Understanding

Monochrome

From outside the window Hoya saw nice scenery. Myungsoo is on his bed...laughing. Just like the laugh that he used to have. The laugh before his mom gone, before Hyorin and before crushed dream, before Myungsoo become cold. Hoya missed that. Myungsoo’s laugh and the way his eyes sparkling like an innocence kid. Yeah, he thought it was nice scenery, until he knows the reason of that laugh. The lovely girl with long-wavy hair sits beside Myungsoo’s bed. Hoya’s girl. Telling some funny jokes that make the younger man laughs harder. Hoya notices how their eyes are twinkling. He can’t help but wondering is any of them ever laugh like that when they’re with Hoya? Hoya feels a strange beat on his heart.

What kind of feeling is this? Forget it, Hoya…

Hoya takes a deep breath before takes the steps to enter the room with his usual smile.

“What are you guys laugh about?” He said while entering the room, making the two turn to look at him.

“Oh you’re here. I told Myungsoo about the time when I ran from home and go to Japan to watch Summer Sonic.” Bora still has that smile platered in her face. Hoya smiles too.

“When you’re almost arrested, because the thought you’re terrorist?” Hoya aksed while placing his bag on the empty chair near the window.

“Yeah…I was so into punk rock back then. Even I dressed myself like David Bowie.”

“Well, you were crazy…” Hoya chuckles. Bora just pouted and jokingly hit his boyfriend's shoulder.

“That must be fun. It’s not like every people can watch Summer Sonic live.” Myungsoo finally said something. Suddenly Bora got excited after hearing that.

“That’s it! Hoya never understands it when I told him about rock passion. Told you, we have a lot in common.” She smiles at the younger man.

Hoya just chuckles. Right, sometimes it’s hard to match with Bora’s passion. She’s lively, energetic and filled with crazy idea. Sometimes it hard for Hoya and his realistic and logical mind to understand that. But it worked somehow. Hoya just doesn’t know till how long. Just now Hoya realizes, it’s a little bit hurt…to see there’s someone else who can understands the person that you love better than you.

What I’m thinking about? Get a hold of yourself, Lee Howon. Don’t think like a child.

 

It is almost midnight when Myungsoo walks out from his room again. Slowly walking through corridor because his boredom is over the limit. Myungsoo didn’t know that hospital at night can be this scary. But at least adrenaline is better than dying bored in that sickening white room. Like usual the smells of meds is creeping since the moment he step into the corridor, but later he’s surprised to find another smell. This smell is surely not supposed to be exist in hospital ward. The source of the smell is in the balcony. Myungsoo saw that highschool girl he met few days ago. Sitting in the bench, holding a burning cigarette in her left hand, it like it’s the most delicious thing in the world.

Seriously, what’s wrong with high schooler nowadays? Even the girls smoke? he thought.

“What are you doing?” Myungsoo said while approaching that girl. Surprisingly she's nor surprised of Myungsoo's sudden appearance. She blows the smoke from to the air instead.

“Smoking. You don’t see?”

“You shouldn’t be here. The visiting hour is over.” Myungsoo said flatly while sitting in the other bench.

“You shouldn’t be here too, ahjussi. Patient should rest in their room this time.” She said calmly. Somehow her calmness is annoying, because it sounds like what mature people usually said. And somehow it reminds him of Hoya.

“What’s wrong with you?” 

“Nothing. Ahjussi is the one who’s wrong.”

“Mwo? I’m not an ahjussi.” He raised his voice. The girl give no respond.

“Let’s make it easy. Let me stay here and enjoy my cigarette and I won’t wake up the nurse to make them bring you back to your room. Deal?”

“Whatever…” Myungsoo looks away from her, pretending that he's alone in that balcony. It becomes silent for almost 10 minutes.

“You don’t look sick? Why do you hospitalized?” The girl talk after she almost finish with her cigarette.

“Not your business. Beside, who are you to tell me that I’m not sick?” Myungsoo hates her question.

“I mean you’re not sick physically. Not the outside. Who knows about the inside?”

“What would you know? You’re just a high school kid.” He scoffed.

“I am. But I’m old enough to know that you’re sad.”

Sad? Do I look sad? Well, it's no use to have another debate with this girl about it. 

 

“Were you visiting someone?” Myungsoo asked while looking at that girl who looks like about to smoke her second cigarette.

“No. I was stalking someone.”

“Stalking?”

“The bastard that happens to be my crush since junior high school.” She said with smile while playing the cigarette in her fingers. Myungsoo doesn't know how to react, because it's kinda weird. Maybe it's a joke, he thought. That's why he didn't say anything.

“Good. You maybe think I’m such a creep right now.” The girl chuckles.

“I’m not saying anything.”

“I’m indeed a creep. No…I’m a fool. Fool for falling for that jerk.” She scoffed. Somehow her expression looks strange.  “Want some?” She said while giving the cigarette in her finger to Myungsoo.

“It’s been a long time since I smoke.”

“You’re sick already. Smoking one cigarette will only cut 15 minutes of your life. It’s nothing.” She said like dying was no big deal.

Myungsoo receive the cigarette and the lighter. He’s hesitated about to smoke it or not. A while later he notices there’s a guitar case beside the girl. Why would she bring guitar case to the hospital?

“So what happen to that jerk that you like?” Myungsoo finally begins to lit his cigarette, letting white smokes scatted around the night wind.

“He broke his legs in an accident. He’s gonna stay here for some weeks.”

“So you’ve been visiting him since then?”

“I’m not visiting, I’m stalking.” The girl stated it again. Myungsoo turns to look at her. It doesn't seems like a lie.

“You’re not kidding.”

“I’m not kidding. That jerk doesn’t even know me.”

“You like her since junior high and he doesn’t even know you?” Myungsoo scoffed.

“Why would he know me? I’m not that memorable. Just barely exist.” She laughs coldly. An odd laugh. It's different from Bora's addictive laugh that make other people laugh too. This high school girl's laugh is make people who see it feel pain instead.

“Interesting.” The only word that managed to came out from Myungsoo mouth.

“Ahjussi don’t you know? Sometimes it’s hard for a person to realize that there’s someone that likes them. Even…sometimes it’s hard for us to realize that actually we like someone.” 

Myungsoo tries more than a whole minutes to understand those words. But he failed. Somehow it's embarrassing because he can't understand the words from a random highschooler. She's too deep to understand.

“I’m going then. Balcony’s yours.” Suddenly the girl stands up, glances at Myungsoo a while, before grabbing her guitar case and walks inside.

“Wait, your lighter…” 

“Give that to me later. I have a feeling that we will meet again later while I’m doing my stalking project.” She said while giving an evilish smile.

 

At the same time, Hoya and Bora is on their way home. Bora holding into his iced coffee cup tightly while her boyfriend just shook his head not understanding how can she drink cold icy coffee in this kind of cold water. They're driving through the almost empty road at night while listening to some crappy random old song in the radio.

“I like it.”

“It’s not good for health.” Hoya doesn’t drink coffee. He doesn't understand how some people could addicted to coffee. Even the current mainstream lifestyle said that drinking coffee is cool. Because coffee is bitter. And it takes a courage to taste bitter things. It's non sense in Hoya's logic.

“It’s not like I’m drinking it everyday.”

“Still. You can be addicted later. Caffeine is not good for heart.”

“Eisssh…stop nagging like a grandpa. You’ll get wrinkles.” Bora laughs. Hoya can help but laughs too and just let it go. He keeps driving without protesting.

“Howon-ah…” Suddenly Bora called. It's rare for her to call him "Howon", only in some special occasion. Usually Bora just call his usual nickname, Hoya.

“Hmm?”

“Are you free this weekend?” She asked. Hoya startled a little. He remembers the last weekend that he spent in the studio, where he supposed to give time for Bora. He feels bad about it.

“Ummm…mmmm… I think so. Why?”

“Really? Yah, there’s a place I want to go.” The shimmering light in her eyes appears.

“Where?”

“Hyundai vs KIA. Let’s watch live!” She almost scream in excitement. Bora always crazy when it comes to baseball. An odd hobby for a girl.

“Eishhh…it will be noisy. Let’s just watch that at home.” Hoya doesn't hates baseball, he just hates crowded people. That's why he refufes to go to concert unless it's classical music, and he always avoid to watch any match in the stadium.

“But it’s Hyundai…beside if we just watch together in home you’re gonna smack my head anyway every time I scream for them.”

“But the stadium is…ahh…arasso, let’s watch it live.” Hoya quickly changes his mind after seeing the slight disappointement in Bora face. Sudenly he though, am I to selfish? It's just a small sacrifice actually. Why can't I understand her?

“Forget it. You’re right. Let’s just watch at home. It’s clearer to watch the home run from the screen.” She said, hiding her disappointment under her usual smile. She knows, she's not supposed to force Hoya to do something that he's not comfortable doing.

“Bora-ya…”

“Gwenchana…let’s just buy a lot of snacks when we watch at home.” She laughs as if nothing's happened.

Hoya sighs, slightly cursing himself.

 

What did you do Lee Howon? You just make her sad. Maybe it's just a small argument but somehow it becomes a prove how different we are.

I'm sorry, Bora-ya...

 

[i'm sorry if maybe this is a little bit slow. :(    ]