Family

Monochrome

Myungsoo keep walking in the side of the road of Seomyeon. This street is quiet crowded, because it is located near shopping center, just like the Gangnam of Busan. Myungsoo keeps walking through the pedestrian way without any direction, ignoring his tired mind and body…also ignoring Hoya who keeps following him from behind.

“Soo…hey, wait! Where are you going?” Hoya’s voice behinds Myungsoo just keeps following.

“Leave me alone, hyung…”

“Okay. After you told me, where are you going?” Hoya is sure stubborn.

“Why are you here? How do you know that I’m here?” Myungsoo finally stop and turns around facing his stubborn brother.

“Well…mom called me. Saying some random woman asking about your contact number. She was carelessly giving it to her, but freaked out after that. She’s afraid if that woman is some freak kidnapper and asks me to look up into her. Turns out it is Mrs. Han. Then I found out her husband’s connection with you. And…mom begged me to find you. She was so worry about you. Well…you should actually see her freaked out face…she even said that ‘A young man with the cute and handsome face like Myungsoo is prone to danger. Find him Howon-ah… Somebody might kidnap him.” Hoya laughs after mimicking his own mother. Myungsoo just looks at the older guy in dazed. Lee Howon really looks like a fool right now.

“Then go now. You know I’m not in danger. I’m perfectly okay. No one kidnaps me.” Myungsoo turns around again and keeps walking.

“What? Hell…no. I took almost freaking 3 hours train to reach this place. There’s no way you shoved me away after couple minutes conversation.”

“Hyung…please…” Myungsoo sounds like begging while keeps walking. To be honest, he feels so tired and breathless right now. But his pride is just too high to accept Hoya’s help.

“I’m not going anywhere, Soo…because I know you’re not okay.” Hoya said in serious tone.

Myungsoo stops himself from walking; still back facing the older man. Again, the pain in his chest hit him hard. Tears flow again, it’s too late to wipe it away, Hoya already saw that. Myungsoo put his left hand leaning on the wall of the road side, while his right hand is on his chest, trying to calming himself down. But it doesn’t work. Myungsoo sobbed and panting heavily. He feels suffocating, just like out of breathe. Hoya rushed towards him.

“Hey…Soo…aare you okay?” Hoya looks at him with worry expression.

“It hurts.” Myungsoo just muttered.

“W…where? What hurts? Tell me…” The older man starts checking up on him while placing his hand on Myungsoo’s shoulder.

“It hurts for me to see him. I never thought it will be this painful.” Myungsoo barely breathing.

“Sshh…Soo, its okay…its okay. I’m here.” Hoya pulls him close and rubbed his back, trying to calm him down. Myungsoo starts crying, forgetting about his pride.

“I’m stupid, hyung…really stupid.”

“No, you’re not. You’re not stupid, Soo.”

“I’m stupid for expecting too much from him. I wish he knows more about me. I wish he knows about my life, my hardship, my stories. I wish he would look up into it…or at least gave a try to know about it. But he didn’t. He just knows nothing about me. He just…he just…talk about my mom all the time. How much he loves her, but nothing about me.” He broke down. Hoya gripped into him tighter.

“Soo…it’s okay.”

“I’m so stupid for expecting him to know. I should’ve known that I was nothing for him. Even I just found out that he was freaked out after know that I exists. He ran away…and he didn’t look back. Then why I have to feel hurt? Why I have to feel disappointed? I knew he never wants me anyway.”

“Stop it okay…it doesn’t matter he wants you or not.” Hoya feels his heart breaking, when he feels Myungsoo's shoulder shakes.

“Yeah, it shouldn’t be matter. That’s why I feel so stupid for this feeling. For these wishes. I’m stupid.” He sobbed harder, feeling so worse right now.

“Kim Myungsoo…You’re not stupid okay. So stop telling yourself that you are stupid for feeling hurt. Because you can’t choose what you want to feel. This stupid goddamned life chooses it for you. So you’re not the stupid one. The universe is. You got it, right?” Hoya smiles while looks straight into Myungsoo’s eyes. Myungsoo just looks down, gripping tightly on Hoya's hand, hoping for some comforts. 

 

Myungsoo wakes up and finds himself in a fluffy bed. He looks around this unfamiliar room. That’s the time he remembers, he and Hoya were checking in at the hotel near Busan city hall. Actually it is a nice hotel, but Myungsoo was too tired to look around and end up fall asleep in the room after all his emotional break down today.

“You’re awake?” Hoya walks out from the bathroom, rubbing his hair with a towel.

“Mmm…yeah.”

“Go shower. It’s refreshing. Then let’s get something for dinner.” He smiles.

“I don’t feel like getting out.” Myungsoo muttered.

“Well, then we can just order in. Pizza, jajjangmyun, pancake…or maybe…soju?” Hoya smiles while imagining soju. He’s a tough drinker, just like his girlfriend.

“Hyung…I..actually…” Myungsoo looks at his brother with an embarrassed expression.

“What?”

“I don’t know why you do this. But I’m glad that you’re with me earlier.”

“Good to know that I’m reliable brother after all.” Hoya grins.

“And I’m sorry.” Myungsoo said that unexpectedly. Making Hoya surprised.

“For what?”

“Every thing. Please don’t make me say that to you again, but I did horrible things to you out of jealousy and anger…and denial.”

“Then forget it…forget that horrible things.” Hoya said easily.

“It can’t be that way. I did wrong, and…and I hurt you…and it is not right because you are the one who always stand by me every time things get worse, but I’m just act like an …not just push you away…I got annoyed by you and…and…”

“I’m sorry that I annoyed you.”

“No! That’s not what I mean, hyung…I mean…I got pissed off for no reason and…I…I end up hurting you and Bora-noona…and this is just…” Myungsoo feels frustrated.

“Soo, calm down…okay…what are you trying to say?” Hoya looks at him closely, trying to figure out what the younger boy means.

“I’m sorry. I’m so sorry.” Myungsoo looks at Hoya straightly.

“Apology accepted.” Hoya smiles while turns around and walks towards the mirror to fix his hair.

“That’s it? That’s…too…easy, hyung.” Myungsoo looks at him in dazed.

“Well, that’s it. That’s indeed easy.” Hoya said effortlessly while combing his hair.

“But…”

“Hey, let me ask you one thing…. Do you know why child complaint the most to their parents? Or why brothers fight the most to each other? Or why sisters sulk the most to each other? Or why kids whine the most to their siblings?” Hoya asked random questions. Myungsoo can’t really think at the time like this.

“Errr…no…”

“Because they know, no matter how bad they’re fight, or how hard they’re whine…they will never lose each other. Because they’re family. It’s different from lovers or friends quarrels. Family…they have unbreakable bond and no matter how bad they argue, things will be better between them at the end. They will always reunite. Like all the family does.”

Myungsoo can saw Hoya is smiling through the mirror’s reflection. He just keep silent, somehow it’s weird how Hoya  can be so wise at giving quotation. Sometimes Myungsoo thought Hoya is not an architect, he’s a philosopher.

“And that’s we are, Soo…So don’t worry, our fights were nothing. We used to have the bloody one in elementary school. Remember, you were once throw a broom to my face until I got nosebleed because I ruined your Pororo game board?” Hoya laughs. Myungsoo laughs too. Yeah, that was indeed a ‘bloody’ fight. They both cried that time, but miraculously they just need a day to reconcile and the next day they went to school holding hands like usual. Myungsoo laughs imagining that time. It’s funny how he just realizes... that despite all the bad things in his life, he still managed to get a happy childhood.

“And where do you get this quotation?” Myungsoo finally asked a few moments after he realize that Hoya’s saying is too wise to come from his own mind.

“A random book that dad gives me for last year birthday. I’m quoting the epilogue. Impressive, right?”

“Ah…I almost got tricked.” Myungsoo scoffed. Hoya laughs.

“Shut up…get shower already…I’m hungry!”

 

Myungsoo smiles to the old man in front of him. He won’t lie, his heart still beating like crazy. But for right now, he got more courage. He knows that he’s doing the right thing. And things will be better after this. It will be better…

“I’m glad you’re willing to see me again.” Mr. Han smiles, looks so happy to see Myungsoo.

“Yeah, I have to settle it down, Sir. I’m sorry that I harshly run away yesterday.”

“Don’t be. I’m sorry…because I did make you feel hurt yesterday. It must be hard for you. I don’t mean that.”

“I know.” Myungsoo smiles.

“I’m glad Howon-ssi showed up.”

“Hyung is outside right now, speaking with your wife.”

“Really? I feel so grateful; you have people who take care of you until you grow up so well like this. That's the things that I should’ve done to you.” The old man looks at Myungsoo with a wondering eyes. Myungsoo smiles again before take a deep breathe.

“You’ve done talking yesterday, Sir. Now it’s my turn.”

“What?”

“Give me ten minutes. Ah..no…five minutes is enough. Let me speak and please don’t interrupted. Can you?” Myungsoo said. The man in front of him smiles, he doesn't expect that Myungsoo will do the thing like he did yesterday.

“Okay.”

“I want to tell you a story about a cold guy. Yeah, at least that’s what he looks like. A typical cold city guy. He may appear chic, cool and fearless, but deep inside he’s just a young boy. He’s weird, fragile and lacks of many things. Things never go right for him since the beginning. Not just because he’s imperfect, but he’s also unlucky. He lost many things…desperate. Almost giving up in the middle. He made a lot of mistakes.” Myungsoo chuckles.

“He can end up being a villain like character in the movie, but he didn’t. You know why? Because he have people around him. Like I said before, this guy is cold and ruthless; he’s to busy hurting himself without realizing that actually he was never alone. He’s always being loved. He may realize it late…but at least he knows it now. When things get worse, he knows…he has some shoulders to lean on.”

“So what I’m trying to say to you is… You don’t need to feel guilty or pity to this guy. You don’t need to worry about him, because right now he’s strong enough to handle the life. You may do a lot of mistakes to him, but that’s what people do…making mistakes. It’s unfortunate.”

“Myungsoo…” Mr. Han smiles between his tears. Myungsoo is smiling too. He takes a deep breathe before continue.

“I can’t say that I forgive you, Sir…because I can’t lie, it still feels hurt to stand in front of you right now. But don’t worry…don’t worry about me. People get hurt every time. Pain is always a part of human life. So I’ll be okay… Don’t worry about that.”

Myungsoo give the older man a smile. Before turns around to say goodbye.

“My five minutes is up, right?”

 

Myungsoo walks along the corridor of that house. He’s about to go out and walks to the living room where Hoya talks with Mrs. Han. Myungsoo stops his footstep and hide behind the walls when he hears his name being mention in Hoya and Mrs. Han conversation.

“I’m sorry if my action by forcing Myungsoo-goon to meet my husband is reckless. I didn’t know that Myungsoo will be that hurt.” Mrs. Han’s voice sounds so low.

“Please don’t be sorry… You didn’t know that will happen anyway. I understand that you just want to fulfill your husband’s wish.” Myungsoo saw Hoya smiles.

“I feel so bad…to know that Myungsoo is so fragile. I realize that my husband has been unaware of hurting him.

“Mrs. Han…there’s something that you need to know about Myungsoo.” Hoya’s voice sounds so determined. Myungsoo can’t help but feeling anxious. He doesn’t know what Hoya would say about him.

“We’ve been growing up together, so at the end we end up know each other too well. Like you said, Myungsoo is so fragile. In the surface. He looks so delicate and when we’re kid he really was easily got sick. He was a cry baby too.” Hoya chuckles before continue.

“But he’s growing up…and life threw a lot of thing on him. He got hurt. But he took all that pain bravely. Sure there’s a moment when he’s on the edge, but at the end he’s always come through. It’s not an easy thing, Mrs. Han…to keep stand up after all horrible stuffs that happens to him. You and I may not be able to do what Myungsoo do. Do you know that till right now Myungsoo still taking pictures even though he’s clearly knows that he’s colorblind? People might think he’s stubborn. But that’s who he is…Myungsoo is tough. So please don’t underestimate him…he’s more than capable.” Hoya said surely.

“I know. I’m just…can’t help but feels worry…How long he will be able to keep up? What if things get worse? Please don’t get me wrong, Howon-ssi…to be honest, I don’t mind to take care of him.” Mrs. Han words make Myungsoo surprised a little. So that woman really think about taking him into her family. Myungsoo wants to laugh. But at that moment he hears another answer from Hoya.

“Please don’t worry about that either, Mrs. Han. Please believe in him. Myungsoo is never alone. When thing gets worse, he will always have someone to lean on. Myungsoo has a family. And of course friends. And they love him so much. They’re willing to stand by him anytime. So don’t be worry about that…he will be okay.” Hoya smiles at the end.

So is Myungsoo who still hiding behind the wall.