You Don't Know

Monochrome

Myungsoo just stares at the tea cup on his hands. He feels cold, even though clearly the tea cup feels warm. Mrs. Han walks to the living room where Myungsoo sits right now. That woman looks glad to find out that Myungsoo actually come. She smiles widely as she greets him.

“Myungsoo-goon, I’m grateful that you came.”

“It’s not like I want to come. I just think that you will keep bothering me if I don’t come.”

“I see. It must be a tiring journey for you.” She smiles while sitting in front of Myungsoo.

“Yeah, it’s tiring. That’s why…can we go on already? I don’t plan to spend a lot of time here.” Myungsoo said coldly.

“Arasso. Please come with me.”

The next thing that Myungsoo knows, Mrs. Han led him through some corridor in her house. He can’t help but admiring how big this house is. He did some research earlier, and then he knows that Han family owns one of the largest property businesses in Busan. They walk to a park inside the house. It’s actually a small park with a terrace painted in white. From a far Myungsoo see the back of a man sitting in a wheel chair in the terrace. That’s the moment when he feels his chest tighten. He wants to run. He wants to tell Mrs. Han that he can’t do this. But something inside his heart said that he’s too curious to know what that man looks like.

“He’s there.” Mrs. Han smiles to Myungsoo while pointing at the man in the terrace.

“I know.” Myungsoo mutters.

“Please…talk to him. Just a couple minutes are enough.” She said with smile. Myungsoo just gives her an empty stare before she leaves. Myungsoo tries to calm himself before gathering all his courage to walk towards the terrace.

“Myungsoo?” That man turns his wheelchair around as he hears Myungsoo’s footsteps.

“It’s me.” Myungsoo said coldly. He stares at the man in front of him. That man doesn’t look that old. It’s hard to believe that he’s more than 60 and actually dying. That face, that smile. That person.

Omma, so this is the man that you loved?

“Ah…so finally I can meet you.” He smiles widely, just like meeting a celebrity. Myungsoo doesn’t know how to react so he just gives a cold stares.

“You’re so handsome. And you have your mother’s eyes. Yeah, that pretty eyes.” He looks at Myungsoo in awe. Myungsoo feels uncomfortable. A weird feeling in his chest telling him to go…but the other told him that he need to stay.

“Your wife said you want to meet me. Now that we meet, tell me what exactly that you want.”

“It must be surprising for you. When suddenly someone said that I’m your father. I bet you’ve hated me all your life.”

“Aniyo. I don’t hate dead people. And you are dead to me.” He said coldly. That man just smiles.

“I don’t mind if you hate me. I deserve it after all that I did.”

“Can we cut it out already? For your information, sir… I’m hateful person. You’re not the only person that I hate. So don’t worry about that. You are not that special.”

“You really like Yewon. Not just your deep eyes, but also your cold tone and sassy remarks.” He said. Myungsoo hates himself for always shaking every time people said his mother’s name.

“Can I ask just 10 minutes? Let me see your face and let me talk to you… You don’t need to say anything if you don’t want to. Just…stay here for ten minutes. Please…” He pleads. Myungsoo sighed.

“Okay. Ten minutes.”

Myungsoo takes his phone and set a timer. That man laughs on his action. Maybe he finds it cute, or maybe he finds Myungsoo just a spoiled brat. He doesn’t care. Ten minutes, no more.

“You are so precise. Just like her.” He smiles.

“Time is ticking, sir…”

“I wanna tell you a story about a girl that I once knew. I met her almost twenty five years ago, in a city that feels strange for me. I was expanding my business to capital city and thinking about buying stock from renowned property company in Seoul. People were calling me the new borjuis, since I came from Busan, but they also called me the smart investor. I really did feel smart at that time, because every investment that I did never goes wrong. Until one day I did an interview with that girl. A journalist and editor from the largest business newspaper in the country, also happen to be a brilliant business analyst. It’s surprising me because she looks like a girl that just graduated from college. Young, beautiful, smart, talented and more importantly…she has a sassy remarks. She told me that my investment may be great, but it’s risky and won’t last long. She said, property business won’t be flourished for forever. That’s the thing that makes me took a notice of her. She told me I was wrong, when every body else tell me I’m right. But the most surprising thing is…I believe her. She’s so…believable and charming. I cut down some of my investment. Turns out in early 90’s, internet bubble burst in U.S and stock market went crazy. I was lucky to be out in time and my assets are saved. That’s when I realized that Kim Yewon is not an ordinary woman. She’s…talented. Your mother is a very smart and beautiful woman, Myungsoo.”

“I knew that already. 7 minutes.” Myungsoo said while looking at the timer. That man smiles before continuing his story.

“Firstly, I feel like I’m indebt on her. I feel like I owe her. So I show her my gratitude. Later, I find myself spending a lot of time with her. I know I was married, but my wife and I were in the storm that time. And Yewon is like a magnetic orbit that keeps me close. It may sound absurd to you…but I was really in love with her. I really did love her.”

He looks at Myungsoo, maybe hoping for some responds, but Myungsoo just keep silent. Even though deep on that young man heart, it feels so weird…and painful. A pause moment between them.

“6 minutes.”

“But then I think about the life I had before, my wife, my family…I even have a child already. I did wrong. Then I look at Yewon. She was young, pretty and perfect…I just ruined her promising life with this crazy relationship. I find out that she deserves more. More than me.” He said carefully, before checking on Myungsoo’s reaction.

“So you left her…” Myungsoo chuckled.

“I did that because what we did is wrong in the first place.”

“You left her without even look back.” Myungsoo muttered then shakes his head.

“I thought it was the best. For me. For my family. Also for Yewon, because with all that she has…she can have a long road of happy life in front of him. But it was wrong…and I just realized that six year later.”  That man starts to tremble. He knows the thing that he’s about to say is a sensitive matter.

“The night she died.” Myungsoo tries to suppress his anger.

“We were met accidentally in the book shop near her work place. I was spending my time on a trip in Seoul. Then I saw her…in the section of kid story book. Buying some story book about…some flying angel…and unicorns. I thought I’d just say ‘hi’ like an old friend, until I know that she bought that book for a 6 years old kid.” His voice stars to hoarse. At that time Myungsoo feels like someone punching  his heart. It hurts. Myungsoo want it to stop. He wants to go away and just stop listening.

“It was an awkward meeting. And I realized that Yewon did change. She lost a lot of thing. I did wrong decision when I left her. I was freaked out and I don’t know what to do. We just exchanging about 5 sentences before suddenly she left…also with a freaked out face. I didn’t know that encounter gives that kind of impact on her.” Tears starts flowing from that man’s face. Myungsoo fist his hands. Feeling the anger bubbling again.

“She killed herself that night. The story book that you saw was in her bag. It was for me.” Myungsoo said while water starts threatening his deep eyes.

“I know that Myungsoo. I did many wrong things. Don’t you know how freaked out I am when I saw the news? I feel like I’m actually the one that killed her. If only I knew that… If only I know that she was so fragile. But the thing is…I didn’t know! I didn’t know it will turns out like this…And I’m so sorry. I’m so sorry Myungsoo.” That man starts to cry.

“Then why don’t you look for me after that time?”

“Because I don’t know how to deal with those things.” Mr. Han answered. Myungsoo really wants to laugh on his excuse, but he just scoffed instead.

“I’m sorry Myungsoo. If only I know…” He said. Myungsoo can’t take it anymore. It’s getting too hard for him to handle. He loses his patience and stand up, before finally scream in front of that old man.

“That’s the thing Sir!” Myungsoo shouts, making the crying man in front of him looks up on him.

“You keep repeating, ‘if only I know’, but that’s the thing! You don’t know anything. You have no idea. I bet you don’t know I was waiting for my mom to come back to me every night in front of my aunt house. I bet you don’t know people calling me crazy kid, because I insisted that my mom can fly and she’s not dead. I bet you don’t know I broke my arm in the 2nd grade because I fight with the kids that told me I’m crazy. I bet you don’t know I got my first love letter when I was just 5th grade kid.” Myungsoo chukled, while tears start flowing from his both eyes. That old man got shocked, he doesn’t know how to react. Myungsoo just looks so fragile…and broken.

“I bet you don’t know I was in a high school band or that I played guitar. I bet you don’t know that I meet a beautiful girl that later become my girlfriend on a festival. I bet you don’t know I got 2nd place in regional song writing contest. I bet you don’t know that I was one of the best students in photography major on my college.” Myungsoo scoffed while wiping tears on his cheeks roughly. His breathe got uneven and Myungsoo feels suffocated, but he can’t stop. He needs to keep going.

“I bet you don’t know my girlfriend was cheating on me. Just like you did. I bet you don’t know that she died in a horrible accident and I had a hard time to get over it. I bet you don’t know I was about to kill my self after that. I bet you don’t know I was hospitalized for weeks because of that. I bet you don’t know that I’m color blind, that I lost my dream of being a photographer. I bet you don’t know that I was angry, lost and desperate. I was in rage because I lost every thing in my life. I bet you don’t know that I end up hurting people and act like a bad guy. I bet you don’t know all of that…right?”

Myungsoo laughs in is tears. The old man in front of him just stares in shocked. Myungsoo keep laughing as he feels the pain on his chest become unbearable.

“I bet you don’t know anything about me. Do you know why? Because you did nothing to get to know. You did nothing to find out. You just…run away…and saying ‘if only I know’… Well, you won’t. You will never know, sir… Never.”

Myungsoo said while taking his phone on the table and getting ready to leave. It is too hard for him. too painful. Myungsoo doesn’t know why it feels hurt, but at that time he just wanna go. He want to leave that place. He wants to find someone that can comfort him. Anyone. His aunt, his uncle, Hyorin, Sungyeol, Bora, Soyou…Hoya. Hoya.

He needs Hoya.

“Myungsoo…” The old man tries to follow him on his wheelchair.

“Time is up. Ten minutes, no more…” Myungsoo tries to walk away. At that time he sees two figures walking from the corridor to the park. One of them is Mrs. Han. But the other one is….

No, it can’t be…”

“Wait, Myungsoo…please…” The old man still tries to stop Myungsoo. He almost success grabbing Myungsoo’s jacket sleeves, when suddenly another hand pull Myungsoo’s body and hold Myungsoo’s shaking shoulder. Myungsoo got surprised at first, but he can’t lie…he does need someone to hold him.

“Sir, I’m sorry to say that to you, all due respect but this kid is done talking to you. I’ll take him with me now.” The figure that grabbed Myungsoo smiles towards Mr.Han. Myungsoo do nothing but keep silent. He feels a warm hand gripping firmly on his shoulder, supporting his body that was about to broke down.

“Who are you?” Mr. Han looks at that figure in dazed.

“Let me introduce my self. My name is Lee Howon. People call me Hoya. I’m Myungsoo’s brother.”

 

PS: Hi..here's another update. I'm sorry if this kind of conflict is boring and over-dramatic...I just don't want to leave the details. I want everything to have explaination. Anyway, thank you for all the love and comments...Hope I can write the next chapter better. :)