XXIV

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Minjee!" Tao called out as he arrived in front of Minjee's residence. Worry was greatly carved on his face, and so were his brothers. Upon hearing the female's call about her brother being in the hospital, everyone rushed at her place to see if ever she's panicking. Worse, she might've fainted already!

Or maybe... she can be in the hospital too.

"Minjee!" Tao called out yet again and this time, he noticed that the door was unlocked. Upon opening the door, he saw the poor girl, sobbing as her head was buried down under her arms. "Minjee!" everyone cried out as they rushed towards the poor young lass. "Minjee! Speak up, what's wrong?" Kris worriedly said as he tried to make her look up at him.

"Oppa... my Haewon-oppa... he's..." Minjee tried to say in between tears, making no sense at all as she was too busy crying. "Haewon-oppa.. he-"

"Minjee, calm down." Lay said as he went to the kitchen. "I'll get you some water. For the meantime, the others would gladly calm you down, right?"

"Yes." everyone nodded.

"Good." the dimpled brother smiled and rushed to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

"So, tell us. What happened?" Suho calmly asked.

"Here, wipe your tears." Chen worriedly said and handed Minjee his white handkerchief. After wiping her tears, new ones spilled down and in agony, Tao simply let Minjee cry on his chest as he tried to calm his beloved. The sight of the poor girl worried and torn apart was much more painful for EXO. "Minjee." Lay called out, carrying a glass of tap water. "Here."

"T-thank you." she weeped and tried to drink a bit.

"Better?" Chanyeol asked, smiling faintly.

"How in earth can I be okay if my brother is in the hospital?" she sobbed and began to cry again. "What exactly happened anyway? What happened to Haewon?" Baekhyun asked, eyeing Minjee.

"Donghyun-oppa called a few minutes before I called Sehun." Minjee began. "And he said oppa fainted while working. At first, he was vomitting right after he ate a light snack. Some of his workmates adviced him to go home but oppa was just a hard headed one. Donghyun-oppa also told me that Haewon-oppa was kind of pale and wobbly and that's when he fainted."

"... Oh god. So, how's his status now?" D.O asked.

"I-I don't know. I hope he's okay. I'm just... he was working too hard.. he never listened to me." Minjee sobbed. "And I'm... just too worried for Haewon."

"Let's see him then." Kai suggested, smiling. "Can we?"

"Of course." Kris nodded. 

"We should see your brother's situation there." Luhan said and stood up. "Which hospital was he taken to?"

"A bit far from here." Minjee sighed. "It's too far."

"That's like a few walks with us around, noona." Sehun smiled, standing up quickly. "Come on, let's not waste any more time!"

"... Alright?" Minjee blinked quite confused. When Tao carried her on his arms, Minjee knew this was going to be an extraordinary way to the hospital, and it was...

When they were outside, the twelve leaped with ease on top of the roof, and with Tao carrying her quite loosely, Minjee had to hold tight onto her boyfriend to avoid falling down. The twelve were seemingly skipping normally in the park as they leaped roof to roof! It was supernaturally amazing for Minjee and for a split second, she smiled as her eyes glimmered in joy. She saw how the city looked from above, and the wonderful lights shrouding the place made Seoul a lot livelier than ever!

It only took minutes when EXO and Minjee arrived in front of the hospital. Upon arriving, Minjee squimmered in Tao's arms and jumped on the ground, sprinting inside. EXO hurriedly followed close behind to wherever Minjee was going. With no clue where she was going, but with the growing worry, she cared less. She only wanted to see her brother.

Nothing else... but her brother.

In a safe situation, that's all she wished for. 

"Minjee!" Donghyun called out upon the sight of the ebony-black headed lady running. Upon hearing such familiar voice, Minjee, despite in the verge of tears, bravely approached him. EXO, meanwhile, kept a safe distance from the girl, not knowing if it was safe to approach a human. Yes, they look human but what if they make a mistake? It's danger for them and Minjee! "Donghyun-oppa!" Minjee cried out as she ran towards the taller man. "Wh-where's my oppa? How is he? Is he okay? Is he-"

"Minjee, calm down." Donghyun said as he held Minjee's hands, patting them gently. "The doctor are currently tending on him. Don't worry. He'll be okay."

"What happened anyway?"

"He fainted in work suddenly! He was actually looking a lot paler than usual when he came to work and some of us, including me, adviced him to go home but he disobeyed us! When he was told to run an errand by our boss, he fainted right after standing up!" 

"... I always told oppa to stay home and rest but he simply brushed my words off..." Minjee sighed in worry and frustration. "B-but, he'll be alright, yes?"

"We can only hope he is, but I do know your brother is strong. He can make it." Donghyun smiled and walked a bit near a corner. "These guys... are they with you, Minjee?" he casually asked, pointing at the twelve colored-haired men. "Yes. They're my friends." she nodded. "They're EXO, they're all brothers."

"Woah, really? Twelve of 'em? Your parents must be, well, quite in some hardships raising you guys up." Donghyun joked, snickering softly.

"We're not really blood related." Kris answered cooly. "We're just more comfortable seeing each other as brothers instead of mere friends."

"Now that's deep, dude! Come along, sit here." Donghyun said, inviting the men to sit down on the seats near Haewon's room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Ms. Lim?" a rather older looking doctor called out, making Luhan wake up from his light sleep and look at Minjee, who fell asleep on Tao's shoulder. "Is there a Ms. Lim here?" he repeated.

"Wake her up." Luhan whispered as he nudged Tao.

"Ah, right." Tao nodded and gently tapped Minjee, waking her up. Once she was awake, she turned her eyes to Tao then to Luhan and finally to the doctor, who luckily met her eyes at the same time. "Are you perhaps Ms. Lim?" the doctor questioned, eyeing Minjee carefully.

"A-are you perhaps looking for Lim Haewon's sister?" she timidly asked. 

"Ah, yes. I am looking for a Ms. Lim."

"That's me, but my family name is Kang, not Lim." Minjee smiled and stood up.

"Oh, my apologies. I never knew Mr. Lim's sister is already married." he laughed.

"What? No! I'm only twenty years old!" Minjee giggled, shaking her head. "He's, er, my step brother." she explained, playing with her fingers.  "Oh, apologies." the doctor grinned.

"So, sir, how is my brother? Is he okay?" Minjee asked. "Is he doing well? When'll he be released from the hospital?"

"Give him time to rest first. He can explain things better than me. Just come in and as much as possible, wait for him to wake up on his ow-"

"Doctor, Mr. Lim is awake." the assistant nurse reported as she exited the room. "He's quite asking for a girl named Kang Minjee and where she is right now."

"Oh! That's me!" Minjee excitedly said as she raised her hand. "I'm his sister! Guys!" she said, turning to EXO. "Wait for me here, alright? I'll tell you when you can enter. In the meantime, stay here, understood?"

"Alright." everyone obediently nodded and retained still in their places while Minjee entered the room, heart beating quite fast as she saw her brother lying on the bed still. Tears rolled down her cheeks as she ran beside Haewon, who was still weak and had his eyes half lidded. "Oppa!" she sobbed as she hugged Haewon tightly. "Goodness! Are you okay now? You've got me worried!" Minjee continued to whine, not letting go of her dear brother.

"Hey, I'm alright now, Minjee." Haewon smiled, ruffling his younger sister's head. "Oppa's okay now, okay? Nothing to worry anymore." he smiled. "Oppa was just super tired at work so I fainted."

"But, oppa, Donghyun-oppa said that you were vomitting too! What's wrong? Is something wrong with you? Is there something bothering you? You know you can tell me!"

"I know I can tell you all, but there's nothing to tell, dear. I was really stressed and tired of all the works here and there. You understand that, right?"

"Mhm, I do. I was just super worried. You're good now?"

"Yes."

"... Alright." Minjee smiled and headed to the door, facing her brother still. "Oppa, there are some few people I want you to meet."

"Ah, friends perhaps?" Haewon smiled.

"Mhm! Friends of mine, twelve of them!" Minjee nodded and gestured EXO to enter the room. She knew her brother is quite upset whenever he makes guy friends instead of girl friends, and with EXO, she did quite expect Haewon to be glad that she made MORE guy friends. Most of all, twelve of them! 

And upon sight of EXO, Haewon paused and became silent, shocked of twelve boys entering his room and Minjee letting them in. "Minjee... who are they?" Haewon asked, his tone cold yet stern. 

"My friends, oppa." Minjee calmly answered, a small smile on her face.

"... Minjee, boys again?" Haewon sighed deeply. "Geez, can't you make female friends once in a while? You'll look like a tomboy if you do this actions over and over again! You'll be boyish and everything! Their influences are different from your fellow female individuals!"

"Luhan-hyung looks feminine, does that count?" Baekhyun joked, looking at Luhan, but was silenced when Kris glared at him for such disrespect. 

"Oppa, they are the persons I feel the most comfortable with. Please understand that. I just can't go along with fellow females. They don't have the same vibe I have, nor the styles. I feel a lot better around EXO."

"... But... they're boys-"

"So what?"

"... Fine. It's your choice anyway." Haewon sighed, smiling faintly afterwards. "Just... don't forget to keep your privacy and space too. I'm happy whatever choice you make, but please, make female friends too in the future, okay?"

"Of course." Minjee smiled. Weird, oppa often scolds me and forces me to drive them away last time. He seems quite calm and easy going this time. Probably stress? Well, stress DOES have some good effects then!  "So... shall I introduce them?"

"Sure." Haewon nodded. "At least I should know who my sister's friends are."

"Alright! This is the eldest, Xiumin-oppa. Next is Luhan-oppa, and this is Kris-oppa , and Suho-oppa, Lay-oppa, Baekhyun-oppa, Chen-oppa, Chanyeol-oppa, D.O and Tao." she smiled. "You might know Sehun and Kai already, right? The juniors attending the same university I do."

"Yeah, I remember."

"Good!"

"It's an honor to meet you, Haewon-hyung!" the whole EXO greeted, bowing respectfully at the older male. "Same with you twelve." Haewon smiled. "By any chances, are you guys like... a group of friends or whatever?"

"It's better to say we are a group of not blood-related brothers." Suho grinned.

"Brothers?"

"Yes. Not blood-related though." Lay added. 

"... Oh. I thought you guys are, like, brothers by blood!" Haewon smiled. "So, how'd you befriend Minjee here? School? Bumped into the streets perhaps-"

"Sehun and Kai introduced them to us." Chen answered, eyeing at the youngest brothers. "Since, well, they are pretty close to Minjee here."

"Tao here was, um, a childhood friend of Minjee here." Luhan said, pointing at the pale yellow haired male beside him. "They were?"

"Yes. He's Minjee's-"

"He's a schoolmate of mine before, oppa." Minjee continued, covering Luhan's mouth quickly. "I barely noticed him but after learning that he attended the same school I did, I recalled his face."

"... Funny, I don't recall him."

"N-neither did I at first! So... you should rest for a while, hm?"

"Sure. You can stay here though." Haewon smiled.

"Alrighty then!" Minjee giggled and walked over to Tao, whispering softly. "You guys wait outside for a while. Stay here in the hospital, don't go out. I'll be out sooner or later. But if any of you is quite sleepy or tired, feel free to head straight home, alright?" she said strictly before looking at the others.

"Okay." everyone nodded and began to head off. With everyone outside, Minjee sat on the side of Haewon's bed, holding his dear brother's hand. She was just about to utter words out of again when her brother eyed her and began speaking to her astonishment. "Minjee, can I ask you one simple question?" Haewon asked.

"Sure. What is it, oppa?"

"That pale yellow headed guy... he's named Tao, right?" 

"Yes. What about Tao, oppa?"

"What's your relation with him?"

"Huh?"

"What's your relationship with him?"

"...Er-"

"Minjee, I want an honest answer." Grah, what am I to tell him? He'll break down if he knows who Tao is to me! He'll get a heart attack and die in shock and hatred and everything! Darn, he even went all through crazy when he knew someone confessed to me when I was in my third year of junior high! 

"He's... my closest friend!"

"Minjee..."

"I'm honestly speaking! Promise!"

"You're obviously telling lies though."

"How do you even- Oppa!"

"See?"

Silence. The debate in her mind whether she says that Tao is her darn boyfriend or keep it hidden for some time continues. But she needs to be honest, right? But... does making her brother furious counts?  "I-If I do tell, will you be angry at me?" Minjee nervously questioned, trying to avoid eye contact with her older brother.

"Depends with your answer." Haewon smiled.

"... I need an answer if you'll get mad!" 

"I'm just making sure anyway." 

"Wha?"

"He's your boyfriend, isn't he?"

"W-what?! How-? What gave you the way?"

"Ah, so I'm right?"

"No! I mean, yes- wait, no!"

"You're my darn sister, of course I'll know. So... just tell me, alright? Come on."

"He's a boy and a friend, yes!"

"Minjee."

"What?!"

"Answer me. You're his girlfriend and he's your boyfriend, correct?"

"... Fine! Fine! I admit! He's my boyfriend-"

"It's alright. It's kind of the right time to have one anyway." Haewon laughed, ruffling his younger sister's hair. "It's a part of life. It's okay."

"Y-you're not mad?" Minjee gasped in astonishment as she looked at Haewon, who was smiling like an angel at her for some reason. And yes, it scared a bit of her. "Of course I'm not. He does look kind of well, so... why not?"

"Oppa-!" Minjee giggled and hugged her older brother tightly, smiling and showering the older with millions of "thank you" 's and everything. Haewon, meanwhile, was simply hugging his sister back tightly, grinning and snickering as he wrapped his arms around the younger girl. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Sheesh, watch your mouth next time, Luhan-hyung!" Sehun began to scold as they walked around the hospital, waiting for Minjee to come out. "You nearly told Haewon-hyung that we're, well, not real humans."

"I know, I know. I'm sorry." Luhan cutely apologized as his doe-like eyes glimmered and stared at Sehun's eyes. "Hyung is so, so sorry. I won't repeat it ever again!"

"You better not, hyung. We'll get into real trouble if ever we do!" D.O sighed, nodding his head. As the group stopped and sat down finally, Tao seem to notice Kris in a small trance and with a snap of his finger, Kris snapped out. "Gege, are you okay? You look dazed." Tao asked, raising a brow at the older one.

"Mhm. I'm just thinking." Kris nodded.

"Thinking of what perhaps, Yifan?" Xiumin questioned.

"Things." 

"That isn't quite a help, Kris."

"I know, just let me be." Kris sighed softly and leaned on the seat. Soon, Chen, together with Kai, headed to the counter to ask a few questions abuot Haewon. Noticing that the two quickly earned a conversation with the nurse, the other ten walked towards them and began to listen to whatever the three were talking about.

"Ah, yes, Mr. Lim was brought here by a guy named Donghyun. Why ask?" the nurse questioned.

"What's Donghyun's relation with Haewon?" Chen asked as if he was a detective of some sort. 

"They're friends, as what I have heard. I could quite recall that they are work mates." 

"Ah. Perhaps, what time did they bring him here?" Kai asked next.

"Exactly twenty three minutes before you fellow came to the hospital panicking." the nurse answered cooly, smiling a little to Kai and Chen.

"Geez, what's with you two? You're acting like investigators or something!" Chanyeol cried as he tried prying the two away from the counter, but the two refused and simply nudged the taller brother softly.

"Something's just bothering me." Kai softly said and turned to the counter again. "Um, noona."

"Yes?"

"Er... d-do you perhaps know Haewon-hyung?" he asked, titling his head a bit to the left. 

"Oh, I don't personally know him. He's just a familiar face here in the hospital."

"Familiar face?" Suho scowled. "What do you mean?"

"That he visits the hospital often?" D.O added.

"Exactly, sir." the nurse nodded diligently, answering their questions with ease. "Mr. Lim always, I mean, always, visits the hospital every now and then to get the right medications he need." 

"... Then this musn't be the first time he visited the hospital, hm?" Lay asked, earning a nod from the female nurse within seconds. "That only means one thing..-"

"This isn't Haewon-hyung's first visit in the hospital!" Baekhyun exclaimed as he brought his hands together and making a soft clap sound as the thought emerged and formed clearly.

"Wait... medication?" Sehun asked. "For what?"

"He's suffering an illness, sir." the nurse replied.

"What illness particularly?" Kris questioned.

"I cannot tell. Mr. Lim told me not to tell anything about his sickness."

"We have the right to know. His sister needs to know, we need to know." Kris insisted as he walked closer to the counter. "It must be serious as Haewon needs daily medication."

"It's not daily, sir-"

"Answer me. What's his illness."

A moment of silence crossed the area as the nurse was sent into a deep thinking whether she says answers that the twelve desires or she can divert their question away and lie. But by the looks of it, they aren't the naive types, therefore, she can't lie just like that. She was left with no choice but to tell the truth.

"Alright. I'll tell you whatever sickness Mr. Lim is suffering." the nurse sighed in defeat as she helplessly raised her eyes to the twelve men waiting for the answer she will speak.

"Tell us." Suho commanded, making the female nod helplessly.

"I'll tell you men but promise me that no one, including his younger sister, must know. It's only between us, no one else-!" the nurse warned. "I gave my word to Mr. Lim and no one must know... especially his sibling."

"Alright. The information will be safe with us." Kris nodded.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Mr. Lim has stomach cancer." 

"What?!"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"... My brother has stomach cancer?" Minjee gasped as she heard the words come out of the nurse's lips. Time stopped in her world and everything was just breaking apart.

Stomach cancer?

Haewon-oppa has stomach cancer?

No.

No.

I'm not loosing him...

...Am I?

Stomach cancer and Haewon-oppa...

No..

This reality is broke!

BROKEN REALITY!

"Minjee-noona!" Kai called out as he saw Minjee fall down on the cold floor, unconscious.