Love Light

Monochrome

Hoya’s wheelchair rolls to the cafeteria. Once he arrived at that place he looks around. A moment later he saw Myungsoo waving at him and smiling. He was with someone. A girl, Hoya wonders who are that girl might be. Hoya rolls his wheelchair towards them. He feels glad Myungsoo didn’t stand up to help him, but let him come towards them by himself. It makes Hoya feels more capable. It makes him feels less sick.

“Come here, hyung. There’s someone that I want you to meet.” Myungsoo smiles as Hoya approaches them. The older man looks at the girl who sits across Myungsoo. She looks young, chic and somehow calm. Wait…could she be?

“It’s Soyou.” Myungsoo said while pointing at the girl in front of him. Hoya smiles widely, so this is her. The girl smile awkwardly as she bows and greets Hoya.

“Anyeonghasseo. I’m Soyou. I don’t know if ahjussi really like to talk about me.” She said bluntly, making Hoya laugh and Myungsoo shout in protest.

“Ya! Get a hold of yourself, kid. Who says that I talked about you?” The younger man glares at her, but she just rolled her eyes so playfully. She’s witty, Hoya thought.

“Ah…so this is the girl who’s been Myungsoo’s wonderwall?”

“What do you mean by ‘wonderwall’, hyung?” Now Hoya’s turn to receive a glare from Myungsoo.

“Understanding, has a lot in common and fun to be with. It’s called wonderwall, Soo-ya. It’s just; you forgot to add ‘pretty' on your description.” Hoya said.

“I get it why, people like Howon-ahjussi more than you. He has a lot more sense than you Myungsoo-ahjussi.” Soyou chuckles.

“Shut up!” Myungsoo shouts again.

“Anyway, Soyou-ah…You can call me ‘oppa’ instead of ahjussi. Just call me Hoya-oppa. I really don’t mind.”

“Really. Hoya-oppa, then.”

“What?! You never called me like that. I’m younger than him…” Again, Myungsoo whines in protest.

“Aish..Myungsoo-ahjussi…let’s just cut it out. We have no time.” She said calmly. Myungsoo just sighed, maybe feeling ashamed because a high school girl just badly.

“Fine. Whatever. Hyung, it’s about ‘the plan.’ We agreed to execute it tomorrow, right?”

“Yeah. I’m ready… I guess.” Hoya said, trying to sound determined, even though he’s still nervous about that plan.

“It has to be perfect. Soyou will help arranging it. You just have to get ready, and don’t forget about the draft. You’ve been practicing, right?” Myungsoo asked agaon. Hoya nodded.

“Good. Hyung…tomorrow, you’ll be the most romantic guy in the earth.” Myungsoo smirks.

***

Bora keeps talking while peeling the fruits. At the other hand Hoya just leans weakly on the head of his bed while silently listening to her babbling. Weird to admit, but Bora’s babbling sounds may will be his lullaby right now.

“Yoo Jung even already bought plane tickets two months before the event. She’s sure exaggerating. But well, she really likes Imagine Dragons. It’s rare for them to come to Summer Sonic.” Bora said while cutting an apples and place it on the plate.

“Mianhae…it’s because of me. You’re not be able to go.”

“Aniyo. Why do you say that? I’ve went for enough time already.” She said with smile.

“But you really like rock. Summer Sonic is like your favorite exhibition. CNBLUE will be there too.”

“Yeah, but it’s in Japan. It’s not like I can’t watch them in Korea.” She said again while feeding another slice of apples to Hoya. He received it, while studying her face. He knows damn well that his girlfriend is the hardcore fan of rock music. Even two years ago, he remembers the day when Bora left him for a week to England only to watch Glastonbury Festival. His train of thought is cut out when suddenly he choked on apples that he’s chewing. Hoya coughs, making Bora stops peeling and put down the knife.

“Hey…are you okay? Hoya…” She asked in worry. Hoya just shook his head while starts to hold his chest.

“Wa-ter…please.”

“Okay, wait…” In panic she takes the water bottle on the table, only to find it empty. She grunts in annoyance. Hoya keeps coughing.

“Wait…I’ll get the water. Hang on.” She runs out from the room in the speed of lightning to find the nurse. She’s asking for water and demands them to give her quickly. Her worried thought only thinking about Hoya who might be still coughing in his room. A moment later Bora runs back toward Hoya’s room with a bottle of water on her hands. But the view on the room surprises her. It’s empty. Hoya disappeared.

“Hoya? Hoya, where… Howon-ah?” She enters the room in daze. He’s really not there. Only the crumpled bed sheets and blankets. A second later Bora just snapped her thought, weird scenario starts showing her head.

“Hoya!” At the end she screamed as she get out of the room and run to the corridor in panic. She asked a few nurses that she passed by, asking them if they know about Lee Howon, but all of them just shook their head. Bora feels frustrated, also scared…Hoya still not be able to move properly. His body is still weak. She’s worried that he might be passed out somewhere, or worse…maybe someone kidnapped him? More weirder scenario flooding on her head.

“Crap! Where the hell are you, Hoya?” She keeps walking in unsure direction. Suddenly she notices there’s crowd gathering in the park. It’s like there’s event going on there, some patients also gathered in there. Is Hoya there? Bora thought he might be there, she hope so. Her footstep rushing towards the crowd. That’s the moment when he saw a familiar figure. His back. Hoya’s back on the wheelchair. Bora feels like just getting oxygen for her suffocated lungs. She runs towards the figure in the speed of lightning. She turns the wheelchair around, making Hoya face her, before blurting out in wrath.

“Ya! Lee Howon! Are you lost your mind? Suddenly disappear like that. I was looking for you like crazy, you know? You where choked and I looking for this goddamned water in panic, but you were gone when I back. Are you crazy? Don’t you know how worried I was? Aishhh…” She’s babbling in the loud tone. But Hoya who’s facing her just stares blankly, like her babbling is just nothing new for him.

“Sorry…I just…”

“Just what?!” She cut his words, making Hoya flinch a little. Bora sighed deeply, regretting for yelling after she saw his puppy eyes who stares innocently like a 5 years old kid does to his mother. That’s the moment when suddenly they hear someone’s talking in the microphone. The voice of a young man greeting the crowd. This is a familiar voice for Bora. She turns around to find a familiar figure sitting in the middle of the crowd. People gathered around that man. Bora knows that man. She freeze like a block of ice, mouth wide open, body feels numb, after realizing who’s that young man.

“Anyeonghasseo, I’m so glad that I can be here to be with everyone. Actually I was so excited since yesterday, since it will be the first time for me to do this kind of event. But I’m so grateful to be able to meet everyone here. This is such a wonderful opportunity.” That man said while keeps smiling handsomely.

“It’s…” Bora’s speechless. Hoya stares at his lover in dazed, looks confuse on how her expression changed so suddenly.

“Jonghyun? It’s…” Bora stutters. Eyes wide open, staring in awe.

“Bora-ya?” Hoya called carefully while checking on her face.

“Jonghyun. It’s Lee Jonghyun…It’s Lee Jonghyun!” She scream happily and was about to leave dumbfounded Hoya.

“Ya! You said you worry about me, now where are you going?” He shouts.

“Hoya, it’s Jonghyun…He’s here. I know you’re okay, and you’re stupid for disappear from your room and made me in panic. But I forgive you, just don’t do that again. Now I need to see Jonghyun. Just…wait here, okay…”

“Ya, Yoon Bora! Aish…” Hoya grunts in annoyance as Bora left him alone to join the crowd. Bora blended with the crowd that surrounding Jonghyun whose now sits with his guitar, getting ready to play a song for them.

“This is a lovely song from our first album. Well, actually Yonghwa-hyung wrote this. I bet you all know this song.” He said while begin to play the intro part. Bora feels like melting on the melody. She knows this song so well. She can stop smiling as Jonghyun starts to sing.

 

geuh del bo myun ul gool ee bbal geh jigo

(When i look at you my face gets red)

geuh del bo myun ga seum ee doogeun doogeun

(When i see you my heart goes thump thump)

ah ee chuh lum soo joob geh mal hago

(I talk with shyness like a kid)

geuh del bo myun gwen siri oo seum ee na

(When i look at you i just smile out of nowhere)

babo chuh rum ja ggoo man geuh leh

(Like a fool I keep doing that)

ama neh geh sarang ee on gut gatah

(I think love came to me)

 

It’s Love light. Bora loves this song, but this is usually not the song that Jonghyun can sing alone, because there’s a rap part that Yonghwa usually do. Bora wonders, can Jonghyun raps? Or is Yonghwa here to sing the rap parts? She looks around and find that Jonghyun is alone. Then, who will sing the rap parts?

That’s the moment when she hears another familiar voice in the microphone who sings the rap parts. Jonghyun smiles as people begin to turn around to the guy who raps behind them, including Bora. She gasped in shock.   wide open, like it is the biggest surprised she got all her life.

Hoya still on his wheelchair, holding microphone…doing the rap part as his gaze reach upon Bora…who’s standing dumfounded in the state of shock. Hoya keeps singing as he stares lovingly at her.

 

geuh deh neun neh ma eum sok eh president

(You’re the president of my heart)

neh ga seum eh byul soo noh ji

(You’re my chests’ star embroider)

i’m genie for you girl

(I’m Genie for you girl)

neh soom eul mut geh haji

(You make me stop breathing)

geuh deh ga won ha neun gun da

(Whatever you want)

nuh reul sarang ha ni gga

(Because I love you)

neh sarang eh ee yoo neun ub jan ah you know

(There’s no reason for my love you know)

Hoya smiles while finishing his part and the crowd applauding him. Bora still can’t get her mind straight, but so slowly her footstep making its way towards Hoya, who’s still continue singing in harmony with Jonghyun.

 

geuh deh neun darling (You’re a darling)

bam ha neuk byul bit boda ah reum da wuh yo

(You’re more beautiful than the stars above in the night sky)

neh mam sok gip peun got eh suh ban jjak guh li neun

(The shining thing deep inside my heart)

naman eh sarang beet (My very own love light)

geuh del reul sarang heyo darling (I love you darling)

uhn jena neh gyut hae suh beet cheul neh joyo (Give me light next to me whenever)

meh il bam bara bogo (Every night i look at you)

bara bwado ah reum dawuh yo (And you’re beautiful even when I look at you)

geuh den nah eh sarang beet (You’re my love light)

 

The song finished as Bora reached Hoya and stand in front of him. The crowd applauding both Jonghyun and Hoya. Between the sounds of clapping hands both lovers just stand in silent. Jonghyun plays another song, ‘My Love’ from the OST of his drama, making crowd turns around and the attention back to him again, leaving Bora and Hoya left behind them still facing each other without saying any words. Until finally they broke out in laughter.

“I know it’s cheesy.” He said between the laughs.

“Indeed.” She laughs too.

“But hell, in life we need to do something cheesy at least once, right?”

“You’re right.”

Hoya smiles as he takes a small box that he hid earlier behind his wheelchair. It’s a small box containing a tiny cupcake that has a single candy on it. Hoya takes a lighter from his pocket and lit up the candle, holding it with smile like a little kid.

“Happy birthday, Bora-ya…I’m sorry it is three weeks, 5 days and 15 hours late. But I want to fulfill my broken promise. I’m not gonna let you blow the candle alone.”

 Bora laughs out loud hearing that. She feels so warm, and even though it’s silly and greasy, she can’t help but feeling so happy. Like she can’t be happier than this. She steps forward and closed her eyes as she blows the candle, before finally bursting in laugh along with Hoya.

“So this is you birthday present for me? My favorite star, a love song, cute cupcake and cheesy surprise?” She asked while intertwining her hands with his.

“Nope. My present for you is this lighter.”

“Lighter?” Bora looks confused as she received the lighter that Hoya handed. It looks like an ordinary lighter, but her eyes widened when she find something weird plastered behind it. It’s crumpled paper. Bora takes the paper only realize that the paper is wrapping something. She unwrap it and again stare in daze when she find a ring in there. A white ring with infinity symbol on it. Bora smiles and looks straight to Hoya’s eyes. Then she hold the crumpled paper tightly before realizing that there’s something written in there. Hoya’s handwriting.

 

You are mine. For infinity. Like it or not. :p

 

She laughs while pulling Hoya’s on a tight hug. Hoya laughs too, before realizing that there are tears between her laughs.

“What is it? You’re crying? Aisshh…don’t cry. You’re overreacting. It’s just a ring. It’s not like I’m asking you to marry me soon.”

“Pabo! I’m not crying…it’s just…too funny. You are so funny, Lee Howon.”

Hoya smiles as he cupped her face and looks straight on her eyes. Caressing the soft cheek of her and wiping the happy tears that stained in there.

“You are mine. For eternity. Like it or not.” He said playfully.

“Well, don’t worry…I like it.” She whispered before leans closer to kiss him.

 

Two people watching the scenery with smile on their face and two cans of beer in front of them. Myungsoo and Soyou sit on the grass while watching the ‘dramatic’ scene of that happy couple from a far.

“How do you know that your brother can rap?” Soyou asked while sipping to her beer.

“He’s a hip-hop freak. I know he’s been worshipping Omarion and Ne-Yo.” Myungsoo  scoffed.

“Geez, I can’t watch it anymore. It’s so cheesy.”

“Yeah, it is. Which is mean we succeed, making a ‘cheesy birthday surprise’ for Hoya-hyung. Damn, arranging a meeting with Lee Jonghyun is so hard; I had to ask for my sunbae from high school band for that. Lucky that he’s working on FNC.” He laughs. Soyou chuckles as she steals a glance at him, noticing that Myungsoo’s eyes still observing the two lovers there. She catches some vibe from those lovely eyes, but she doesn’t know what it is.

“You still like her.” She concluded.

“What?”

“You still like her. Your brother’s girlfriend.”

“Maybe. Or maybe not. Well, how can I not like her? She’s likable.” Myungsoo smiles before gulping to his can. Soyou looks down and scoffed, stay in silent for about 5 minutes, making Myungsoo turns a glance at her because she’s way to quiet.

“It must be nice, isn’t it? Be a likable person.” She’s smiling while still look at ground. Myungsoo saw emptiness on that girl’s voice, or maybe it’s just loneliness. The thing is…he can do nothing about that. For now.

 

PS: Sorry, cheesiness overload. :p I bet you guys know 'Love Light' from CNBLUE's Blue Love album. It's a simple but romantic song I think, and somehow match with the story. LOL. Anyway, I want to thank all the subscribers, comments and upvoters. It really gives me courage to keep writing. Thank you guys! :D