Happy

Monochrome

The waitress brings a cup of Caffe Latte that he ordered, while he’s sitting alone in the corner table near the window. The air is cold outside, his deep gaze wandering through the street, observing people who walk with thick clothes out there. Funny, he thought, because even though it’s cold outside, but those people look happy…and warm. Walking side by side with friends or family, laughing along the way, while the shimmering lights of Christmas decoration become their background. It’s lovely scenery. He used to eagerly capture that kind of moment. Just that kind of random but nice-to-see moment. Actually he bring his camera on his bag right now, but this time…he just wanna see it, feel it and capture it with his own eyes…

 

Myungsoo smiles remembering how he craved for capturing lovely scenery on his camera in the past. He was afraid, that he won’t see more beautiful moment than that. He was worried that he won’t get the chance to experience the prettier moment, that what’s waiting ahead him would be worse. Because he once lived in a fear…of losing. That’s why he was eager to capture every single moment. The beautiful one. Well, good thing…he grew up. Now Myungsoo just smiles at that beautiful scenery. While deep in his heart he knows, he believes…there will be a lot of amazing moment waiting ahead him. Those things will be better. That there are at least a few thing in life that he won’t lose. Sure growing up , but sometimes it makes some good changes.

 

His train of thoughts disturbed by the sound of clanking bell on the coffee shop’s door, indicating there’s someone entering the shop. Myungsoo smiles knowing that person is the one that he’s been waiting for. That girl wearing her blue navy coat, smiling and walking towards him. She takes off her coat revealing yellow blouse that she wears, while casually sitting on the chair across him.

“Hi…God, it’s freezing outside…How long you’ve been waiting?”

“Not too long. I ordered for you. Caramel Machiatto Large, no whipped cream.” Myungsoo pointed at the served cup in front of him.

“Ow, thanks…You have no idea how long I’ve been craving for coffee.”

Bora laughs, and like Myungsoo said before, her laughs is addictive. It forced people around her to laugh too. She gulps down her coffee, before look straight at Myungsoo’s face and smiling.

“It’s been a while…”

“Right. I don’t remember when the last time we hang out is.” He smiles too.

“Soju in the city park…that’s when.”

They laugh after that. Remembering that tough night, when both of them were cry. When things were complicated back then. When they hurt each other's heart.

“Yeah. How are you, Myungsoo?” Her pretty eyes scanning down on him.

“Fine. Like you see. Breathing, living, gulping down Caffe Latte while listening to some cheesy old love songs.”

“Cheesy? Come on! It’s The Bee Gees. They’re old but far from cheesy…” She argued.

“I know…Geez, I won’t debate you on music, okay…”

They laugh again. Myungsoo knew he will never defeat Bora when they talk about music. Well, a music magazine editor knows averything about it.

“Anyway how are you?” Now he asked back.

“Me?”

“Yeah, how are you, Noona? Or should I say…Mrs.Lee?” He teased. Bora giggles on the nickname. At that moment the infinity ring on her finger shine prettily because of the caffee’s shimmering light.

“God, this is embarrassing…”

“I heard it. But I bet it was sweet. Isn’t it?” He asked.

“It is. You have no idea how shocked I am.” She said, while caressing ring on her finger, while her face making a wide smile.

“Tell me about it. The whole story.”

“Nope. I’m too shy…Hoya is far from romantic. I know he was trying too, but it’s awkward…like he always be.” She said playfully. Myungsoo just chuckles.

“But you love him to the moon and back. Come on…Hyung won’t tell me the whole story, because his face turns into tomato when he remembers it.”

“Because it is actually a little bit funny…and crazy.”

“Of course it’s crazy…I mean, you guys married in the physic therapy center’s church. Without even telling anyone. Not even your parents. Not even me.” He pouted like a little kid. He was happy, shock and mad at the news...so are Hoya and Bora's parent when they know that the couple married so suddenly that night.

“Hey, don’t be mad. I wasn’t know that I’m gonna marry him that night. It was just a silly bet…”

“Bet?”

“Yeah…we made a bet. Actually, Hoya is the one who suggested it.”

“What kind of bet?”

“If he can walk for twenty meters without any help or crutches, I will do anything that he wants. And when I asked about what he want, turns out...he want to pull out this crazy stunt.”

 “But hyung is still too weak…it must be hard.”

“It is…but Hoya is Hoya. He really is crazy. He fell, many times…and it breaks me to see him struggling to get up again. But he did got up. And try to walk again with that silly big smile of him.” She said while her eyes wandering through the air and her mind reminiscing the memory of that night. Myungsoo stares at her carefully, noticing how that lovely face burried emotions within.

“I had the urge to strangle him down and dragged him home, because it was silly. Seeing him forcing himself for some random bet. I was mad, because I hate to see him suffering. Falling a few times, because clearly he's still too weak. But you know him…huge pride, stubborn head. He said to me, ‘You may think this is silly, but it really mean a lot to me. If I can do this, that’s mean I will still be able to stand up for myself again. That I’m still the invincible-but stupid-and stone head Lee Howon who try his best on everything."

Now Myungsoo see the corner of her eyes shimmer. A few tear drops along with her smile. She scoffed while wiping the water on her cheek. There's a pause moment and Myungsoo just did nothing but stare at her. She smiles before continue her story.

“Those words hit me hard. Then I remember why I fell in love with him. Hoya might be stubborn and sassy, but he never gives up on everything. That’s what I love about him.”

“Just like how he was never giving up on me. No matter how bad I am.” He speaks. She nodded.

“Yeah…” She smiles, and Myungsoo too…realizing how Hoya is so significant in their life.

“He still annoying sometimes, though…” He said jokingly.

“No doubt about that. His nagging…urghh…” She rolled her eyes playfully. They laugh together. Warm feeling on their chest and it feels nice.

“Wow…look at us…Aren’t we so lucky? No matter how bad things were, we come through.” He said and she just scoffed in agreement.

“Yeah…anyway,what about you and Soyu? I like that girl, she’s one of a kind.”

Soyu and Bora met a few times. Clearly, those two girls get along so well. Maybe because both are weird in their own way.

“She is. But you know…she’s young, smart, bold and have a lot ahead of her future. I’d like to take it slow with her.”

“You guys will be fine. I believe it.”

“I know.” He takes her cup and drink the rest of his coffee, that's when he realize that Bora look at him with a serious gaze.

“Myungsoo, can I ask you a serious question?” She boldly said.

“How serious?”

“Very…This question has been lingering on my mind all this time.” She said. Deep down inside he know what she actually want to ask.

“Sure, go ahead.” 

She bites her lower lip before talk, take a deep breathe before staring back at his face.

“When you said that you fall in love with me, is it true? I mean…did you really mean it?” 

At that moment it feels like time just stops. Or maybe just the silence filled their air. Making 'How Deep Is Your Love by The Bee Gees clearly heard from the caffee's speaker. Myungsoo looking down while smiling. He sighed, before looking up again.

“Do you want me to answer it seriously too?”

“Sure...just tell me yes or no.”

He clears his throat, smiling, eyes gazing at her who still staring at his face.

“In the past I used to forced my self that it’s no…I wasn’t fall in love with you. That it’s all just jealousy of my brother’s perfect and happy life, that somehow I wanted to ruin it. I told my mind, that I was just lonely, then you were there, coincidentally…smile on your face, telling me it will be okay, that I’m not a toy and I’m not broken. I thought that’s why I feel like I want you…but maybe I wasn’t really fall in love with you…”

He smiles, and stops a little to think. On the other hand Bora stay still, like a perfect listener.He takes a deep breathe before speaks again.

“But now I think it’s wrong…it’s more than that. Now, that I think about it…all those feeling that I used to feel around you,how I feel like smiling everytime I see you smile and how I like the way talk and the way your hair fall down on you shoulder…I think it was really love…”

She was stunned. Like just a little bit surprised, but she manages to keep her composure and keep listening. While Myungsoo makes a big grin, eyeing her face with a soft expression.

“But do you know what makes me feel sure that it is really love? It’s the fact that now you’re happy and your happiness makes me feel happy too. When you love someone, you will feel happy when that person is happy, right? Even though I’m not the source of your happiness. That’s what I feel about you now…”

He smiles, doesn't know why but it feels so warm. Maybe because it was and honest and sincere smile. Or maybe because Bora is holding his hand right now, also with a warm smile in her face.

“Thank you, Myungsoo…”

“Just keep being happy like this. And make Hoya-hyung happy too.”

“I will.” She nodded.

“You have to be happy too, Myungsoo. You deserved it.”

“You know I’m working on it.”

“I will miss you…we will miss you when you’re going to Japan.”

“Then send me videos, or cards, or money…well, I think I prefer money.” He said playfully.

“Have you tell Soyu about it?”

“Not yet.”

“Why?”

“I don’t know how to tell her. Maybe I’m afraid, that we won’t work out anymore if I tell her. And…like I said before, she’s young…it will be unfair if I ask her to wait for me.” He looks down at her empty coffee cup.

“Still, you have to tell her.” She said. He just nodded. Knowing she is right. That's the time when her phone is ringing to a message she just recieved.

“I need to go, I have to pick Hoya up.” She said while taking her bag from the chair beside her.

“Sure. Thanks for it.”

“I had a great time.”

"Me too." A wide smile is what Myungsoo said before she stands up to leave the table. But a second later she turns around, looking straight back at him.

“Myungsoo-ya…we’ll always be good friend, right?” She asked innocently.

“Sure…” Myungsoo smiles.

“Thank you, Myungsoo…”

 

For understanding me, for loving me…and for letting me go…

 

He watch her back leaving and fading behind the caffee's door, then he sighed and smile. Now back all alone in that table. Eyes back wandering outside the glass window to the street that still filled with people walk. That's when his phone ringing, and his smiles wider knowing who's calling.

"Hi..." An innocence voice greets.

“Where are you now?” He asked.

“About ten meters away from you. Hiding on the corner table. Watching my boyfriend just had a date with a girl that he once fall in love with who also happen to be her newly sister in law.”

He laughs, well...this girl always witty and mischevious.

“Come on…you are the one who suggest that I should meet her. Come on here.”

Then he saw a girl in blue sweater who previously sit on the other corner of caffee standing up,still holding phone on her ear, she smiles playfully while walking towards him. He greets her with his best smiles as she sit across him. The chair that Bora previously occupied.

“How is it going?” She asked. Myungsoo smiles before holding her hands, carressing tiny fingers of her girl friend.

“Good. I feel good that I let it all out.”

“I told you.”

Myungsoo nodded, hands still intertwined with her. He takes a deep breath before looking at her with his sharp gaze. 

“Soyu-ah…We need to talk about something.”

“Then talk…”

“I’m going to Japan next month.”