Wonderwall

Monochrome

“Myungsoo? Son, I need your help. Could you please take the car to Park-ahjussi’s shop? I think there are a little bit problems on the left front light.”

“Okay. I’ll bring it there, uncle.”

“Drive safely then.”

Myungsoo walk to the parking lot where the car’s parked while busy holding his phone. His eyes staring at the last text he got fro Soyou, wondering why that girl has been not replying his text since two days ago. He sighed, wondering if he has done or said something wrong. But he can’t figure it out, beside Soyou is always a calm person, she’s cool. She’s not the type of a girl that will be mad at the slight silly mistake. These thought floating around his mind as he drives.

The car finally arrived at an auto shop belongs to his uncle’s friend. Myungsoo get out from the car, smiling and greeting Park-ahjussi that he hasn’t been meet for a long time.

“Uncle wants ahjussi to check on the left front lamp. Maybe it’s the circuit because the light is not as bright as the right one.”

“Arasso, I’ll check on that.” Park-ahjussi said and Myungsoo nodded. That’s the moment when Myungsoo saw a familiar figure walks pass by the auto shop. The way she walks, her vibe and her clothes and her guitar case are too familiar for Myungsoo. He startled a little before shouting.

“Soyou? Hmm…Soyou-ah!” He shouts her name, but that figure just keeps walking. Myungsoo wonders if maybe his voice is too low or she just pretends that she doesn’t listen. Without thinking to much he decides to run after her.

“Soyou-ah…Hey, where are you going?” He keeps asking but she just keeps walking towards the crowded pedestrian walk. Myungsoo gets frustrated and run faster so that he can get a chance to grab her hand.

“What’s wrong with you?” Soyou shouts the moment when Myungsoo holds onto her wrist.

“No. You are the one who’s wrong. Why do I get a feeling that you’ve been avoiding me lately? What’s wrong Soyou-ah?” He asked. Soyou just keeps silent. Just like she wants to talk but she can’t. Her breathe seems intense as Myungsoo gazed strongly at her.

“Did I do or say something wrong? Talk to me.” He said. She looks down at the ground.

“No, you didn’t. You did nothing wrong. It’s just me.”

“And what’s that mean?” No answer for about a minute. Soyou just stares at him in a vague expression and Myungsoo can’t figure it out why she’s like that.

“I’m afraid, okay!” She said in a frustrated tone.

“What? Afraid of what?” Myungsoo scoffed.

Soyou just stares before shook her hand from Myungsoo’s hold and without a warning run as fast as she can towards the crowded street. Myungsoo just stares at her dumbfounded. His mind just lost along with Soyou’s figure that also blended behind the crowd of people there. She disappears between people’s back, while her mind just hold on tight on the thing she couldn’t say.

You. I’m afraid of you. I’m afraid that I might fall for you.

***

Hoya who’s still lying on his bed got startled when he feels someone lying beside him and hugging his waist. It can’t be Bora, she loves him, but she’s not too daring at skin ship, especially when the nurse used to walk into his room at anytime. He turns his head and finds Myungsoo hugging him with eyes tight shut.

“Why? What’s wrong with you? Bora will get jealous if she sees us.”

“Please let me stay like this for a while, hyung.” Myungsoo whispered while still have his eyes closed.

“What’s wrong with you? Are you drunk?” He scoffed.

“Hyung, am I scary?”

“Hmm…scary? No. But you are annoying sometimes. Really annoying.” Hoya jokes.

“Hyung I’m serious.”

“O…kay. Seriously, Soo…What’s wrong with you?”

“Someone just said that she’s afraid, so she’s been avoiding me. I wonder if she might be afraid of me.” Myungsoo said while opening his eyes. Then he tells Hoya everything. About the encounter she had with Soyou this day. About anxious and weird feeling that he had after that. Hoya just listens and once in a while smiling. He’s always been a good listener. But at the end, after Myungsoo finished the entire story, he turns his head around and smack the younger’s head.

“Aaakck? What was that for?” Myungsoo shouts while clutching on his head.

“For your extreme stupidity. Aigoo, Soo…as long as I remember you’ve always been a bright kid. I don’t remember that you can be this stupid. Argh…you’re frustrating me, really.”

“What do you mean? I don’t get it.”

“Aishh…Soo, think about it. You and Soyou have been spending a lot of time lately. And from the way you guys talk and see each other I know she’s an important for you, right?”

“I guess so. She’s my friend.”

“She’s afraid at you, moron! To be exact, she’s afraid to fall in love with you! And from the way she’s been avoiding you, it seems like she already fell.”

“She falls for me? Hyung, don’t be kidding…She can’t be…”

“Can’t she?”

“I don’t know…it’s just…She’s too young, hyung… I don’t really see her that way.”

“What way?”

“That…way…”

“Are you sure?” He asked and Myungsoo can’t answer. The younger man just stares blankly. Hoya wants to laugh seeing that face. Myungsoo really looks like a little boy right now.

“You did admit that she understands you the best. You guys share each other story. And you may not realize it, but only in a few days she’s avoiding you is enough to make you feel this weird. Still sure you don’t see her ‘that’ way?”

“You think I’m might fall for her too?” Myungsoo chuckled.

“I don’t know…You decide it.” Hoya said easily, Myungsoo just lost words, before finally let out a sigh.

“The thing is…I just…don’t want our relationship to turn that way. I don’t want it to be love, because…I’m still afraid.” Myungsoo bites his bottom lips. Hoya smiles slowly facing his little brother and place his hand on Myungsoo’s shoulder.

“Soo, you know how Bora and I met, right? Yeah…we had a very weird encounter. I bet she told you. The thing is…sometimes I find it so strange. How much possibility that a weird drunk girl would spill her coffee on my design assignment? How much possibility I get very mad and chase a person off the train even though I know she didn’t ruin my design intentionally? How many times in life I get a chance to dance with that drunken girl at night in the park? And of course…how much possibility that the girl is her…the one that I finally fall for?”

Hoya’s eyes wondering through the air. Myungsoo finds something different on his eyes. It is honesty.

“The thing is, Soo…we can’t control those things. It may sounds cliché, but I guess it’s what people called fate. Same thing about love…I think you can’t control it. When, where, who or how to fall. You just…fall.”

“I’m just…not sure.” Myungsoo scoffed.

“You said earlier, right? She’s important for you…but how important?” Hoya asked, making Myungsoo drown in silence once more.

***

She walks on the street with anxious feeling. To be honest, she really doesn’t want to work in her usual part-time job today, but she has been absent for a while and the café owner is kind enough to let her because she ‘said’ that she’s been working on some important school project. But she feels bad for lying so she decide to go for today. She knows her decision is wrong when she saw a young man in a black shirt sitting in the front table. Unintentionally their eyes met, they both get startled. She turns her direction around and start walking fast. But he’s fast enough to chase her off.

“Soyou-ah…Ya! Kang Soyou, wait!”

She walks faster to the bus stop and quickly get on the random bus that’s coincidentally stop there. Unfortunately that young man also fast enough to catch the same bus. There’s no seat left, so they just stand. Myungsoo approaching her, and she hates how that makes her feel more anxious.

“We need to talk.”

“Talk then.”

“After this bus stopped somewhere.”

“Good. Because I don’t know when or where it will stop.” She chuckled coldly.

“I can wait.” Myungsoo said while grabbing her hand and hold it tight. She seems startled and glares at that young man. Myungsoo just smiles childishly.

“We have a lot to talk about so don’t you dare to run away from me again.” He said while hold tighter on her hands. She wants to protest but the she doesn’t want people to look at them weirdly so at the end she just sighed. The bus keep moving and they stay like that for more than twenty minutes. For those twenty minutes she can’t even look at him in the eye. On the opposite he just holds on tighter, like he never wants to let it go. That awkward ends when the bus finally stop in the station near Incheon. They both get off and walk on fast pace.

“What do you want to talk about, ahjussi?” She asked while keep walking.

“I know what you’ve been afraid of.” Myungsoo walks beside her, somehow his sentence makes her slowing her walk pace. She boldly stares at him.

“You’re afraid if me.” Myungsoo bluntly said.

“No. To be exact I’m just afraid…”

“That you might fall for me?” He cut her sentences.

“Why Soyou-ah? You don’t have to avoid me for days.”

“Because it hurts, stupid!” She shouts so furiously, making Myungsoo shocked. He never saw her that mad. To be honest he doesn’t know what to do, because it seems like she’s going to explode with emotion.

“Because it hurts and I hate how this silly thing makes me hurting. Because lately every time I saw you, I feel weird feeling. Same thing that I feel about Sunggyu but stronger. I used to give no care to other people, not even to my mother, but I hate myself for caring so much about you. Because when I saw you my expectation risen, and I hate that because expectation is worst enemy. Because I know damn well, that you don’t see me that way. Because somehow I know you just gonna be ‘another Sunggyu’ for me. It’s gonna be another foolish unrequited feeling. Because you’re not attracted to me. Because this feeling is stupid. Because… I’m stupid.” She laughs even though there’s nothing funny. But it feels sad…and for the first time Myungsoo notices that her eyes is glittering with a few drops of tears. He can’t help but feel guilty.

“Who said that I’m not attracted to you?” He said in a low tone.

“What?” She looks dumbfounded.

“How dare you think that I’m just gonna be ‘another’ Sunggyu?” His voice rose.

“You’re right. You are stupid, Soyou-ah. Just like me. It took me long enough time to figure it out. But I think about it more. Then I figure it out how weird it is. Do you remember how we met Soyou-ah? How much probability of me coincidentally sits on the same bench with you in the hospital’s balcony? How many chances for me to meet a random high school girl, smoke, drink and sing with her while still wearing my hospital’s gown? Then I remember we separated. Without any contact. Hell, I don’t even know your last name. But how much possibility that we will meet again on the train to Busan? Then we separated…again. How much possibility that we will bump each other on the street… and we play guitar and sing together…” He laughs slowly. She just looks down without saying any words.

“Don’t you think that it’s weird? Hell, then I found it weirder because I got closer to you without I even realize it. And…I got attracted to you more even when I deny it over and over again.” He slowly place his hands on her shoulder and grip it tightly, while boldly stares at her eyes.

“And it drives me crazy when you avoid me. It’s frustrating me…the fact that I might lose you. The fact that I might won’t see you again. It really drives me crazy. You…drive me crazy, Soyou-ah.” He said in determination. Myungsoo notice a slight blush on Soyou’s cheeks.

“And…and…what’s that mean, ahjussi?” She stutteringly asked.

“That’s mean…we’re both stupid. But once again, you did better than me. Because you realize it sooner than me. That’s mean that I also fall as deep as you, because even though you’re the weirdest human being I ever know, lately I found you cute, and adorable…and pretty. And I don’t want to lose my sight of you.” He smiles brighter than the afternoon sun at 3 PM. Until eventually they laugh, feeling lighter, and warm…well, and a little bit embarrassed.

“Really?”

“Yeah…I found it weird how you become that important to me. Like a wonderwall. So important. So…don’t ever do that again. Don’t you dare to avoid me anymore. Okay?” He said before pull her in a hug. Soyou startled a little bit, before finally getting at ease and hug him back shyly.

“Okay…So what are we now?” She asked.

“I don’t know. I don’t care.”

“What? Then what I am to you?” She chuckles.

“You? You are mine. From now on.”

“But…”

“No but…just say ‘okay’. Don’t say anything.” He said playfully.

“Yeah. Okay.” She nodded.

And they stay like that for about 5 minutes, letting people staring at them weirdly. Lucky enough they are cool people who don’t give a damn to others.

“Anyway, that was…so cheesy…” She said playfully.

“I know. Don’t remind me then…I’m so shy now.” He said. They both laugh again.

 

PS: Excuse me for the cheesiness...again. It's been stored long enough in my laptop but i just recently moving to new house, so my internet connection still need a lot to be set. Here it is...hope you like it! :D