Space

Voice Out and Don't Hold Back

 

 

Chaerin enter into her apartment and heads to her bedroom not bothered to turn on the light and lay down in a foetal position wrapping her arms around her body. She has been ignoring the calls and texts from everybody and simply sent a text to Bom, Dara and Minzy saying that she’s not feeling well. Kris himself has tried calling her several times until finally giving up by sending a short text. The one person who has not given up on contacting her is Jiyong. She switch off her phone and place it in front of her.

“No, I’m here for you but it looks like you found another way to entertain yourself with another man”

The words keep on playing inside her head like a broken record. It’s not the words he said, but the way he looks at her and the way he said those things makes her feel untrustworthy and disgusting to him. She curls now bringing her knees to her chest trying to soothe herself up when her eyes starting to feel hot and blurry. “Jiyong you jerk…” she whisper and cry herself to sleep.

 

His footsteps are getting heavy by the moment knowing that she is out of reach. He just want to run to her place and kneel down on his knees asking for forgiveness but due to his circumstances he knows it will be in vain. With his head down, he walks to his apartment with heavy heart.

“Hi Ji~” a seductive voice calls out his name and he looked up. Just when he thought he thought his day couldn’t get any more ed up than before, Haejin greets him in front of his door.

“Get the away from me” he said forming a fist and looking away. He opens up his door and before he knows it, Haejin enter his house and makes herself comfortable leaning on the wall in the living room. Jiyong stare at her, furious at her behaviour, instead of closing the door, he held it open.

“Get the out” he said with a stern voice.

“Oh Ji, you better get use of me being here and you might want to get your here and listen because this concerns of that little of yours.” She replied smugly.

Hearing her finished her sentence, he close the door abruptly and march towards her. The stare Jiyong gave her sends shivers to her spine but she try to look unaffected by it, suddenly Jiyong lift his right fist and punch the wall right next to Haejin’s ear. She can feel the force and close her eyes tightly.

“Don’t you EVER….EVER speak of her that way!!” he stare at her right in the eye. Her breathing move faster for a few moments before she breaks into a nervous laugh. She shoves his body away from her and moves to the middle of the living room.

“I come here to tell you that I will be coming here regularly and you better make sure that bi.. I mean Chaerin is not in the picture” she cross her arms.

Jiyong doesn’t know what to say and he just stood there.

“Get use to it” she continues.

Who is helping you to take those pictures?” he says coldly ignoring the things she said.

“I’ve got my people which are not important for you to know” she scoffs.

“Why are you doing this to me? You’ve torn me apart, haven’t you had enough?" Jiyong voiced out weakly.

“I’ve had my fair share of doing that to you and now, I just…. I want you back…” her voice change becoming more gentle than before.

“Can’t you see? I only want one person.. It’s Chaerin.. You can’t force love. You had your chance and you ruin it.” He said still not looking at her.

“How dare you! How dare you put everything on me! What about you Ji? I was ready to give up everything and focus on you alone but you just didn’t care, right? Instead you choose your career. Don’t pretend to be the ing victim here when you are just the same.” She’s goes in front of Jiyong and yells in his face.

“And that was the best decision I’ve ever made” he smirked.

*PANG!!* Haejin slaps him with all her might. If Jiyong wants to embarrased her, he succeed in making her feeling humiliated.

“I’m just going to pretend that this conversation didn’t happened.. I’ll see you tomorrow” she trembles and storm out of Jiyong’s apartment leaving him standing there.

“Chae… ” Her name is the only thing came out from his mouth. He doesn’t feel anything right now. The slap he got from Haejin is nothing compared to the pain inside his chest right now. He wants to scream and shout to let out his frustration but instead, he lay on the couch hopelessly unable to predict what future holds for him.

 


 

‘Falling in Love’ single is out today and the girls are in the studio preparing to record a new song. Two days have gone by since their party in NB1 and none of the girls knew what actually happened that night. Chaerin didn’t say anything about it and she is acting as usual with her cute and bubbly personality. Nothing’s change, nothing is out of the ordinary accept for her and Jiyong haven’t been in contact with each other since that night. She hasn’t seen him lurking around the building and it’s been lonely and painful to go through a day without his text or calls. All she can ever think of is that he is beginning to have a change of heart towards her. May be he is getting bored of her.

“Ahhh!! I don’t know!” without realizing, she was saying her thought out loud and Dara, Bom and Minzy turn to look at her startled by her.

“Are you okay?” Dara look at her concern.

“Yeah, I just…. I need a break” she stood up and exited the studio. She sigh and enter the elevator and press the floor to the roof top. She needs to clear her mind, she cannot stop thinking about him. the elevator stop at 6th floor and standing in front of her is Jiyong. They look into each other’s eyes with unspoken words unable to read the other party’s expression. Jiyong step into the elevator and stand far at the back without pressing any button.

“Going to the roof top?” Jiyong breaks the silence.

“Mmmhmm”

“Mind if I join you?”

There was a long pause before Chaerin finally nods “sure” she said.

They reached the roof top and Chaerin leads the way heading to one of the bench situated there followed by Jiyong who is watching her back. She is so close to him that if he reaches out his hand he can pull her into his embrace. He can smell the lovely scent of her perfume that he gave her for her birthday and smile. Jiyong stands in front of Chaerin who is sitting down looking at her with those eyes that he misses so much.

“How are you oppa?” she said with a smile. The whole situation is just awkward and she has a painful feeling that they are acting like strangers to each other.

“Fine. You? By the way, congratulations on 2NE1 single” he smile. All he wants to do is hug her and tell her he is sorry.

“Thanks….” she fake a smile.

“I have something to tell you…” he shifted to sit next to Chaerin and he puts on the face when he's in a tense situation.

“What oppa?” she had a bad feeling of what he’s going to say but still trying to sound calm.

“I… I think I need some space” he said looking away from her gaze.

“Space?” Chaerin ask trying to confirm what she heard just now.

“Mmhhmmm.. I umm, it’s hard to focus, cause you know, I have new album coming soon and so on…” he bow down unable to meet her eyes.

“Space?” she asked again and feel her hands trembling.

“I’m sorry…” Jiyong chokes.

“Oh…” she swallows.

“I’m sorry.. I’ll be going then…” he said and stand up.

“That’s it?” Chaerin ask in disbelief and Jiyong just stood there without any movements. “Look at me oppa” having said that, Chaerin goes in front of him who is still standing without making any sound or movement. She studied the man standing in front of her who is looking down on the floor not meeting her eyes.

Jiyong doesn’t want to look into her eyes because he is afraid if he does, he will become weak and change his mind. Haejin has been going to his place making him breakfast and dinner and try to make conversation with him but he ignores her. He never makes any type of contact with her and he never touches the food that she cooks. Despite all that, shamelessly she will force him to cuddle with her and watch the show on the television. Frustrated with his cold shoulder, she force him to prove to her that he is breaking up with Chaerin and never fails to insert the blackmail in each of her conversation making him hit a dead end. The reason why he is asking for space from Chaerin is for him to find ways on how to drive Haejin away from the picture and this is the first step he could think off. Youngbae is the only person he trust and told him about this. He agreed with Jiyong’s idea only after they get into a pretty heated arguement. He really wants to tell her about Haejin but he has no back-up plan at all and he feels no control over the whole situation.

“Are you going to end 'us'?” she grab his hands. Jiyong can feel her soft hands are trembling when holding his fingers.

“No... God no... I just need some space, Chae….” he lean his forehead into hers staying in that position until their breathing become one. Chaerin can feel something is bothering him and she is confused of the space he is asking right now. It feels like an excuse to her.

“Am I becoming a nuisance to you?” she whisper and pull herself away from Jiyong and lean at the rail looking at the breath taking view that have no impact towards her. Her heart is as dark as the cloud forming in the sky.

“Never think of you that way Chae. There are things that I can’t explain to you right now. It’s not you…..It’s  me.. I….” unable to continue his words thinking how much he wants to hug Chaerin from behind.

“How long?” she whisper and Jiyong replies with silence. Chaerin bite her lips feeling that this might be the end for them.

Jiyong can feel her heart being torn apart and finally he give in, he turn Chaerin to face him searching for her eyes but she just look down. He cups her face and kiss her forehead.

“I’m sorry….”  he said, but Chaerin can’t feel a thing. He turns away from her slowly exiting the roof top. She turns back around trying to understand the situation that happen just now. Thinking if he is getting tired of her. ‘is this how he try to get rid of all the girls before this? Am I just another conquest?’ she tilt her head back and close her eyes. A tear roll down her cheek and she quickly wipe it. ‘Be strong Lee Chaerin! It’s just space. He’s just asking for space’ she smiled, assuring herself but somehow the tears keep rolling down her cheeks.  

 


 

“Urghhhhh~~~~ today is tiring!! Let’s go eat meat just the four of us… It's time for another girl talk ~” Bom said and turn to the girls after they finished practicing for their second single “Do You Love Me’.

“Yes!! Let’s!!” Chaerin squeal looking a little bit more cheerful than usual. Nobody could expect that this girl had just gone through something bad just now. She came in the studio with a smile on her face wearing a sunglass to hide her swollen eye. It’s pretty common for them to see her wearing it so they didn’t question or expect her hiding anything . She acts as normally, focused on her work though when the girls ask about Jiyong she tried to change the topic.

“…and let’s get drunk!” Chaerin continue gaining a glare from Teddy.

“Yah yah… no alcohol! Your voice will become hoarse after that and you can’t sing well you know… you are performing Falling in Love at the stations in a week you know.” he advice the girls whom are pouting at him.

“Urghh~ let’s go now~” Dara said and suggested them to follow her car. After hugging and saying their goodbyes to Teddy they all go to their usual spot to enjoy their girls time together. They arrives at the restaurant and receive a warm welcome from the owner. They even signed their autograph to some fans and takes pictures before settling themselves.

“Ahhhh~~~~ finally!! I’m hungry~” Minzy said. Soon after, the waiter came and put the serving on their table and leave.

“So, what’s the news?” Dara said and nudge at Bom who is sitting next to her.

“What?” Bom look at them innocently and start placing the beef on the pan. Everybody fix their eyes on the sizzling beef in front of them.

“Yah unnie~ spill.” Chaerin said. Thruthfully, she is hurting right now but she choose to ignore the feeling when she remembers her father’s advice to her not long ago “You can dwell in your feelings but you had to be strong, and if you weren't strong, you're a victim and you're not going to make it. That was the reality when I was growing up”

It took her quite a while to regain her composure back on the roof top but she let it slide off her mind and focus on the present. If she thinks too much of her future with Jiyong, nothing can help her go through the day.

“I’m with Top” she said without looking at them and only focused on the beef “geez… when will this be ready” she continues.

The rest gasp and exchange looks “You!!! WHEN?” Dara squeal and yank her hand excitedly. Bom finally laugh at her member’s behaviour.

“Yah! Calm down… people are watching” Bom still smiling happy and content that now her members know about her and Top.

“So, all this while that you’re saying you gone back to your house…..you…to Seunghun oppa…place?” Minzy link her arm with Chaerin excitedly.

“Owww Mingkki ah, it hurts~” Chaerin said pushing Minzy a little bit.

“Omo, sorry unnie…” she chuckles.

Bom just smile suspiciously to them and continues attending the beef. “Unnieeeeee!! You're so sneaky!!” Chaerin making her laugh.

“Yah, you are the last person to judge me okay. Like you haven’t done that~” she rolls her eyes and Chaerin smile fades away almost instantly.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Dara noticed the change in her bestfriend’s expression causing Bom and Minzy to turn their attention to Chaerin.

“Nothing..” she fakes a smile.

“Number 1 rule of girl’s night out is you have to spill everything in here” Bom said while pointing to her chest.

“I never heard that rule~~” Chaerin rolls her eyes.

“I just made them” Bom chuckles.

“What’s wrong unnie?” now it’s the maknae’s turn to ask her a question.

“Aigoo~~ nothing you peopleeeee~~~~” Chaerin says cutely trying to hide her real emotion. What is she supposed to say? ‘Jiyong decided to have space in our relationship’ she knows exactly what Bom will say. She will immediately call Jiyong and pester him with all the questions in the world and end up nagging at him. Dara on the other hand will starts to reminiscing their time together and go wayyyy ahead to the future and ask Chaerin to think why he is like that and end up being emotional shedding tears. Minzy will be the most rational one who will give her support and to be as optimistic as she can be. She can’t handle all that right now, so she decides to keep quite.

“wow~~~~ this looks delicious!” Chaerin took a piece of meat and make it into a wrap. She feeds Bom hoping that they will not ask anymore further about it. “Congratulations to you Bommieeee!!! I am so happy for you!!” she said making Dara and Minzy turn back their attention to Bom. They finally start enjoying their meal and having their girls talk.

 


 

Dara and Chaerin enter into their apartment feeling full from the dinner just now. Dara is observing her bestfriend’s behaviour and notice something is different. She grab Chaerin’s arm and drag the startled Chaerin to sit on the couch.

“Okay,now you can talk.” She said sitting in front of her.

“Unniee.. I’m tired, let’s go to bed okay?” she said.

“No, wifey… tell now or I’ll keep on bugging you about it.”

“Unnie, please…”

“Chaerin, please… Please share with me your problems… please…” Dara pleads. She knows Chaerin is the type who rarely share about her story with people regardless if she is close with them and it sometimes eat Chaerin alive, emotionally. But if people doesn’t know her, they wouldn’t know and Dara is one of those people who can detect if there is something wrong with the leader. Well, they don’t call themselves as bestfriends without reason.

“He ask for space..” Chaerin mutter the words after contemplates for a while.

“Who? What space” Dara frowns not quite getting a ckue in what she's talking about.

“Jiyong” Chaerin replied. 

Clueless on how to react, Dara stare at Chaerin who is looking down on her palm.

“He asked for space because he wants to focus on his new album and maybe I’m becoming too clingy for him or he’s starting to get bored with me” she exhale heavily.

“He did not just said that” Dara gasp and speaks in a stern voice.

“He didn’t…. but I feel like it…” Chaerin rest her head on Dara’s shoulder.

“Chae-ah…. There must be a good reason and I’m going to find out about it. I’ll talk to him.” she said confused about the whole thing. She thought they are doing well because just few days ago Chaerin and Jiyong were talking in a secret ‘language’ in the studio that only they can understand and she even caught them making out in his car when she was going home the other night. What’s with the sudden news? ‘There must be something wrong’

“Please don’t unnie.. I don’t want to make it worse. Can we pretend that you doesn’t know about this? and please don’t tell Bommie unnie and Minji… I don’t want them to worry….please~”

“Hmm…”

“No hmm… pinkie promise me” she said holding up her pinkie to Dara who heavily lifts her little finger and links it with Chaerin’s.

“Don’t worry CL-roo, he’ll come to his senses soon” Dara pat Chaerin’s head lightly.

“I think so too…” even Chaerin herself isn't convinced by the word she said.

 


 

It’s an everyday struggle for Chaerin to control herself from her routine of calling and texting him. For the first few days she will always have her phone in her hand composing a text to Jiyong and delete it afterwards feeling like a fool. Then, she’ll end up reciting motivational quotes to herself to keep her mind strong about the whole matter. It’s hurting her more than she knows, when there are no single calls or text from him, the constant battle between her heart and mind sometimes wears her out. Luckily practice and performance is making her busy at the moment. She’s thankful of the promotional activities they need to attend almost every day and slowly she can now focus on 2NE1 more and less towards the whole ‘space’ thing between her and Jiyong.

Days gone by and it’s almost two weeks passed her life without Jiyong. it’s funny, no matter how much she prays so they can accidentally bump into each other, it never happens. Some of the days, she even come early to YG and stayed late till midnight hoping that she can meet him at the studio but it’s always end up empty or occupied by others. Finally she came up with her own conclusion that he is avoiding her. However, no matter how strong a person is, they will crumble at one point and Chaerin is no exception. It was when the four of them are practicing for the live performance on music bank she become frustrated when she couldn’t hit the note and was singing completely off key. She threw a fit for the first time and sits in the corner of the room giving cold shoulder to her team mates. After few moments, she apologizes to her group members and Bom as usual with her crazy antics jumps around her, happy she’s back to her usual self and thanks to her, everything went back to normal. Except for Dara who couldn’t bare watching Chaerin, because she knows exactly the reason why she’s acting that way and she could not afford to to stand by the side and be the on lookers.

Dara has been taking notes on the way Chaerin behave recently and and secretly she always lurking in YG trying to locate Jiyong's presence but she can't seem to find him anywhere in the building.

She can’t stand it anymore.

She knows exactly what she’s going to do…..

She is going to take the extreme measures.