XIX

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Good morning." Haewon yawned as he wobbled out of his room with his bed-hair still unfixed and his eyes squinted to adjust with the bright light. To his surprise, Minjee, his sister, was busy munching her breakfast and was already dressed in her white blouse and dark blue jeans. Her hair was still wet and a towel was around her shoulders. "Someone's early." Haewon laughed as he walked towards Minjee.

"Good morning, and yes, miraculously, I woke early." she giggled and looked at her older brother. "I made breakfast, tell me how it is."

"... Are you sure you didn't poison in 'em, didn't you?"

"Idiot!" she pouted as she playfully hit her brother. "Just eat the darn food before I shove it up your darn mouth!"

"... Woah, calm yourself, woman." Haewon chuckled and ruffled his sister's hair. "I'm sure these taste well! Don't worry~"

"Of course it does! This is my specialty!"

"Wha? I thought pastries were your specialties?"

"Whatever." she laughed and invited her brother to eat with her. Together, they ate Minjee's self-made breakfast and chatted like typical days. They chatted how each other's lives were going, and so far, the two were extremely glad to hear that both of them are doing just fine. Haewon has a steady business going on and Minjee's studies are same as always, and if she pushes much more effort, there's no doubt that she'll have a great advantage!

But something bothered Minjee. It was the stress that falls on her brother everytime he works and she is not happy with such. She wants Haewon to rest at times too, but it seems Haewon always takes resting aside. "Oppa." she called out, making Haewon stop eating and eye his sister.

"What's wrong?" he asked, blinking a few times.

No, I can't. "I'll be late for school now." she smiled and stood up. "I'll go now. Be careful at work, okay? Do your best!" she smiled as she got her bag and swung it on her shoulder. Her smile was pasted on her face as she headed to the door, but once she grabbed the doorknob, she turned around and dropped her bag, running to her brother as she gave him a tight hug.

"Woah, what's with you and your early hugs?" Haewon laughed as he looked at his sister hugging him. "Something wrong? Are you sick or something, Kang Minjee?"

"Can't this little sister just hug her big brother for no reason?" she smiled. In reality, all she wanted was to have at least one day with her brother. You're always at work, that's why. she quietly thought as she slowly loosen her hug to the taller guy. "Well, I'll be going now." she smiled and skipped out of the door, grabbing her bag. "See you later!"

"Oh, right. About that..." Haewon softly said as he scratched his head. "Minjee..."

"... Don't tell me, you're having-"

"Yeah. Sorry." Haewon sighed. "I need to go overtime again. You know why, right?"

"... Yes."

"And you understand that?"

"Mhm."

"Very good. I'll make it up to you soon." he smiled. "Now, hurry and go to school now, Minjee."

"Okay~ See you!" she smiled and skipped out of the house. Her smile slowly vanished as the thought retained in her mind. Sometimes, she just hated Haewon's work, but she knows that he does them for a reason. A well reason, yet the contradicting part is that he's pushing himself to the limit already. One day, she knows something bad will happen if he keeps this up.

Oppa. she sighed as she simply tried brushing those thoughts away. She knew this was another typical and dull day until she heard a voice call out for her out of no where.

"Good morning, mistress." a soft voice greeted, making Minjee jolt up in astonishment before she looks around in confusion. "Who's out there?" she asked as she kept looking left, right and behind. "Show yourself."

"Ever heard of 'looking up', eh, Minjee?"

To her surprise, Minjee saw Tao sitting comfortably at their house's roof. Roof. "Holy mother of-! Tao! Get down from there before you hurt yourself!" Minjee cried in astonishment. "Quickly!"

"Sheesh, calm down." Tao giggled and casually jumped down, landing on both feet. "I'm a wolf, I'm not your typical human-guy next door. My abilities compared to humans are way higher in standards."

"Even still!" Minjee pouted. "What are you doing here?"

"Just dropping by to say good morning~"

"You-!" she laughed and playfully hit the male's chest lightly. "Seriously, why are you here? How long have you been here?"

"I just came here a few minutes ago. I thought I could walk you to school today, well, if it's okay. And I suppose I should keep an eye out for you since, well, you know." Tao pathetically explained.

"Okay, okay. Let's go then!" she smiled and linked her arms around Tao's and walked off with the yellow-haired man. "Hey, where's Sehun and Kai though?"

"... Most probably, they just left home. When I left, they were still asleep." Tao smiled.

"Ah, they were? I hope they don't get to be late!"

"Surely they won't. With D.O's non-stop wake up calls, they'll be up once he shouts."

"Ah, that's adorable!"

"What? It's not! It's hell!"

"I think it's adorable." she smiled.

"... You're just weird."

"I know, thank you." she giggled and continued walking off. Together, the two walked to Minjee's school, chatting and talking about anything.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Upon arriving, Minjee spotted Sehun and Kai, and to her surprise indeed, the two came earlier than them. Hurrying, Minjee ran towards them and greeted the youngsters warmly. As usual, the two greeted with hugs as Tao let go of Minjee. "Do your best!" Tao smiled as he waved the three good bye.

"You'll fetch us later, right, hyung?" Sehun asked, still hugging Minjee tightly.

"Sure. I will." the yellow-headed one nodded. "For the mean time, focus well!"

"We will!" Sehun and Kai nodded. Minjee nodded along and smiled as Tao walked off, out of the school campus, but to her surprise, Tao came running back, smiling, before he hugs the shorter female tightly, wrapping her cozily around his arms, much to Minjee's astonishment. "Woah-! What are you up to?" Minjee cried in shock.

"Forgot to say good bye." Tao laughed and ruffled Minjee's hair, earning a soft squeal from his younger brothers, Sehun and Kai. After glaring at the two, he lets go of the female and went off, waving to the three. As a reply, the three waved back happily before walking off to classes.

With a new day starting yet again, Minjee turned her moods up high and her face was as bright as ever. Things were beginning to go according to her ways for once. Who knows, maybe her day will too?

"Noona." Kai called out as he tugged the older's arm before she truly walked off.

"Something wrong?" Minjee asked.

"Can we take our lunch together?"

"Like we always do, Jongin! Like we always do!" she giggled. "Fetch me at my classes, okay?"

"Okay, noona. Do well in class!"

"Same to you, kids! Do well!"

With that, the three parted in no time, heading to their own classes and all. The morning bell rang and echoed throughout the whole school campus. Every student hurried to their own classes in no time, starting another typical day yet again, of boring lessons and head-exploding studies.

Hours passed quick. Without anyone even knowing it, the bell rang yet again. Everyone hurried to meet their friends and have lunch all together. Kai and Sehun rushed out of their room as well, hurrying to fetch their Minjee-noona from her room. Unfortunately, their class were still running and the two youngsters had to wait outside. Patiently.

Minutes passed, ten minutes, to be exact. Minjee's class were finally dismissed from their classes. Together, the three hurried to their favorite spot and ate their meals. Afterwards, they chatted.

It was just like any other day.

The day passed before they knew it. Before they knew it, the day had ended, and Minjee found herself standing outside Sehun and Kai's classroom. She was waiting for quite some time before the silver headed and the reddish-brown haired man headed out and instantly hugged her. "Noona!" the two cried out as they saw Minjee.

"Hey!" Minjee greeted happily. "Say, let's get going now, hm?" she giggled and linked her arms around the two. "Tao must be here any moment now."

"Okay!" the two nodded. Hurrying, the three sprinted out, hoping that Tao would be there. Of course, to their surprise, he wasn't, very much to Minjee's disappointment.

"Kris-hyung? Lay-hyung? What are you two doing here?" Sehun asked as he saw his older brothers standing beside the school gates. "Where's Tao-hyung?"

"Somewhere." Kris cooly answered as he eyed Minjee. "Lay will take you two back home while Minjee comes along with me."

"What? Where are you taking me this time?" Minjee playfully asked, crossing her arms. "You do know that you're not my wolf anymore, Kris-oppa."

"I am completely aware of that, but hey, just follow me." Kris smiled and offered his hand to Minjee. "I'm sure, you'd like this place."

"... Really? No lies?"

"Since when did I ever lie to you?"

"Days ago?"

"... That was a white lie, learn the difference there. Come on." he said and grabbed Minjee's hand tightly and ran off, leaving Lay, Sehun and Kai dumbfounded before they started walking down the streets as well, heading home finally as the day comes to an end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Oppa, seriously, where are you taking me?" Minjee curiously asked as she kept nudging Kris. "I wanna go home." she cutely cried as she struggled.

"Seriously, you'll love this place." Kris smiled as they kept walking. "I promise."

"And if I don't?"

"... I doubt that even!" the taller laughed as he continued walking to wherever Minjee has no idea of. Still walking, Minjee slowly grew impatient and stopped on her tracks, making Kris wonder. "What's wrong?" Kris asked as he saw the younger stop walking. "Is something wron-"

"I want to go home. Now." Minjee frowned. "I don't want to go anywhere."

"But-"

"Forget it." she sighed and swatted Kris' hand on hers. "I'd rather go home alone if you won't walk me home. I want to be with Tao, not you."

Surprised, Kris was left frozen for seconds as Minjee walked the opposite direction, retrailing back her tracks and walking off, further and further. After realizing what was going on, Kris acted fast and swung the younger girl onto his shoulders, hands holding her waist and walking back towards their destination.

"Kris-oppa! Put me down this instant!" Minjee cried as she flailed her arms and hit Kris' back. Despite these, Kris ignored them and continued walking with Minjee flailing her arms and kicking her legs. "Seriously! Let me go!"

"No." Kris laughed and continued walking. Giving up, Minjee decided to wait and simply lay there, quietly. It took about a few more minutes until they reached the bridge she and Tao once went to. It was getting dark and Minjee knew that the lights would be sooner or later.

"Why are we here?" Minjee asked as she was dropped by Kris carefully.

To her surprise, Kris didn't reply to her question, but began to talk really loud. "Seriously, if you're going to make me fetch her, next time, warn me about how she flails and kicks!" Kris cried out of no where, confusing Minjee.

"Who are you talking to?" she asked.

"To your darn wolf." Kris smiled. It made Minjee more confused, there was no one there but her and Kris.

Or so she thought.

"I never knew she flails or kicks, gege." Tao laughed as he appeared out of the shadows. "Sorry."

"Tao? What... what's going on?" she asked as she eyed the brothers. "Is this some prank you're pulling off again? Seriously, what's up?"

"He'll explain the details to you instead." Kris smiled and pushed Minjee towards Tao. "I'll be going now, you two. Don't want to ruin your lovely moment, brother." he teased and walked off, dispersing in the darkness. Still clueless, Minjee looked at Tao and blinked a few times. "Mind explaining?" Minjee pouted. "I've been too clueless."

"Hey, I just want to make it up to you. Last time, you didn't see the lights-" Tao said, but was initially cut off by Minjee talking yet again.

"I did see the lights before!" Minjee countered.

"Yes, with Kris-gege. Originally, I planned to let you see the lights with me, but..."

"Ah, I get it." she smiled and held Tao's hand. "Let's watch it together then!"

"... Really?"

"Hey! It was your original plan. Plus, it's been seven years since we came here, remember? I've been dying to watch the water lights again with you!" she giggled.

"...Okay." Tao smiled and nodded. To be honest, he did recall every memory he had with Minjee, including that memory they had in the very same place. The clock ticked and tocked and soon, the time has arrived. The water falling from the bridge was covered in various colors. It was exactly the most beautiful thing, and nothing had even changed since seven years!

It was still beautiful.

"Tao, don't you think this is beautiful?" little Minjee asked as she knelt down at Tao's level. Tao, being a wolf he is, incapable of speech, nodded and tried seeing the lights, yet he failed. Noticing this, Minjee carefully carried the wolf on her arms with all her might and made him see the various colors of the water. His eyes sparkled by the sight. It was magnificent!

"It's beautiful, right?" Minjee asked yet again. Of course, once again, he nodded happily. "I want to go here with Haewon-oppa one day, of course, with you too! And maybe with mom too. They never went here yet."

"... Do you think they'll love this?" she asked, just to be answered by another nod from Tao. His eyes were twinkling. "I think so too." she happily nodded and reverted her eyes at the lights.

"Hey, Tao!" Minjee smiled as she hugged her wolf tightly. "One day, when we're both grown up, we'll visit this place again, what do you say?"

And as if Minjee understood Tao's words, the bark was a "yes" for her. "Great! One time, one day, just you and me again..."

"... We'll visit this place once again." Tao finished as he held Minjee's hand, making Minjee jolt and look at Tao. "Said something, Tao?" Minjee asked.

"Oh, no, nothing." he smiled. "I'm just glad we got to watch the lights again... after years."

"... Yeah. It's like those days." she giggled. "Just like those days."

"... Oh! I forgot!" Tao said and ran towards the nearest tree, making Minjee turn around and look at the taller guy. Soon, he came back with a turquoise colored ballon on his hand. "Here." he smiled.

"A balloon?" Minjee blinked. "What for?"

"Remember that time you lost that balloon you bought when you were twelve?" Tao smiled and handed it to Minjee. "I just thought I can bring it back by getting something similar to it."

"You... did?" Minjee smiled and received the balloon as she hugged Tao. "I can't believe you still remember that moment! It's been years, you know!"

"I know, but hey, I'll never forget that time! You cried so hard your eyes became swollen!"

"... I know." she laughed. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." he smiled and held Minjee's hand before watching the lights again. Minjee soon placed her head on Tao's shoulder, holding his hand back, squeezing it softly as well. It was enough. Moments like these were the ones Minjee and Tao both liked the most. It might be silent, but it doesn't mean words are the only ones to be used to communicate, but the beating of hearts as well.

"Thank you, Huang Zitao, my dear wolf." Minjee softly said as she closed her eyes, savoring this moment. Tao heard her words loud and clear and yes, he didn't reply no more. He was definitely satisfied with the moment they had. He savored the moment and soon, his arm was around Minjee's shoulder, pulling her close to him.

"It's getting late." Tao softly said as he held her hand. "Come on, I should walk you home."

"... Okay. Let's go." Minjee nodded and followed Tao's steps.

A few more walking, Minjee and Tao continued talking about these and that, never running out of ideas and topics to talk about. They kept on talking and at times of silence, their hearts were the ones to communicate, like old times. It was always like that, nothing really changed.

Or was it?

"Holy-! There's an accident!" Minjee gasped as she saw a bloody scene, metres away only. She grew weak and leaned on Tao for support. She's been afraid of these scenes since her parents died in front of her when she was ten.

But to her surprise, Tao stood there, frozen.

"Tao?" Minjee blinked as she looked at the taller guy. To her surprise, his eyes were beginning to glow red yet again. Once she raised her head up to see the sky, the full moon shone. It was teasing Tao, and she knew that. His beast would be out any time and she needs to stop that or both of them are in big trouble!

"Tao! Get a hold of yourself." Minjee softly said as she squeezed Tao's hand tighter and shook him lightly. "Please, gain control of your mind."

"... Get me outta here." Tao softly commanded, which Minjee complied to. Hurrying, she dragged Tao away where the scent of the teasing blood would no longer reach him. To her frustration though, it was uneffective. Tao was still in a trance and his eyes were bright scarlet.

"Tao!"

Devour her. Devour her, Tao.

"Snap out of it!"

Eat her. She's a prey. You're a predator, eat her.

"Tao! Huang Zitao!"

You're hunger shouldn't be kept. Fill yourself with her, Tao. Devour her already. Stop enduring.

"Minjee." Tao growled as his fangs grew sharper and longer. With quick moves, he found himself pinning the shorter female to the wall, her wrists grabbed by his hands. Shivering in fear, Minjee kept quiet and simply stared at Tao with courage.

And for some reason, Tao snapped out, his eyes reverted back to its real color. His fangs grew shorter and he finally reverted back to his old self. Confusion. That was what he had in mind. "I'm sorry. I lost control." Tao softly apologized.

"It's okay. I understand you." Minjee smiled and hugged him. "It's okay. Take me home now, okay? Please?"

"Sure." Tao panted and held the female's hand.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"I'm home." Tao softly said as he entered their house. As always, his brothers welcomed him yet again. "How'd it go, dear brother?" Chanyeol playfully asked.

"Was your date wonderful?" Baekhyun added.

"Did she squealed?" Chen added.

"Kids, please! They simply had those moments that includes only them!" Suho cried, silencing the trio.

"Isn't that called a date though, hyung?" D.O questioned.

"It's not a date!... Was it?" Suho asked, eyeing Tao. "It wasn't a date." Tao giggled. "I need to discuss things with you guys though. Now."

"What's wrong?" Sehun asked.

"Something wrong, Zitao?" Xiumin questioned.

"Did you devour someone infront of Minjee?" Lay nervously questioned.

"No, gege. Not that." Tao sighed. "I think I'm-"

"You're?" Kris blinked. "Spit it out."

"... I think I'm in love."

"With?"

"Minjee of course! Who else?!"

"... Ridiculous." Kris laughed.

"Exactly. You cannot fall in love with a human, remember?" Kai giggled. "That's crappy talk, Tao-hyung!"

"Plus, she's a prey and we're predators. We are wolves and she's simply a beauty." Luhan sighed. "Keep your head together, please. You'll fall if that ever happens."

"I know." Tao sighed. "What do I do?"

"Rest." Kris said. "You should rest for now. It's just stress. Go on, I'll wake you up when it's time to eat."

"... Yes,gege."

Once the younger was out, Kris sighed and faced his brothers. As expected, everyone knew what the "duizhang" was thinking about. Everyone did.

How can that human steal a beast's heart? Kris thought.

"Tao, keep yourself together. For EXO. For the pack." Kris softly mumbled as he plopped down the couch.