Love Her Too Much

Monochrome

“Wake up, sleepyhead. How could your boss pay you high salary if what you’re doing during the work time is sleeping?” A soft whisper surprised Hoya who’s sleeping on his desk. He instantly wakes up, lifting his heavy head. He finds a beautiful smiling face of his girlfriend in front of him

“Oh? You’re here. Geez, how long I’ve been asleep?” Hoya asked while rubbing his puffy eyes.

“I don’t know. Long, I guess. I brought you some food. I knew you haven’t eaten lunch, right?” She said while placing the lunch box in the table.

“How do you know?” Hoya smiles.

“Ya, Lee Howon, how long has been we dating? Seriously, you’re smart but you become so dumb when it comes to taking care of yourself.”

“That’s why you need to take care of me.”

“Cheesy.” She scoffed. Later she opens the lunch box, revealing well-made kimbab, kimchi stew and other side dishes. Hoya gratefully takes the chopstick and start eating. Bora smiles watching her boyfriend eating so happily. She’s been worried about him a lot lately. Hoya is busy with his work in architecture company and the thing about Myungsoo is not helping either.

“How’s your deadline? Is it done?” Hoya’s voice broke her thought.

“Yeah, I’ve finished this week headlines.”

“Who’s this week artist?” He asked curiously while swallowing a kimbab.

“Flower boy band. CNBLUE.” Bora smiles proudly.

“Well, they’re so popular these days.”

“Yeah, they’re hot nowadays. Handsome, talented and charming. I feel so good just editing their article.”

“Ya! You are too old to do fangirling.” Hoya yelled in jealousy.

“Noisy…” Bora chuckles. She can’t help it. Even though she’s 24 now, but a fan girl will still be a fan girl.

“Myungsoo was in a band too. In high school.” Hoya said with wondering eyes. Bora's expression changed. Now she's studying her boyfriend face.

“Really?”

“Hmm…he played guitar. They were good and even won some festivals.”

“Wow, he must be more popular than you in high school.” She teases, making the latter laughs a little.

“Yeah, I was a nerd back then." Hoya said while take a sip of water. "Myungsoo…also met Hyorin because of the band. They met in a school band festival.” Hoya’s expression suddenly become saddens. Bora notices that. The thing about Hyorin is a sensitive issue for Myungsoo.

“Myungsoo and Hyorin? They were together for a long time, then.”

“Yeah…so you can imagine what he felt when it happened.”

“Worst.” Bora said.

“You’re not gonna do the same to me right?” Suddenly Hoya looks at her with a serious expression. She’s surprised a little.

“What are you talking about? Hoya, don’t ever think that I’m gonna…”

“Arasso, I’m just kidding, okay…” He smiles.

“Stupid.” Bora said.

“Let’s finish it. We’re heading to hospital after this.”

 

Myungsoo still refuses to eat no matter how weak he become. He just wanna sleep forever. He doesn’t understand why people keep bothering him. Especially Hoya. He will show up every day persuading Myungsoo to eat. No matter how many times Myungsoo refuses. But today, he’s not showing up. Instead it’s that girl who shows up, Bora. She brings the tray of food in her hand.

“Go…” Myungsoo said before Bora start saying anything.

“I will. After you eat.”

“I’m not hungry.”

“I know you’re not. But you have to eat. I don’t care if I have to force you, today you have to eat.”

“What’s wrong with you? First, Hoya hyung, now you too? Why don’t you guys just leave me alone?”

“Do you know why I’m here today instead of Hoya?”

“Who cares? Maybe he’s done pitying me.”

“He’s knocked out of cold. He insisted to keep coming here, but he can’t even get up from bed.”

“Are you saying he’s sick because of my fault? I don’t ask him to stay here.”

“Right. It’s not your fault. It’s Hoya’s fault. He’s so stupid to sacrifice everything just to take care of coward like you.”

“You right, I’m a coward. And so?”

“So I’m begging you…” She said. Myungsoo shocked when he saw a tear drops from her wide eyes.

“I’m begging you to open your eyes and see that there are people who truly care about you. I have no idea how much pain that you feel right now. You must feel worse, but…isn’t we all are feeling pain? You’re not the only one. Of course maybe mine not as hurt as yours, but…can you please…give us chance to heal it?”

Myungsoo stares at Bora in dazed. He doesn’t expect her to be like this. He may not too close with Hoya’s girlfriend, but from what he saw, Bora is a tough girl that usually doesn’t cry. It’s surprising. Somehow there’s a sad feeling in his chest seeing her like that. Myungsoo takes a deep breathe while his eyes wandering through the white ceiling.

“Hoya hyung….do you love him that much?”

“You have no idea.”

“I was like that too. People have no idea how much I love Hyorin.” Myungsoo smiles bitterly.

“Myungsoo…”

“People always said bad things about her. Some rumor and issues. But I never believe in any of it. Because I love her too much. After all the worst thing that happen in my life, Hyorin is like a light that always remind me that…life is not so bad.”

Myungsoo thought walking down through the memory lane. The days he spent with Hyorin it’s like finding a sun light after walking in darkness for years. But who knows…that light suddenly become so blinding…and burn his eyes. Just like what happened that day. Two months ago.

 

[flashback]

“Please, tell me she’s alright…tell me you can save her.”

“We tried. We lost her before we can bring her to the hospital. We're so sorry.”

Myungsoo crumbled down on the hospital floor. Tears can stop falling from his eyes. He’s screaming in frustration. He was having a small fight with Hyorin this morning. That’s why he didn’t come to pick her up from her photo shoot location. It’s his fault. If only he pick her up, she wouldn’t get into accident. Because Myungsoo is a good driver. She will be safe. Myungsoo feels so sorry. It was the biggest regret in his life.

“We're sorry, we can’t save them both.”

“Both?” Myungsoo looked at the doctor in dazed.

“Hyorin-ssi and Sungyeol-ssi.”

“What?”

Myungsoo didn’t know, when the accident happened, Hyorin was with Sungyeol. Yeah, that Sungyeol. Lee Sungyeol. His best friend. They were together.

The rumor was right. Hyorin was cheating on Myungsoo all this time.

[end of flashback]

 

Myungsoo is wiping the tears on his cheek. But his eyes keep watering. He continues sobbing until finally broke down. Bora is shocked seeing that. She holds his hands and rubbing his back. She’s looking into Myungsoo pale face. It’s just like Hoya said. Myungsoo is a unique person. He’s a person with captivating eyes that always make people drowned into it. It’s beautiful. He may appear cold, tough and dark…but when sadness drawn to his face, you want nothing but to embrace him tightly and wipe his pain away. That’s what Bora feels right now.

 

That day, Myungsoo eat more than a half bowl of chicken soup.