Black and White

Monochrome

Hoya smiles as he drives to his home. He’s on his way to take Myungsoo camera. The younger wants his 'favorite toy.' Yeah, Myungsoo’s getting better now. He’s eating properly. Even he’s talking to Hoya again. Bora helps him a lot. Hoya feels grateful because he has a very capable girl friend. If not because of Bora who can make Myungsoo open up when Hoya’s down with cold, maybe Myungsoo still refuse to eat until now.

Hoya finally arrives in his home. He’s been living here with Myungsoo since his parents move to Daegu 3 years ago. Hoya’s dad is a judge district and he’s been appointed there. Sometimes Hoya’s parent still visiting just check on how Hoya taking care of Myungsoo.

Hoya enters the younger man room. As expected from gloomy Myungsoo. It’s monochrome black and white. Sometimes Hoya can’t understand why Myungsoo really like black color. Myungsoo has a lot of black clothes, black hats even black bags. Well, fortunately, Myungsoo is always good looking in any color.

There are a lot of photographs plastered in Myungsoo’s wall. Everyone can tell that Myungsoo has talent in photography. Hoya smiles while looking around at those photos. Finally he takes the camera bag beside the table. The camera and lenses are inside it. Hoya walks to the door with the camera bag hanging on his shoulder.

 

“Seriously? You’re lying.” Myungsoo looks at Bora with a surprised expression.

“I’m not. I really wanna kill that photographer. I don’t understand why he takes CNBLUE’s photo with that concept. It’s so old fashioned. I feel bad for Lee Jonghyun, he should’ve been looks more shinny, but the photographer makes her looks gloomy instead.”

“Wow, I’m pretty sure Hoya hyung is really jealous with that Jonghyun guy.”

“What can I say? I know Lee Jonghyun longer than I know Lee Howon. I’ve been his fan since their indie day.” Bora giggles.

“Such fan girl. Anyway…How did you and Hoya hyung met?”

“Ummm…you won’t believe it. We met in the subway.”

“Subway?”

“Yeah…I was ruined the building design that he draw by staying up two nights... with a glass of Iced Americano.” Bora smiles at that 'scary' memory

“Really?”

“Yeah, I thought he was going to kill me that time.”

Myungsoo can’t imagine that. Hoya is a gentle person but when it comes to the work he can be so crazy. And when Hoya mad, he can be so scary. Actually till now, Bora can’t believe it too. That accidental and huge-mess meeting bonds them together instead. Now it’s been 4 years since that historical meeting. And Bora can’t help but falling in love deeper to him.

“Hey, the weather is nice outside. You want me to open the curtain?” Bora walks to the window. Her hands are in the white thick curtain that blocks the sunshine to enter the room.

“Okay.” Myungsoo nodded. Bora opens the curtain and saw the view of Hospital Park.

“Wah…it’s a sunny day…It will be nice if you can go outside. Right, Myungsoo?” She turns around but shocked to find Myungsoo groaning in pain while blocking the light with his palms on his eyes.

“Myungsoo? Are you okay?” She runs towards him in worry. Myungsoo still closes his eyes. The lights is blinding and hurting his eyes.

“My eyes hurt.”

 

Hoya’s hands trembling while seeing doctor’s examining Myungsoo’s eyes. Looks like they run some test on him. Myungsoo just got better but now seems there’s a problem coming. Bora gripping on his boyfriend’s trembling hands. Hoya smiles weakly. Suddenly he realizes that Myungsoo’s camera bag still hanging on his left shoulder.

“Let him rest a while.” The doctor said while the nurse helps Myungsoo to lie down in bed.

“Howon-ssi, we need to talk.” Doctor Kang said while giving Hoya unreadable expression. Hoya nodded. He takes off the camera bag on his shoulder and gives it to Bora.

“Look after him.” He said to his lover. Bora nodded.

A minute later Hoya sits in Doctor Kang’s room while the older man explaining something that hard for him to hear.

“My colleague from Optometry Specialist runs some test in Myungsoo-goon eyes. The result is indeed shocking.”

“What happen to him?”

“Myungsoo goon is diagnosed with Monochromacy.”

“And what is that?” Hoya asked in worry.

“It’s a disease where he is unable to see any color and can see only shades of grey. Black and wite. It’s caused by either a defect of the retinal cones. It’s also causing his eyes become sensitive with light.”

“So you’re saying that he can’t…distinguish colors?!”

“Yes. The symptom is actually already happen since quite long time. You may realize how Myungsoo-goon always picked monochrome colors. Black or white.”

The doctor’s right. Hoya remembers how Myungsoo always like black colors. Maybe it’s not because he likes it. Maybe it because ‘black’ is the color that easy for him to distinguish.

“But he’s a photographer.” For a photographer lights and colors is their media to capture the moments. How can this happening to Myungsoo?

 

Hoya can’t bring himself to tell Myungsoo the bad news. But he thought it’s better if he’s the one who tell him, not the doctor. He walks to the room with heavy steps. From the window he can see Myungsoo lying in the bed while Bora sits beside it.

 

“Hyung? What is it? What's happening to me? ” Myungsoo call his name as he enters the room. From his eyes, Hoya can see the younger man demanding answer about his condition.

“Myungsoo-ya…it’s called Monochromacy.”

Hoya tries to explain the disease like he was told by doctor Kang. But Myungsoo expression turns flat, like he’s lifeless. The younger man got paler while tears start flowing from his already-puffy eyes.

“Are you saying that…I’m color blind?”