XXXIX

으르렁 Beauty and the Wolf

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After a few running, the pack slowly ceased their running and stopped to look back, seeing that no one was chasing them any longer. The snow was beginning to fall faster and the wind howled. It was a blizzard coming down on the pack and they had to search for another temporary shelter. Minjee, who was still on Tao's arms, carried, was still sobbing that possibly, her tears might freeze seconds later.

"Where now?" Suho asked, eyeing the obviously worn out leader. "There's a blizzard coming soon, duizhang."

"Make your eyes keen and spot for a place where we can stay for a while." Kris ordered, trying to remain stiff despite shivering inside. "Hurry, we'll freeze if we don't move fast."

"Alright." Suho nodded before turning around to look at his brothers. "You heard the leader, look out for places we can temporarily seek shelter."

"Let's get moving." Kris added, walking in a rather slow pace this time. His brothers followed close behind, and nearly all of them were trembling under the cruel howls of the wind. Tao was one of them and, being one of the most fragile members, he would be complaining now.

But no, he wasn't.

Seeing his mate tearing up due to the bloody death scene she witnessed earlier, she was actually afraid and uneasy. Her tears spoke up for her instead. Chanyeol's death was horrid, add the fact that Minjee was rather close to that giant. It was just unbelievable, as if when they had their guards down for a milli-second, something snatched Chanyeol's life away.

First, Luhan, whose eyes were given to his beloved brother, Sehun.

Second, Sehun, whose life was connected to Luhan's.

Third, Chen, who hesitated not to stop the beast from coming out of his brother, and died due to such decision.

Fourth was Xiumin, wh wasn't capable of bearing the pain of killing his own brother, sneaked down, deep in the forest and preferrably committed suicide.

Fifth was Baekhyun, who was mercilessly burned in front of Chanyeol's eyes.

And lastly, Chanyeol, who sacrificed himself in order to protect Minjee and Tao's life. Shot straight to the heart by a silver bullet, he died in his own blood-puddle.

And as far as everyone knew, due to a painful memory of having his birth parents murdered mercilessly in front of her eyes, she cannot bear to endure so many deaths occuring. Minjee knew she'd break apart with another death occuring.

No, it wasn't six deaths she witnessed, but seven.

Haewon, her step-brother, the one man that stood up for her out of everything, ceased due to an unacceptable secret. His life was snatched in a second that break of dawn. Yes, it's been some time, but the pain still rises by the single thought of her brother's smile. It aches, and add the deaths of several EXO wolves, it made the pain grow bigger and bigger.

And who knows who'll die next?

And who knows when?

"Hyung! There's a shelter over there!" Kai cried despite shivering, pointing in the horizon. When he noticed that no one was paying attention to him, or just didn't hear him, he tugged onto Kyungsoo's clothes, grabbing the attention of the freezing red-hair.

"Wh-what is it, Jongin?" D.O asked, his arms s around his own small body. "I-is something wrong? Can you keep up with the cold?"

"I can, of course!" Kai cried. "I saw a shelter over there!" he said, pointing somewhere again.

"Where?" the red-hair asked, squinting his eyes. 

"There!" Kai repeatedly cried out, pointing somewhere in the horizon. Because of his repetitive cries, everyone spun around to look where the current youngest was pointing at. Thanks to Tao's sharp eyesight, he spotted where his brother pointed at, and it was a cave-like shelter. Wasting no time, Kai leads his brothers there to escape the freezing weather and upon reaching so, they hurried and sat down together, keeping warmth. Mintae, still in Tao's arms, was still busy sobbing to her heart's content and due to the slow swelling of her eyes and puffing up of her cheeks, Tao began to worry.

"Let her cry for now." Suho adviced. "She'll be fine soon."

"B-but she-"

"Believe in Joonmyeon, Zitao." Lay smiled grimacely. "He knows what he tells you to do."

"... Alright." Tao nodded, patting the female's back gently to calm her down... if he even can.

Minjee, meanwhile, was seemingly obnoxious of her surroundings. She didn't feel the cold, she didn't hear EXO's voices, she didn't see what they were doing for now. Her time stopped with that horrifying scene earlier, where Chanyeol ceased due to her and Tao's protection.

Her time has stopped for a while. Everything froze.

"The sequence holds something." Minjee thought as she was in the middle of being dazed. "Yet what? Sehun, Luhan-oppa, Chen-oppa, Xiumin-oppa, Baekhyun-oppa then Chanyeol-oppa. What's the damn sequence? Who'll the next one to die be?"

Seeing throught Minjee's worry, Tao eyed her intently. "Minjee, what's in your mind?" he worriedly asked as he patted her back. With the sudden touch, Minjee jolted and returned the look to her mate.

"Wha?"

"You're seemingly out of yourself. Look, I know that Chanyeol-gege's death is surprisingly horrifying, and that isn't just for you, but for me. I can't believe that he's gone neither-"

"Tao, that's not what's in my mind, okay?" Minjee faintly said, a smile not even bothering to paint her pale face. "I'm just... figuring our what's the missing piece."

"Piece?" Tao asked in confusion before tilting his head.

"Mhm. A missing puzzle piece. There's some sequence in the death here." Minjee said, looking down before tapping her chin. "And I think I'm one step closer to it."

"... Whatever it is, can it be prevented?" Suho suddenly asked, hearing the two's conversation. In shock, the two jolted up but after regaining composure, Minjee cleared and nodded shyly.

"Hopeful, oppa. Hopefully." she said while fumbling on her fingers.  "I hope we can."

"Death can't be cheated." Kris frowned. "But in our situation, we have to."

"Exactly, gege." Tao nodded. "We've got to be a million times more careful and so. If not, it may cause us danger and worse-"

"Death. I know." Kris cuts in, nodding. "Now, take a rest. I'll be up for now while you get the energy you'd need for quite some troublesome journey."

"I cannot let the duizhang be up alone." Suho smiled and sat beside his brother. "I could accompany you-"

"No. I can handle and guard you myself, Joonmyeon. Go to sleep. You'll need it."

"But you, as well, need it."

"Joonmyeon-"

"I'm staying up too."

"Kim Joonmyeon-"

"It's an order from the co-leader, duizhang. I know my ranking is lower than yours but still. I am the guardian and I need to guard you." he said, emphasizing the last sentence clearly. In defeat, Kris nodded and stayed awake with Suho beside him while everyone drifts in a light sleep in the freezing atmosphere.

"Kris." Joonmyeon calls out, trying to fight back the sleep in his eyes.

"What?" Kris yawns.

"Who do you think will die next?" he asks, blinking a bit faster than usual.

"How should I know? I'm not a future-sighter."

"But still, do you know the sequence perhaps?"

"No."

"...Okay."

"Do you?" Kris asks, eyeing his brother intently. With a short pause, Suho then shakes his head in response, disappointing the leader. "Perhaps, do you think those who ceased had an idea?"

"Maybe Xiumin-hyung did." Suho thought, tapping his chin. "And yet, he might not. I don't know."

"We're talking about all of them here."

"Well, I have no idea. I don't communicate with the dead, do I?"

"... Sheesh, okay." Kris sighed, leaning on the wall behind him. Suho does the same and stays awake as far as they can, guarding the little ones safe.

 

 

 

 

 

"On your feet now! Hurry!" Kris commands, making everyone jolt up as fast as they can upon hearing Kris' voice bomb the whole place. "What?!" Kai cries in annoyance, the lack of rest visible in his whole being.

"Don't 'what' me, Kim Jongin! Enemies are near!" Kris cried, waking the others who still had sleep upon their eyes. "Quickly, move!"

"What's going on?" Minjee yawned.

"Who is it this time, gege?" Lay asked, rubbing his eyes sleepishly. "Girls or boys-?"

"Males." Suho cuts in. "Three members of SuJu."

"C-can you identify who?" D.O nervously questions as he tugged on Suho's arm. He was answered shortly but an unsure nod.

"I suppose it's Siwon, Kyuhyun and Henry." he said in a stuttering tone.

"Oh, ." Kai cursed softly, but was enough for Kris to hear. Everyone got up and hurried out of their temporary hideout and sprinted once they did. Hurrying, they silently made their way far away from the place, sure that no one was following them. For now.

"Run!" Minjee shrieked, surprising Tao and the rest.

"Minjee! Voice!" Tao cringed in shock before hurriedly shutting his mate up. "What's wrong this time?"

"I-I saw them!" Minjee faltered.

"Who?" Lay asked.

"T-them!"

"Them?"

CREAK!

"SuJu!" D.O exclaimed before making everyone sprint off by the sight of those three males. Smirks were plastered on their faces, horror was instantly given to the pack. By the sight, chills ran up their spines. They still recalled how they killed two of their brothers.

It was unacceptable.

"Hurry!" Kris cried out, leading his pack down deep in the forest. Everyone followed obediently, and hurriedly, to escape the fears struck on them by those three members.  

And as if they're running abilities were a bit enhanced, Minjee felt she was running faster than normal. Was it because of the adrenaline coarsing through her veins? 

That's probably the first reason.

"Give it up, EXO! You're gonna die sooner or later!" Siwon cried out. "As a whole or maybe one by one!" 

"You heard him! Give it up!" Kyuhyun repeated.

"You're gonna face death sooner or later! Let's make it easier, stop running and face your fate! You're gonna die easier that way, EXO!" Henry added, making everyone sprint rather faster this time.

Minjee felt herself freeze up upon those words. Whatever EXO's fate was, she knew that it was hers as well. Her fate was tied with EXO's since the day her first kiss was stolen by no other than Huang Zitao, her mate.

And she accepts such painful fate. But who wouldn't be afraid to their ends?

"Keep running! We're gonna catch you anyway!" Henry repeated.

"Don't listen to a word they're saying!" Kris cried back, not even bothering to look back.  "Keep running! I assure you guys! We're gonna be safe! I promise!"

"Of course we are!" Tao cried loudly, holding tight on Minjee's wrist. "We are gonna live! We're gonna be okay!"

CRASH!

"Oh no-! Minjee-noona!" Kai cried out upon seeing the female fall down on the snow-covered ground. Minjee winced in both the impact and the sharp pain. 

"Zitao!" Minjee exclaimed, trying to stand up as fast as she can.

But heaven and earth knows that the three members of SuJu can reach her within seconds, right even before she gets up! She ing knew that.

"Zitao!"

"Help me!"

"Please!"

But, too late.

"Aw, the poor human fell down, huh?" Siwon mocked as he glared down at Minjee, an evil smirk forming on his lips. "And too bad, you're falling to your death too in a second from now."

No.

NO!

I am not dying! 

"Leave her be!" Suho cried out, pushing Siwon down and pinning him on the ground. Hard. "You can mock EXO all you want but hurt a strand of her hair and you're dead!" he threatened.

"Suho-oppa!-" Minjee cried out, but was cut off by Suho's glare.

"Get up and get the outta here!" Suho commanded. "Kris!"

"On it!" Kris cried out and helped the human up. Despite Henry and Kyuhyun trying to prevent the pack's escape, they failed as Kai and Tao easily kicked them away, making them fall on the ground. "Hurry up!" D.O called out.

"H-how about Suho-oppa?" Minjee cried as she was carried away by Kris, his brothers behind, running along. 

"Lay! Get your back here!" Kris cried out as he saw the dimpled brother not move and instead, run back to where Suho fought the three. "Zhang Yixing!-"

"Go ahead!" Lay cried out in bravery. "I need to help my brother! I need to help Suho-!"

"Hyung! Get the back here!" Kai cried out in annoyance. "Please!"

"Lay-gege!" Tao called out.

"Go ahead!" he smiled. "I promise, we're gonna be back. The two of us." he stated out before sprinting off to help Suho fight SuJu's three members. 

"Lay-oppa!" Minjee cried out as they disappeared in the blizzard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Lay you idiot!" Suho cried as he fell beside Lay, beaten up and full of bruises and scratches, crimson blood flowing down his milky skin. "You shouldn't have followed me here! Get out while you still can!" he commanded.

"No, Joonmyeon." Lay strongly declined, wiping off the blood from the cut on his lower lip. "I promised, didn't I?"

"Promises are meant to be broken!"

"Not for me, Joonmyeon. I'm helping you no matter what." the dimpled wolf smiled sweetly. "Like how you used to when we were just pups."

The word struck Suho in seconds. Flashbacks came rushing to his head in no time. He recalled how older wolves of their clan used to pick up on Lay because he was "weak" and all he can do was hide and tend on his wounds when he got some. Fellow wolves mocked him because he can't even fight. They mocked him because their pack, the Zhangs, were popular for being complete pacifists, not being able to battle and "healers" alone. They didn't know violence, and being the youngest in their family pack, Lay received their next mocks.

And Suho was rather one of the few who saw differently back then. He befriended the silent and shy Lay in no time and stood up whenever others bullied him. He stood there no matter what and no matter how many times he received kick, punches and mocks from others, he wouldn't leave Lay's side.

No matter...

... How much.

... Lay drove him away for his own safety.

"GAH!"

The scream snapped Suho out from his flashback and the next thing he saw was a bloody Lay on the white ground. He was covered in brusises and cuts and scratches, and blood was all over his body! He was nearly meeting his end.

"Yixing!" Suho cried out in horror.

"I knew a Zhang wouldn't win a battle." Kyuhyun laughed and kicked Lay's stomach, making the poor wolf cough up blood. "A Zhang is no fighter. Why, they aren't even worthy of being wolves!"

"A disgrace!" Henry completed before bursting into a loud laughter.

That's it.

"Yixing doesn't deserve to be a wolf! None of the Zhangs are! They're a disgrace to us wolves!" those words from the past repeated in Suho's head before he pinned Kyuhyun down on the ground.

And to the opponent's surprise, he saw Suho's beast.

His eyes were bright red and his fangs showed. "Don't. Mock. Him." Suho sternly said before landing a punch on Kyuhyun with zero mercy. This continued until Siwon fired a sharp kick on Suho, making the co-leader roll off Kyuhyun, hurt. Henry followed, punching straight on Suho's stomach repeatedly before aiming his face.

Seconds after the impact he received, Lay regained consciousness, only to be greeted by a bloody Suho being beaten up by the three. "Joonmyeon!"  he cried and sprinted towards his brother and didn't hesitate to kick two of SuJu away and landing sharp punches on their jaws. 

"Lay! Get the outta here already!" Suho begged in annoyance. "Please-!"

"No! I'm sorry, but I won't be driven away by you!" Lay cried as he continued attacking. "I mean, hey, you didn't neither back then when I asked you to leave me, right?"

"This is a different situation!"

"It's not. It's still us versus other wolves, right?" he smiled before giggling angelically, earning strength and a smile from Suho before kicking Henry off him full force.

"You're right, Lay." Suho smiled and nodded.

Together, back to back, the two fought side by side and as if everything's just a game, the two were laughing despite receiving all the painful attacks from their enemies. They were receiving pain but hey, if you're fighting back to back with a brother of yours, it's as if the pain disappears the next second!

But Suho knew Lay.

He saw how half-lidded his eyes were already. He knew what's going to happen next and he had to do something about it. If he doesn't drive the three away from his brother, Lay's going to die.

But if he does, he's dying.

He has an obvious choice.

"Over here!" Suho called out, inviting the three to run after him. Lay followed as soon as the three were gone. He had zero idea of what was happening and he dreaded what was coming next. 

He knew his limits and he was crossing it now. Lay had no choice but to take guard for now and watch from afar, which he was darn irritated of.

He saw everything and bursted into tears.

He saw how Suho received those attacks and how blood-covered his brother was. Oh, how Lay wished it would end sooner or later. He feared what was next.

And his fear came through. The four now battled near a cliff and they were getting closer as seconds 

"Die EXO!" Henry cried. "Burn down!"

A sharp punch was easily blocked by Suho and he easily countered the attack, in other words, pushing him off the cliff instead. It continued and the next one to fall was Siwon, who dumbly tried charging him. Now, all that was left was Kyuhyun. The two exchanged punches and kicks, blood gushing out their mouth everytime.

"Now, how do you feel that two of your brothers died?" Suho hissed. "This is how we feel everytime you kill our brothers! You beasts!"

"Shut up!" Kyuhyun cried as he charged Suho, but smartly, the younger dodged, making Kyuhyun fall off the cliff, but alas, he grabbed Suho's ankle, pulling him along. Suho, of course, was dragged along and by such sight, Lay came out from his hiding place.

"Joonmyeon!" Lay cried as he saw Kyuhyun finally let go and Suho, hanging down for his dear life.

"Yixing!" Suho cried out.

"Take my hand, hurry!" Lay cried, reaching out his hand. Suho reached for it and easily grabbed hold of it but due to his weight, he was slowly pulling his brother down as well. Lay knew the ground covered in snow was slippery and it was hard to take grip, and he knew he'd fall if he doesn't pull Suho up.

Suho noticed one thing differnt though.

"Lay, let go."

"A-are you bonkers?!" Lay cried in fear, tears rolling down due to fear and confusion. "Why in the world would I let go?! Joonmyeon, we're both gonna be okay-"

"You don't get it, Yixing." he smiled. "I get it all now."

"W-which?"

"The sequence of deaths. I get it."

"W-wha-?"

"And I'm on the list as the next one to cease after Chanyeol." he smiled, giggling in the middle of talking. Lay finally broke, his tears exploded and began rolling down his red cheeks uncontrollably.

"S-stop talking mad, Suho. We're gonna survive!"

"No, Yixing. Only you are."

"What?"

"Let go." 

"NO! Why would I?"

"Please." he begged, his smile still not vanishing but was not tainted with his cold tears. "Come on, Lay, everyone's waiting for at least one of us to return, and that's you alone. Go on, let go and run back to them. I promise, I'm gonna be fine soon. We're gonna see each other soon anyway."

"Suho-"

"Not much time, Lay. You're slipping so let go of me."

"Joonmyeon-"

"Please."

"Kim Joonmyeon, I'm begging you!"

Suho paused and sighed heavily, and soon, another smile was plastered on his tear-filled face. "Hey, how about this, Lay. When we meet again soon, let's play that game we used to play back then, hm? How long was it since we last played that? Years ago?"

Seeing through Suho's plans of making him at least smile, he nodded. "Promise? Do you promise that? We'll play that game we used to play before? Under the tallest tree in the forest?" Lay asked, trying his best to smile.

"Mhm! I'll bring your favorite snacks too."

"... Alright." Lay smiled.

"See you soon, brother." Suho smiled.

"..."

"See you, Joonmyeon, dear brother." Lay smiled before letting go of his brother, his eyes witnessing Suho falling to his death. Thankfully, the fog below covered the gruesome scene of him crashing, and once he was gone, Lay broke again.

Tears spilled.

Wails were heard and echoed throughout the forest.

Suho was gone.

And the weak Lay was left all alone again. Under the blizzard.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"Lay-gege!" Tao called out, seeing his blood-cladded brother walk towards them. Everyone stood up and ran towards him and quickly assisted him in walking. "Oh, thank goodness you're safe!"

"Oh dear, your wounds are indeed deep!" D.O exclaimed in fear. "Hurry, let's find a place to stay for a while and tend on them, alright, hyung?"

"... Okay." Lay nodded.

"Oppa." Minjee called out. "Where's Suho-oppa?" she asked in hesitation, her voice quiverring. Lay's agony-filled eyes met everyone and instantly, Kai gasped.

"No. Hyung don't tell me-"

"Don't worry. He's sleeping and resting from all the troubles he had these years. He's resting now, and I assure that he's in a better place now." Lay smiled faintly but soon, tears tainted his face. "He's in a better place, with everyone. With our brothers."

"No. Don't tell me, Yixing. Is Joonmyeon...?" Kris gasped in total astonishment. 

"He's resting, I say, gege." he grinned, his dimples showing once again. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

"And I know we'll see him sooner or later. He promised. He said we'll play the Clap game again. I just have to clap and wait for his voice to reply again. I'll just have to wait for him to speak again." Lay smiled before falling on his knees, wailing loudly with tears falling on the snow.