XXI

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Xiumin-oppa! Good morning!" Minjee greeted as she waved her hand, hesitant in entering the small apartment. She was dressed in a petite skirt-shirt clothes. Her hair was tied up in a neat fashion as well by a white ribbon. Everything was a lot better as she that heart-melting smile she always wears.

"You're early!" Xiumin laughed as he stood up, holding Minjee by the hand. "Come inside, make yourself at home! A few of us are awake, so we better keep quiet while the rest are asleep."

"Oh, okay! Who're awake?" Minjee asked as she began to lower down her voice.

"See for yourself." Xiumin smiled and leaded her to the living room where three guys were sitting comfortably. "Good morning!" Minjee greeted softly as she flashed that smile of hers and waved her small hands.

"Good morning!" Lay greeted warmly.

"Oh, Minjee! You're quite early!" Suho smiled.

"Good morning!" D.O warmly smiled, soon to be followed by a small, shy wave at her. "Please, sit down. Are you hungry? Have you taken breakfast?"

"Yes, don't worry. I've eaten breakfast already along with Haewon-oppa." she smiled. "Have you?"

"Oh, no. We're waiting for everyone to wake up for now." Lay smiled. "I mean, it's weekend, they deserve to wake up quite later than usual. We've got five busy weekdays and only two weekends. It seems quite fair."

"Fair point." she smiled. "If you don't mind, I can help you guys with preparing breakfast." she giggled. "At least, that's what I can do."

"You sure?" Suho smiled.

"I've worked with D.O once, I suppose it'll be fine... right?"

"... O-of course." the red haired brother shyly nodded as he averted his eyes. A few moments later, no one was still up and everyone was growing bored and hungry. Terribly hungry. "Shouldn't we wake the others up yet?" Minjee nervously smiled as she occassionally heard the rumbling of stomachs.

"... As much as we would love to, they're probably travelling happily in their dreamlands. It'd be quite a guilt to wake the boys up." Suho sighed deeply.

"But, erm, you're.. erm." Minjee laughed, pointing at everyone's stomachs. At that moment, D.O shot up and blushed bright red, grabbing Xiumin by his arm. "Xiumin-hyung! Come with me! We're waking everyone up!"

"But, Kyungsoo-"

"No but's! I'm not going to starve to death waiting for them to get their ing asses off the bed!"

"D.O-! Language!" Lay glared as he heard the younger curse loudly. Hesitating no more, Minjee stood up and showed that "smile" of hers again. "D.O, if you don't mind, I'll come with you instead." she suggested and walked towards the red headed male.

"Oh, no. You don't know a bit how monstrous the others can be!" D.O warned.

"I believe I've gotten used to it since my brother is quite the same." she giggled softly. "I swear, I've seen lots of monstrous whatevers already."

"... I'd listen to D.O here if I were you, Minjee." Suho laughed nervously. "The boys are exactly three-hundred sixty degrees different to what you see them as!"

"Like what I said, I'm used to it. I'll prove it!" Minjee insisted, holding D.O's hand and making Xiumin be released. In an instant, everyone was nervous but after a few seconds of Minjee holding D.O's hand, everyone soon agreed to try and give Minjee a chance. Hurrying despite being a lot nervous, the two went towards the first room.

"Aw, don't the trio look a lot cute when asleep!" Minjee softly squealed.

"Hah, you're nuts." D.O scoffed. "Now, just follow my ways and wake them up gen-"

"Rise and shine, sleepy heads!" Minjee cried as she hurried and opened the curtains, making everyone jolt up in shock and scream. "Gah! Turn off the lights, Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun practically screeched.

"Kyungsoo! What the actual fudge, man!" Chen screamed.

"Ugh, what's with you?!" Chanyeol yelled as he glared at D.O, soon shocked when he saw a female instead of his typical red-haired brother. "M-Minjee?!" the three beagles cried in shock.

"Good morning, sleepy heads!" she giggled and waved.

"W-what the hell are you here for?" Chen cried in shock, covering his body with a blanket and fixing his bed hair.

"Well, Xiumin-oppa asked me to drop by here if I feel alone since Haewon-oppa's busy with work... again."

"...O-oh. So... can you, erm, get out as we fix ourselves in a moment?" Baekhyun asked kindly.

"With pleasure! Come along, D.O!" she smiled and held D.O by the hand, who was still quite shocked of the way she easily woke up the three without shouts and everything. It was rather the first time. Maybe everything would go well.

Same happened in the eldest brothers' room. Luhan was easily woken up with no whines and anything. He obediently followed Minjee's orders to wash up and head to the living room. Waking Kris up was rather a piece of cake as well. He didn't groan and complain or whatever. Once he saw Minjee's eyes, he instantly went up and sat straight without hesitating. He hurried and scamppered to the living room. "How in the world do you do that?!" D.O cried out.

"Eh, girl ways." Minjee joked and walked towards the next room: the youngest members' room. Tao, Kai and Sehun slept soundly, the two youngests having themselves buried under their blankets. Tao looked the cutest, he was so defensless and innocent-looking. It made Minjee squeal a bit inside. 

Gently and motherly, Minjee woke the three up easily, much to D.O's surprise. It was rather unexpecting that a human girl like her had easily tamed twelve wolves, including him of course. 

"We'll be outside." D.O said, holding Kai by his arm as the younger was too sleepy to even walk down the hall. "Be sure to wake Tao up already. Everyone's dying in hunger."

"Understood." Minjee smiled and watched D.O drag Kai and Sehun out of the room. When they were all out, Minjee averted her eyes on Tao, who was still sleeping peacefully. Slowly and carefully, she sat beside the sleeping individual. Softly, she ran her hand over Tao's soft hair and before she even knew it, she was face to face with a rather alert Tao, who woke up by her touch.

"Oh goodness, you surprised me." Tao sighed as he scratched his head. "Wait- why are you here?" Tao blinked.

"Your brothers said I can stop by here. Besides, oppa's out again." Minjee smiled. "It doesn't bother you though... does it?"

"Of course not, but... seeing me like this as a mess is quite, well, is kind of embarrassing." Tao giggled softly. "I don't want you to see me like this."

"Oh, please! I always brush your fur years ago, remember? All the time."

"Still, I'm not a wolf now-!"

"Just stay still and sit straight. I'll grab a comb." Minjee smiled and stood up. "So, where are your clothes located, huh?"

"Sheesh, I'm not a baby." Tao laughed and watched the female head off.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Minjee!" Suho called out. "Can you help me and Kyungsoo here?"

"Coming, oppa!" Minjee chirpped as she ran to the kitchen. It's nearly twelve noon and soon, lunch will be served. So far, Minjee and the twelve were in their residence alone, chatting and doing the boys' typical stuff. Minjee found herself rather a lot more comfortable around the feminine Luhan, the chubby cheeked Xiumin, the innocent Lay or maybe around her wolf, Tao. It was rather quite enjoyable too. There were rather lots of jokes Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Chen had in store. D.O was rather very caring. The youngests are just as fun as ever. 

Everything was just perfect around twelve unique boys. 

"Ah!!!" D.O practically screamed, making everyone jump off from wherever they were sitting and get alert.

"What's going on?" Kris cried in horror as he heard one of his brother's scream. "D.O, is everything okay?"

"Who ing ate everything in the fridge?!" D.O yelled as he faced all his brothers. " Tell me now!"

"Not me!" Kai and Sehun cried together. 

"Not me." another said.

"Not me neither." another innocently said.

"Not me, don't dare blame me!" another cried.

Quickly, Suho sighed and turned to the eldest brother, arms crossed. "I have a hunch that it's Xiumin-hyung... again." he softly said, everyone's eyes turning at Xiumin. "Wasn't it?"

"... Come on! My appetite's been increasing terribly these days!" Xiumin whined cutely, which only Minjee found adorable. "I'm not eating much fresh meat since the last full moon-!"

"Well, it was obviously your own fault." Chen laughed.

"It's bad to skip your normal meals, gege." Lay worriedly stated out before turning at D.O. "And since it's Xiumin-gege, I guess we can understand, right?"

"... Ugh, if only he doesn't look the cutest next to Luhan-hyung, I would've smacked you unconscious seconds ago!" D.O cried as he glared at the older brother. "I guess we can't have meat today." he laughed in a frustrated manner, earning a rather disappointed groan from his other brothers. Minjee, who was busy giggling like an idiot, was the only thing Tao can see. He was just so in love with the way Minjee giggled like that, and to be honest...

... he's not the only one seeing that way.

Minutes passed, or maybe more like an hour, lunch was served. Everyone ate happily with a few chit-chats and everything, like a normal family. Minjee actually felt happy with such environment. How long was it since she had this particular feeling? Since she was sixteen or such? How long was it since she had a proper meal with her mom and brother?

It felt like eternity.

Though she does prefer being around her brother more, EXO gave her that family-warmth she hasn't felt for years. It was precious.

"Noona!" Sehun whined as he skipped towards Minjee, plopping down beside her and placing his head on her lap. "What's wrong, Sehun?" Minjee worriedly asked as she patted the younger's head. "Is something wrong, dear?"

"Yes! I'm bored to death and Luhan-hyung won't come along with me!" Sehun cried, sobbing.

"Aw, is that so?" Minjee smiled. "If you want, noona can come with you instead. Luhan-oppa must be a bit tired or busy this day, so I'll come with you." she giggled, seeing how the younger's eyes light up. "Really?" "Really!" "Uwah, thank you! I'll get dressed right away!" "Go ahead, dear."

A few more minutes later, Sehun came out dressed rather fashionably. Afterwards, hand by hand, the two headed to the front door. "Hyung! We'll go off for a while!" Sehun cried. "We'll be back soon." Minjee added. 

"Be careful!" Suho reminded. With that covered, the two hurried off, skipping happily as they head to the center of the city. The remaining eleven were silent, still indulged in their own business, well, most of them were.

"Tao? Is something wrong?" Xiumin asked as he snapped his fingers in front of the younger's face. "W-wha?" "You're quite dazed today. Something bothering you, Zitao?"

"... Oh, it's nothing."

"I believe that's a lie." Lay smiled and sat down beside the yellow-haired brother. "Come on, tell us, we'll listen."

"Exactly. That's what brothers are for, right? We're a family, Zitao!" Baekhyun laughed and patted the younger's back. "Come on, lay it down, brother."

"... You would be upset if I spit it out." Tao sighed and averted his eyes away with a small pout. "Plus, you wouldn't rather believe me neither."

"C'mon, just tell it." Chanyeol grinned.

"Fine!... I like Minjee, that's it." Tao blushed as he placed his hands over his face. "I like her more than as someone to protect. I like her more than as a mistress, but I like her as a man myself. I really am in love with her." he softly said.

"But, Zitao, beasts like us cannot fall in love with a human. It's like fire being friends with water, it's unimaginable! It's impossible. You cannot defy nature, Tao." D.O said as he crossed his arms. "Despite being quite painful, you've got to accept that."

"So what? I'll stop my heart beating for her?"

"If you must, you must then!"

"Kyungsoo-!"

"Sheesh, enough you two!" Suho sighed as he stepped in the scene. "Look, I suppose I'll agree with Kyungsoo, since well, we can't actually fall in love with humans so, yeah."

"But, gege-!" Tao whined.

"I agree with Tao."

Within that heard, all eyes fell on Xiumin, who was simply blinking on the corner innocently. "Are you serious, hyung?" Chen gasped in disbelief. "Of course I am. Why would I lie in such situation?" Xiumin cooly smiled.

"Are you serious?" Luhan blinked.

"Is that the effect of eating too much, hyung?" Kai joked.

"No." Xiumin smiled. "I believe everyone knows what I am talking about, right?"

Silence.

"That proves I am correct then." Xiumin smiled. "Alright, tell it out to Tao."

"Wait! I don't get it still. What are you trying to say, Xiumin-hyung?" D.O asked as he blinked a few more times in confusion. "I don't get it."

"... Everyone's liking Minjee, hyung." Kai calmly explained. "Everyone."

"Say what?!"

"It's true. I think everyone of us has fallen in love withKang Minjee." Suho nodded. "Except, well, maybe D.O, Kai and Sehun, most probably."

"All of you were in love with- wait, what?" Tao gasped. "We're sharing the same feelings towards one human girl?"

"Exactly."

"... Wow."

"That's why, move now while our infatuations aren't growing that big yet." Lay smiled. "Or else, this'll be a big competition, dear brother. It'll be lots of trouble."

"And we don't want no trouble in our house, yes?" Suho grinned. 

"... Yes." Tao nodded.

"Then move it!" Baekhyun cheered and gave his brother a light push off the sofa, making the poor guy fall down on his back flat. "Ge!"

"Get your moving." Chanyeol teased. "Or I'm stealing your girl."

"Hey!" Baekhyun yelled.

"I was kidding, Baek." Chanyeol laughed hysterically. "And Tao, quit sitting there and get moving darn it!"

".. I-I am! I am!" Tao nodded and scamppered to his room, dressing up in a hurry. Once he was done, he wasted no time and hurried out of the building. With that covered, everyone was smiling, and of course, except for the still confused and stunned D.O. After a few more minutes, Kris came out of his room, obviously being someone who heard his brothers' conversation. "Did I hear things right?" Kris asked in an emotionless tone.

"H-hyung! Calm down, i-it's Tao's freedom!" Kai nervously cried as he saw the "monster" come out of his lair. "Please! Don't do anything to ruin-"

"I'm not doing anything you'll fear, Jongin, so shut up." Kris said, crossing his arms. "But I do hope you're leading our brother in the right way."

"Please." Luhan laughed softly. "What could go wrong?"

"Lots can go wrong, Luhan. This is a wolf we're talking about. Humans are below our food chain. Lots can go wrong." Kris sternly said and shook his head. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Thank you for coming along with me again, noona!" Sehun smiled as he clutched the paper bag on his arms. "But.. I wasn't a burden, was I?"

"Nonsense! You weren't!" Minjee giggled.

"Really?"

"Really."

"Aw, thank you then! Oh, and next time, I'll repay you back by treating you a bubble tea!" Sehun giggled.

"That's sweet of you!"

Noticing what time it was, Minjee adviced Sehun that she has to head home before her brother does and finds out that she's been out hanging with boys, which she knows her brother is very against of. Plus, she didn't want her brother all worried now, right? Despite Sehun being totally against of Minjee walking down the streets alone, he had to obey her for some reason. Something in him cannot just go against her decision. It was weird and this weird feeling made him simply nod and get paralyzed as Minjee walked down, further and further away from him.

It was weird, and thanks to him being too young to understand, he simply brushed the thought off and headed back home alone. 

Or so he thought.

 

 

 

 

RING!

"Hello?" Minjee answered as soon as she heard her phone ring. "Minjee?" "Haewon-oppa! What's up?" she excitedly answered as she heard her brother's voice. "Is there some reason you called? Are you coming early?" she asked.

"Oh, no. I'm just checking up on you. You see, it's getting late, so yeah." Haewon said in the other line.

"Oh, I see." she giggled. "I'm okay, don't worry. I just went out to have a little walk and some small snacks." she lied.

"What? Don't we still have food at home?"

"Eh, they're all too salty."

"What? They're delicious!"

"They are... for you."

"Okay, okay, whatever." Haewon laughed. "Anyways, take dinner ahead of me, okay? I might get home late."

"Sure, oppa. See you." she said and after ending their conversation, her smile vanished and tears threatened to roll down her eyes. She hated Haewon to say those dreaded words that he'll come home late. She hated it. "... my life." she mumbled and kept on walking and had her head hung low. Since her mood was down, she decided to take a little walk in the park where there were only a few people spending their peaceful nights there.

And along with them, Minjee simply sat on a bench quietly, thoughts flooding her mind.

Why was her brother like that?

Was it too much to ask that she wants some time with her dear brother?

Was it just... fated that her brother has zero time for her?

It's rather a too painful truth. She lost too much already, and she cannot loose her half brother too. Loosing her biological parents was just enough. She can't loose anyone anymore. No more.

"Minjee." 

Huh?

"Minjee!"

... Who?

"There you are!" Tao smiled as he successfully found his mistress. "Why the long face, Minjee? Something wrong- woah! Are you crying? What happened?" he cried in surprise upon seeing tears escape her eyes.

"Oh, n-no. I'm alright. I'm just going through stuff." she smiled as she wiped her tears. "I just... remembered things." she giggled. "Nothing serious, so don't worry, Tao."

"... Let me guess, is it Haewon again?" he questioned as he tilted his head before sitting beside the sobbing female. "I told you, it's just things, it's nothing serious." Minjee said, seemingly trying to avoid the question.

"Minjee-"

"Honest, Tao. I'm alright. I'm a lot better now that you're here." she smiled as she held the male's hand. "I'm glad you're here. That's what I really need the most, some affection from one person I love a lot."

"... You love me?" Tao blushed.

"Of course, silly. Who wouldn't?" she smiled. "You've been with me for years as the best friend! I love you since you've been the best friend I can get!"

...Oh, friendly love. Thought something else. "I feel honored." Tao blushed brighter. "Erm." he coughed. "Minjee... I've gotta tell you something, and it's rather important."

"Hm? What's wrong?" 

"It's bothering me for a while, and with unspoken words running around my mind, it's beginning to make me go nuts! I just... had to let it out."

"What's wrong? Is something bothering you?"

"... You can say it like that, yes."

"Tell me. I can listen." she smiled sweetly.

"Sure you won't be surprised?"

"Promise!"

".. Alright, here I go. Just... don't get shocked."

"I already promised."

"Okay... okay."

With Tao's head hung down, it made Minjee get a lot more confused. Tao was blushing brighter than scarlet, if there is even a shade brighter than that. His lips were parted but words refused to come out. The silence made everything give more tension for the poor wolf boy, and finally, with courage pouring out, he moved and brought his right arm out from his back, holding a stalk of a red, rose flower.

"Minjee."

"... Tao?"

"I... like you. More than as your wolf or anything, but as me. I love you as me, as Huang Zitao." he uttered, voice shaking in nervousness as he put his arm out, showing the rose to the female. 

"Huang Zitao..."

"What the , are you confessing your love at me?!"