Forks Lead To Eavesdropping

Forgotten Promise

Yoona stiffened. She wondered why she got all nervous. Here she was, standing right in front of Donghae's apartment. She imagined Donghae sick in bed, with a warm towel on his forehead. She imagined herself surprising Donghae, making him smile as she would soak the warm towel inside a cold bowl of water. She smiled, as she rang the door bell. She waited patiently, wondering if Donghae would answer of if the door was already open. She knew that Donghae's parents weren't here since he "ran away" from home. 

After a few minutes, she decided to open the door. Right when the tips of her fingers brushed against the doorknob, the door opened. Surprised, Yoona looked up and found Donghae's mother staring at her. 

"You are…?"

"I-Im Yoona!" Yoona stuttered, her cheeks turning pink. "A-Ah…I'm Donghae's friend."

"Im Yoona?" Donghae's mother stared at Yoona for a moment. Then, she let out a sweet giggle. "So you're the girl Donghae has been talking about recently."

"That little kid!" Donghae's father grumbled. "He's skipping school because he's 'sick.' Being sick is no exception for skipping school!"

"Honey, Donghae just caught a small cold. I'm sure it'll past," Mrs. Lee scolded. She turned back to Yoona and opened the door. "Come in! Don't worry, we don't bite."

Yoona carefully nodded her head as she cautiously stepped in. Mrs. Lee closed the door behind her and smiled.

"You're very beautiful, Yoona," Mrs. Lee smiled. "You've grown so much!"

Yoona faked a laugh and tucked her hair behind her ear. She didn't recognize Mrs. Lee very much, sadly. Biting her lower lips, she looked up at the parents. 

"May I visit Donghae op–I mean, Donghae?" Yoona asked politely. Mrs. Lee nodded her head, as Mr. Lee scowled.

"Psh. Why would you want to visit my boy? First he came here because he wanted to meet a girl. Then he got sick, and we got a call from the school asking why he was absent, and now look! He's on bed, sneezing and coughing…" Mr. Lee trailed off, as Yoona tip-toed towards Donghae's room. She slowly opened a room that she thought was Donghae's.

"Donghae oppa…?" Yoona whispered. She looked up to see Donghae on bed, looking ill. He looked up, widening his eyes. 

"Y-Y-Y-Y-Y–"

"Are you okay?" Yoona asked. She entered the room, closing the door behind her. "I heard that you were sick from Sunye. You know, the girl at the cake shop? On the way, I bought cake. Do you want to eat some?"

Donghae blinked his eyes strangely. "Did you just ask me if I wanted cake?"

Yoona managed to giggle. "Funny, Donghae oppa. It's just cake. Here, I got your favorite–chocolate cake!"

Donghae stared at Yoona with intense eyes. Feeling a bit uncomfortable, Yoona put her hand right in front of Donghae's eyes. 

"Stop staring at me like that," Yoona said shyly. "It kind of freaks me out."

"You know, this is kind of funny," Donghae said, finally chuckling. "When we were younger, we used to bring our favorite cake to each other. Except you would come to me first, get a free coupon, and then go to the cake shop, buying cake for us."

"Really? I just wanted to buy cake for you," Yoona replied. She, too, was quite shocked. Donghae just smiled as Yoona handed him the slice of chocolate cake. She pulled out her own slice and put it on her lap. Suddenly she groaned, slapping her hand against her forehead. "Omo! I forgot about our forks! I'm so stupid."

"No, you're not stupid. Everyone forgets about these stuff," Donghae assured. He sniffed, groaning. Yoona put her plate on the desk next to Donghae.

"Be right back, I'll get some fork from downstairs," Yoona informed.

"No need. We can just feed each other with our fingers," Donghae replied, grinning. Yoona scoffed and rolled her eyes.

"Ew! Do I have to remind you that you're sick?" 

"Then we both can stay in bed, sick," Donghae winked. He wiggled his eyebrows, as Yoona lightly punched his arm. Donghae let out a laugh, but it sounded more like a dog panting for water. Yoona bit her tongue from keeping herself from laughing at Donghae's unusual laughing sound.

"Ha, ha, very funny Donghae oppa," Yoona said sarcastically. "Just wait, okay? I'm just getting forks."

"Fine, but hurry, okay?" Donghae ordered. Yoona laughed as she closed the door behind her. She almost tripped when going into the kitchen. She grabbed two silver forks and turned around in one swift move. As she was about to reach Donghae's room, she overheard his parent's discussing about something. Something about Donghae. She decided to stop and eavesdrop on what the parents were talking about.

"Sweetie, I think he's happy here. Just let him be. Anyways, Yoona can take care of him," Mrs. Lee urged. Her voice seemed desperate–desperate for Donghae to stay with his friends here.

"No, he's coming back with us," Mr. Lee said firmly. "I will not let our son skip school just because he can't take care of himself. I've made that quite clearly to you and Donghae."

Yoona swore that her face was as white as a ghost. She gulped nervously, as she stumbled to go to Donghae's room.

Donghae oppa's…leaving?