Granola

Forgotten Promise

A boy stared at little Yoona with a sad expression. "You really can't come with me?"

Yoona smiled softly and shook her head. "I can't, Oppa. Maybe next time I'll go with you when I'm a big girl!"

"Promise me that you won't cry?"

"I promise!"

"Promise me that you won't get bullied by the big kids?"

"I promise!"

"Promise that you'll keep eating strawberry shortcakes even though you don't have any coupons?"

"Uh…I don't think that Umma will allow me to do that," Yoona said, giggling.

"Then promise me one more thing." The boy leaned closer to Yoona with a serious face. Yoona backed away, staring deeply into the boy's soft brown eyes. He raised a pinky and grabbed one of Yoona's hand. "Promise me…"

"GAH!" Yoona gasped. Cold sweat stained her forehead as she quickly wiped them away. She gulped nervously, glancing around the room. She groaned and ran her fingers through her long hair.

I've been getting that same dream over and over again! Yoona thought. She laid back down on her bed, closed her eyes softly, and then opened them again. She tried to put the fuzzy memory together, but her head was blank.

Just who is that boy in my dream?


"Good morning, Umma," Yoona greeted. She was dressed in her school uniform, all ready to go out. The only thing she needed for her finishing touch was for Donghae to pick her up. Yoona's mom appeared out of the kitchen and smiled.

"Good morning, sweetie. Donghae came by earlier and said that he can't pick you up today," Mrs. Im informed. Yoona frowned.

"Why not?"

"He says that he has to get to school for some kind of meeting."

"A meeting?"

"Yes. He wasn't specific, though," Mrs. Im said.

Since when did Donghae join some kind of after school club? Yoona wondered. She nodded her head and picked up her book bag.

"Then I'll go. Bye!"

"Bye honey! Have a great day at school!" Mrs. Im called. Yoona slammed the door closed and ran to school. Hopefully she would meet donghae while  running to school, right?


Yuri jumped off the bus as the bus sped away. She straightened her skirt and looked up to see Minho leaning against the lamp post. He was holding two bars of granola in his hand. 

"Minho, what are you doing here?" Yuri asked, shocked. Minho just smiled as he handed Yuri a granola bar.

"You promised that we could have snacks together," Minho reminded. "So why not have it in the morning?"

Yuri giggled and flashed her best smile. "Minho, you're in a sport's club. Didn't you know that it's bad to eat sugar in the morning?"

"Don't worry, the granola bar is healthy. Plus, I already ate breakfast, so I'm fine. I just heard that you don't really eat breakfast in the morning, that's it," Minho replied. Yuri scrunched her eyebrows together.

"How did you know that?" she asked. Minho's cheeks turned pink as he remembered what had happened earlier when he was in the nurse's room.

"Donghae? Are you here?" Yoona called. As she poked her head into the nurse's room, she found Minho lying on the bed, panting heavily. The nurse walked up to Yoona and smiled.

"Donghae isn't here. If you're looking for Minho, he's lying on the bed, sick. I'll be right back. I need to get some bandages for an injured soccer player," the nurse said. The nurse scurried away, as Yoona stared at Minho.

"What happened to you?" Yoona asked.

"Fainted," Minho replied. He pulled himself to sit up, as he put his hand over his burning forehead. "Should've stayed home instead…"

"Are you sick?" Yoona asked worriedly.

"A bit, nothing serious," Minho said. "I think Donghae left off to somewhere else earlier. He came by to tell me to get well."

The two kept quiet, not knowing what to say to their ex. After a moment, Minho decided to speak up. However, a familiar shadow appeared on the door. Minho immediately recognized who the figure was.

"I-Isn't that Yuri?" Minho stuttered. Yoona turned around and nodded her head.

"Mhm. I think she either came here to get some food from the nurse since she doesn't eat breakfast in the morning, or either she's…" Yoona trailed off for a moment, gazing at Minho. "…Or either she's here to see you."

Minho blushed. "W-Why would she see me?"

"You're popular, Minho oppa. I'm not surprised that she found out," Yoona replied. Minho stared down at his hands. 

"What should I say when she comes in?" Minho questioned. A sly grin appeared on Yoona's face.

"Nothing," she replied simply. "If you pretend that you're sleeping, then she might talk to you in your 'sleep.'"

Minho stared at Yoona for a scary second. "Is this the Yoona I knew when we dated?"

Yoona frowned, noticing her quite unusual behavior, too. "No, this is like the Yoona during childhood when I tried to play pranks on Donghae."

"Are you remembering?" Minho asked quietly.

Yoona just shrugged her shoulders as she got ready to leave. "I don't know," she whispered. "I just don't know.

"I…have my own ways," Minho said quickly, before Yuri could get any second thoughts. Yuri studied Minho's expression for a while, trying to see if he was lying. However, because she felt tired and weary since she didn't eat breakfast, she decided to leave it be.

"Oh, okay." Was all she said. She bit into the granola bar, chewing it as the two headed for school. Minho couldn't help but shyly stare down at the ground. Never in his life was he so happy to be next to a girl like Yuri besides Yoona.