When It Rains

Monochrome

Myungsoo walks slowly through the hospital corridor while dragging the portable drip beside him. It is a cloudy morning. Looks like the rain is going to come soon. Myungsoo just sighs, his eyes is wandering through the environment around him. He was bored. That’s why he decided to walk a little, leaving his suffocating room. The doctor was forbid him, but after thinking how the young man is a patient with high stress level, he allowed it later. But the scenery in hospital is never fun. Just dozens nurses, doctors and interns with white uniform, patients with gray hospital clothes and some guardians with worry faces. It’s boring.

As his legs getting wobbly Myungsoo sits himself in the bench near the balcony. It is more refreshing because air from outside can get through. Myungsoo sighs again, his mind questioning how long he has to stay in the place? And after he gets out from here, what he supposed to do?

“Ahjussi, this is my place.” A voice disturbed Myungsoo’s thought.

He looks to the side where the voice come from and finds a young girl sitting in the bench where he sits in. In fact, they’re sitting quite close. Myungsoo didn’t realize there’s someone who sits there before. He later eyeing that girl from head to toe, she looks young, maybe about 17 or 18. Short and black hair, , sport shoes and gloomy face. She’s wearing uniform. Not the white uniform like the nurses and doctors wear. It’s a uniform with a certain pattern in her skirt. The familiar uniform. High school uniform.

“Wh…what?” Myungsoo looks at here in daze.

“I’m talking to you ahjussi. Why do you sit here? It is my place.” She asked with an unbelievably calm but annoying tone.

“Ahjussi? You called me ahjussi?” Myungsoo half-screamed. It's the first time in his life a person called him like that. Everyone else used to say that he look much younger than his actual age.

“Why? You’re an ahjussi.” She said coldly.

“I’m 23. I’m not an ahjussi yet. Beside this is hospital area. I’m a patient. I’m allowed to sit here.” Myungsoo really want to scold this highschool girl.

“I was sit here first.”

“I didn’t see you. Okay. I’m gonna sit there.” Myungsoo stands up and drag himself from there and sits in the other bench placed about 2 meters from the girl's bench.

“You didn’t see me? Wah…even you can’t see me. Interesting.” She said absurd words that Myungsoo can't understand. Somehow the expression that draw in her face is strange. Myungsoo's wondering what's that mean.

“What do you mean?”

“Forget it. You better go inside, ahjussi. It’s going to rain soon.” The girl stands up and  walks inside, leaving Myungsoo dumbfounded.

“I’m not an ahjus… Eissh, kid nowadays.”

She was right, the sky begins darker. It’s still 10 in the morning, but the rain starts pouring and Myungsoo has no choice but to go back inside his room, sitting in his bed, and watching the rain from the glass window. That’s the moment when a lively voice greets him.

“Isn’t it cold? Waaah, I’m lucky I got here in time, if not I’m gonna soaked outside.” Myungsoo smiles and he doesn’t know why. Maybe because he saw Bora smiled first. She put her bag in the chair near the bed and taking off her coat.

“How’s your day? Hoya asked me to check on you, because he may not be able to come today. He got some important works in office. Did he call you this morning?”

“Mmm…” Myungsoo just muttering. He's not really in exciting mood to talk about Hoya.

“But seriously, that guy has been dodging me lately. I really wanna sue his boss for forcing him work in the weekend and make him canceled our date. Ahh, seriously… But I can do nothing. They’re expanding their bussiness, that’s why they’re got busy. Maybe Hoya will get promotion soon…” She keeps talking while tying her long wavy hair. Myungsoo just observing without she's noticing.

“Mmm…good for him.”

“Are you okay? You look pale.” Finally Bora walks toward him and stand beside him near the glass window.

“I always look pale.”

“But still you need to close the window. It’s cold. It’s not good for you.” She said while closing the sliding glass window. Myungsoo just smiles. Again ,he doesn't know why he smiled. It's just feels good to have Bora here. It feels good to talk with her.

“I like the CD.” 

“CNBLUE? Really?” Bora looks excited.

“Hmm…not bad.”

“I told you. They’re great aren’t they? Yah, you really have a nice taste of music. That’s why we get along well. Hoya can’t understand why I like them. That guy really has no idea about the beauty of rock music.” She's blabbering.

“He only listens to hip-hop.”

“And confusing rap lyric with weird pronunciation. We really are not matched when it comes to music. Anyway, what’s the track that you like the most?”

“Hmmm… Rain of Blessing?” Myungsoo answered.

“Owhh…nice. I like that too. Funny, because I used to really really hate the rain.” She chuckles.

“Why?” Myungsoo can't hide his curiosity.

“Because my high schools crush dump me and leave me in the middle of the rain. He’s such a jerk. I don’t even remember why I like him back then. Such a bad taste on guy that I have. Actually I should feel lucky he rejected me.” She laughs. A very silly laugh. It's addictive. A laugh that forced Myungsoo to laugh a little.

“But I changed after I met Hoya. I don’t know why but...that guy sometimes can be so sentimental. He loves rainy day. Maybe he thought his life like a teen lit romance story.” She scoffed. Myungsoo doesn't respond, just listen to her story. He can't dislike the way she tells the story.

“I don’t get it why he loves the rain. But one day he told me that, he had a lot of fun memories of childhood when it rains. He said he used to play out in the rain a lot. And it was fun.” A pang hit Myungsoo's chest slightly as his mind slipping down to memory lane.

“Were you guys played together? Geez…I can imagine your naughty figures screaming and soaking at the rain with muddy clothes and childish smile. It must been fun.”

Myungsoo just stares blankly to the window. Emotionlessly.

 

[flashback]

"Hyung let's play outside. I wanna play outside!"

"Andwae, it's raining hard. You will catch a cold later."

"Ahhh, but I want to play in the mud."

"Soo-ya..."

"Please, just this once, Hoya-hyung..."

"Don't you scared of thunder and lightning?"

"Mmmm...that's why I want hyung to go with me. I won't be scared if I play with hyung..."

"Aishh...this kid...arasso, let's play..."

"Yeay!!"

[flashback end]

 

Myungsoo stares at the figure who talks to doctor outside. Sometimes it's amazing to see how time can change a person. A kid turns into a matured man. But as long as Myungsoo can remember, Hoya is always mature. Even since they're kid, Hoya always be the dependable one. A figure to look up to. And it doesn't change until now.

"The doctor said the iron level in your blood is quite low. That's why you feel dizzy. Do you still feel lightheaded now?"

"No. I'm fine."

The older man smiles, Myungsoo can see his relief face. Earlier this afternoon, the younger almost fainted in the corridor. Turns out his bleeding wrist incident yesterday caused him blood loss. An hour later Hoya came, sweating and worry face, still in his work suit. He still has no idea about Myungsoo atempt yesterday. Seems like Bora keeps the secret well.

"Okay. Don't stress yourself. Eat more. You'll be fine." Hoya smiles.

"I know. You can leave." Myungsoo said weakly. Trying to sound as cold as he can. He can see the slight disappointmen in the older face. Myungsoo feels bad...a little, but his pride is too high to admit it.

"Soo-ya..." Hoya doesn't leave. Instead he's sitting beside the younger bed, watching Myungsoo back facing him.

"What?"

"Do you hate me?" An absurd question. Myungsoo wanna laugh, but he realize that it's rather painful than funny.

"Why do you ask?"

"Because I'm scared, Soo. I'm scared that you might hate me. I don't want you to hate me. So if there's something about me that you dislike, please...just tell me... I'll try to change that."

"I don't hate you." I can never hate you. Simple answer.

"Really?"

"Mmm..." 

I don't hate you, hyung. I just...wanna be like you.

 

[Thank you for comments, views and subsribes. I'm so glad you guys take your time to read this. I'm sorry if I make Myungsoo quite 'annoying' here. Also, sorry if you find it boring. Hope I can write th next chapter better. :D]