Leaving

Forgotten Promise

"What did you guys do?" Donghae asked coldly. He demanded an answer. He would not accept an "I don't know!" answer. He wanted a clear, complete sentence about what happened to Yoona. 

"W-We don't know!" Heechul stuttered. In one swift movement, Donghae grabbed Heechul's collar and slammed him against the walls of the hospital. He glared at Heechul with anger in his eyes.

"What do you mean you don't know? You're the one who saw it!" yelled Donghae. Jessica put a hand on Donghae's shoulder, who shrugged her hand off.

"We just wanted you two to get together and…" Jessica yelped when Donghae slammed his fist against the wall.

"I was planning to tell her in person to surprise her," Donghae said, gritting his teeth. "I was at the park, trying to practice my surprising skills. Then, when I turned around, what do I see? Yoona in her own blood. On the street. She's in that room right now, and I want an answer. I don't even know if she's going to live or not."

"Donghae, it can't be that bad," Yuri said quietly. "It was a small crash. It shouldn't be leading to Yoona's death. She's too young to die…"

"It's my fault, Hae," Minho confessed. "Don't get angry at the others. I was speeding up."

"No, it's not your fault Minho oppa!" Yuri exclaimed. "I liked the speed. I liked how the wind was blowing in my hair. Please don't blame yourself because of a stupid motorcycle."

"Yeah, don't blame yourself is Yoona dies because of your stupid motorcycle," Donghae grunted, making a fist. A pang of guilt shot Minho's chest, as Yuri hugged him, trying to comfort him. 

"Mister, you are not making the situation better," Jessica said sharply to Donghae, scolding him. "You already lost hope in Yoona. That's just really sad."

"Yep, really sad," Heechul agreed. Donghae groaned as he banged his forehead against the wall hard. The other four winced, staring at Donghae as if he was insane. Heechul leaned towards Jessica and whispered, "That should hurt."

Donghae didn't care. He knew that his forehead would be bright red, and he might've lost plenty of brain cells. However, he didn't care just a bit. He felt uncomfortable with the thought of Yoona in the emergency room, the frantic and busy doctors trying to save her life. His lips were quivering, scared that he would never speak to Yoona again. His eyes were getting teary, but he refused to let his tears fall down his cheek.

I'm so scared, Donghae thought, trying to man up. I'm so scared that I'm going to lose Yoona. This is all my fault. If we never met, then Yoona wouldn't even be in this situation.

Suddenly, the lights of the emergency room changed colors. A doctor came out, taking off the stretchy gloves stained with blood. The doctor gave the students a faint smile.

"You guys are…?" the doctor paused for a moment, until Donghae stepped up.

"We're her friends," Donghae said honestly. He gulped nervously, clenching a fist again. "Very close friends."

"I have good news and bad news for you," the doctor said, looking at the rest of the teenagers. "The good news is that your friend is alive. It wasn't big or anything luckily, so you don't have to worry about your friend's death."

Relief flooded throughout Donghae's body, but he quickly stiffened up when the doctor continued.

"The bad news is…the girl might have a temporary amnesia."


"Amnesia!" Donghae cried, throwing his hands up. "Of all the things Yoona could've had, she can have amnesia!"

"Chill, Donghae," Minho said calmly. "I'm sure that she'll remember you. You'll see. When she wakes up, she'll remember you right off the bat."

Donghae groaned as he slammed his back against the wall, shaking his head. "You don't understand, you don't understand!" he moaned. "She already forgot about our childhood promise, but if she gets amnesia.…Well, who knows what she could forget?"

A hard slap ran across Donghae's cheek. Jessica glared at Donghae, fed up with his complaints and worry.

"You're a pathetic guy if you want to be Yoona's boyfriend," Jessica muttered angrily. "Losing hope on her when she might have a temporary amnesia. Ridiculous! You should be praying, possibly crossing your fingers, for the sake of Yoona's memories. Just what do you want from her, Donghae? Her heart, or her memories?"

Donghae froze. He loved Yoona. He truly did, but he wanted her to remember about the childhood moments he had. Dumbfounded, he stared aimlessly at nothing. He was definitely confused. 

"I…I…I…"

"Jessica's right," Yuri agreed, stepping up. "I know Yoona, and if she had a boyfriend, she would never give up her hopes. If you can't even hope for Yoona's safety, then I don't know why I even supported you and Yoona."

Donghae stared at Yuri, shocked. "I…"

"I think we all know what you have to do," Heechul said calmly. Donghae stared down at his feet, which surprisingly interested him at that moment. He carefully thought about what his friends were saying. Slowly, Donghae nodded his head. He knew what he had to do by heart. He looked up at his friends with a serious face.

"I'm going to see Yoona, okay?" Donghae quietly said. "No one come or listens to what I have to say, understand?"

Donghae walked away, leaving his friends at the entrance of the hospital. After a few minutes, Yuri and Jessica squealed and giggled, holding hands.

"He's gonna confess! He's gonna confess!" Yuri and Jessica cheered, singing. Minho and Heechul smirked as they high-fived each other.

"Mission accomplished," the two boys said in unison.


The door to Yoona's room slowly opened. Donghae pressed his lips into a thin line as he closed the door behind him. There was Yoona, who was lying down on one of the hospital bed. Tubes were attached to her arms, and her skin was as pale as snow. Nevertheless, to Donghae, she still looked magnificent. He approached her slowly, staring at her unique features. He did not take a seat next to her. No, instead, he grabbed her hands gently and leaned closer to her face.

"I'm so sorry I caused you so much trouble," Donghae whispered softly. He felt Yoona's breath tickle his lips. "So…I'm going to leave Seoul. I'm going back to live with my parents. Really, I'm so, so sorry that I caused you so much trouble. Feel better."

With that, he sealed his lips with a gentle kiss on Yoona's lips.