XVIII

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Kris-gege! Where the heck are you?" Tao called out as he ran down the streets of alleys. Fury began to rise up bit by bit every step and cry he gave out. He was just so angry about everything and anything. "I swear if I really find that darn gold-haired guy-!"

Hurrying down the streets, Tao finds himself attracted to a nearby park. It was already getting dark since the sun's beginning to set. The lights of Seoul began to lit up and began to transform the once buzzing city into a colorfully-lit up place. It was beautiful, but can Tao mind that now? Definitely not.

With that scene aside, Kris, Minjee and Lay were in the same park Tao decided to enter. Soon, Lay decided to give the two some moments for themselves alone, and went off to meet his brothers in the city and simply observe from afar.  Together, the two skipped off together, chatting and of course, holding each other's hand.

"Hey, why did Lay-oppa take us here anyway?" Minjee asked as she looked up at Kris. "Is there something he's planning? Or are you planning anything?"

"If I were, you'd see it right on my eyes." Kris smiled. "And besides, I don't even have any ideas what he is up to."

"... Well, whatever it is, it's gotta be interesting, or you'll have to head me home now."

"If I would be the one to decide, I'd rather walk you home already. It's dangerous for us to stay longer out here, y'know."

"I know. Other wolves might attack out of the blue?"

"Exactly."

"Well, take me home then!"

"Alright." he nodded and began walking, but soon, he stopped on his tracks, making Minjee wonder slightly and look at Kris. "Something wrong, oppa?" she worriedly asked, eyeing the taller.

"Maybe we should stay here a bit more." Kris suggested and turned around to face Minjee, squeezing her hand lightly. "Let's take a nice, night stroll, eh?"

"Sure! I like that." Minjee nodded. "City's wonderful at night."

"Then, it's settled, let's take a stroll, mistress." Kris joked and dragged Minjee back to the park, running lightly. Minjee ran along, smiling and giggling as she gripped onto Kris' hand tightly. The two of them simply walked here and there, talked about this and that and everything. It was as if they were couples. There were some girls of Minjee's age that had their attention on Kris, and in their opinion, Minjee was definitely lucky to have Kris.

She was lucky indeed.

"So..." Minjee began, looking around her. "How's EXO, oppa?"

"Oh, we're fine, I guess." Kris nodded.

"Why? Something wrong?"

"Well, me and Tao got into a light fighting this day. He suddenly turned cold and everything to me. He's acting totally different this time. Well, not only this time, some say he's been like that for some quite time already." Kris sighed as he shook his head. "TO be honest, I hate violence among our family."

"... Oppa and I used to fight over petty things, but we make up later. I'm sure Tao's just feeling bad."

"... I know. But, he only acts like that for a reason, and what could that be?"

"Who knows? But, hey, trust me. He'll make up with you sooner or later, trust me." Minjee smiled and nodded. "You promise that?" Kris questioned. "Yeah!"

"Well, thank you. I'll try to resolve our problems." Kris smiled and squeezed Minjee's hand again.

"Why do you keep squeezing my hand, hm, oppa?" Minjee laughed as she placed her head on Kris' shoulder. "Anyways, oppa...-"

"Yes?"

"Thank you for this day!" she giggled and tip-toed to place a soft peck on the taller's cheeks. It made her giggled softly, and made Kris smile. "What was that for?" Kris laughed as he eyed the shorter, younger lass.

"Nothing. It's like... a thank you gift." she smiled.

"I see." Kris nodded.

"Oppa, it's cold. Can you hug me?" Minjee softly asked, which Kris complied to. His long arms wrapped around Minjee's body. The two were completely okay with each other's company. The two enoyed each other beside one another.

"So, you and Tao fought, huh?"

"Yeah."

"... He's a whiny baby ever! Nothing really did change after seven years." Minjee laughed softly. "Seven years, and that idiot is still nothing but a crybaby who whines over petty reasons."

"Exactly. Wait- did you just say seven years?" Kris gasped by Minjee's words. "What-"

"You think I am that naive to forget who my wolf is?" Minjee laughed. "I was just playing around with you guys. Of course, I knew who Tao is and that he is my real wolf."

"... You knew all along?!"

"Of course."

"... What the hell-"

"Hey, I'm not that naive. I'm a top notcher in our class, and that would be such a shame if I didn't notice a wolf I grew up with for three years! That'd make me a complete goof."

"But, why did you stay quiet? And why did you just rode along with it?" Kris kept on asking, fazed by Minjee alone.

"Well, let's just say I wanted you guys to say it yourselves, but, nah, you didn't say a word, so I thought I should just say it." Minjee laughed. "And besides, that kiss on the cheek? Tao would've gone bananas with that action of mine and turn as bright as a tomato! But you? You retained your cool, so obviously, your aren't my wolf."

"... Minjee..."

"I understand. You did this for a reason. Tao cannot protect me yet, and I know that. I understand, but I should tell him what I know now."

"... Yeah, since he's just right behind you." Kris softly said and pointed at the panting, yellow headed brother. Tao was clad in sweat, breathing heavily, his right hand clutching his chest tightly. His eyes were glaring at them, and by the looks of it, he was as furious as ever!

"... I knew it! There's something more between you two!" Tao cried on top of his lungs. "How could you, gege?! You made a promise to only protect her, not fall in love with her!"

"Tao..." Minjee gasped.

"Tao, I'm not in love with her. I am still protecting her, I swear!" Kris replied in courage.

"Liar! All you do is lie and lie! You're a big liar!" Tao wailed as tears rolled down his eyes, down to his cheeks and chin. "I can't believe you two!"

"Tao, it's a big misunderstanding! Listen, please!" Minjee cried as she tried to walk towards the yellow -headed man, but alas, he only backed off and gave her one of his "looks". "... Tao, please. Please, listen to us. Listen to me."

"Why? Did you ever listened or knew about my thoughts as well? Did you see what I tried to say all this time? Did you?" Tao growled as he curled his hands into a fist. "Kang Minjee, you never saw what I wanted to tell you! You never did! Why should I listen to you, huh?"

"Tao! Watch your language! She's still a female!" Kris growled as he pushed Tao, nearly making him fall down. "Please! Manners, Zitao! Manners!"

"You're one to talk, Yifan!"

"Why you-!" Kris scowled as he hit Tao, crossing his hand across the younger's face, finally making him loose balance and fall on the ground. As much as Minjee wanted to cut in, she was too dumbfounded. She couldn't move by the way these brothers quarreled. They were like beasts fighting over a female. And the female is obviously her.

"Where are your darn respects, Tao?! What has gotten into you? Just because I ing made you a tiny bit jealous doesn't mean you get to act like that! I am still the leader and your older brother!"

"Why?! Did you ever respect me, huh?! You never did! Never!" Tao countered bravely, tears rolling uncontrollably down his eyes. "You never even cared for my feelings, if I get hurt or what so ever!"

"Tao-!"

"All you do is lock yourself up in that darn room of yours every single day and barely have time for the whole EXO family!"

"Stop this nonsense already!" Minjee cried as she walked in between the two brothers, arms stretched on both sides as she tried to cut in. "Please! Stop acting like babies, you two! You are siblings, for goodness' sake! Try to calm your selves down and ing make up already!" Minjee cried in annoyance. "Please! As for you, Huang Zitao, can you stop whining over petty things and shut your darn mouth up?!"

Silence.

"So, you're on his side, huh?" Tao scoffed as he backed off, step by step. "I am on both your and his side!" Minjee answered loudly.

".. Don't make a fool out of me, Minjee." Tao sobbed as he stepped off. "How could you be so blind?"

"... Tao-"

"... Why?" Tao sobbed harder before sprinting off. "Tao!" Minjee called out. With a light push from Kris, it made Minjee act up and chase after the yellow headed wolf.

 

 

 

 

Down the streets, Minjee kept running to chase after Tao, who was busy crying over the fact he caught the two "seemingly dating". It was very painful for Minjee to see that her wolf was hurt. Tao was like her other half.

No.

He is her other half.

"Tao! Stop running!" Minjee called out as she tried to reach out for Tao, who was barely impossible to reach. His speed was just too much for her to handle. She can't catch up to the male. "Tao! Please!"

Just stop running. "Tao!"

Please. "Tao! Stop running!"

Turn around and look at me. "Please, Zitao!"

Huang Zitao... listen to me, please. "Tao-! Ah!"

BAM!

"Minjee?" Tao panted as he turned around. A small figure, fallen on the ground. Minjee... "Minjee!" Tao cried out as he ran back to Minjee as fast as he can. Despite Minjee trying to get up, Tao hurried and knelt down to her, panicking as his tears slowly dried up on his cheeks. He didn't bother to wipe his tears away and simply focuses on the fallen lady.

"Ouch..." Minjee winced as she held her knee. Tao carefully holds the female's hands and slowly, removed it from whatever it was covering, and there it was.

Crimson blood, flowing down her fair skin. "Minjee-! You're-"

"I'm alright." she smiled. "At least you stopped running. I'm okay." she managed to say with a soft giggle before twitching in pain yet again. Wasting no time and hesitating no more, Tao carries Minjee on his back and walks off to somewhere he can tend the other's wound. On the other side, the female managed to put up a smile as she struggled no more. She was happy to be with Tao.

Her real wolf.

After a few more walking, Tao managed to drop Minjee on a bench and managed to buy some banadges to cover up the scratch. For some weird reason as well, he found that special medicine Lay often uses to tend his and his brothers' wounds. Together, he used them to tend Minjee's wound on her knee. He carefully cleaned the wound and applied the medicine before wrapping the part with a clean bandage.

Afterwards, he sat down and stayed quiet beside Minjee.

"I'm sorry." he softly said in guilt. "Because of my foolishness, you got hurt."

"I told you, I'm alright." she giggled and placed her head on Tao's shoulder. "I'm alright. All I need is you here beside me like it used to be before."

"... What do you mean?"

"Seven years ago, remember? You'd always stay by my side whenever I cried and got hurt. You used to my wounds clean and bring me that leaf of a particular plant and with your small paw, put it over my wounds."

"... That was Kris-gege." Tao laughed.

"It wasn't him." Minjee giggled and faced Tao, looking straight at his eyes. "I know it's you. I knew it from the start."

And as if it was lightning, it struck Tao. It made him pause and try to process her words. "What?" Tao gasped as he beamed at Minjee. "Y-you did?"

"I am not that naive to not notice the wolf that saved my life before!" Minjee laughed as she the male's soft cheeks. "I'll always know your touch. I know your eyes. It was never Kris, I simply played along."

"... You... why? Did you enjoy toying with me?"

"No! I just... I was just looking forward that you'd admit it to me yourself, or at least one of your brothers would do so." Minjee frowned. "But soon, I knew the reason none of you told."

"... Because I cannot protect you, for I am weak. I am the fragile one, and if ever you knew, you'd be my responsibility." Tao sighed. "And I cannot protect you well. I'm useless, a useless wolf."

"Nonsense!" Minjee cried as she held Tao's hand. "I think you're completely capable of protecting me! And I can protect myself too, so I won't be a burden!"

"Minjee, you don't under-"

"Tao, I've been dying to see you for years. I'm sticking up with you 'till the end because..."

"... I'm wolf. Your hero wolf." he smiled. "I know."

"Exactly." she nodded and smiled before tears pooled down her eyes, shocking the male more. "W-why are you crying this time? Did I say something wrong?"

"N-no, idiot. It's just... I can't believe you're really here. You're the real wolf of mine. I cannot believe it." she softly sobbed as she covered her teary face with her hands. "I just..."

Tao smiled secretly and wrapped his arms around Minjee, pulling her close to him. How he missed hugging that young girl! It's been too long already. He missed her badly. She missed her badly too. It was just like a dream come true.

Finally.

They were reunited.

 

 

 

 

 

"What do you mean they ran off?! Who knows where they'll go?!" Xiumin cried as he stomped his feet childishly in front of Kris, who was simply keeping his cool.

"Xiumin-hyung, calm down, I'm sure they will come back and be safe." Sehun softly said, smiling faintly, failing to hide his worry for his noona and his brother.

"... And what if they don't?" D.O sighed as he shook his head.

"May they be safe." Lay softly hoped, his hands clasped together.

Soon enough, two figures walked towards their direction, fingers interlaced. One was obviously taller, and the other's height was until the other's ear, most likely. One was black haired, and the other was yellow-headed. One wore dull colored clothes, on clad in a casual outfit.

"Tao! Minjee!" Luhan called out as he ran towards them, hugging his brother tightly before placing his arms on Minjee's shoulders. "Oh, thank goodness you're okay! You got all of us worried!"

"Where have you two been?!" Suho scolded as he walked towards the two.

"We thought you two just vanished or something!" Chen joked, earning a hard hitting from Baekhyun. "I was obviously joking, Baek!"

"And obviously, this is not the right time for those darn trollings of yours!"

"... Right..."

"Gege, we're okay. See?" Tao laughed as he showed that long-awaited smile to his siblings. "Don't worry-"

"Holy Pete! Why is Minjee-noona's knee bandaged?" Kai cried out in shock. "Noona! What happened?!"

"Kai, calm down! I just tripped while chasing Tao, so calm down. It's just a little wound."

"But still!"

"She's okay, stop over reacting, Jongin." Chanyeol laughed. "It'll heal soon."

"Oppa's right." Minjee nodded, smiling. Soon enough, everyone paused as they saw the two holding each other's hands tightly, seemingly not wanting to let go of one another. "Oh! Right!" Xiumin cried as he looked back at Kris. "Wu Yifan, Minjee here is your responsibility! How can you let her off your sight?!" he scolded, arms crossed.

"Gege, don't blame him, Minjee is my responsibility." Tao smiled as he faced his brothers, making them pause and have their jaws fall down.

"Tao!" D.O softly cried as he nudged his brother's shoulder. "Shush!"

"There's no reason to keep anything from me anymore." Minjee smiled. "I know everything. I know the truth since the beginning, including the fact that my real wolf is Tao, and not Kris-oppa."

"What?!" everyone literally shouted in astonishment.

"Yes, you heard it right, fellas!" Minjee giggled. "I knew it all from the start."

"... Well then, um, that calls for a celebration!" Suho clapped as leads the way. Everyone shrugged and clapped along and walked along with Joonmyeon, smiling and talking with one another about this and that.

Behind, Minjee, Tao, Xiumin and Kris walked behind and chatted, the two still holding hands, fingers interlaced.

"Oh, it just crossed my mind, how in earth did you know that Tao was your wolf and not Kris?" Xiumin questioned as he eyed Minjee, who had her arm linked around Tao's arm this time. Minjee blinked a few times and looked at the eldest brother in EXO before innocently looking at Tao, then to Kris, back to Xiumin.

"Yeah, it interests me too on how you learned Zitao was the real one and Kris-hyung was a poser!" Chen nodded. "What gave the way?"

"Easy, when he first said that he was my 'wolf'." Minjee smiled. "You see, he acted too cool, and as far as I know, the real one would stutter and hesitate to speak up first, but Kris-oppa spoke straight and confidently. It was just not right. Plus, he didn't cry! Tao here is a crybaby!"

"Eh, fair point." Xiumin and Chen nodded, and Kris, smiling.

"But what about that 'touch of the hand' part?" Tao questioned as he nudged Minjee. "How do you explain that part?"

"Oh, simple." the female smiled and giggled. "I knew that your hands are soft and yes, bigger than mine obviously. Kris-oppa's hands were rough."

"That's because he always uses his hands in writing and everything!" Luhan cried out from in front.

"Oh, no wonder." she snickered as she pulled herself closer to Tao. Everyone was soon laughing by the words Minjee used to describe Kris' hands and soon enough, Kris saw through.

"Are you making a fool outta me? I'm a picasso, darn it!" Kris whined.

"Yeah right, you're arts are amazing." D.O said, sarcastically.

With the truth unveiled, everything seems to be going well. Everything was perfect.

 

 

 

 

Or is it?