Encounter

Monochrome

Hoya wakes up to the feel of someone caressing his cheeks. He grins a little, feeling the blinding sunlight from the opened window on his face. Slowly he opens his heavy eyelids, but at that moment he gasped in shock seeing a messy face watching him too closely with too wide smile.

“Oh…scared me! Are you trying to give me heart attack?”

“Why? Am I too beautiful?” Bora smiles while sitting beside his bed, trying to act cute.

“You’re face is too close.”

“Why? You don’t like it?” She pouted, making Hoya chuckles.

“Your aegyo failed. You’re too old to act cute.” Bora smacks his shoulder immediately. Hoya laughs on his lover’s wrath. “You’ve been watching me sleep?” He asked while still laughing.

“Yeah. Your sleeping face is funny. Like a baby. Your nickname is no joke, Hoaegi.”

“Shut up…I hate that name.”

“Why? I like it.”

“Can you stop saying ‘why’ and just bring your self here? I don’t wanna wake up yet.” Hoya pulls her hands asking her to lie in bed next to him.

“It’s late. I have work.”

“Me too. But I want to skip it. Just for today.” Hoya said lazily.

“Woah…since when the preppy Lee Howon turns into the lazy Hobaby?” She scoffed.

“Shut up…please lay here.” He pulls her hands again. At the end she gives up and lays herself next to him, hands still holding each other. Bora smiles while facing Hoya’s still sleepy face. Her fingers start caressing his messy hairs.

“How are you feeling? Is your head okay?”

“It’s okay.” Hoya smiles.

“You were so pale earlier, I was so worried. That’s why I end up watching your sleeping face all night.”

“Don’t worry. I’m fine. Beside, I don’t mind if you watching over me all night. I’m handsome anyway. It’s not surprising.” He said, making Bora giggles. They both laugh and somehow things can’t be better. Bora knows it now, this is what she wants. Maybe its right…Hoya and her is so different. Their personality and habit just like opposites. They don’t have a lot in common. But isn’t it what makes them special? Because they’re different, they never get bored. Maybe if they have too many things in common, their relationship will be dull. Later they’ll get tired of each other. So…sometimes difference is a good thing.

 

“I wish we can stay like this for forever.” Hoya said while pulling her closer, hugging her tight, letting the warmness on her skin transferred to his body. Bora smiles while kissing Hoya’s palm.

“Yeah, me too. But the pancake will get cold. It’s a waste. I just made the strawberry one for you.”

“It’s nice having someone to cook breakfast for me. I’ve been eating alone lately. It’s lonely.” Hoya said as his nose detecting the smell of strawberry syrup. Later he notices that there is some flour left in Bora’s finger. At the moment they just stay silent and smile to each other. Without saying anything, because they’re already know each other too well. There’s nothing to talk about. They’ve said it all already. Before finally Bora is the one who breaks the silence.

“Howonnie…”

“Mmm?”

“What are we going to do? About Myungsoo.” Suddenly Bora thinks about that guy. She feels bad, but she bet Hoya feels worse. It will be easier if they can hate him or just simply give no care to Myungsoo. But they care. They know Myungsoo. They know his suffering. Especially Hoya, he knows how fragile Myungsoo is. The most important…Hoya knows…his brother is not a bad guy.

He’s just unlucky.

“Yeah…what are we going to do?”

Hoya asks back while his minds wondering through all the possible answer.

 

Myungsoo looks outside the train’s window. Watching the scenery of hills and tall trees that look so perfectly fitted in green colors. It’s been a long time since he takes the train for long journey. He used to be busy with his camera every time he went to other city. Yeah…he was always excited capturing pictures and views. Finally Myungsoo takes her new camera. He just bought that thing few weeks ago. To be honest Myungsoo doesn’t know why he bought another camera after he crushed his old one. He just…wants to have something…to do. To hold on. To looking for. And camera used to give it all.

 

Myungsoo tries to take some pictures of the outside scenery. That’s the moment when the train announcer saying that the train will arrive in Busan Station in 15 minutes. After some clicks on shutter button, Myungsoo looks at the results. He sighed…it’s hard to adjust saturation and light exposure with his sensitive eyes. The results are not bad…but it’s not good either. Myungsoo tries to take other pictures when suddenly the lenses capture ‘something’ familiar.

“You gotta be kidding me.” Myungsoo chuckles as he getting up. Approaching someone’s whose sitting 3 rows in front of him. A guitar case that pull his attention. A familiar one. Myungsoo reaches the row and looks at the figure who sits beside the guitar case. A girl in high school uniform, wearing headphones. She looks at Myungsoo, freeze a little, before finally scoffed.

“It’s been a while, ahjussi…” Soyou smiles wickedly as always. Myungsoo just smirks. Before finally laughs.

 About fifteen minutes later two people walk on the crowded Busan Station. Myungsoo eyeing the girl who hold guitar case and walk beside him with an awe expression. He never thought that he will meet this girl again…here…in this strange city. They walk out from the crowded station towards a coffee shop across the street.

“What are you doing in Busan?”

“Me? I’m skipping my school.”

“I can tell. You’re wearing uniform, kid. But why taking 2.5 hours train just to skip classes?”

“I ran away from home.” She said calmly. Myungsoo almost choked on his coffee.

“You’re kidding.”

“Do I look like kidding?” Her deep eyes telling Myungsoo that she’s not lying.

“Seriously? You’re really run away from home?”

“Yep! Don’t worry…I’m not doing any crime, or dealing drugs or try to commit suicide. I just don’t feel like going home. For a moment.”

“Why? Why you don’t like home?”

“Just because…I wanna go to a place when no one knows me. For a while.”

She said with wondering eyes. Suddenly Myungsoo feels like seeing something similar. He knows what it feels like…the feeling like you want to run away and leave every thing for a moment. He felt that. He understands that. He can’t help but wondering, what makes her wants to run away?

“Arasso. I’m not gonna ask about that. But why Busan? Where are you going to go after you arrived here?”

“Haeundae. I want to go to beach.” She smiles. Myungsoo chuckles, not just because her answer sounds so innocent, but also her smiles makes her looks exactly like her age. Like a high school girl. Usually she looks older than her age.

“Woah…seems like romantic. I don’t know that fearless girl like you can be sentimental too.” He teases.

“What about you ahjussi? What’s bring you to Busan?”

“I need to meet some people here.”

“Seems like hell of the meeting. You took 2.5 hours train for them. Impressive.”

“Yeah…It’s hell of the meeting.”

30 minutes later Myungsoo finds himself standing at the bus stop with Soyou, waiting for bus to Haeundae. It’s a very weird coincidence. Funny, how those two strangers meet again in the strange city.

“Ahjussi, you don’t need to wait here with me. Go to your meeting already.”

“Don’t worry. My meeting is at 11, I still have an hour. I don’t know what to do actually.”

“By any means…are you worrying me?”

“Worry?”

“Yeah…I’m a young girl, alone, knows no one, in the strange place.”

“Non sense. Why I have to be worry about you? You look more than capable.” He scoffed.

“It’s strange, isn’t it? We meet again.” She looks at the roadside with wondering eyes.

“Yeah, it’s strange coincidence.”

“Well, life is so tricky. Separate people casually, and then make them meet each other again in unexpected way. Funny.”

It’s not funny. It’s cruel, Myungsoo thought. Yeah…life is sure tricky and cruel. Life doesn’t care how would happen after separation? Or how would happen after the next encounter? What’s changed? Life just simple doesn’t care.

“Bus is coming. I’m going ahjussi…bye…” Soyou’s voice broke the silent. A green bus progressing slowly towards the bus stop. She’s getting ready, taking her guitar case and her blue back pack.

“Soyou-ah…” Myungsoo called her before she’s get on the bus.

“What?” She turns around.

“If the tricky life makes us meet again later…let’s have a longer coffee time.”

“Deal.”

She smiles, before walks in the bus. Leaving along with her mysterious vibe. Myungsoo walks away as the bus leaving. Somehow he got a funny feeling about his unexpected encounter with Soyou. Myungsoo still can’t believe that she’s actually 17 years old high schooler, because her vibe and her thought seem too deep. Too mysterious. Just like she said, life is so tricky. Myungsoo feels that after he got a phone call 3 days ago. A woman asked him to meet. Myungsoo doesn’t like meeting with strangers, but that moment she mentions his mother’s name. And Myungsoo can’t help but to bring himself to meet her the next day.

 

A middle aged woman greets him with smile as he walks entering the restaurant where they met. Myungsoo sits awkwardly in front of her. His minds asking abundant question. Who is she? Why she knows my mom? Why she wants to meet me?

“Myungsoo-goon…finally I get to meet you.” She gives the sign for Myungsoo to sit down.

“Excuse me…but you haven’t tell me who are you?”

“My name is Han Ga Yeon.” She smiles. Myungsoo looks at her clothes, her hair, her attitude, her motherly smile. He looks like a wife from some rich businessman.

“And how can you know my mom?”

“I don’t know your mom. But my husband does.” She said calmly. At that moment Myungsoo feels his heart got hit.

“What?”

“I know it might be surprising for you…but I have no choice but to meet you and tell you. My husband…is your biological father.” She said. Myungsoo keeps silent for a few second. Before finally scoffed. To be honest, Myungsoo feels his heart pumped like crazy. He doesn’t know how to react with that news.

“What are you trying to say?”

“My husband met Kim Yewon-ssi almost 25 years ago. That was a very hard phase of our marriage. I don’t want to tell you the detail; I guess you know it yourself. When finally our relationship getting better, my husband decide to stay with me. I guess you thought it is so cruel how he leaves your mother.”

Myungsoo feels like his blood boiled. He never talks about his biological father; never have any interest to look about him too. Because for him, that man is dead. Talking about his father is like the same with talking about how his mom dies. And it hurts. Beside his uncle, Hoya’s father, take care of him like a father would be. He doesn’t need biological father anymore.

“The truth is, he never knows that you’re existed. He never knows that Yewon-ssi is pregnant with you when he leaves. He just found out 6 years later…when he accidentally met her again…”

“The night my mom died.” Myungsoo suppressed his anger. His expression turns dark. That woman seems notice that. At that moment he stands up, trying to leave this crazy meeting.

“I don’t know what you want or what you expect for me after telling me anything about him. But I’m gonna tell you that, I have no interest to listen any further. I don’t care who’s my biological father are…because as long as I know…he’s never existed. He’s dead. Dead.” Myungsoo said before walks away.

“You’re right…he’s dying. He doesn’t have long Myungsoo-goon. And before he dies, he wants to see you face just once.” She said. Myungsoo stops before turns around.

“I have no interest to meet him.”

“I know…my husband did a lot of wrong things. I personally thought this is his karma. For cheating on me, for leaving your mom, for not taking care of you. But…then again…he’s just a man. A pathetic man that realize all his wrong doings late. Isn’t he pitiful? So I’m begging you…please…meet him just once. A few minutes will do. Then you can say that he’s really dead in your thought.”

 

And here is he…in front of a big house with wide yard near Seomyeon central district. Myungsoo sighed before walking towards the door.  At the moment Myungsoo regrets to come here. He wants to escape, he wants to run. He wants to back to his life in Seoul. But something in his heart saying that he will never be able to run away and live peacefully before he settled it down. Face it…whatever it will be.

Somehow Myungsoo hopes someone will be here with him, calming him down, saying that it will be okay. That he can do this. Maybe his aunt and uncle,

or Hoya….

 

Myungsoo takes a deep breathe before his finger pressed the bell button.

Ding!

 

PS: I'm sorry if maybe this is too dramatic. But I really need some 'trigger' to progress...so..here is it. Thanks you for all the comments and subscribes. You guys are awesome. :)