Linger

Monochrome

Myungsoo walks alone at the roadside near the subway station. It’s almost 8 PM and the air is cold, but still a lot of people walking around. The street still crowded by folks and the lights from stores alongside the road. To be honest Myungsoo doesn’t know why he walks in this place. He never went to Hongdae alone unless for photo hunting. But three days ago, he got a call from Bora, asking him to meet tonight at the park near Hongdae’s subway station. It’s odd; clearly Bora is the one that’s been avoiding him. Since he moved out from Hoya’s apartment two days ago, Myungsoo never meet any of them, but he heard those two had a fight. And Myungsoo clearly knows that ‘his confession’ is the trigger of that fight. So that’s why…this meeting will be odds.

 

Myungsoo arrives at the park at exactly 8 PM. He saw a figure in black hoodie, jeans and sneakers, sitting in the bench alone. Myungsoo approaching that figure. He’s a little bit surprised to find a paper bag full with bottles of soju beside her. Bora smiles at him like usual. But this time Myungsoo doesn’t smiles back. Because he doesn’t know if she’s drunk or not.

“You’re here? Sit here…” She points at the empty space in the bench beside her. Myungsoo sits beside her casually. Bora takes another bottle of soju and a small glass then gives it to Myungsoo.

“Here. The first shot.”

“Are you drunk?” Myungsoo eyeing her carefully.

“Kid, you’re underestimating me. You have to call the police if I drunk. This is nothing.” She chuckled.

“Why do you want to meet me?”

“Don’t you want to meet me? You said you like me, right? Don’t you miss me?” She teases.

“Are you sure you’re really not drunk?” Myungsoo scoffed while pouring his first shot.

“I’m kidding. Don’t worry; my tolerance of alcohol is no joke.” She smiles.

“You said you want to tell me something.” Myungsoo said after grinning at the taste of the alcohol. He looks at Bora’s face; she’s smiling so confidently, making Myungsoo confused.

“I’m going to tell you something.”

“Then go on.”

“You have to promise me first.”

“Promise what?”

“Promise that you won’t interrupt me before I finish. Because it may take quiet long time.”

“Okay. Promise.”

Bora takes something from her bag. Myungsoo looks at that curiously while gulping on his second shots. It’s a rolled paper tied by red ribbon. Bora opens it and show the building design to Myungsoo. From the first look Myungsoo knows its Hoya’s.

“Look at these black spots. It’s my Americano. Didn’t I tell you that the first time I meet him was in the subway and I spilled my Iced Americano to his design? He said he didn’t sleep for two nights just to finish this thing.” Bora laughs while Myungsoo just keeps silent.

“But I didn’t tell you how can I spill my coffee on him, right? Well…It’s quite ridiculous story.”

 

I was drunk. Really drunk. I was like a mess. I don’t remember how much I drink. I don’t really care, because I was sad that time. My boyfriend just dumped me. Yeah…that tall greasy guy… that college jerks. Sure, that’s not the first time I got dumped, but I still sad and angry. So I went out drink alone at the store near my campus. I went home at almost 8 PM and I walk to the subway station in my very drunk state. But turns out walking drunk is scary, so I bought coffee to make me hangover. When the subway comes, I sit near the preppy looking student with a fiery face who wears a big backpack and holding a lot of paper. He was wearing thick glasses and he looks at me in disgusted expression. I bet he must be think, ‘What kind of girl she is? Drunk, alone and messy. Pathetic.’ His face was so funny. I really want to laugh, that guy was cute and annoying at the same time.

 

By the time we arrived at the Hongdae station I stand up and getting ready to get off. But my stupid head feels like floating, I was about to fall. Surprisingly that fiery looking guy helps me so I won’t fall and unintentionally my coffee spilled on his T-shirt. Okay... it’s just a T-shirt. But then I realize that it’s also spilled on his paper. The moment he saw that was scarier that horror movies.

He looks at me like he was about to kill me. I got scared then I get off from the train in a rush. But that guy follows me while holding his ruined paper.

 

“Excuse me! Miss…you spilled your goddamned coffee on my paper.” He talks to me but I keep walking. I pretend that I didn’t hear him.

“Excuse me! Can’t you hear me? You can’t even say sorry?” He keeps following me. But I keep ignoring him. I’m afraid he’s going to kill me.

“Hey, Miss… Don’t you know how I work on this paper? This is my final assignment of the most difficult subject in Architectural major faculty. I spent two nights with no sleep to finish this. I spent almost two months observing the building. I spent more than 50.000 won for the research and equipment. All of those just to finish this paper. This is the major I can’t fail and I have to get an A to make my GPA perfect. But you just ruined it with your goddamned coffee and you don’t even say sorry. You just left. That’s the most irresponsible action that I ever saw for the rest of 20 years of my life. Miss…hey…can you stop? I’m talking to you.”

He grabs my hand and I turn around. Unconsciously, I shout back at him.

“Then what do you want me to do?!”

“You have to take responsibility! Or I will report you to the police for ruining property and sabotage.”

“Mwo? Are you crazy?”

“No. You are the one who’s crazy!” He shouts…well, not too loud actually. But I was so drunk and somehow his words trigger my emotional side.

“You’re right. I’m crazy. He said that too. He said I’m weird. I’m a freak. He said I might be crazy…and…and he left me…Huaaaaaaaaaaaaaa…” I cried like a baby and he seems surprised.

“W..wh..what?”

“He left me. I’m pretty sure now he’s with Jiyeon because she’s prettier and she’s not crazy like me. He dumped me because I’m crazy. Like you said, I’m really crazy.” I keep crying and now he looks like regretting yelled at me.

“Aiissh…Miss…are you drunk?”

“Am I? Maybe…blame it on the store ahjussi who played that stupid song.”

“W…wha..what song?”

“The song that Woo and I used to listened years ago. Huaaaaaaa…” I sobbed shamelessly. I really hear that song when I was in the store. That guy looks at me dumbfounded. I stand up, taking out my phone from my pocket. Playing the song as I sing a long. He looks at me blankly.

“You know I’m such a fool for you…

You got me right upon your finger…

Do you have to let linger?

Do you have to?

Do you have to let it linger?”

I keep singing while walking closer towards him and pull his jacket sleeves.

 

“Do you know what happened next?” She asked. Myungsoo keeps silent.

“We dance. I cried like an insane person and I was begging him to dance with me. He refused at first but I cried harder. I guess he doesn’t want people to look at him weirdly so he ends up dance with me. Song from my mp3. Cranberries – Linger. We dance until we both get tired. Then we talk until almost midnight. I told him about my exes. He told me about his stresses about college. Then we drink coffee until I get sober. We laugh endlessly. Then we end up not sleeping all night because I have to help him redo the assignment.” She chuckled. But Myungsoo can see her eyes started glittering. She stands up, taking her phone from her hoodie pocket and playing the exact same song. Cranberries – Linger. A very old song. Suddenly Myungsoo remembers the high school girl he met in the hospital. Soyou. She was singing this song too. This song must be has a lot of meaning for people with broken heart and faint memories.

 

“We dance. Right here. In this song.” Suddenly she grabs Myungsoo’s hand, asking him to stands up. She puts his hand on his shoulder. Myungsoo just stay freeze as she sway on the melody. She starts to sing along…humming the lyric, while tears start flowing. Myungsoo feels a pang hits his heart. Memory is such a worst enemy. Even the beautiful one. And it keeps lingering like a bittersweet taste on our heart.

“I may be too drunk to remember…but I remember…he’s so warm. It was so awkward, but it was feels so right. I didn’t know what was it…but lately I know. It was love. I love him. I love him till now. Hoya.... I love him too much. I love Lee Howon so ing badly.”

Too much love. Somehow that phrase just familiar for Myungsoo. Too much love turns people into fools. Or maybe turns them to the brave one…

“But I’m too coward…I can’t even say it in front of him.”She cried. Myungsoo who’s standing in front of her just takes a deep breathe. Somehow Myungsoo hates himself for making her hurting. But he can help that he also feeling hurt.

 “What should I do now, Myungsoo?” Her voice got hoarse. Myungsoo looks at her closely. His trembling hand pushes away her bangs. Myungsoo sighed, before gently says.

“Go. Tell him.”

 

Hoya was about to turn the light off and go to sleep when suddenly he hears the bells ringing. Someone’s in his door. It’s already late. Hoya is wondering who wants to meet him at this hour. He opens the door and finds Bora standing there. Messy hair, messy clothes, alcohol smell and smiling face. Hoya is so surprised.

“Bora-ya…”

“I love you. 100 %...no 1000% love you. I know it now. I’m not doubt it anymore.” She said bluntly.

“What…”

“Earlier you asked me, whether you really the one that I love or Myungsoo. The answer is you. It’s always been you. I knew it already. Do you know why? Because even though I spent my time with anybody else all I can think about is you. Yeah, you. Your stupid smile. Your righteous thought. Your awkward behavior. Even every little random thing that you do. That’s all I think about. You asked me, if really want you. Yeah, I’m ing want you. Not just now, but all my lifetime. You’re the one that I want.” She’s babbling, while Hoya looks at her in daze.

“That’s why, don’t you dare to let me go. Don’t you even try to give me up, okay…And don’t ever doubt my love for you again. Please, Hoya…” She said. Almost like begging.

Hoya looks at her dumbfounded. But a few seconds later he smiles then he laughs. A warm feeling in his chest.

“Then come here.” Hoya spreads his arms ready to embrace her. Bora smiles as he hugs him tightly. Like she will never let it go. Hoya smiles and places a kiss in her head.

“I miss you…” Bora said while gripping his chest. Her voice still hoarse.

“I miss you too…I’m sorry, I’m not gonna doubt you again.” Hoya said while placing his lips into hers. They’re entering the apartment while giggling and smiling. Hoya missed her, her smile, her messy hair and her quirky behavior. He misses his girl so bad. So is Bora. Now after they think about it, they feel so stupid for ever doubting each other. Because clearly, their feelings never change.

Hoya hugs her tights, feeling the tears of Bora in his shirt. He smiles as he lifts her face and wiping tears on her cheek. They both laugh as Hoya lift her body and start kissing her again. Traveled from her lips to her neck passionately. Like they’ve been separated for years, even though in fact they just don’t see each other in a few days. To be honest these past few days has been hell for Hoya. No matter how stressed and tired he is because of the works, Bora will always be there. All this time. Saying non sense things and weird jokes. Cooking lunch for him and disturbing him with her loud rock music. Hoya missed all of that. Hoya missed her so bad. Right now, he can’t be happier.

They broke the kiss when Bora suddenly feels something weird on Hoya’s lips. Red and thick liquid on Hoya’s face and metal taste.

“Hoya?” She asked worriedly.

“Damn it!” Hoya tries to block his nose.

“Oh my God…your nose bleeding again?” She said almost like screaming.

“Uhh?’

“Crap, you must have taking aspirin, right? Aishh…you now you can’t take too much of that thing. It’s blood thinner.” Bora quickly grabs tissues from her bag, press it gently on Hoya’s nose, while guiding him to sits on the couch. The latter just obeyed and keeps silent.

“Why do you take aspirin again? You know that thing is not good for you.”

“I got slight headache.”

“You should just go to doctor, asking for safer medicine. Aiishh…wait, keep pressure on it. I’ll get some ice.” She runs quickly towards Hoya’s kitchen, taking out some ice and clean towel. She wrapped the ice with the towel and presses it gently on Hoya’s nose, while still babbling on how stupid Hoya for taking aspirin, how dangerous it is, and how Health Ministry should sell aspirin only with doctor's prescribtion. Hoya wants to laugh on how much he loves the way she talks.

“Mianhae…don’t be mad. It’s not like the first time I got nosebleeds.”

“Are you kidding me?! How can I’m not be mad?! It’s worrisome. You are the smart guy! You have your freaking smart brain! Even you were in science major. Don’t you know how dangerous it is?” She keeps babbling. Hoya wants to laugh on how he missed that harsh words.

“Aigooo…stop yelling please…You make me dizzier.” Hoya rolled his eyes.

“I just left you for a few days…and you already like this.” She mumbles.

“That means you can’t leave me again. Never. Okay?” Hoya stares at him lovingly. She smiles, as the bleeding stops. Carefully Hoya grips into her hands and hold it tightly.

“Arasso…” She said while placing a kiss on his forehead.

 

Myungsoo still sitting in the park bench, ignoring how cold the air. Well, he doesn’t feel cold at all because the warm of the soju in his throat makes him forget it all. Myungsoo laugh, at the end its Hoya again. At the end Bora choose Hoya. It’s bitter at first, but he doesn’t know why he feels relieved. Funny, the moment he told Bora to ‘go and tell him’, he feels so free. Even though it’s a little bit hurt seeing how happy that beautiful girl running…leaving Myungsoo to find Hoya.

“So is it the end? My bad guy phase.” He scoffed.

“At the end I’m failed to be a villain. Omma…maybe you’re right…maybe I’m still an innocent angel after all.” He laughs as he takes the last bottle.

Myungsoo smiles while pouring another shot of soju. At the end he finished the whole bottle. Myungsoo thinks he must be drunk right now. He was about to leave because the night gets colder when suddenly his phone ringing. Unknown number. Myungsoo answers it lazily.

“Hello…”

“Is it Kim Myungsoo-ssi?” A woman voice.

“Yes. Who is it?”

“Can we meet?”

“Depends on who are you and what are you going to talk about.

“It’s about Kim Yewon-ssi.”

“What?”

 

PS: Thank you for all your feedback! :) I read them happily...