It's Okay

Monochrome

Myungsoo giggles while peeling the apples. In front of him, Hoya is lying against the headboard of the bed. Somehow the older man looks livelier than yesterday. Sure, he still can’t move a lot, but at least now Hoya can talk without feeling suffocated. Myungsoo feels at ease. He’s glad that even though being injured, Hoya is tough enough to handle it.

“Her name is Soyou. Coincidentally we met several time, even though we’re actually just complete strangers. I don’t even know her surname or her phone number.” Myungsoo said while carefully using knife to cut the apples.

“But you guys occasionally just meet and talk? Weird.” Hoya replied.

“I know, She’s actually also a weird girl. I find it amusing that I enjoy talking to her about some random stuff… just like old friends.”

“Is she hot?” Hoya teased, making Myungsoo almost drop the knife on the floor.

“What?! Hyung! For the God sake, she’s a high school student. Even she calls me ‘ahjussi’ all the time.”

“Then what? There’s no law that forbid a college student to date high schooler.” Hoya laughs weakly.

“Okay. You’re teasing me again. Enough, hyung…I’m not dating a high school girl. Oh wait…I’m gonna wash this first. Wait here…”

Myungsoo takes the plate filled with apples out to wash it so that Hoya can eat that. After Myungsoo left behind the door, Hoya smiles. He’s glad, now things start to fit on its places for Myungsoo. It’s good thing. Now Hoya just has to wait until he got better. Until he can be the reliable Lee Howon again. To be honest, he doesn’t like the state he’s in right now. It’s almost been a week since he wakes up, but Hoya still can’t move his hands properly. He can’t hold into things firmly. His legs still numb. Doctor said physical therapy is needed. But for how long? Will it success? Who knows? Nothing’s certain about it.

Hoya looks at the drawer beside his bed. For these past days he’s been practicing to write, or at least to make sure that his hand is working properly. He’s struggling to take the book and pencil that’s been left there. After finally be able to get book, Hoya tries to grip into the pencil. His fingers try to move, hoping at least he can write his own name in the paper. But it hurts, his fingers feel so stiff. He just can draw messy lines on the paper.

How can I write my name with these fingers? How can I draw again?

Hoya feels frustrated at that time. He takes a deep breathe, trying so hard to calm him self, to not break down, because he doesn’t want people to see him on this state. Hoya tries to put back the book and the pencil to the drawer. He’s struggling to move on the side of bed. His trembling hands fail to do the task and the pencil ends up fall in to the floor.

“Damn it!” Hoya cursed slightly.

He bow down tries to reach the pencil in the floor right under his bed, but his body is not strong enough to support him and he ends up falling from bed to the cold floor. Hoya groans at the pain he feel on his back. He grabs into the corner of the drawer for support but he accidentally pushes the water bottle that placed on there. The bottle drops and the water spilled all over the floor, near the place where Hoya falls. Hoya can do nothing. He just feels hopeless… and mad.

“! !” Hoya cursed again, as he struggles to get up before end up fail. His breathe gets uneven, and his body starts to ache. He’s panting and trembling. Hoya was about to cry, when Myungsoo enters the room. Eyes widened to see the scenery in front of him.

“Hyung!” Quickly Myungsoo rushed to his side, after placing the apple that he just washed on the table. Myungsoo takes Hoya’s trembling hands, before noticing that the wet floor already gets into Hoya’s clothes. The older man just chuckled, trying to look calm even though deep inside he feels like crap.

"I’m okay. I’m okay, Soo…” He tries to smile and it’s not convincing.

But Myungsoo know, Hoya has his pride. So at the end he just nodded as he lift Hoya’s trembling body and move him to bed carefully.

            “Your clothes are wet. I’ll ask the nurse for the change.”

            “No!” Hoya said in determined. Myungsoo got surprised because his voice sounds so loud and clear as if he’s angry. But at that moment Hoya is actually just look down, not be able to meet Myungsoo’s eyes.

            “Its okay, Soo…” Hoya muttered while still looks down.

            “Alright, hyung. Ummm…I’m gonna clean the floor.”

Myungsoo takes a rag in the corner of the room to dry the water on the floor. That’s when he found Hoya’s pencil and the paper filled with his messy ‘handwriting’.  Myungsoo feels a pang on his heart. Hoya can’t even write his own name, how he supposed to draw again?

            “Leave it Myungsoo.”

The older man voice sounds broken but deep. Myungsoo sighed while taking the wet paper and pencil. Myungsoo feels the pain in his chest, but he smiles anyway, because he wants Hoya to know that it will be okay.

            “It’s okay, hyung…”

That’s the moment when tears start to fall from Hoya’s eyes. Myungsoo can’t remember when the last time he saw Hoya cried. Myungsoo is the one who cry often since kid and Hoya always be the one who comfort him. Now, Myungsoo doesn’t know how to deal with this change.

            “I’m not crying…It’s just…just…the air conditioner hurt my eyes.” Hoya chukled while wiping the water on his cheeks. Myunsgoo stands up and stares at him, hands still holding the paper and pencil.

            “I know.” Myungsoo said.

But the tears keep flowing and Hoya starts to sob. His shoulder is shaking. Breathes get uneven. Hoya places his hands on his mouth. He cried harder as Myungsoo walks towards his bed. Tears makes him feels suffocated.

            “I’m not crying, Soo…” He manages to grin. Again, it's not convincing for Myungsoo. But the younger man just smile anyway.

            “I know, hyung.”

            “I’m not crying.” He repeats the sentence, now more like trying to convince him self. Even though he clearly knows that it’s not working.

            “You’re not crying.”

His messy sobs become uncontrollable and Myungsoo can’t take it anymore. He takes Hoya’s hand and pulls the older man to his embrace; hug him protectively as if the older man is the most fragile thing on earth. Hoya’s crying sound bubbling in his chest. Myungsoo rubs his back as he saw Hoya choked in his own tears, chest moving upside down. Slowly Myungsoo feels his shoulder getting wet by tears. He let it be. This is the least thing that he can do.

            “You’re not crying, hyung. You’re okay.” Myungsoo hugs him tighter, feeling his heart break along with Hoya’s tears. To be honest, Myungsoo wants to cry too, because he doesn’t know how to handle this thing. He doesn’t know how to comfort someone. But he won’t cry, he shouldn’t. He should be strong for Hoya. He should be there, smilin and saying that things will be okay somehow...someday. Like Hoya used to do for him.

            An hour later Myungsoo finds himself sitting beside Hoya’s bed, watching the older man sleeps. Myungsoo caress Hoya’s puffy cheek. He really didn’t expect that the invincible Lee Howon that he used to know is actually just as vulnerable as him. Also as prideful as him. Myungsoo wonders maybe this is what Hoya felt when he was in the hospital. When Myungsoo was on the edge, wants nothing but to end his life, Hoya must be feeling this bad. Maybe even worse, because Myungsoo was keep push him away. It must be hurt. Myungsoo is luckier, because Hoya accept his comfort. Myungsoo promised himself that he will protect the older man from getting hurt, also from hurting him self.

            Myungsoo was fixing Hoya’s blanket, when Bora enters the room. Looks like she’s just back from work. Myungsoo smiles and she smiles back after placing her bag on the chair.

            “He’s asleep?” She asked.

            “Yeah, Doctor just gave him the routine meds.”

            “You go home and rest now. I’ll take care of him.”

            “Okay, I need to meet someone in the campus anyway. Noona, take care of him.” Myungsoo stands up and taking his bag, getting ready to leave.

            “Sure, don’t worry.”

Myungsoo was about to disappear behind the door, when Bora suddenly call his name. He turns around, only find Bora's suspiciously stares at him.

            “Myungsoo…”

            “Yeah?”

            “Is there anything that happens to him today?”

Myungsoo stops a while, thinking about the break down that Hoya had earlier. Sure Bora has right to know about that, but again…Myungsoo knows Hoya too well. He knows how hard Hoya tries to protect his pride, no matter how hurt it is. Myungsoo knows he has to be on Hoya’s side. He has to protect Hoya for now.

            “No. Hyung is fine. We’re just talking all day.” Myungsoo lied with smile.

            “Okay...Drive safely.”

            “Bye, noona…”

Myungsoo leaves the room. He steal a glances to the room for the last time, only to find Bora sits beside Hoya’s bed, holding his hand tight while smiling. Even though it’s not clear, but Myungsoo swears he can hear Bora whispering to Hoya.

            “It’s okay, Hoya…We’re here. You are going to be okay.” She said while placing a kiss on Hoya’s hand. Myungsoo left with smiles.

 

Yes, hyung…it’s okay. You have us. You are going to be okay. 

 

PS: I'd like to say thank you for all the subscribers and comments. This story is somehow become the longest story I ever write, I'm not sure about the ending yet, but I guess it'll come there soon. So thank you again guys! You're awesome!