that to me a lot, but I don't think I am. I'm like any typical girls out here in Seoul." Minjee giggled as she blushed slightly.

"A girl with a humble heart, you don't see that everyday!" Luhan smiled as he placed his head on Sehun's shoulder. "You're way to lucky to have her, Kris!"

"Eh? What does that mean?" Minjee blinked.

"Lu's messing around. Don't listen to him." Kris sighed, rolling his eyes. Minjee simply blinked there, clueless of things. Meanwhile, the sensitive Xiumin tended to notice Tao's unnatural silence, thus, secretely approaching the younger and talking to him softly.

"Tao? What's wrong?" Xiumin worriedly asked. "Are you not feeling well? Lack of meals perhaps?"

"No, I'm okay, gege." Tao said, trying to smile. "I really am."

"Don't lie." Xiumin frowned. "Come on, tell gege."

"It's nothing, I just feel... weird."

"Weird?"

"Yeah. Weird."

"I... ugh, let's talk about this later after the visitor leaves, understood? We'll deal with this later, Huang Zitao." Xiumin smiled as he ruffled the younger's hair. "For the meantime, don't be so gloom, it doesn't suit you."

"I'll try, Xiumin-gege." Tao nodded, now smiling faintly. "I'll try."

"That's the spirit, Zitao!" Xiumin grinned and returned to sit back next to Chen. The thirteen, now including the masked Tao, had some little chats. They learned lots more about Minjee, and so did Minjee towards EXO! She knew that she was the same age as D.O as well! She learned that she, Chanyeol, Chen, D.O and Baekhyun shared the same passion for music and shared the same love for dancing same as Lay and Kai! She learned about those "playfully brother-like" moments they share, especially between Luhan and Sehun, Baekhyun and Chanyeol, and of course, Kai and D.O. Sometimes, they'd even pair them up playfully, which sends the six blushing!

It was a typical family. It's like human families Minjee witness, despite them being wolves. They had jokes, teases, playful fights, and most of all, what builds a family, love. These twelve loved their brothers truly.

"Dinner's ready!" D.O said from the kitchen. Everyone nodded and with perfect teamwork Minjee never witnessed before, they set the table, prepared the dishes, and everything. They were like one. They were in unison. They were cooperating perfectly!

"Minjee, come on, let's have dinner." Tao smiled and took Minjee by the hand. Minjee gladly followed and arrived in the kitchen. The dinning table was rather spacious since twelve people dinned there together. It had that typical family aura that made Minjee more comfortable.

"Kris-oppa!" Minjee called out, letting go of Tao's hand as she darted to the taller guy. "Can I sit next to you?" she asked, smiling.

"Sure." Kris happily nodded as he pulled out Minjee's seat. "Here you go." "Thank you, oppa!" Ah, how sad Tao was to see Minjee happy with someone who "stole his identity for a reason". He knew that Kris had a perfect reason to this, and he explained that to them last night. He truly understood but he can't just help but to feel something.

The family ate happily. Thankfully, the dishes weren't something gruesome and raw like what she imagined wolves like them ate. She expected some raw animal parts with intestines showing, and some other gruesome dishes. To her relief, they were cooked and rather, mouth watering! She did hear from Lay and Sehun that D.O is a rather great cook. She saw that to be real as the dishes were served great. The meat was cooked well, and there were even some vegetables served... which Kai and Sehun decided NOT to eat.

They were normal.

Physically and mentally normal. They acted like true humans.

It was great. "Something wrong, Minjee?" Suho asked as she saw a small smile curl up Minjee's lips after she shoved a piece of meat in . "Oh, nothing. It's just the food is so delicious!" she happily commented.

"Why, thank you." D.O sweetly smiled.

"And I also thought, to be frank, your dinner would be... like... raw food with blood all over it! And some intestines showing up and nerves shown! And hearts still beat-"

"Oh dear, don't you have a wild imagination!" Kris laughed.

"We're mannered wolves. Plus, eating raw dish is a no-no! It's disgusting that way!" Chanyeol cried as he stuck his tongue out. "It's simply disgusting to eat pumping hearts and intestines without being cooked! We'd never eat such!"

"Where'd you get that idea anyway?" Baekhyun asked as Chen eyed Minjee.

"I... read it in some fairytale books when I was little." Minjee blushed. "I guess it's not true."

"Of course not! Who on earth would eat raw things?!" Luhan cried. "We do, hyung, when we're in our wolf forms." Kai countered, a smirk glued on his face. Luhan didn't hesitate to hit Kai and cry out, pouting afterwards as Kai simply laughed it off. He laughed because of Luhan's expressions and because of his weak attack.

Minjee's eyes watched and observed the twelve. They weren't so bad as what she feared. After dinner, the group found it enjoying to chat around with her. They had little jokes, little teases and everything. How long did I not feel this warm family feeling? Minjee smiled as she watched the brothers hang around with her. It was heart-soothing.

Time ran fast, and before Minjee knew it, it was ten in the evening. She soon felt sleepy and everything. She yawned constantly, which everyone found cute. "Someone's sleepy." Xiumin smiled as he playfully poked Minjee's cheeks.

"No I'm not." Minjee smiled, her eyes quite teary. "I'm not sleepy, oppa."

"Sure, that's why you constantly yawn." Kai smiled as he eyed Minjee.

"You can sleep in our bed for a while, Minjee. Take some rest." D.O told.

"I'm okay, really." Minjee laughed before yawning again. Everyone adored her cuteness and that made Minjee blink a few times before she felt something hold her hand. "I should walk you home." Kris suggested as he stood up, pulling the younger up as well. "You should rest already. It's still a weekday tomorrow and you've got classes."

"I know, but I don't wanna go yet." Minjee pouted.

"Yeah, hyung. Can't she stay here a bit longer?" Chen begged as he used those "puppy eyes"."

"Guys, her brother, Haewon, is coming an hour later. If he comes home even a second earlier than Minjee and finds his sister not home, it's big trouble!" Kris explained. "It's better to be safe than sorry."

"I agree with that." Suho and D.O said in unison.

"Okay, fine." Minjee pouted as she grabbed her school bag and nodded. "See you guys soon again!" she smiled as she walked to the door, hand in hand with Kris.

"I'll be back soon." Kris said as the two went out of the door, disappearing from the rest's eyes. After that, Tao let out a deep sigh before heading to his room. Everyone noticed that and knew exactly what was in their brother's mind. All of them were greatly troubled when one of their brothers act like such.

"I'm getting terribly worried for Tao." Suho sighed.

"Everyone is." Lay added, scratching his head. "What are we going to do to help the poor guy? Is he sick or something? Should I make herbal medicines for him?"

"Lay-hyung, he's not sick." Baekhyung sighed as he rubbed his nape. "He's troubled by emotions."

"Didn't he understand the reasons yet?" Chanyeol questioned.

"He did, Chanyeol, he can't just... handle it well." Chen answered. "We should do something. Seriously."

"What though?" Luhan, Sehun and Kai asked in unison, blinking multiple times.

"Talk to him?" D.O suggested.

"I'm on it." Xiumin smiled as he followed Tao in his room. The room was dimly lit, the only light source being the lamp light and a lump under the bed sheets was seen. Xiumin sighed deeply as he walked towards Tao, hiding underneath the sheets. "Tao?" Xiumin called out, tapping the younger's shoulder. "Tao, can we talk?"

"Sure." Tao nodded, still not moving under the bed sheets. "Tell anything, gege."

"Are you still upset that Kris is the one being with Minjee? Is that why you're so gloom?"

"I just can't help it, gege. He stole my identity. I know, the reasons're acceptable but... these darn emotions-"

"You're jealous?"

"What?"

"Jealous. Are you jealous, Zitao?"

"... I guess I am. I mean, keep it a secret between you and me, gege, I like Minjee. Since we were little, I always had this little infatuation for her. That's why I kept my vows and that golden bell she gave me seven years ago. That's the main reason I did those."

"Tao, Kris isn't stealing your love. He's mainly protecting her." Xiumin said in a serious tone.

"I know, but what if he does?"

"He wouldn't."

"How are you even sure?"

"I just know he wouldn't. He's not the type to fall in love with females, especially humans!"

"... Make sure of that or I'll kill you in your sleep." Tao joked, finally sitting up, smiling faintly. Xiumin grinned and pinched the younger's cheeks, giggling. "See! Smiles suit you more, you wushu panda wolf!" Xiumin laughed as he patted his shoulder. "Now, take a shower and brush your teeth before sleeping, okay?"

"That's D.O's line, ge!" Tao laughed.

"Ah, who cares?" the older chuckled as he ruffled the younger's hair.

Jealousy's normal. Yeah, it is. I shouldn't even be jealous with my own and closest brother. He has a reason, right? I trust Kris-gege, I always did, always do and always will.