XXVI

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Minjee." Tao called out as he eyed the female beside her, seemingly in a trance. Her body was clad in black, and her white skin stood out greatly. Her black hair was tied in a neat ponytail. Her face was unusually blank, compared to other days, this emotionless face of hers was just too different and uncomfortable. 

On the other seats, EXO sat quietly, clad in black. There was silence, a defeaning silence, the atmosphere filled by nothing but silence, whispers and sobs.

It's been a week now since Lim Haewon passed away. There was a big impact to his family, especially to their mother! In front of the emotionless, dazed Minjee was her step mother, Lim Soonmi, sobbing beside her dead son. The white coffin fits with Haewon's peaceful look of eternal slumber. Around them were white roses and white candles, lit up with an orange colored flame. Everyone was silent, and that was only broken by light cries and sobs from the guests.

Soon, Minjee stood up and glanced at her brother yet again. Her eyes scanned how peaceful her brother looked inside the white coffin. He was dressed in one of of the best suits they picked. It was the same color as his coffin... white. His face was still in a light shade of pinkish white, seemingly keeping the life on his self, despite ceasing already.

It's been a week of Haewon ceasing the earthly realm.

A week of pain. That's what Minjee would always think. Her smile was invisible for seven days, she didn't smile, giggle or even showed a streak of light feeling or relief. It pained everyone, and that includes her family, her aquaintances and EXO. Most of all, her boyfriend, Tao. 

"Minjee." Tao called out once again, tapping her shoulder. With souless eyes, she looked up at the male standing close to her. Her face was seemingly blank yet in her eyes, the pale yellow headed male saw agony and pain. He hated it and he had no choice but to look away, away from Minjee's eyes. "Your brother is in a better place, Minjee."

"I know that." she nodded slowly. "With dad and mom, surely." 

"... Right." Tao nodded and slowly headed back to his seat upon seeing Minjee speaking with no soul at all. It pained him more to see his girl like that. He sat beside Kris, who was seemingly dazed as well. Of course, who wouldn't be if a friend so dear to you passed away just like that! For Kris, it was painful and more painful to hold back the tears that threatened to fall down his eyes any second now.

"I feel pity for Kris-hyung." Baekhyun softly whispered to D.O.

"Who wouldn't be if a dear companion ceased just like that?" D.O scowled at the older. 

"Such few days to make up those lost time..." Lay sighed as he hung his head low. 

"Indeed." Chen noddd in agreement. "It was such a  frustration to have Haewon-hyung leave this realm in such a short time. Such short time to take up those times with his sister."

"Along with this, it's been years since Kris-hyung last saw his master." Luhan added in a soft tone. "And with those few days of seeing him suffer was rather painful!" 

"Then why didn't we do anything to help?" Kai suddenly blurted out, eyeing his older brothers.

"It's not that easy, Jongin." Chanyeol stated out in a serious tone. "It's not something to do willy-nilly."

"But, look!" Sehun softly cried. "Everyone is in pain, including Haewon-hyung's mother and Minjee-noona too! It pains them and us and Minjee-noona! It's just too painful."

"Try to understand." Suho whispered. "Saving someone, especially humans, is not that easy, Sehun. It costs lots of consequences none of us can tolerate."

In defeat, the two youngest brothers nodded and sighed heavily, not wanting to look up and witness the sadness Haewon's family and friends were having. It was too much.

The sound of faint footsteps alerted Kris and in a blink, he saw Lim Soonmi standing in front of him, wiping her tears away with a cream colored handkerchief. "Mr. Wu?" she called out, obviously having her eyes on the golden haired male, who later on raised his head to look at the older woman. "Are you Kris Wu?" she asked.

"Yes." he nodded. "Is there something of matter?" he worriedly asked.

"Oh, no. I heard you from Haewon." she smiled despite the pain. "You two were great friends according to him, true?"

"We were pretty close but we lost contacts of each other after he finished his second year in junior highschool." Kris stated out, biting his lip. "I-it was pretty much disappointing to know that he ceased just like that."

"Indeed. Very painful." Soonmi nodded before her eyes met the eleven boys whose heads were hung low. "Are they supposed to be your friends or something else?" she questioned, pointing at the males.

"They are my non-blood related brothers, ma'am." he answered as he faced his eleven brothers. 

"Oh, interesting-"

"Mom." Minjee called out as she stood beside her step mother, her face as blank as usual. With only her eyes, she was capable of communicating with Soonmi and that made the older female face the twelve yet again and put up the fairest smile, similar to that of Minjee carries around. "Excuse me for a while." she smiled and bowed. With that, she takes her leave, walking beside her step child.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The day finally came to a slow end. The burial ended and all were just having some time together, especially among the family members. Minjee saw some relatives she has in her step-mother's side. Aunts, uncles, cousins, everyone. The boys were even quite amazed on how a female like her were not shedding tears in an ocassion like this! 

But most of all, everyone was stunned by her beauty. She shone in her pretty black dress and black veil. Her red lipstick completed everything and her blank expression made everyone see her as someone independent and cool.

"Minjee's having a hard time." Chanyeol stated out as he watched the female from a far with his brothers.

"Who, in her situation, wouldn't?" Suho sighed heavily, pitying Minjee's situation.

"Go approach her. It would help." Lay adviced as he tapped Tao's shoulder. 

"I might make things worse, ge." Tao frowned as he shot a worried look at his older brother. "And why would her mate make everything worse, hm?" Baekhyun smiled as he gave the younger a light nudge, followed by a gentle push.

"Go on, Zitao. Man up." Luhan nodded. Obeying the older ones, Tao nodded and slowly approached the female, who was dazed as usual. She sat beside her mother, who was busy chatting with her relatives, younger and older. "Minjee." he called out in a hardly audible voice, but thankfully, she heard it loud and clear as she raised her head to see the pale-yellow headed male standing in front of her.

"Yes?" she blinked as she stood up. 

"... Nothing." he tried saying, smiling faintly. "I'm just worried. A lot."

"I see." she smiled faintly as she blushed a light shade of pink, rubbing her nape. "M-may I ask how Kris-oppa is doing? Is he doing well now?"

"Still dazed. The others are trying to comfort him with the best they could." he reported, nodding his head. "So, um, you...?"

"What about me?"

"... What's your plan after this day?" he questioned, making Minjee tap her chin and cross her arms on her chest. She looked around and saw that no one was actually paying attention to her and with that, she sighed. "Let's talk somewhere else. Fetch everyone." she ordered as she pointed outside the hall. "I'll meet you outside."

"Alright." Tao nodded and walked back to his brothers while Minjee began to walk out of the hall. With a few minutes passing, the twelve went out and met Minjee, who was patiently waiting for the twelve.

"So... Tao told us to come here." D.O said in worry. "What's wrong? Are you alright?" he questioned, eyeing the female, who had her blank expression replaced by a rather anxious and unsure one.

"What'll happen now?" Sehun asked, a streak of worry visible in his black eyes. "Is noona leaving too?"

"Sehun! Stop giving her ideas like that!" Kai literally yelled before punching the younger's shoulder without hestiation, making the silver headed one wail in pain and return the attack to the reddish-brown headed one.

"Stop it, you two." Xiumin scolded. "Act like grown ups for the love of Pete!" 

"So, back to the question." Chen said. "What's gonna happen to you?"

"... Mom wants me to live with her again. I guess I would have to transfer schools and everything." she sighed heavily as she avoided the males' eyes. "And that means I'm going to be separated from you guys..."

"What?" everyone gasped in surprise.

"Minjee, you know we cannot leave you, especially in a situation like this!" Luhan cried in shock as he shook his head vigurously. "What might happen to you lies in the future and we stand beside you to prevent that happening!"

"You might be in worse trouble with us not around." Baekhyun stated out in fear. "We are here to protect you, remember? The twelve of us."

"... I know that, but... it's not like I have a choice." Minjee breathed out, fighting back the tears threatening to roll down her cheeks. "I wouldn't want to leave neither."

"Then don't!" Tao said as he held Minjee's hands tightly. "Please, I don't want you away again. Not anymore."

"I'm sorry." Minjee sighed as she lets go of Tao's hand, her head hung low. "I'm really sorry..."

"There is another option." Kris spoke up, making everyone's eyes fall on him. His emotionless face was frightening, but everyone was capable to tolerate that. "What is it, hyung?" Chanyeol asked as he tilted his head. "There's no other option-"

"-There is." Kris cuts as he eyed Minjee's family, then back at Minjee. "Live with us."

"What? Are you insane?" Minjee questioned as she scowled. "No one would permit a young girl like me live along with twelve men! Especially my mother!"

"Leave it to me." Kris smiled. "Besides, I kept a promise to a special someone to take good care of his sister."

"... Really now?" Minjee giggled and nodded. "Alright. I'd pick that option of living along with you guys if you deal with my mom and convince her to let me do so."

"Accepted." the yellow-headed leader nods and afterwards, walked towards Minjee's mother, much to her surprise. A few minutes passed and she saw her step mother gesture her and the eleven to come closer. Obeying without hesitation, she began to walk towards her in a rather nervous pace. 

"Y-yes?" she nervously asked as she eyed her step mother, Soonmi.

"Mr. Wu here told me of the idea him and his brothers proposed." Soonmi stated out, crossing her arms. 

"W-what idea perhaps do you speak, mom?"

"Don't play all innocent on me like your brother does, Minjee." Soonmi frowned. "The idea of you living with them as you pursue your studies instead of coming along with me... back home."

"T-true." Minjee nodded shyly. "W-why?"

"... You want that?" she asks again, making Minjee gulp harder. With a slight nod, her mother nods as well and puts up an honest smile before patting her shoulder. "That's my girl." she smiled and nodded. "Being independent and strong-willed like her dad!"

"Mom-"

"-I permit you." Soonmi smiled. "Just promise me that you'll be alright, okay? Even without your brother or me, you'll be okay."

"I promise, mom." she smiled and gave her stepmother a tight hug as tears spilled down her eyes. "Thanks, I won't ever let you down. I'll come back to you with great pride and as a great woman."

"I expect that from you, Kang Minjee." she nods. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Minjee."

"Minjee!"

"Minjee-noona!"

Two days had passed so quickly. Since the burial, Minjee was getting ready, and was actually thinking twice whether she should move with EXO or not. Those days were full of confusion and nervousness. She was doubting as well. Well, living with eleven males is no joke at all! Haewon-oppa, please tell me this is the right decision... she would often pray as she sat alone.

And the day finally came.

"Oh, you guys came at the right time!" Minjee greeted as she saw Tao, Sehun, Kris and Chanyeol in front of her door to fetch her. "Are you ready to go?" Tao asks her as he saw the luggages on her bag.

"Those are lots of things, noona!" Sehun emphasized with his eyes largening a bit. "Those are lots!"

"Yes. I've got lots of belongings actually." Minjee giggled in a shy matter. "Can you guys carry them around with ease though?"

"What do you expect from wolves like us?" Kris smiled as he gestured some of his brothers to get Minjee's luggages while the others, to lead the way. Without wasting any more seconds, the group went into action.

It only took a while and before they knew it, the group had arrived back home. Everyone gave Minjee a rather warm welcome as Kai ran and hugged her without hesitation. To her surprise, the warm welcome of EXO seemingly healed her pain. They were there not only as friends but as a family she has now. Twelve men standing as her friends, juniors, protectors and of course, as a family too.

"Welcome to our family, noona!" Kai excitedly said, holding her arms.

"Hey, I already am part of your family, Kai!" Minjee giggled as she pinched the younger yet taller's cheeks. "Sheesh, you are just too cute, aren't you?"

"Correction, Jongin is the cool one." D.O smiled and eyed Luhan. "He is the cute one."

"Hey! I am manly, darn it! Get it right, Kyungsoo!" Luhan pouted as he heard the word "cute" being shot to him. "I am manly!"

"Yeah right, hyung." Sehun softly giggled, nearly inaudible to anyone in the room. Minjee hurried and unpacked her things, finally moving in with EXO officially. Of course, beside her was Tao, who refused to leave her side even for a single second. 

Thankfully, there was an extra room in their residence, and that room is Minjee's new room. It has complete furnitures, and so, it wasn't that hard to adjust. It was as if EXO had that room ready for her... or did they?

"Like your new room, Minjee?" Lay asked as he knelt down and helped the young lady sort out things. 

"Yes. It's really spacious for me, oppa. Thank you." she smiled and nodded her head. "I never knew you had a spare room, oppa. Who owns this?"

"This used to be Kris-hyung's room in the past." he said as he folded a few shirts of Minjee's. "But now, it's all yours."

"Thank you so much." she smiled. "I appreciate your kindness... all of you."

"From now on, we are your family as well, so feel normal, okay?" 

"I'll bear that in mind, oppa." she smiled faintly as she brought her attention back into sorting her things and unpacking this and that. Sooner or later, Lay was replaced by Tao, who helped her this time, chatting at her and clinging on her like the typical times. Of course, that made the emotionally-tired female smile and giggle at times. But that didn't mean that she was alright already.

"Minjee, after you unpack things, do you mind if we, just the two of us, maybe-" Tao suggested, but was eventually cut off when he noticed Minjee wasn't paying attention at all. That made him sigh and frown.

"Maybe what?" Minjee asked, smiling like an angel. "Go on a date or something?"

"... I-I was thinking of a light walk around, will that be okay?"

"Sure." she nodded and smiled. "You go help your brothers for the meantime. After lunch, maybe we can go."

"Alright!" he smiled cutely and ran out of the room.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Lunch soon passed and the two were finally out in Seoul, just the two of them. Minjee was dressed in a rather cute fashion and Tao was dressed in a cool outfit: a perfect match indeed. The two held hands, and now that they are officially a couple, they didn't mind such. Anyways, since before they became one, they found such action quite normal already.

Without them actually noticing it, they came by to their favorite spot:

The park.

"So, Minjee." Tao started, making Minjee, who was currently busy sipping on her fruit smoothie, look at him, blinking her eyes in a rather cute manner. "How are you?"

"What do you mean?" she asked, tilting her head. 

"How are you. Simple as that."

"... Not fine." she sighed and hung her head low. "I'm still feeling the pain of loosing a family member. That pain I felt back then when I had my mom and dad taken away from me."

"It must feel very painful, eh?"

"Like you're being cute by a knife."

"... That does feel very painful."

"Yes. It does."

"... I'm sorry I had to bring that up." Tao apologized as his eyes slowly got teary. "Sheesh, don't cry, my wolf!" Minjee laughed and wiped the tears about to spill down his eyes. "You didn't do anything. In fact, if you didn't ask that, I wouldn't be able to actually describe my emotions now. You helped."

"I did...?"

"Yup! Thanks!" she smiled and held his hand tightly.

"... I'll promise one thing to you." Tao suddenly said in a rather soft voice. "Oh, and what in earth might that be, hm, Huang Zitao?" Minjee excitedly asked as she eyed the pale-yellow headed male's eyes.

"That I won't let Minjee cry again." he smiled honestly. "Because... it's like I'm being cut by a knife all through-out whenever you do. It pains me. Therefore, I won't let Minjee cry again... nor be sad. I'm always here for you, remember that."

"Tao-"

"-No matter what. I'll stay by your side like I always did back then. I'm never going to leave you nor make you sad in the future. I'll be your man and everything."

"Tao, stop it, you-"

"And that's not the end yet." he smiled and tightened his grip on Minjee's hand. "Remember the fact that a wolf grows weak whenever he's in love?"

"Yes. What about it?"

"And that I'm the fragile wolf in the pack?"

"Well, yes. Why?"

"Even if being with you results to my death, I won't give it up. I won't leave you and let you cry again over pain." he smiled and giggled, watching the female flush into a bright shade of pink.

"Aw, you!" she giggled, hugging the male tightly. "Thank you. At least I know someone wouldn't leave me. Thank you." she giggled, hugging the male tightly.

"... I love you." she whispered, nearly inaudible.

But those words were clearly heard by Tao's ears.

"I love you too, my dear." he giggled.